Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 07:30 AM   #16  

Good morning. It looks lovely out this morning. I am going to try and get a good walk in this morning, then run a few errands. Or I may do the errands, then walk. I never got my walk in yesterday...and it was my own fault. Last night we had about seven kids come by, so we have a lot of bags of chips left. No problem! The 'kids' will use them for lunches. I tried to deal with a crabby husband all night. I hope he has a better day today!

KENG: How horrible for you! I am so sorry you had this shock. Is this the 'friend' you mentioned before that you had felt some frustration with? I rarely listen to the news, so I had not heard about it. That poor little girl! I hope and pray she was placed in a good foster home.

I am going to go rustle up some breakfast...be back later.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:08 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Hi Ladies,

Sorry I have been MIA for the last couple days. It has been crazy here at work, no time to even get on the computer. We have some new jobs starting and we are biddng on some, so it get hectic.

We have a few munchins last night. I went through about 5 bags of candy. Have some left, Smarties and raisens. Don't think that will be a temptation.

Sorry, no time for replies, just wanted to let you know what happened to me.

Hope to check back tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:46 AM   #18  

I just cut up one of the pumpkins I got and cooked it in the pressure cooker. It worked pretty well, and now I have about 15 cups of pumpkin puree to use for pies.

SOLLY: Thanks for checking in! I was beginning to worry about you!
Old 11-01-2006, 01:05 PM   #19  

Has everyone recovered yet!!! Yesterday was just way to crazy and overscheduled for my taste. However, Rachel got her braces off and has BEAUTIFUL teeth! She said the scraping off the cement hurt. Once they realized that it was hurting her, the orth used what looked like a dremel tool to take off the rest and she said that was much better. We go back today for the retainer.

The kids trick or treated and then we went to grandmas. Somehow in the middle of this, Rachel also had a one hour dance class. Then home and homework at 10pm!! Needless to say we were exhausted this morning.

I am helping out with two of our Nutcracker performance. I will be "grandma" and "read" a book to the party kids while the parents are dancing. (It helps if I can "SSHHH!" the kids for real if needed.) I picked up some granny glasses and a purple velvet skirt at the goodwill yesterday. I asked the director how "forward thinking" she thought grandma was and she says if this family has enough money to party like this, she is pretty opulent and would wear purple! I'm now looking for a ruffly blouse and I have a couple of shawls to choose from. I think I will go by Claires at some point and look for some "vintage" jewelry. Do I just pull up my brunette hair into a bun, or is there something I can put in that would make me look a little gray? Something that washes out!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 01:23 PM   #20  

THIN: Powder, or flour should gray up your hair! You could use tempra paint too, but I can't be sure it would wash out easily! Sounds like fun! Could you wear a gray wig? Check and see if there is any hair spray stuff at costume shops to make it gray. I have no problem with that...my hair is totally silver!
Old 11-02-2006, 07:50 AM   #21  

Ok, kids. I am off to North Georgia to play in clay. Talk amongst yourselves while I am gone. OK?

(sheesh...its Thursday for crying out loud! And it is only the second page?)
Old 11-02-2006, 09:03 AM   #22  

Just a quick post...I found this recipe in our local paper today and thought it sounded good.

When you're watching what you eat, even most lean beefs can seem a little heart-stopping.

But if you're hankering for a burger, there's no need to blow the diet. This recipe (from the folks behind Prevention magazine) for fresh tuna burgers spiked with jalapeno mayonnaise is juicy, tender and comes in at under 10 grams of fat per burger.

In addition to cutting fat, this recipe also ups the fiber and healthy whole grains by using whole wheat hamburger buns.

To give this burger an even healthier profile, consider piling on the vegetables, which add few calories. Try slices of roasted red pepper, sprouts, additional leafy greens, sliced red onion and mushrooms.

Texas Tuna Burger with Jalapeno Mayonnaise

(Start to finish 20 minutes)

1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded

2 tbsp. reduced-fat mayonnaise

6 oz. fresh tuna, coarsely chopped

2 scallions, sliced (about ¾ cup)

¼ c. chopped onion

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Olive oil cooking spray

2 whole wheat hamburger rolls

1 small tomato, sliced

2 romaine lettuce leaves

In a food processor, chop the jalapeno pepper. Transfer the pepper to a small bowl and mix with the mayonnaise. Set aside.

Without washing the processor bowl, add the tuna, scallions and onion and pulse several times to finely chop the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Using your hands, form the tuna mixture into two patties about 4 inches around and ½ inch thick.

Coat a medium nonstick skillet with olive oil cooking spray. Heat the skillet over a medium-high heat. Cook the tuna burgers 2 minutes per side, then set each on the bottom half of a hamburger roll.

Top each burger with slices of tomato and one lettuce leaf. Spread the mayonnaise on the top half of the burger bun, then set over the burger. Yield: Two servings.

Nutrition information per serving: 298 cal., 26 g pro., 9 g total fat, 29 g carbo., 44 mg chol., 384 mg sodium, 6 g fiber.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #23  
Addicted to potato salad!

