Old 01-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #106  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Wow, 24 hours later and no one has been here? What's going on with that?

Hope everyone is ok and just busy. January is usually a more active time of the year on the boards here. But it's been rather quiet all over. I know myself that I've had problems getting to this site on a regular basis. It seems very slow to respond and some times it just plain locks up. And I'm on high speed internet - can only imagine how it is for you on a dial-up connection.

Another weekend rolls around and January is almost over - can you believe it? Today is an eye doctor appointment - routine check up and I want to order some different glasses. I don't like the frames I have even tho I've received compliments on them. DH has to get his reading glasses adjusted too. We'll probably go out for a late lunch / early dinner afterwards. It's supposed to get rainy this afternoon with only a high of 37 degrees tomorrow. Brrrrrrrr. Will be a good weekend to hang around and do things around the house. I also have the next bookclub book to read - it's only a little over 200 pages so I should easily get that done. Trouble is, I say next weekend, next weekend and then the book is due back to the library and I've only read 10 pages

Time to go hop in the shower or I'll be late. Have a good weekend everybody - talk later.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #107  
Smackin' into a Wall

Morning all. It's almost noon and I've only been up for a little over two hours. I almost fell asleep on the couch last night so I was in bed by shortly after 11… and slept right through until 9:45. I’ve been up and breakfasted and fed the cats and fed my friend Gord’s cat and taken in my other friend’s paper. They have jetted off to Paris for the weekend. Actually they got a two for one deal on the airline tickets so it wasn’t that expensive… but still. Darn jet setters!

It was snowing yesterday and now the ground is all white. Roads look relatively dry but the sidewalks are sloppy. We were going to go out and buy comics and shop for a new coat for the DH, but we decided to put that off until tomorrow and just stay in. DH is wearing my old work baseball jacket as a casual winter coat. It has the name of a certain well known tourist attraction emblazoned across the back. Not exactly subtle – though I do manage to run into a lot of old co-workers or relatives of old co-workers this way. Party to go to tonight – where I will watch the consumables.

Happy~ I’m not sure “caring” is a bad thing for a doctor to be. My doctor is good but I sometimes feel he is watching the clock and calculating how much each conversation we have is making him. And we don’t even pay for visits.

Mel~ I hope you get better soon. If it makes you feel bad don’t stare at the evil computer screen. Have a nice natter with Shaddie.

Shad~ I admire your take on chocolate. You made some chocolate addict very happy. Who knew that sitting at the back of the plane is just like sitting in the back of the school bus when you are a kid.

Meadow~ Your cake sounds good. Didn’t know you could use leftover pudding that way. Yeah, it is a strange old world. Wonder why they only put a double bed in the dowry?

Holly~ I’m so glad you are enjoying your new job and the change in lifestyle. How’s your Dh is adapting.

Ceejay~ Hope your uncle and aunt feel better. Enjoy your workout and then your visit.

Getting too hard to type. Maggie demands so love, so I better deliver. Everyone have an excellent day.
Madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #108  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Yesterday's non-entry is what happens when you decide that you won't post just now and that you will think about what you want to say and come back!
Must be age setting in.
When I got in on Thursday night, I had a letter from the Dr's surgery waiting for me following up on the blood tests I had after the previous visit, and since they were closed Friday (Aust Day holiday) I went along Saturday and spent too much time on his waiting room chairs. To tell the truth I was a little annoyed because the tone of the letter suggested I needed to get in there tout suite, and last time they rang me about blood tests it was the same thing. I think they want to scare us into going. And the outcome of that last time was that my sugar levels were up somewhat - well d'oh stone fruit and mangos will do that to a body. But I digress. So when I got in to see him, I'm asking why I am spending my precious weekend gracing his uncomfortable waiting room chairs!!! Well I get told my thyroid levels are perfect, my sugars are perfect, my cholesterol level is at 5.9 which is probably normal for me (normal is under 5.7 apparently) but I have abnormal fatty enzyme in liver tests. Am I well? Yes. Do I drink a lot (chance would be a fine thing) No. Any other reason I can think of? Nope. Hop on the couch - and he tries to give me a hand to hop up on the examing table. Hello, this is the near enough 58 year old who is flexible enough to touch her toes, who runs a k in 8.50 to 9.0minutes and who can lift more than he can and he wants to give me a hand up one step. Anyway to cut a long story short. I am perfectly healthy, no enlarged liver no lumps bumps and/or cysts that can be seen and the enzymes are probably not a problem and normal for me. I need to have a liver scan to prove all this. So I sat for 2 hours to find out nothing new. Gotta love the medical profession.

