Divine Bovines

You're on Page 1 of 7
Go to
  • Well, that's all I could come up with. I was going to go with something about Cow Tipping, but I couldn't get it right.

NMP is Not My Problem.

Well, I finished watching my recording of the Oscars. And I must have missed at least an hour of it! I didn't see best actor or actress, best song, or best movie. I am p-o'ed. How the heck long did it go??

Oh, and I also missed my favorite part, all the movie stars who died last year. The Morbid Roll Call, you know.

Grr.

Our snow is melting. It's in the low 30s and sunny. We have some bare lawn. Next to the 6 foot drifts. Guess I'd better get outside and do something snow-y before it turns into a skating rink.

Oh yeah, DH finally called around 10 pm. He was on one of those flights where they load you on and make you wait in the plane for some undetermined length of time. Turned out to be around 2 hours. I would have lost my **** by that time. I am not good with being confined. I can't believe they are making that standard airline procedure. I wonder how long before they have a case of "tarmac rage".

Kiwi
  • Well, geez, you're just going to let me dangle out here all by myself??? Do you realize I am on my own for 2 weeks and anything could happen??

For instance, on Monday my eye doctor swiped my reading glasses to replace the lenses (yes, I get lovely Calvin Klein prescription reading glasses because I am spoiled) and I can't read a thing? I had to up the text size on my browser. How embarrassing. Fortunately there is nobody here but Jet to laugh at me, and she is the soul of understanding.

And then today, I went to my regular doctor and he gave me a nasty steroid shot in my elbow. Apparently I have reached the end of the road for "conservative measures". It hurt. "This is going to sting a little" Yeah. Fooled me, actually -- the first little pinprick of the needle was barely noticeable, and I thought Oh this isn't so bad. Then he started grinding it around inside my elbow. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhh.

You know, I wouldn't have written that quite so graphically if there was anyone else here to read it...

So anyway my arm's kind of sore, but for the first time in months, I can straighten my arm completely, without excruciating pain!! Amazing. I'm going to baby it for a while, but I have hopes.

Kiwi
  • hi kiwonk---let's take row call----cowpernia-absent,shatzi--absent,sugar--absent,wabby-absent.painty-absent,cherry-absent,WHO ELSE IS MISSING????? OH YES,LUSHIOUS---SHE IS A TRUANT FOR SURE-----also -------JUNE seems to be absent as well---i will call dusty rose on anyone who doesn't appear in the pasture PRONTO!!!---AND PAINTY AND SHATZI HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S IN FOR THEM IF THEY DON'T SHOW UP!!!---- okay,so POOR KIWI!!!--- THAT ELBOW SHOT SOUNDED TERRIBLE--- but being able to move your arm sounded nice!!!----you and jet all alone with the kitty kats for awhile----sounds like FUN!!!-----on a sad note,i just got an email from my friend's daughter----my friend who passed away unexpectedly a few weeks ago---she is sooooooooo sad----she is 20 years old---she said " i miss my mommy,she was my best friend"-----breaks my heart----i guess these kids really do need us no matter how old they are---i am trying to keep in contact with her cause i don't want her to feel alone,but she said "everyone is moving on,and i feel worse every day"------man,life sucks sometimes.sorry to end on a downer---let me see,if i make fun of someone i can bring the level back up-----how about----PEACHERS FOUND HER GREEN SHOE!!!! no,that won't work---anyone want to buy some period sponges-grosssssssssssssssss
  • Kiwi--NMP either. Great new thread title. I don't think they DID a morbid roll call. Or if they did, I missed it, too. It seems prematurely warm here. The tulips are pointing their little shoots up, the grape hyacinths are actually blooming as are the neighbors narcissus and daffodils. Glad your DH didn't make the news with length of tarmac tarrying OR rage response. He must be a good guy. DD is in Miami this week… hope all is calm for her. Sorry about the elbow grinding. That sounds horrid. perhaps you could grind the MD's instep next time? But I'm sure your tennis elbow will be fit as a fiddle when the snow melts.

