Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 09:12 PM   #46  

Hi all. I have just this week and next of OT and then I hope they are done for awhile . My Dad went back in the hospital Sunday night but he may get back out by Friday. It seems to be about every 5 weeks or so he ends up going back in.
Eating is going good. Im being super strict 6 days out of 7 and relax a little for one day. - 1/2 a pound so far this week. Im hoping for at least a full pound ( more would be nice ) Down 7.5 lbs so far since Ive stayed strict.

Monet- what great advice to grab your bible when you feel like eating. Ill have to try that.

Jack-k- I agree with you on the sugarbusters cookies. They are great. How do you make chips from tortillas?

Talitha- I hope your back does get better. Surgery is no fun. But if its the only way then It might help you in the long run. Im sorry about your dh job and all at that time. It does seem like things happen all at once.

Gator- Very pretty... the flowers.!

We have a storm moving in so I should head off. Hope everyone is having a wonderful week!
Old 06-29-2005, 10:54 PM   #47  

When I make baked tortilla chips I use low carb tortillas as my kids will not eat the ww ones and I figure these are better than regular. I spray the top of 2-3 of the whole tortillas with olive oil spray then cut each into really thin strips or wedges. Sprinkle with salt or sometimes the ranch dressing mix=no sugar. Bake for 4-5 min in 400 degree oven till brown on the edges. It may take longer for ww, I don't know. Stay close to the kitchen as these can burn quickly. They are great and could almost substitute for saltines as well, for soups or whatever. My kids eat them sometimes with salsa or cheese. Today they used the tortillas with some of my homemade pizza sauce and turkey pepperoni and cheese to make pizza for lunch. Whatever works eh?
They're trying to do pretty well, hard to get them to try more veggies though. And if they get the opportunity to drink a regular undiet drink or corndog, pizza etc. at Grandma's of course they will jump at it. I'm just trying to do better at home then maybe they can afford a splurge every now and then.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:29 AM   #48  

Good Morning! James is off at the airport picking up his 'friend', and Tom is walking out the door to go to work...using Laura's car since his is still in the shop. James has my car... Last night, I thought Laura and her friend were going to paint when they got home from work at Blockbuster, but instead they sorted laundry and cleaned in her room. Tom and I got an earful this morning about how it was not fair that we are letting James have a girl friend over when we won't let the boy Laura is dating stay over night. Well.... there are lots of reasons why, but she is not listening so we are not wasting our breath!

THIN: I am glad your kids are adjusting somewhat to the healthier eating. Of course Grandma's is going to be a challenge. My last grandparent died when I was four, but I had an aunt that was like a grandmother to me. When we (my four sisters and I) would go on a diet as teens, we always tested it by going to Auntie Mary's. If you got out of her house without cheating, you were going good! She always tried to get you to eat something...danish, cookies, a sandwich, a soda... she just wasn't happy unless she could feed you! Can you convince Grandma to stock the diet sodas instead?

TALITHA: The whole of Sugarbusters is based on the Glycemic Index. You can look at the list on Mendosa's website. ( http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm ) Some things may be low in sugar, but high in starch that will turn to sugar. Millet is one of those kind of things. Its high, and therefore not a good choice for SB. I would love to get together sometime. PM me, and lets work it out. Maybe we can talk Fillise into coming over sometime soon, (after NYC!) and you can meet her too! I am looking forward to meeting Jacob!

FILLISE: I agree..brown is less frightening! I will have to look for that stuff. I just don't get a tan naturally!

CINDY: I hope your dad is doing ok. Hey, even 1/2 a pound is the right direction! I need to follow my own advice there, on the Bible reading....I am so easily distracted!

I need to go do some last minutes cleaning, before our 'guest' arrives.... hopefully, I will be able to check in later!

Old 06-30-2005, 09:07 AM   #49  

Exclamation Bummed....

I woke up this morning a little down, and there was that D$#N cake on the kitchen table. I ate 3 or 4 bites before I realized how stupid I was being, then I walked it outside to the trash and dumped it!
Marriage isn't all that easy. I feel like a single working mom with a messy roommate right now. I feel like we'll never get a chance to go out again. My gas is turned off, haven't been able to cook for a week. We got Trav's check yesterday, so I can call and get it reconnected. Just in time, of course, for a disconnect notice on the water. Trav hasn't taken the trash ourt for 2 weeks, So I just dragged it to the curb. And he wonders why my back is still a problem.....
Ok, I'm done complaining. I just can't take anything else going wrong...

Anyway, after my 4 bites of cake, I felt lkie I was going to thowup from the sugar. I mixed a shake, half fiber/half protein, and had that for breakfast. I still feel sick from the sugar.

MONET- I'll PM you

FILLISIE- Comin' round the ATL anytime? I'd love to meet you
Old 06-30-2005, 09:15 AM   #50  
Little Engine That Could

Talitha--Check the shakes you are drinking and see how much sugar they have. Often the nutrition/protein shakes have a lot of sugar to make them taste yummy, but it sabotages us in the long run. Also, are you getting enough calories and fiber? I don't know the nutritional breakdown of your shakes, but looking at you lunch, snack and dinner from yesterday, I wondered about that.

