Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 05:44 PM   #31  

Tech- That's a really hard question. On the one hand, it is hard to see oneof your own be treated so badly. On the other hand, there may be some of this type that he will have to work with and get along with as an adult some day. In general I try to teach my kids that you do not have to like everyone, but you do have to be nice to them.

Yea! My final package has arrived from Amazon! and Sean's visit went well with the endocrinologist. They want him to come only once a year now, since the cardiologist is basically treating the same things and they are actually the ones who have him on medication. We just have to have copies of any bloodwork sent to them and return if his insulin rises again. That's one less doctor to see and reason to miss school!

Well,I am going to give our dog Buddy a bath! Hopefully this will be his last before the holidays, his Christmas bath! Why is it if there is something dead smelling in the yard, that's where they choose to roll around and cover themselves in the stench!?!

Have a great (and warm) evening!
Old 12-21-2005, 05:49 PM   #32  

TECH: Spitting, pushing, bullying are all behaviors that are NOT acceptable, no matter WHO your daddy is. Have you talked to the teacher about this? If she doesn't do anything, I would go to the preschool director. This child is only going to get worse if it is not addressed. The mother should be informed of her child's bullying, and there should be a system of discipline in place to deal with it, or the child should be sent home for the parent to deal with. As for leaving Kyle there, or pulling him, I could not give you a fair opinion. I am not in favor of preschool, and homeschooled my children for seven or eight years, so as you can see, I am going to say pull him either way! The fact that the marina boy and the real estate boy got each other sounds rigged, and to then spend four times the limit is obscene. What are they trying to say to the other kids? Is the teacher in on this? Or a wuss who is run over by wealth and influence? Do you REALLY want your sweet little boy to experience the back biting, nasty scrambling of the world already? Take him home, spend time with him, teach him yourself, and give him another year of knowing he is ok, is loved and very special. If you THINK kids need socialization, just remind yourself that the greatest children's writer of all times was homeschooled, and lived in total isolation from everyone but her siblings- Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Ok, off the soapbox!

I got some stuff done. I went to the credit union, Costco and Publix. Now I have LOTS of groceries, and not much money!

Old 12-21-2005, 08:03 PM   #33  

Tech- I agree with Monet that you should talk to the teacher and see if she can possibly talk to the parent of this kid. But I also agree with Thin that he will have to learn how to deal with people like this. I remember my son in kindergarten was getting bullied by a couple kids. One day when I went to pick him up he was sitting outside the class crying and the teacher said these two kids ganged up on him and took his Pogs ( remember those lol) anyway he ended up hitting one. Now of course at the time Id of liked to wrap my hands around the other two kids necks. us moms do have this strong instinct of protection, but I did tell him when someones being mean in a physical way you need to go to a adult and let them know if that person is pushing , shoving or touching you. If it is just words my motto was always to my kids "wwjd" . That always got them to think before reacting. As my kids got older ( I had a stepson also with my two) and you know boys can be rough. I remember my stepson ( he was picked on constinitly by bullies) some would shove his head into the door..etc..one day one cornored him and punched him in the stomach and he let loose and punched the kid right smack in the nose. Of course he got suspened. And the vice principle and me got into it over " I have told my kids they are never to let anyone hit/touch them and if there is not a adult around they are to defend themselves" she said.. " oh no we dont allow any violence for any reason and you need to explain that to your child " I said "well I wont allow my children to be beat up and not defend themselves" so to say the least we butted heads.
Well I rambled here and dont know if it helped. But I know its a tough play.
I do believe kids need to be around other kids some to learn to handle situations, but I also had pulled my dd out of school for a whole year and homeschooled her when I saw her heading down the wrong path with the wrong friends. So sometimes something like that has to be done.
But definitly talk to the teacher that spitting thing should be nipped in the butt.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:21 AM   #34  
Goddess

Default Good Thursday Morning!

I'm headed to NC in a little while, so I wanted to take this opportunity to wish everyone that celebrates it a Merry Christmas!

Belle and I will be gone until after the first of the year. I may be able to get on a few times during the holidays but probably not very often.

