Do Parents eat more than Childless Couples?

• I read this article and thought it might be a good discussion?

Do Parents eat more than Childless Couples?

I think that in this world of being more health conscious, that parents are being more proactive and wanting their children and themselves to be healthier.

What are your thoughts?
  • I would believe this. I'm single, but when I was a kid, there was always some bake sale or other event where we had to bring brownies or other goodies to. My parents have lost weight since all the kids moved out, and they were never what you would consider overweight. They have more time to exercise and no reason to be baking cakes and other sweets. I live on my own and pretty much never bake, but if I had kids, I probably would make cookies every once in a while!

Also, I think having kids makes it more likely that you would be providing a full dinner every day -- afterall, they're growing. You have to provide food even if you personally are not hungry, while if you live with another adult, they can easily fend for themselves! Then, you have that whole "family dinner is a good thing" philosophy, so you might sit down and eat with them even if you're not hungry. It will be interesting to see what other think.
  • The article theorizes that parents eat their kids' unhealthy leftovers and get tempted more because junk food purchased for the kids is in the house where they have access to it. It just goes to show that as a parent you need to make an effort to really limit the quantity of unhealthy foods in your child's diet. You should also to be sure to have healthy snack and dinner substitutes on hand for YOU when you allow your child a treat so you don't get tempted to eat their leftovers or the junk they have around (e.g. if you buy them ice cream, buy yourself weight watchers bars or something similar that has practically no calories but is "kinda" like ice cream..its cold, right? so you can pretend at least).
  • Hmmm...I agree and disagree.

I see a lot of parents now days that do feed their children junk...chips, candy, pizza, fast food, etc. and do think they too will eat it as well. But I can say...when mine were growing up they ate healty. My mother even brought them candy once and told them "Since your mom never buys you candy, I thought I would bring you some." Lol...made me feel like I was a bad mother for not giving them junk, lol. I think though some parents try to eat healthy and make their kids eat healthy but doesn't always happen. Take what kids are being served in the schools for example as well. A lot of schools have access to vending machines and they drink waaaay too many sodas.

My neighbors have young children and at a recent party were discussing how they potty train their kids...one said they give their's MM'S to make them go, another said cookies works for her and the other agreed with the mm's too. I told them I never bribed my kids to go potty or to do anything but this is how a lot of parents are today. They give their children what they want to shut them up or make them do something...or from what I've seen with my neighbors and some friends.

Think I got side tracked there...lol. But I do think people with kids eat more than childless couples. I wouldn't even cook (a full meal) half the time if I didn't have kids. I am good to go with having a bowl of cereal whenever, or just a sandwich or salad...something simple.
  • Quote:
    Take what kids are being served in the schools for example as well. A lot of schools have access to vending machines and they drink waaaay too many sodas.
    Fortunately a lot of schools are becoming more proactive and taking out soda machines and the junk food out and serving healthier alternatives. A lot of parents are trying to get schools to change and to also serve healthier lunches too.

But I remember going to school and having Pizza, Hamburgers, French Fries, Hot Dogs, etc for lunch. So I think its a good thing parents are stepping up and saying something.

Also I say, Good For you, Cristina for being proactive and making sure your kids ate healthy. I agree, a lot of parents do reward their kids with junk food, not all though, and more and more are becoming health concious. I am glad to see that our friends make an active effort to not do that and their kids actually LIKE fruits and veggies and prefer them over junk food!
  • In my experience having children has a tendency to increase the weight. Having kids in the house you tend to keep more food and more quick snack foods around, (way to tempting).