Baggz… I hate feeling helpless when somebody else feels bad. I'm sure your friend's daughter will come through her grief… but in her own good time. I no longer have ANY need for period sponges… which is a GOOD thing about getting old. I wonder if you can paint with them?!!

I'm crabby. but I showed up.
  • sheepish grin
    I am not absent, just cranky and lurking! It's the annual Birthday Extravaganza - three birthdays in the course of two weeks (my baby just turned 14!! How old does that make me???) and I must organize stuff.
  • Sug--
    Just wait till your baby is 25! That'll make you even older! Hope the extravaganza has some fun places.

Hey, y'all: What do you eat for breakfast?
    I've been up for hours and I'm afraid to eat anything.
  • Wow, I feel so bad for your friend's daughter, Bagz. That's heartbreaking. Is she in college? One of DD's friends lost her mom last summer shortly after graduation. The girl had tons of support from her mother's friends and friends' mothers and so on, and she seems to be doing quite well. Can't be easy, though. For a while I thought her father was going to pull a whiny selfish how can you leave me alone with your little brothers bull****, but there were so many people keeping an eye on them that that didn't happen.

Quote: It seems prematurely warm here. The tulips are pointing their little shoots up, the grape hyacinths are actually blooming as are the neighbors narcissus and daffodils.
    How lovely! It's prematurely warm here too: 31 degrees!
    Quote: Glad your DH didn't make the news with length of tarmac tarrying OR rage response. He must be a good guy.
    Well, he's certainly more even tempered than I am. Case in point: I am about to email the daily newspaper a scathing letter to the editor about this very prominent woman who I think is vile. DH would never do such a thing. I will thoroughly enjoy it.
    Quote: That sounds horrid. perhaps you could grind the MD's instep next time?
    Oo! good idea! On second thought, nah, he did me a favor, I'm sure. Even though it still gives the heebiejeebies when I think about the shot, the elbow is more flexible which is wonderful.
    Quote: Hey, y'all: What do you eat for breakfast?
    This week I've been eating Banana Nut Crunch with skim milk, and pomegranite juice cocktail. Truth be told, I don't usually eat breakfast; I just sip coffee all day and then pig out all evening. Very bad. I'd like to get into the habit of eating oatmeal at least a few times a week, but we'll see about that. I must improve my routine while DH is gone, or I will never do it.

Today something weird happened to the furnace; there were buckets of black smoke billowing out of the chimney. When I called the furnace people, they said Turn it off! We'll be out! Guy's here right now.

Something horrible always happens in this house when DH is gone. Last summer he missed the week of the multiple bats. Now the furnace goes blooey and we're due for a giant winter storm tomorrow. Oh well so it goes. It took 3 whole days for the house to think up something evil to do. I wonder what's next...

Best Wishes to the young Sugar Plum guy! He's a cutie -- love that photo on your blog.

Kiwi
  • Oooh, Kiwi... sorry about your furnace... Even at a "warm" 31 (ha!) you'll need it.
    I thought maybe if I ate something for breakfast I wouldn't eat all night, myself. Anybody else with SUCCESS stories?
  • I've been here, keeping an eye on you all I just feel bad posting when all my news is bad news..... but to h*ll with it, here it is.... Grandpa Jim is in the hospital. Yesterday morning he started to get out of bed, got dizzy and fell down. He spent the day dragging himself to the phone and at 3 pm managed to call 911. DS and I got there at about the same time as the ambulance, Grandpa arguing that he was fine, he didn't want to go to the hospital. Anyway, he has some kind of internal bleeding going on, they gave him 4! units of blood and today will be doing tests to figure out why he's bleeding. I'd been worried about him and I'd made a Dr.'s appt for this afternoon. I was just a day late and a dollar short on that one.

Bagzie, my heart goes out to your friend's daughter. My DD has expressed the same feeling about how all her friend's lives are going on and her's has changed forever and no one seems to understand. You still need both your parents when you're in your 20's. My kids tell me all the time how often that urge to "ask Dad about it" hits.

