Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 07:02 AM   #16  
ugggg.....

Welcome Velveteen, IdahoSenior and Bluejay!!

Jane--I am going to go get my potatoes and I forgot cream of mushroom soup for the green bean caserole so I have to finish up today at the grocery store--there is no way I am going to go on Sunday!!! Thanks for the cute Teddy card!!

Mkat--good to see you post--dd and I both are at TOM--finishing shopping should be fun today--my pregnant friend might be coming too--watch out anyone who gets in the way of three hormonal women on a mission to finish their Christmas shopping. Thankfully I am almost finished!!

Velveteen--you will find a lot of support here on your road back to "normal" though I am not sure any of us are. It does help to have a place to put your thoughts and get feedback.

Sassy--with the luck I am having with packages hopefully I will get your card!! I have to go pick up my daughters shoes I ordered--there really cute, but a purse I ordered from Ebay is still not there and it should have been last Friday. The weird thing is, there was a slip telling me that I had a package but they looked twice and couldn't find anything--hopefully they didn't give it to someone else--first item ordered on Ebay and delivered to po box that I have ever had problem getting. I am also waiting for a package from Amazon with books for the kids for Christmas--I was tracking it and on Tuesday it had left the big distribution point in MD so I was happy, Wednesday I look and it says "sorry the package was misrouted" and the tracking was not available last night--I am panicing a little but I will just show the kids what they were suppossed to get online and give it to them when I finally get it.

Marti--with all the changes at work I am not going to be slowing down for awhile.....what is frustrating is my job title is supervisor, I received 90% of the directors job they moved almost 2 years ago with just a small pay raise and a change from hourly to salary so I actually lost money with losing the ability to work OT and now they are moving another director and there was a meeting with me and three other people and the boss--her time is split 50-50 between our department and another and she is moving to 100% the other department. I am getting about 25% to 40% of her job with our department with no talk of a pay increase, nothing being taken away from me and no extra help other than the staff I now have. I don't know how much more than think I can do since I am having trouble keeping up now and I refuse to go in every day off.

Tiffie--my husband was having some stomach problems and pain that the Dr thought might be a hernia. They started out having DH get a ultrasound and he joked that he was 100% positive the problem was not that he was pregnant. The sonogram which didn't really show anything so they sent him for a scan. We asked why bother with the sonogram and were told that sometimes the it will give them the answers they need and is cheaper than the scan so some insurance companies want it done first. We ended up with the bills for our portion of both and no answers--it's not a hernia and we found out he has no blockages, tumors or growths from his lungs to his upper thighs. He's not having the problem anymore so who knows.

BlueJay--my bday was Dec 16, my moms was yesterday (the 21st), my dad's is the 15th, my sister in laws is the 13th & her daughters is Christmas Eve (she hates it)

Idahosenior--how did your get together go last night?? Sounds fun. I do like you outside tree idea--I bet it's beautiful.

Well I gotta go get in the shower so I can join the throngs of last minute shoppers--hey....maybe I shouldn't shower...maybe it will give me some personal space!!
Old 12-22-2006, 11:22 AM   #17  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Hello Ladies and to all the newbies!

MARTI...thank you for the card.

You ladies and your last minute shopping. What I am talking about, I just finished yesterday, lol!

JULES...funny, I am waiting for a gift card from Amazon. DD wanted mostly books and instead of ordering the books she said just get her a gift card because she keeps changing her mind. It was supposed to be here by today. So if it's not in today's mail ugh! She'll have to go online and let them know so they can cancel that one and send another. Glad I got her other stuff!

SASSY...hope your shopping spree wasn't too bad. I noticed yesterday a lot more traffic and I was out early to beat the crowds.

JANE...that is sweet that the girls actually know the true meaning of Christmas...I think most people have forgotten, which is sad.

HI to everyone else!