Okay...so, I spent the whole day yesterday with Shelley, pulling her out of school so she could have a check up so she can play on the Volleyball team. Then we went to the mall to buy some 'sport shorts' to practice in. She goes to VB practice and they worked her so hard she doesnt' want to go back again. Her shorts and T-shirt were soaked with sweat, as was her hair. I thought, "Great! What a workout...this is just what she needs to stave off the winter blues she fall prey to every single winter! Good exercise, team spirit, new friends..." Then she says, "I'm never going back...I hurt in every square inch of my body and it's SIX O'CLOCK and I still have HOMEWORK to do!" So, I gave her a couple Advil, some supper and helped her with her homework, then had her soak in a hot tub. This morning she was very mad at me when she woke up, still sore, more Advil, a banana, NSA juice and some WW italian toast and handed her her gym bag with fresh shorts and Tshirt for Volleyball practice after school. Am I bad for making her go for a few days? I mean, don't you think that yesterday is going to be the most painful and every day will get less painful and she'll start to feel the endorphines kick in and she'll feel like a new, undepressed kid? Or am I wrong in making her go...at least for a few days to give it a real shot before throwing the towel in?

What do you guys think?
Old 11-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #24  

I would say she needs to give it a few days/weeks to see. Rachel does not like one of the dance classes she signed up for this year, because she can't do some of the moves that they are doing. However, costumes have already been ordered, so she will stay in till the recital in May. Next year she will have to make some choices as she dances 6-7 hours each week, is in chorus and next year wants to do drill team for the high school. She will be an eighth grader, but it is a new school that only has two grades this year, so until they have the full four years, they will invite eighth graders into the band. SO, she will have to sit down and figure out what schedule we can live with.
I say let her give it a good honest try before she gives up.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:02 AM   #25  

Good morning ladies,

My back has been hurting, more so, my leg. With all my ailments I never know what it is or which doctor to see. So I am starting with my pain doc and got an epidural. I can hardly sit or sleep at night, my one leg just aches. Hopefully this will help or I will have to go to the oncologist :sad:

Thin, I bet Rachel looks fabulous w/o her braces. Make sure she wears that retainer. I paid all that money for braces and my DD quit wearing the retainer so they are not as beautiful as they were.

Tech, make her stick it out. She has used muscles she hasn't used in a while. Of course she will be sore, but she will work it out. You can't make a decision after 1 day. I bet it is better for her today.

Monet, have fun playing in the clay. Wish you were closer. I have been looking all over for a jar to keep my big utensils in so they can sit out. Haven't found anything yet. I could have you make me one if you were closer.

It was so cold this morning. My car sat out last night and I had to scrape. Momma doesn't like scraping. That goodness for heated seats, they felt wonderful.

Got to run, have a great day.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:49 PM   #26  

Just talking to myself...Rachel has dance this evening for Nutcracker, then we may go to the fooltball game. It is away, so we'll see.

I am working on her snow queen outfit and also one for her friend. I said I would help with these two, but please not 10! I don't care if I ever see another sequin again!! The costume is a pretty silvery blue color and just needs some embellishing. I have done some beading to the front and sewing on tiny snowflake ornaments to the tutu. It will be pretty, but I'll be glad to be finished!
Old 11-03-2006, 04:43 PM   #27  

Oh my, where is everyone?????

Thin, the costume sounds very pretty. Lucky, you can do things like that. I sure can't.

Nothing much going on with me. Still crazy at work. Tomorrow we are going out to the track for the Breeders Cup. It will be chilly. That's about it for my weekend. Gee, I need to find some things to do. Oh, I do have to get my hair cut and colored first thing in the morning. It needs it.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 11-03-2006, 05:32 PM   #28  

Home again, home again...jiggety jog!

I made mugs, sugar bowls and creamers yesterday and got handles done. Today, I made two large pitchers and a big casserole dish. My partner is going to do some decorating on the large casserole, so I am all anticipation to see how it turns out. We had a blast. I am pretty tired though.

I got about 15 minutes into my 1.5 hour trip home and realized I had forgotten my Byetta, so I had to go back.

It has been rather quiet while I was gone. Seems we are missing a good number of folks....

TECH: I think you are right...make her give it a few days before she quits. If after a week or two, she still hates it, then let her drop off the team, but there is something to be learned by sticking
things out beyond the difficult parts. Giving up shows a lack of perseverance. You want her to learn to stick stuff out or she will miss a lot of great stuff.

SOLLY: I sent you a PM. I hope you are feeling better...

THIN: Tne costume sounds awfully pretty! I hate that kind of detail work, so I admire your doing TWO of them! haha! I would stop at one half if it were up to me! My sisters all embroidered, but not me! I am a potter cause it was fast, and no little details to work with unless you wanted to.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #29  
Bustin' Buddy

Hey everyone!

Sorry I'm MIA again - this week was crazy! I'm so tired in the evenings I don't even want to play on the computer. Do you think it's cause I'm fat that I'm so darn tired? Or could it be something else! I'm really ready for Thanksgiving break - I need to regroup!!!

I'll check back later!
Missy
Old 11-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #30  

I went out to Greek town in chicago last night...I was legal....but oh wow
everything had salt......so salty...
the flaming cheese
all the fish
i'm up 2 pounds.......help
Closed Thread