Meadow - Paris for the weekend?!! Yaahoo, by the time they get there, won't the weekend be almost over? Or are they flying in in the middle of the night and not sleeping until they get on the plane to come home? I guess it is only about 6 hours from Canada tho. It's a 23 hour trip from here. Paris - city of light and food and excitement and snooty Parisians! Enjoy it anyway. I always reckon that France would be fine without the French in it. The country is lovely.

Happy - enjoy the new glasses and frames. I have no choice but to buy new frames everytime I get new lenses. I seem to have a habit of choosing those that will corrode from skin acids so by the end of the year or 18 months between appointments they are looking pretty tacky.

Time to go do something else. We are going to breakfast this morning, DS2, DB2 and the attendant hangers on. I'm trying to ring Mel, but she is again engaged. I'll try some more later. Meantime I'd better go get dressed and start on some housework. I need DS2 to look at the air con which started spitting out water yesterday. Shame, could have done with it last night since it was steaming again and still is. Grey skies full of water, high humidity, but as yet no more rain. See you all.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:09 PM   #109  
Choose your hard

Shad,

What is it with the liver enzymes? New hot test??? Last year they got me all worried something fierce. Your liver looks out of sort - Something isn't right - do you use drugs? do you drink? well maybe 2 glasses of wine in a month Depends on how often we go to the Japanese restaurant (love my one glass of plum wine) thank God they didn't ask me if I have sex with random, multiple partners but to answer that one in case you were wondering So no case of anything that can cause any sort of symptom but must hurry to the hospital to schedule a liver scan. Quarts of blood taken, poken and probed all over and you guessed it ... NOTHING. Ok well we will just monitor. Actually I did some of my own research and after what I read it's a wonder we don't all have hepatitis.

In any event, I am glad to hear you are A-okay. Shame though to waste an already short precious weekend waiting on the doctor.

As far as the glasses go, you're pretty much stuck with whatever the style is at the time. Sometimes it's hard for me - the teeny tiny frames they had last year don't work with my prescription. Lots of frames, including the designer ones which I don't get anyway have rhinestones in them - yuck. Oh wait, I just looked at mine and I have them too. I guess they are not rhinestones but crystals - mine are not as glittery as the ones on the front of the designer frames - think Dame Edna or something Mine are a little more subtle and on the sides of the frames. Doesn't matter, I'm replacing them anyway. Not found of the rectangular shapes out now but I found a pair in a dark brownish copper that weren't too bad. While getting fitted I told DH they would look fabulous with red hair like the woman sitting next to me. Been dabbling with the idea of going red again. I like it, makes my blue eyes really stand out and it's good for the overall coloring of the skin tone but red is so high maintenance. I like to switch up the look every once in a while. Madcat I thought you looked fabulous as a redhead. Not to say you aren't cute as a blond!

Madcat, sounds like you were in need of some good rest last night. Probably just what you needed to get rid of the last of the germs once and for all. So as far as the comics go are you collectors or do you follow a series and periodically hit the stores to pick up new copies? Comics, like cartoons have become quite sophisticated - a far cry from the days of Archie, Ritchie Rich and Little Lulu that I remember.

We stopped at the New Balance store on the way home. DH got a pair of walking shoes when I got my sneakers and they didn't have the style he got in my size in the women's section. So we tried this store. I thought I took a bigger size which they didn't have and while she was calling another store I took a look at the display model - a size 7.5 compared to the 9 I took in the sneakers. They were a perfect fit and are sooooo comfortable. And I have a really hard time finding comfortable shoes so this is wonderful to me. They are suede so I sprayed them with a water/stain repellant and will let them dry overnight. They will be good to go tomorrow. Good thing because I have lots of walking to do tomorrow. And with it being so cold, I will be walking FAST

So now I think I'll be brewing up a nice cup of tea and I'll go pop a load in the washer and sit down with my book club selection.

Shad if you talk to Mel tomorrow, tell her hello - we're still trying to work out the logistics of a chat session. Guess she likes you better

'Night all...