Nothing much going on here. Finally finished my shopping, yesterday, lol! We aren't having a big Christmas dinner...just a small ham dinner. We had our big dinner a couple of weeks ago. I've not decided whether I am going to cook on Christmas Eve like I have done the past 20 years or so, or do it on Christmas day. It will be weird with one of us missing But we will take in a movie on Christmas day for sure...our new tradition. Not really sure what I am doing today...first day in a while that I have nothing planned. Anyway...V gets off from work starting tomorrow until after the New Year and we will be busy. They sold the company (3.3 billion I think) he works (Raytheon) for but they are saying they are keeping all the workers so...hopefully they are not full of it. I say this because there are 2 buyers and one of them bought out Boeing last year and did away with a lot of the employees, mostly the older ones. And there are some who filed a lawsuit against them for age discrimination.

Not sure if I mentioned that we decided to put the house on the market, again. So we are readying it for that. We found a GREAT realtor this time and we already found a house as well so. We've got some painting to do and closets to clean/empty and who knows what else. Not looking forward to this again but going to stick with it and get moved this time! Not sure that I will make back until after Christmas...I may but I want to wish you all a very Happy Holiday!

A very MERRY CHRISTMAS to YOU and YOURS!

Old 12-22-2006, 12:04 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 238/216/148

Height: 5'7"

Hi all! Thank you for the warm welcome!

This year, for the first time in a long time, I'm not out doing last minute shopping .... but I still haven't gotten everything wrapped. And I'm not sure when I'm going to fit it in, either, LOL! Between homeschooling and all the usual housework I'm much busier than in my working days. It's crazy! It's not the kids, though, it's the hubby.

Both my sister and my SIL are nurses, so because of working weekends/holiday rotations, we had our extended-family Christmas earlier this month. So it's just "us" and my ds and his wife..... and I have the gifts for ds/wife wrapped already. And all of this is a good thing, because we're starting with an ice storm in our area. No driving today! School closings today, too. (I know the students in the area are just sad, sad, sad about starting their vacations early, LOL!! ) The girls and I are baking gingerbread and reading books today........ with Mom sneaking in some time here on the board, of course!

Yesterday I made a large beef roast in the crockpot, made hot beef sandwiches for supper, then turned the rest into stew and and Italian ragout to serve over pasta, so we're set -- and I'll have time to wrap those presents. And the house smells good! I just have to bake my own birthday cake yet. (Yes, I'm being naughty -- but dh and ds will eat most of it.)

And speaking of birthdays, having it Christmas Eve was kind of a love/hate thing when I was a kid. I loved the fact that I usually got to see my relatives around my birthday. But ...... since it was the holidays, birthday parties/sleepovers/etc just never really happened. My family was pretty good about the present thing, so I never felt shorted. (You'd be amazed how many checkout clerks ask you that very question after seeing your driver's license.)

Well, enough rambling. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you. Merry Christmas, ladies!
Old 12-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #19  
One day at a time

Hiya Bluejay!

Kuddos to you for homeschooling! That is a tough job for sure, but fun to I imagine. Your beef sounds sooooo good. Getting close to lunch time for me and I am getting hungry.

My niece's BD is on Christmas Eve...I don't think she ever minded but I bet she would have loved a different day. I always send her seperate cards. Kinda like me and my anniversary. We married on my BD which also falls on Mother's Day every few years so they are always combined. I just didn't want to take away from someone else's special month or other special months/dates and it didn't leave much. Couldn't think of a "good" day to get married so went with my BD, lol.

Be careful if you get out in that messy weather. I know here a lot of people are stranded trying to get to Denver and surrounding areas because I-70 is shut down from north of us to Denver. That would suck being stuck in some town you don't know or at the airport for Christmas.

Well, I was still on and thought I would check to see if anyone had posted before I log off. Need to get started doing something, what? I don't know...maybe putting some clothes on and getting out of my jammies for starters, lol.

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS ladies!
Old 12-22-2006, 03:37 PM   #20  
One day at a time

Back again for a few minutes...

...just wanted to thank MS SASSY for the card and note pad. That was very sweet of you, THANK YOU!
Old 12-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #21  
ugggg.....

Sassy & Marti--got your cards today..Thanks!!