If you are traveling, please be safe and know that I'm wishing all my SB Sisters and their families a

VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Susan
Old 12-22-2005, 09:00 AM   #35  

Good Morning!! I read a couple times yesterday, but never got around to posting. With Jake walking now, I have to keep an eye on him. He's everywhere!!
I actually made it to the Y yesterday and did 45 minutes of Cardio. Jacob has continued to speel through the night. 4 nights in a row now!!! HE is waking up at 5:30, but will take a 1/2 aq bottle and go back to sleep. THAT I can handle.
Selah and I went shopping to prepare for their birthday party. I decided to do an Open House kind of thing on the first. I think that's the only way to really fit one in for people. It'll be good. We went shopping for deco and she HAD to have Dora. We got a few little things, but it's Daddy and Jake's birthday, too. Can't have it totally girly!!!

Well, Selah's little friend is coming ove rin an hour to make cookies, soI'd better get going. I'm going to try to make spelt cut out cookies. We'll see how it goes...
Old 12-22-2005, 01:25 PM   #36  

Right now, I am so mad I could spit nails. I got an email from Amazon, basically telling me that their free shipping offer can take 4 to 6 business days to ship and so they are sorry I did not understand that! Grr! The problem is that they CHANGED the expected ship date five days after I ordered it. Up until then, they were listing it as arriving BEFORE the 24th, then, they said it was being processed to ship and could not be changed, but would not ship until the 26th. What irritated me even more was that the email I received in answer to my inquiry was not a repliable email address! I have to get back on the web site, and go through pages and pages until I can get to the place to email them AGAIN. I can't even cancel the order and get it from someplace else...the my account page won't let me. All my presents for my son were in that shipment! I will have NOTHING for him under the tree now, unless I go out and buy him yet ANOTHER present.

Monet is not in the best of moods, so off I go!

Old 12-22-2005, 01:31 PM   #37  
Little Engine That Could

Monet, the afghan is beautiful and I am so impressed. You should be very proud of yourself. And doing it so quickly is also to be admired.

Tech, I'm with Monet and Cindy--pull him out. He's only 5 and kids have such a short childhood these days. I would also definitely speak to the teacher and to the director. You are paying good money to have some little bully pick on your son??? I think not!!! Homeschooling is very big here in Florida, so I know tons of people who do that. They are members of homeschooling organizations where parents who are very qualified teach particular subjects to a few kids. The children also participate in public school athletics, since their tax dollars go to support public education. The top HS quarterback in the state, if not the country is home schooled, and plays on a public school team.

I still have the bad cold. I started a z-pack yesterday. I don't know if it will do any good. I've also been taking some cough syrup tht knocks me out, so I have been feeling rather weird, with no energy. We have people coming for Christmas, so am starting to panic re. the meals.

I wish everyone here a wonderful and blessed Christmas.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:25 PM   #38  

Monet- I forgot to tell you yesterday that the afghan is truly beautiful. You do lovely work.
Im sorry about your Amazon order. I would be "hot" too over that!

Gator- Sending you wellness wishes !!

Well not much to say today. Just one more day of work... Yippee!!
Heading to bed here shortly and will read for a bit then its dreamland !
Merry PreChristmas!
Old 12-22-2005, 10:09 PM   #39  

Laura and I went shopping and I *THINK* I am finished now.

Did I mention that I composed another email to Amazon, telling them I wanted my package by Saturday or I would take my business elsewhere? Well, I got shipping notification today that they are sending out the package today...via UPS Next Day air! Yeah! I was excited that they were willing to DO something to rectify their errors in estimation.

I have a Friday funny to share. I know it is technically Thursday, but oh well!

As a young minister, I was asked by a funeral director to hold a grave-side
service for a homeless man, with no family or friends, who had died while
traveling through the area. The funeral was to be held at a cemetery way
back in the country, and this man would be the first to be laid to rest there.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods area, I became lost; and being a
typical man I did not stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late. I
saw the crew, eating lunch, but the hearse was nowhere in sight. I
apologized to the workers for my tardiness, and stepped to the side of the
open grave, where I saw the vault lid already in place. I assured the
workers I would not hold them long but this was the proper thing to do.

The workers gathered around, still eating their lunch. I poured out my
heart and soul. As I preached, the workers began to say "Amen," "Praise the
Lord," and "Glory," I preached, and I preached, like I'd never preached
before:from Genesis all the way to Revelations.

I closed the lengthy service with a prayer and walked to my car. I felt I
had done my duty for the homeless man and that the crew would leave with a renewed sense of purpose and dedication, in spite of my tardiness.