Last edited by happy2bme; 01-27-2007 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:18 PM   #110  

Didn't get to talk to Mel, she is investigating drips.
No not nasal drips or the variety we have here (idiot variety) like hot drips, dork drips, moron drips, drippy drips. She's investigating the wall variety of drips.

Besides which - I just tell her when I'm gonna call and she is there. Or sometimes she writes to say she isn't there or won't answer. She doesn't get much choice actually.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:57 AM   #111  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

This is a quiet place.

Mel--Feel better soon.

Hello to the rest
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #112  
Choose your hard

Default Burning questions

What is this new trend whereby people are calling everyone "hon"? Just try it hon, you might like it... there, there hon, it will be ok... thank you hun (can spell it hon or hun) - it kind of gets old after you hear it for the 12th time.

I notice that more and more people can't spell. Don't they know how to spell? Or are they just not good at it? Or don't they care? I think part of this derives from texting on the cell phones. They abbreviate things like u for you. It's one thing to make an occasional typo (I often type fast and put you when I mean your or vicesa versa but I definitely know the difference between your and you're, no and know, etc). When your entire ramble is full of misspellings, it doesn't reflect well on you. I have seen some people make comments on Amazon regarding books or music and they are practically foaming at the mouth because they are all worked up - ie. U r Stoopid because u kant no what good musik this really iz - and I think it's funny that people are starting to respond back "buy a book and learn how to spell". It just seems to be a growing trend.

And... what's with this thing about an inability to park between 2 lines in a parking space? Another thing I'm seeing more of. Why does this bother me you say? Well when I can't legitimately park because you are an inconsiderate, ignorant pig - not just to me but all the other patrons, then it's a problem. It started out with a few inconsiderate people who would take up 2 spots so that no one could park next to them. Now, if you want to park at the FAR end of the lot and do this, I say go for it. I have never had so many scratches in my car doors as I have since I moved down here with people just throwing the car doors open and banging into things here. But recently I've noticed more people pulling way over on the left side of the line leaving a big gap on the right. You can't pull over to the left of them because there's not enough space to pull in and inevitably someone is parked on their right side so no space there. You might be able to squeeze in on the left side, but you could not open the door to get out. Or they pull in crooked - really at a slant and lean over the line at the rear of the car. In either event, they either take up 2 parking spots at the front of the lot where everyone likes to park or worse than that, in a lot with limited parking spaces there's no available spots and here they are taking 2 of them. It bothers me because that's something you used to see once in a great while and now I see it every week so that means more and more people are doing it. I was at a store a couple of months ago and when I came out to put my bags in the car, some idiot parked crooked next to me. They were to the left side and I swear their right fender was 3 inches from my car. I could not enter the driver's side normally - had to walk all the way around a couple of cars to come over the other side to get in my door. And I was barely able to open the driver's side door. People just don't care about anything outside of themselves any more.

Ok, now that I got that off my chest

It's really cold outside. A high barely above freezing. I was hoping to grill some frozen meats I have sitting in the freezer but it's too cold even to do that. Guess I will have to look up some hearty soup recipes instead. This week I want to plan my meals a bit more exact. I'm going to try bouncing the WW points between an acceptable range instead of sticking with the same points each day to see if that makes a difference. All next week I have testing at my other office - it will be a temptation to go out to lunch with some friends I have in that complex but if I take my lunch and only plan for one outside meal, I think I'll do better. Slacked off on the exercise these last few days - got to get on track again. I have weaned myself away from the TV and computer - actually made some good progress yesterday with organizing and cleaning 2 rooms. Feels so much better than the guilt of spending the evening on the internet and feeling bad that I should have been doing something more constructive.

I got up early for a change - surprising too since the house was chilly and the blanket warm and snuggly But I intend to pop a load in the washer and go get my treadmilling done as soon as I get off here. Sunday's I run around quite a bit and if I leave the exercising to the evening, by then I'm tired and it doesn't get done. Then when I'm done I can make a nice brunch for me and DH and have a good start on the day.

Nothing like a plan, is there?

How is everyone doing today? I'll come back and check with you later.

Last edited by happy2bme; 01-28-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #113  
Choose your hard

Hi Ceejay - yes it is quiet. All over the site. Not sure why. I can only say for myself that I'm trying to cut back my computer time. And there is less to say if no one is here posting so I guess it turns into a circle, doesn't it?