Cindy--You might also try the pita chips: Cut a whole wheat (Toufayan Brand is 100% WW) pita loaf in half. Separate the 2 parts of the "pocket" of each half so that you now have 4 pieces of semi-circular shaped pita. Pile these 4 pieces into a stack and cut into 4 or 5 triangular wedges. If you cut into 4 wedges, you will now have 16 pita "chips." Put the chips onto a cookie sheet and bake in a 350 oven for 5 minutes or so until they are very slightly browned and crisp. These are not as thin as tortilla chips, but are very good, and elegant served with hummus, caponata, or salsa.

Monet--The information on the Rosedale diet sounds intriguing. What is leptin? What's it in? What is different about Rosedale than SB?

Talitha--no, we wont "kick you off the board." LOL We just are so glad you are back here.

Yesterday was a very difficult day for me. Normally Wednesdays are because of the junk that they have sitting around in abundance at the center where I work on Wed. mornings. Little bite sized candy bars, including Snickers, my favs. Then Hershey's chocolates, little bags of chips and cheetoes. They have a big jar of nothing but cashew nuts!!! The director thinks she is being nice to us by having these goodies for us to eat, but it is nothing but a distraction and something to sabotage me. Last Wednesday I had trouble too and had some nuts and then went "crazy" all afternoon after I came home. Yesterday, I had some cashews (about 10) and for some reason was hungry all afternoon. I just kept thinking about those yummy cashews and starting snacking on "healthy" foods. Then progressed to a nice sized piece of chocolate. My DH came home from work late--7 pm.-- so I suggested we go out to eat instead of having broiled fish as I had planned. Dinner was NOT a success food-wise!!! So, what is it that sets me off on Wednesdays???
I don't know yet. The director of the center was on vacation this week, so I gathered up the jar of nuts, the basket where they keep the chips and cheetoes, and the dish of candy bars and I put them on the bottom shelf of a closed cabinet with the following note on the top:
Please don't leave us out to tempt our Christian sisters as we don't want to cause anyone to stumble. (Then I put two scripture references) Thank you, Mr. Chips, Mrs. Candy, Mr. Nuts.
I hope this will be a helpful message to the woman who is our director. The asst. director is trying desperately to lose weight and I told her how I felt about all the temptations sitting out for us and she agreed, but was afraid to move anything because she thinks the director is "touchy." So, since I'm a volunteer, I did what I did as I am not worried about being fired. Ha Ha, Maybe they can cut my salary!!! LOL

Anyway, I'm back on the wagon today. Monet, maybe I had a leptin attack yesterday, whatever that is. I am gonna go walk as soon as I finish posting. I had oatmeal for breakfast, along with cherries and sk. milk. I finally found a good brand of oatmeal for cooking, one that is not mushy and like paste, so we had that this morning. My old favorite brand has changed their milling process and have begun rolling their oats too thin, and they were mushy.

Gotta go walk. Have a great day, everyone.

Pancho, if you have not left yet, have a great trip.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:22 AM   #51  
Little Engine That Could

Monet--I googled Rosedale diet and found a very interesting page that gave me pretty good info.
http://www.freedieting.com/rosedale_diet.htm
Old 06-30-2005, 10:31 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good morning Ladies

Well my suitcase is 3/4 packed. Only have to pack my shoes, hair products, makeup etc. Can't do that until tomorrow. We have all put an outfit in each others bags in case our luggage gets lost. I have never had that happen, but (knock on wood) there is always a first.

This is probably my last post until the 11th. I will miss you guys. I have my workout routine packed with my workout clothes and tennis shoes. Not sure if they have a fitness center, but they probably do. Planning to make the best choices I can on food. This is Carribean food so it is different than what we are used to. Their fruit is different, especially their juices. They have a lot of mangos and of course, I don't like them. Their meat is different. Don't want to know why. I have a prescription for meds for travelers diarreha. it would be welcomed by me, but the rest of the family may want to use it.

Talitha, the epidurals really helped me the first time, but after my 3rd one, I was diagnosed with breast cancer so I basically did nothing for a year. Now that I am back exercising(and trying to get the 20 chemo pounds off) it hurts again. I have had 2 so far and as long as I don't exercise I'm fine. Sorry nothing worked for you. Sure you can stay, no reason to leave us. Give the cake to a neighbor. Get it out of the house.

Gator, No I still get the epidurals. Will get one when we get back from vacation. Good idea about the note. I doubt that they will fire free help. You gotta express your feelings.

Laurie, I know the feeling. I have a whole closet full of clothes that are too tight. Funny how for awhile the scale goes up but things still fit, then all of a sudden, they no longer fit. I threw all of my "fat" clothes away. I never was going to be fat again. Then I never expected to get cancer either and that makes me mad that on top of that, I gained wt which I don't think I would have done. I'm surprise things don't still fit with all the exercise you do. That was a lot of my problem, not exercising at all for 9 months. Hang in there. They will fit again soon.