Cristina--no box from Amazon today--I am still hoping it will come in the morning though I fear it is lost somewhere in the dead letter office!! Finished up shopping with DD--we had fun, but then we always do. Oh and by the way, the first Nick is gone turned out to be very jealous and controlling--she had to actually change her number to get him to stop calling and texting her (creepy thing was he even had his Mom and ex-wife calling her) she saw Jason but they decided to stay just friends. There is a new Nick who just got out of the military--he was special ops, did a tour in Iraq and is getting ready to go to the police academy at the beginning of the year. He looks like a younger & thinner Jesses James (Mr Sandra Bullock, star of Monster Garage and bike builder) The girl makes my head spin, but as long as she is happy that's all I want.

bluejay--I thought I was one of the only ones that has to bake her own cake!! I have my wrapping to do..luckily I already started.

Hope everyone keeps safe--there are some crazy drivers & nasty shoppers so be careful if you have to be out!! I am done everything so I am in for the weekend!! I am going to bake some more cookies!!

Last edited by jules1216; 12-22-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:39 PM   #22  
ugggg.....

Hey Cristina!!! Are you dressed yet--I just changed into some shorts myself--DH is trying to raost me out with the woodstove--it's damp and rainy out so I really don't mind!!
Old 12-22-2006, 06:21 PM   #23  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

This is just a very quick note, because we're getting ready to leave. Hope to be back on later!

MARTI...Thanks so much for the card, you're a sweetie!

SASSY...Thank you for the cute card and the little post it notes, so cute!
Old 12-22-2006, 09:27 PM   #24  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Hey Everybody.

YVW for the cards/note pads.

Shopping wasn't bad at all! Amazingly enough. I did see A LOT of guys wandering around by themselves doing last minute shopping! LOL!

I haven't even started baking! I figure if I don't get them done in time for Xmas, I will just bring them into work for New Years, the people here won't care as long as its FREE FOOD! lol.

I hope you all have a Happy Holiday!

Old 12-22-2006, 10:41 PM   #25  
GmaTo8

Hi ladies,

Jules - hahaha, I'll have to remember your solution for personal space while shopping. Added to the No Shower, I think I'll throw in no toothpaste and antiperspirant, too. Actually, the truth is, I don't mind crowds at all, but I do mind rude people. So far this holiday season, I've been lucky with that.

Cristi - no, you didn't mention that you're thinking of selling the house again. I know you tried to a little while back, but can't remember why you wanted to. Can you tell us about the house you found, or would you rather wait and see how it goes? Either way, good luck!

BlueJay - store clerks comment about my birthday, too, when they see it on my driver's license. Usually with sympathy in their voice, since it's 9/11. The first couple of years after the bombings, I felt guilty to have a good time on my birthday, and even now it's always on my mind that so many died needlessly on that day. On a happier note - mmmmmmm, you're crock pot beef sounds so good. So does the cake, of course.

Sassy - yep, people at work always appreciate free food, imo. And homebaked goodies are welcome until everyone's on a diet again, lol.

Hi to the others.

Well, believe it or not, I took down our big tree and put up the little one. It came with a pot to hold it, and I set it on a table. The branches are not real close together, and I like the way the ornaments hang down in-between and are very visible. I asked Neal if he could find a real (deserted) bird's nest for me, and of course he did, so I put it right in front, with a bird ornament close by. I like it.

Everything has been done that can be done early for Christmas. I've got some cleaning to do tomorrow, and Katie will be here, doing her laundry and making a relish tray for Sunday.

Gotta go surf..... toodles for now.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:00 PM   #26  
~Believe~

Hey Jane.

Yes people @ work ALWAYS appreciate Free Food, esp. when its home made. That is why I figured it doesn't really matter when I bring them in! lol.

Enjoy!
Old 12-22-2006, 11:12 PM   #27  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

Jane- dad is going to be alright if I can convince him that just because he's at home on minor restrictions doesn't mean he can return to normal life. if he keeps arguing with me.... *this is the guy who keeps asking me why I'm so bull-headed, mind you*

merry christmas all Going to be a rough few days, to say the least. anyone who remembers my thanksgiving saga.. it's going to be better for us family wise, but rougher dealing with the *family* members who don't like our plans or approve of our desire to have holidays at home with just us and the girls... perish forbid..!
Old 12-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #28  

Height: 5'1"

Good Afternoon Ladies!!

Hubby just took DD out to do some shopping. So I thought I would take some time and say hello while I had the chance.