Are you working today?
Old 01-28-2007, 05:03 PM   #114  

hello,is it safe to come back or isnt anyone talking too me ? i deserve not to be ill pop in tomorrow and if uve not renamed the thread "linus bugger off " ill stay for a while
kirsty
linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:35 PM   #115  

Linus - great to hear from you. No we won't name the thread that (what you said) and we have been missing you for ages - welcome home.

Happy - the BBC (British - in case you were thinking Botswana Broadcasting Corporation) put on a couple of shows called Grumpy Old Men and yep you guessed it - Grumpy old Women. They are a series of shows where these babyboomers talk about the world as it is now - rather they grump about it. Some of it is hilarious. One of the women said that she had to buy a new washing machine. What's with these things, 15 programs, 9 wash cycles, 12 rinse patterns, heaters, coolers, built in dryers, top loaders, front loaders, water and/ or energy friendly etc. I just want to buy one with an off/ on button which washes the clothes.
Then the tech comes to put it in, tramps all over the house, empties the old hose over the laundry floor, tramps mud up and down the place and out to the van to get some more bits, puts the new one in, and then says the trainer (?) will be out in two weeks to show her how to work it.

Mel tells me via email that she didn't get finished until 11.25pm last night and won't be on today, but that the vertigo seems to have gone - she reckons the blood pressure levels fixed it.

Okay, work calls. I've done the exercise for the day and now I can't stop sweating. It will be a sweaty keyboard by the time I have finished.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #116  

Hello all, just a quick visit so I don't get the prod again.

I'm very glad to hear Mel's okay, I was worried that we'd have to send her off to the glue factory. I take it she was working until late at night for the very people who are trying to take her pittance away from her? They have no idea what a gem she is.

Sweaty Shad? Good on ya' for all that exercise! I thought about exercising a lot... does that count? Odd that you still haven't accepted our offer to move into your little home away from home at Fawlty Towers for the month of February. I can't imagine why.

Happy, I know what you mean with the rants. I tend to rant rather a lot, it makes me very popular. If only everyone could be as perfect as you and me! Although I confess I'm having just a little trouble parking straight since I got the new car. I know, I know, a Corolla is hardly a big car, but compared to my little Accent it handles like a boat. Maybe I should go practice somewhere...

I've been spending a lot of time thinking some things through, and am not too pleased with the way I've let myself go. Three years ago I was fit enough to do a week's strenuous hiking in Spain's Sierra Nevada, and now I can't get up from a crouching position without holding onto something. Two years ago I used to go to two very demanding spinning classes a week, now I look for excuses to drive the six blocks to the grocery store. It seems every time I tried to get active, I'd hurt myself just enough to quit (xcountry-skiing, spinning: cracked tailbone; spinning and biking: bad tendinitis in my wrist; light running and hiking: flare-up of PF and instructed to stay off my feet.) And each time I've sunk into my comfy couch just a little more permanently. Of course I mustn't forget the cats - they need me to be home, how could I go off and leave them? So now I'm so creaky and fat and sugar-craving all the time I don't know what sports I could do, not that that's really an issue with my present level of inertia. Thus endeth Carla's sad tale of woe - the short version. But at least I'm trying to find my way back. Keep your fingers crossed that I'll find the trigger!
Hello to the other worldly chicks. Time to go contemplate some more. Maybe also time to readjust the ticker again - in the wrong direction.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #117  

Crikey and she didn't need the prod.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #118  

Harrumph!!!! Sarcasm is an unlovely weapon at times. (Says Carla feigning a huff.) You may not be able to see it, Shad, but I'm thumbing my nose at you, I bite my thumb at you, I'm giving you the Bronx cheer, blowing you a raspberry, and, in French, je te fais un pied de nez. So there, Roget's little retaliation.

Gross-out alert: Anyone have any ideas how to make this blankety-blank boil either come to a head or go away? It hurts, it's ITCHY, it's UGLY.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:57 PM   #119  

Does that mean you are about to put a foot in my nose???

Boils??? - well me old dad used to swear by these hot poultice things with a dreadfully smelly paste heated on a bandage and slapped onto the offended bit of skin amid much noise and tutai, tutai, tutai.

Personally I tend to take to them with a sharp knife or scalpel and get the bloody core out. All is fixed then. Not sure how I would operate on the back of the neck though.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:02 PM   #120  

Huh! I just went to Babels translation and put in Carla's little prose to see how close I got to the answer and guess what I got?

I make you a foot of nose!

I think I like my explanation better!!