As I was opening the door and taking off my coat, I overheard one of the
workers saying to another, "I ain't never seen anything like this before

.... and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."
Old 12-23-2005, 08:59 AM   #40  
Addicted to potato salad!

MOnet: That was a great story!! And I just got an e-mail ad from Amazon saying, "Its not too late to buy for Christmas delivery!!" They were talking about e-mail gift cards, but sheesh!...I almost didn't get my things in time from Amazon that I bought on Dec 4!! I'd e-mail them again...I hate that they don't have an 800 # to call a live person. And I can't believe your afghan. I'm crocheting one for my niece that looks exactly like it. I'll take a picture of it soon and you can see it. I'm sure yours is more intricate as knitting usually is more intricate, but mine is the same wavy ripple pattern in the same off-white color. I used two strands to make it puffy and cushy. And they work up faster that way.

Cindy: I have a book I bought for Shelley for Christmas I'm reading called Ghosts I Have Been by Richard Peck. I love the young adult stories...I find them to be much more fun reads than grown up books. The funny thing is that I've been reading it for a week and right in front of Shelley with a book cover on it and finally last night she said, 'what are you reading' and I said, 'one of your Christmas presents....and it's really good, too!' So, now she's been trying to get the cover off to see what it is. She's off to the mall today with Derek to Christmas shop for ME today, so I'll finish the book and wrap it before she gets home.

Talitha: I'm in birthday party planning mode, too. I've invited five of Kyle's friends from preschool and Kyle's having a Spongebob theme. Well, I got him a Spongebob candle for his cake, anyway, and matching plates, etc from the $1 store. We got about 15 prizes from the $1 store so we can play games, games, games with prizes. It'll be fun! Kind of like a really hectic girl scout meeting is all, with much littler kids... I hope you party planning turns out well!!

Fillise: Have fun in North Carolina!! Merry Christmas to you!!

Thin: My dog stinks, too. Bleh! He needs a bath something fierce, but he's getting a bit too big for the bath tub. I'm thinking of taking him to the groomers for a professional job!

Okay...I think that's it for now. Regarding my preschool issue.... I went to the preschool room yesterday to donate some old puzzles of ours that Kyle has outgrown and when I was there, I asked the teacher when a good time would be to call her regarding Kyle and Wyatt's issues and told her that I've been noticing an escalation in Wyatt's meanness for some time now. I also said that I was hesitant to invite his friend McCade (real estate boy) to Kyle's birthday party because when ever Kyle tries to play with McCade is when Wyatt starts his atrocities and when I gave McCade's mom is birthday invitation is when Wyatt started spitting on Kyle. I also told her that my husband wants to pull Kyle out of preschool, but since Kyle loves preschool so much (he really does...every single day, no matter how tired or involved he is in something, I tell him its time to get ready for school and he gets right to it so he's not late!), I really don't want to pull him from something he loves and almost punish him for the other boy being mean. So, she said she is going to call Wyatt's mom and I'm hoping for an apology from Wyatt's mom. One other mom told me in the parking lot that she heard Wyatt's mom complaining that Wyatt hadn't been invited to Kyle's party (we only invited 5 out of 11 kids in the class...it's not like he's the only one not coming...and like I'd invite a boy that doesn't like my son to my son's birthday party!!) and I'd love the opportunity to tell her that maybe she should be more interested in the way her son behaves in class to the kids that dare to play with HIS friend, McCade and less concerned with his social standing. Now, on the surface, it may seem like I invited McCade to start trouble and this is the exact reason that I almost didn't invite McCade, because I didn't want to start trouble. Truth is, if I ask Kyle who his friends are, he always adds McCade and then says, "but Wyatt gets mad at me when I play with McCade." So, I said, what the heck...McCade really is a nice little soul and so I decided to invite him and throw caution to the wind...and now I'm sort of regretting that decision. I should have stuck to the four he plays leggos with and always builds Titanics out of blocks with. McCade is his friend he likes to hand out with at the playdough table.