I'm totally going off any "dieting" the next few days. DH & DD are doing some sweets shopping and buying ingrediants for our homemade cocoa, marshmallows and truffles. Talk about indulging ourselves in sweets! We wanted to start a new tradition of some kind and making real hot cocoa w/homemade marshmallows sounded so much fun and tastey! (Truffles are just an added treat)
Don't worry though....I'm still walking my 30min walks. I may indulge but I don't cut out the exercise.

Now for individuals:

Sassy--I got your card the other day too! Thank you so much for the little note pad! You're a sweetheart you know that right! Don't you worry about me giving lectures about cheesecake...you seen what my days will be consisting of!! Enjoy everything.....Starting the New Year, we will be cracking down!

Renee--Awww....we're here for ya! You have been through a lot. We'll help you w/the support you need. These girls are wonderful!! As for a program that I'm on....well I have started to just watch portions and count calories. I read all my labels (again) and I walk 30mins everyday. Of coarse there are days that I just need a break and I give myself that break. My weight is slow w/coming off though w/the holidays, but it'll get better once I stop my indulging!

Mkat--I hope your dad listens and takes it easy while he's home. My grandpa was recently hospitalized from a fall...once he got home it was all we could do to convince him that rest is what will heal him. He up and about like he used to before his fall. Glad to see you popping in.

Jules--My goodness!! What a hectic work schedule you have. And I don't blame you for not wanting to come on your days off either. Are you getting some holiday time off?? I sure hope so. Sounds like you really need to have some quality family time to rest , relax and enjoy!

Jane--James took the same time off plus a day. But is ending up w/a whole 10 days off. He took extra because if he would have went to work another day...it would have went into his vacation time. It's all so complicated to explain but the point is, he's getting some much needed time off!! Do you do a big dinner Christmas Eve rather than Christmas day?

Cristi--My DD dad is taking her to the movies Christmas day too. I think that is something they started doing last year. She's with me up until Christmas, then Christmas afternoon or evening she goes w/her dad. I feel bad at times and ask if he wants her home earlier or she can have Christmas w/me afterwards....but it's the same each year. I'm going to see if he wants to spend the New Year w/her. (She's w/me that weekend too!) As for having someone missing this Christmas...I'm sorry. I know how hard it must be. I didn't have a child but my brother was gone a couple Christmas's due to military. Just know that there are many people who thank him and love him for what he is doing!!

BlueJay--You sound like a wonderful cook!! I believe I was drooling reading what you had for dinner!! I love roast beef sandwhiches. Been so long since I've had one. You also sound like you have a busy schedule between being a nurse and homeschooling! Where do you fit in the time?? Happy to have you part of our group. Looking forward to learning more about you.

Michelle--Have a Merry Christmas!! Your Welcome for the card!

And a Hello and Merry Christmas to all the others out there!!

W/Christmas Eve being here tomorrow (can you believe it?) and then Christmas, I won't have much time on the computer. So You all have a very:

Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #29  
~Believe~

Cool

Hi Marti!

YVW for the Card and note pad and thanks for the compliment....

Yeah starting the New Year, we all will be "Cracking the Whips!" lolllllll

Hmmmmm Almost Christmas and no snow? There is a chance of snow on Monday though, so who knows...........

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2006, 11:31 PM   #30  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Our Christmas Eve celebration is the most important. We get together in the living room, turn all the phones off, and pass around the bible reading St. Luke 2:1-20, everyone reading a verse or 2. (Katie's bf Clint is nervous about tomorrow, lol. This will be his 1st time doing this) Then Neal dons the Santa hat and all the grandkids gather around him while he reads T'was the Night Before Christmas. Most of the presents are opened then, one at a time, but some are saved for Christmas morning. The food we have on Christmas Eve is most party-type foods. It's all laid-back and fun. Christmas Day is more formal and that's when we have the big dinner, using the good dishes and linens. Neal's brother Paul will be here, and Mary is bringing one of the kids from the group home where she works. The boy has no where else to go, so we'll make him feel at home here.

Anyway, I just wanted to say Merry Christmas to all of you, and to take this time to tell you all how much you mean to me. You Jaded Ones are like sisters (or daughters) to me, and I wish you happiness and love this Christmas Day. I won't be able to be back now until Monday night or Tuesday, so take care.
Closed Thread