DD is in southern CA for 2 weeks (with the BF), b/c her boyfriend's dad uses a walker (some kind of back injury) and now broke his leg so he needs help, plus BF's step mom has terminal cancer. I have sole custody of the weiner dog while they're gone. Aarrrgh. It's a yapper, runs away from me, & if you do manage to pick it up, it pees in the floor b/c it's so excited. This dog has no redeeming qualities, and yet I have nightmares about something happening to her b/c she's DD's baby. Actually, being pissed about the dog helps keep my mind off being alone. DS will be staying here part of the time anyway, I think he needs the company as much as I do.

And there is your cheery morning update.
  • Quote: And there is your cheery morning update.
    Well, I'm glad to hear what's going on, I don't need cheery. Sorry to hear about Grampa Jim, I hope he'll be okay. Too bad he didn't have one of those emergency buttons. But he's probably too stubborn for that, eh? Well, hopefully he's too stubborn to let this get the better of him too.

We are in the midst of a big snowstorm. I've shovelled the steps twice already just since about noon (don't worry, not overdoing). I drove into town too. The driving wasn't bad, certainly not blizzard conditions, but it's still coming down. They say we might get 9-15 inches. Decided to go in the woods for a little snowshoeing when I got back from town. The trail we've broken in there is quite nice. It now has 3 or 4 inches of fresh snow on top of it, but that's no problem. It is so pretty in the woods -- this is the kind of snow that sticks to the branches of fir trees and weighs them down. I forgot to take my camera with me, durn it. Maybe tomorrow. I did have my cellphone with me, so I called DD. The foolish girl hopped on the bus today because her bf couldn't get out of Portland due to the storm. It's just raining in Boston, so the buses are running. However something tells me that at some point between Boston and Portland, they will run into something pretty yucky. BF says it is hailing on top of the snow where he is. DD might get stranded at the bus station, wouldn't that be a fun way to spend the weekend?

DH on the other hand is soaking in the sun in Fla., gloating no doubt. I really think he is due some consequences, don't you think?

Kiwi
  • You have to go read these. They're hilarious.

Have you all seen the latest images of Saturn? They're awesome. Here's the page about the Cassini Huygens mission. Wow.

My yard and driveway have been plowed out. My dinner is marinating. My DD arrived safely in Portland. All is right with the world.

Kiwi
  • Kiwi-- Thanks for the laughs. And the role modeling: plowed but not inebriated, dinner in progress and daughter close by. Way to go.
    I'm off to forage. There's hockey in progress and I'm REALLY hungry. DH must be really sleepy... or something. Haven't heard from him in hours. Not so good.
  • we are snowed in too kiwonk!!! WABBY!!!!-please come here and tell us your news!!! you know we are all ears and hearts!!!---please do not refrain from saying anything you like----we love you and miss you!!!!! poor grandpa jim!!!! man,those old folks are all the same--my friend's 83 year old mother HAD one of those things around her neck,but even though she fell in the middle of the night between the bed and the dresser,SHE DIDNT' PRESS THE BUTTON CAUSE SHE DIDN'T WANT TO BOTHER ANYONE IN THE NIGHT!!!!- she just did not understand that a call centre thousands of miles away would take the call and alert the local authorities---she thought she would be GETTING SOMEONE OUT OF BED!!!!!----so ,there you go!!
  • That's really cute. But we want them to be safe! I know, it's hard to convince a lot of people to accept help. Ourselves included, huh? I'm thinking of scraping my own roof instead of hiring someone to do it. It's a beautiful day and I should be outside in the sunshine, right? Well, if it doesn't hurt my elbow, I'm going to do it.

I wrote a letter to the editor of the daily newspaper. Then I wrote on the same subject in the online forum of the newspaper. I know I'm right and what I have to say is worth saying, but the idea of people reading it and arguing or whatever makes me sick to my stomach. I did it anyway. Surprisingly, DD followed up on my online message. I'm proud of her. But I'm still a little nauseous. What a wimp I am, huh?

Gotta go drink more coffee.

Kiwi
  • Wow, isn't this annoying?