So, I've dedided to put it all behind me and hope the new year brings better things for Kyle in preschool. If not, he's outta there. The only problem is that he'll end up with Wyatt in his class in kindergarden, but the good news is that the kindergarden teacher is really great and doesn't put up with any kids' crap and Wyatt will be hauled off to the principal's office so fast his head will spin. Preschool isn't part of the school system here and the teacher does a pretty good job, but she's the first to tell you that she's not a certified teacher and does the best she can. So, any more issues with Wyatt and I'll pull him out and reconveine in the fall with Mr. Pettit. Since my main goal with preschool is to have Kyle have a chance to learn how to behave in a classroom setting, if Wyatt keeps acting up, I'll wait till he's being taught by a certified teacher. He'll be fine. And I'll get more days alone with him. If he was traumatized, I'd not think twice of taking him out, but he loves it and loves playing with his friends and doing the crafts and having his own cubby with his backpack and getting his snack and cutting and pasting, etc. Its just a nice little expansion of his little life...I really hope we can get the Wyatt situation worked out.

Regarding homeschooling....I'd love to consider it and my husband would be 110% in favor of it, for sure! It's just, its foriegn to me. I've never known anyone in my own life that's been homeschooled. I've always been told it's for people that have religious reasons, like the Amish. It's really pretty rare around here. It's not that I would never consider it, it's just that I wouldn't even know where to start!

Anyhow...Derek has left with Shelley to the mall for a little father/daughter shopping thing to buy my Christmas presents. Shelley has been practically desperate for some one-on-one with Dad. Derek used to watch Shelley for me on Saturdays when I'd be doing hair in Rochester and they loved their time...at least I know Shelley did. Shelley's been looking forward to this time ever since Derek announced that he needed her help in picking things out for me at the mall and that he might even take her to Syracuse to the 'big city' I couldn't care less what they get me...them spending time together is present enough for me!!

Okay...I have to try and get some of Shelley's presents wrapped before they get back!!

Talk to you guys later on!! If I don't get back on here before Christmas, have a happy one, you guys!!

Love yas...Kris

PS...and thanks to all of you with he preschool advise...all of your opinions are helping me to come up with what will work best for us!!

Last edited by techwife; 12-23-2005 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:55 AM   #41  

Good Morning everyone!!! Wow, is it Christmas Eve already tomorrow?

I am so glad to have that colonoscopy over with; the prep was horrible!!! I weighed 120#'s when I woke up Wednesday morning...by Thursday morning, I was down to 116.5#'s. Once they filled me up with the glucose IV, I was back up to 121#'s this morning. They did discover that I had hemorrhoids, which is no surprise to me, but they also said that I have Diverticular Disease, which can turn into Diverticulitis (which is when a pouch on the colon ruptures, and causes infection. He didn't seem too concerned, as he doesn't want me to have another colonoscopy for 10 years. He also wants me to go into his office to be tested for sprue/celiac disease. It is a simple blood test that is apparently 99% accurate. I'll do that after the new year. He did take some biopsies, and told me no lifting or working out today; I was ready to get back on track and go to the gym today too. Oh well, better to take it easy for a day.

We went to my sister's last night and let the kids do their gift exchange. They had a lot of fun. My sister's husband was home, and we haven't seen him in awhile. He is in the Navy and based in San Diego.

Today, we have to run to Wal-Mart to tackle the crowds one last time. And, other than that, we have a quiet day planned. We are going to take the girls out tonight to look at Christmas light, and take our peppermint hot cocoa with us (yum)!

Bath & Body Works has a dark cocoa that is really tasty. It is rather expensive ($12 per can), but it is really good, and it comes with a lot of recipes.

Monet: I would be pissed at Amazon too. I am glad you got some resolution from them, but you shouldn't have to take the time this time of year to be corresponding with them. I am still awaiting Britt's gift from Lane; the tracking info. says it is in Phoenix somewhere, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. If not, I can run Lane out to Wal-Mart to get another Furby for Britt. The afghan is gorgeous; you s/b proud.

Tech: I think I am going to point you in the opposite direction. You can pull Kyle out of preschool, but you won't be able to pull him out of kindergarten or any of the other grades. I think that it is best for him to learn to deal with it. There, unfortunately, will be many of those types throughout the school years. I, of course, speak from experience, and I know how difficult it is to see anyone treat your child unkind. I'm not sure if you remember this story, or if it was before you started posting, but when Britt was in kindergarten, there was a nasty little girl who was very mean to Britt. She told all the other girls not to like her, and she said mean/hurtful things to her. She was in circle time one day, and named all the girls in the class as her friends, but not Britt. The teacher said, "and Brittany?" She said, "no, she's not my friend." I do have to say that the teachers were right on top of it though. They were calling that little girl out every day and talking to her and telling her that they did not approve of her behavior and did talk to her parents. There was one day, Britt was drawing some letters on the white board and this little girl was pointing at her and laughing at her. BUT, my child put herself above all of it. We walked by this little girl one day, and Britt said, "Hi Lauren...." The little girl stuck her nose in the air and walked right by her. I told Britt that she should never go out of her way to talk to that girl again. Britt said to me, "Jesus wouldn't want me to be mean to her because she is mean to me." It made me cry to think that a 5-year old was more mature then I was when it came to that situation. On the last day of school that year, Britt went up to give Lauren a hug, and Lauren just stood there with her arms to her side, and said nothing. Thank God she didn't return to the school the next year.
First grade went by without one single flaw. This year, she had one incidence with a new girl to the school, but the teachers were right on top of it. Hang in there; it is tough, but kids are tough! I think it bothers us more than it does them. I checked Amazon for something a few days ago (the item cost $24.99), and wasn't a large item. In order to get it here by Christmas, Amazon wanted to charge more than the item ($27) to ship it. Forget it!!

Thin: I am so glad you got your package in time for Christmas, and even happier that Sean's dr. visit went so well; what a Christmas gift!

Talitha: Uh-Oh..Jacob walking now...watch out! That changes everything. It helps so much when they sleep through the night, especially now when you really need your sleep.

Well, I will try to check in later since it only takes a few minutes now. I am loving my new computer and DSL!

Take care,
Nat
Old 12-23-2005, 11:10 AM   #42  

TECH: Well, Talitha was homeschooled, and I homeschooled my kids for years and years. There are tons of resources if you are interested in homeschooling and how to get started. Its very big here, and its not just for the extremely religious, like the Amish. MANY people homeschool for many reasons. Research has shown that homeschooled children are more confident and self assured than their traditionally schooled peers, and many are also way ahead academically. You can purchase curriculum programs by grade that cover EVERYTHING. Its not hard...and can be loads of fun! So, if you come to a point where you want to consider it, let me know and I will try and hook you up with some resources.

Off to shop some more! Laura and I are heading out to Hobby Lobby then the grocery store. Tom is heading out to find something for me. Poor man...he acts like he has NO idea what to get me! (personally, I think I am easy to buy for! )
Old 12-23-2005, 12:27 PM   #43  

Tech: I'm really busy but I HAD To respond to your post about homeschooling. I was homeschooled all the way except kindergarden. when I compare the experience that I had to what other friends who went through school did, i am so thankful!!! I fully intend to homeschool my kids. Always have. If you hare a supportive husband you are already ahed of so many women!!!

I wrote a really long psot about homeschooling several months bacl. If you want' I can PM you with it, as well as some gret books to read. I'm going to PM a website to you about one of my favorite books!!
Old 12-23-2005, 02:47 PM   #44  

Tech- I'm going out on the school limb again. Both of my kids did preschool at a local church here. Then Sean went right into the public system. Rachel was three days past the cut off to start school, so she did kindergarten and first in a small private school, then on to public for second grade. They are both in middle school now and are doing well. Our school system has a very aggressive superintendent and we always score ahead of other counties and states in our testing. The elementary school they went to scored in the top 11% of the country! Sean and Rach have always racked up awards and won contests and now are starting to experience the fun of chorus, band and ball games with their friends. I don't begrudge those that homeschool, but personally I think my kids need that time away from me as much as I need time from them!

We went to wal-mart this morning for a few last minute things after we took the kitties to the vet. Boy, it was a madhouse! Most of my items came from the grocery section and it was not so bad. Salem and Blair are doing well. She weighs three pounds now and he is four. He's a big boy! His eyes are also slowly improving. It seems to be a problem with the development of the eyelid. The inner lids are about half open now and he has pretty brownish eyes undreneath! We are not sure about his eyesight still. His pupils don't react much to light, but they're still partially covered by the lid, so we'll see. They've offered to refer us to a kitty opthamologist, but so far we are not going that route. Who knows how much that would set us back He seems to be happy, so I don't worry about it. Even with the lids completely open he may not see much anyway. He knows his way around the house, but this morning I left a lower cabinet door open just for a minute and WHAM he slammed right into it. He shook his head a little and went on his merry way!

Hope you all have a great Christmas Eve and Santa is VERY good to all of you!
Old 12-24-2005, 05:23 PM   #45  

Merry Christmas to all my Sugarbuster friends! !
Closed Thread