Thin, Yum! my favorite dinner. I'm coming to your house.

Nat, you are probably gone. Wow I want to travel with you. Sounds like you are very prepared. Have a safe and fun trip.

Monet, poor Tom. It's either plumbing or car problems. My and my DD both had nails in our tires. She had to get a new tire. Luckily we had the warranty and it only cost $13.00. We haven't fixed mine yet (sure hope it doesn't go flat) but we don't have the warranty :sad:

Susan, we leave Friday morning. So we will probably miss each other. Have a great trip.

Cindy, I take the ww tortilla, brush it with butter or olive oil. Sprinkle chili power, salt, garlic (really any seasoning you like) cut up into small wedges, bake at 425 for about 7 minutes. Watch them.

I'll try to get back it things are slow here today. If not, talk to you on the 11th. Have a happy and safe 4th. Guess we won't be celebrating it down there.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:18 AM   #53  
Goddess

Default Thursday Morning!

hello everyone!

Another good day of eating, but my scale at home is not budging. I keep telling myself to remember that I lose is chunks--a big loss then a stall, a big loss than a stall, well dadgum it it's time for my big loss!

Jackie--Have a great trip! Do the best you can, but have fun--youve earned a lot of fun after the last 1 1/2 years!

Gator--WTG on getting the snacks out of sight!!!!! I don't know what it is about Christians and food--everyone thinks they have to feed the five thousand--with sweets no less! When I was on staff at the church, I was confronted with sweets everytime I turned around. I'm glad you included the scripture! I hope it works.

Talitha--I'd really like to come to Atlanta to meet up with you and Monet! Let's work on something when I get back at the end of July. Hang in there--it sounds like it has been rough on you. Gaining weight won't make any of the other stuff any better though.

Monet--Tell Laura that I said she needs to be nice to her mother! And PAINT!

Thin--I think I will make some chips for the weekend. I have done the pita chips like Gator, but will try the tortilla strips to see which I like best.

Cindy--Sorry to hear you DF is in the hopital again. I hope he can get out tomorrow--but WTG on the 77.5 lbs!!!!!

Got a lot to do today as I think the world will begin shutting down for the holiday weekend early tomorrow. I'm not going anywhere since I will be headed out the next weekend for 10 days. I 'spect the boar will be slow, since it usually is over a holiday weekend--so Happy 4th everyone!

Susan
Old 06-30-2005, 11:54 AM   #54  

Hi everyone,

I am back...sort of. Company has been gone since Sunday but I am still exhausted. Dh's friend from Miami came with his wife, his wife's niece, nephew and his stepson. We went to Smokey Mountains for 3 days and had a blast. The view of the mountains were spectacular and our cabin was just luxurious. I can stay there for a long time...lol. The only place we visited was Dollywood and that was enough. Overall, we had such great time with them. I had lots of exercise when they were around though. Eating wasn't too good especially during the time at TN but I am slowly moving back to the SB direction.

I have been cleaning up the house slowly but still has a lot to do and I feel like I could use a nap every now and then. This weekend, we will have someone paint some walls in our house so I am not trying to get it too clean as I know I will have to do the major cleaning after the painting.

I went to my 30th week dr appointment on Tuedsay. I did some blood work and the rest is just normal procedure. Jr is doing just fine and so am I. My next appointment will be 3 weeks from now. Gosh, time really flies, 2 more months to go

I am hoping to slowly get back to "active" mood here so please bear with me. I need to get back to eating healthier so I am going to start to post my menu again. What I have so far today :

Breakfast : Half of fried egg and cheese sandwich, 1 cup of soymilk and 1 piece of cantelope.

Snack : 1 piece of cantelope and small handful of dried fruits/nuts trail mixed.

Lunch : Pan-seared basa fish, sauteed spinach with red pepper flakes and garlic, basmati/wild rice pilaf that I got from Costco and some can green beans which dd loves. I feel like spinach itself wasn't enough so I added a can green beans since I was lazy to cook other veggies...lol. Not sure how much nutrition I can get out of that can green beans. I know it will be a treat for Jess...she just loves it and I don't know why....lol.

Snack : Cantelope/grapes and some nuts. If I get really hungry, I might just have a piece of ww bread with peanut butter instead. I seem to get hungry so easily these days.

Dinner : Not quite sure yet.

Got to go...not sure if I am able to do any replies yet but will work on it.

Julia
Old 06-30-2005, 12:24 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Hey, guys. Not much going on today, staying home. Even church exercise is cancelled this evening, which leaves me wondering what kind of workout to do today. I know the one that I need to do, but my knees still hurt so I'll probably just do the 3 or 4 mile tape followed by some leg exercises, weights, and abs. The scale was down 2 #'s from yesterday, still up 2 from last week and 8 total.

JACK-K- Yea, it sucks not being able to wear any pants. I also threw out all my fat clothes, although I wish I would have saved 1 pair of my 24's, just so I could see the difference in then and now.

Gator- the cashews were fine if you're able to stop yourself. I no longer buy them cause I don't know when to stop eating them. I eat almonds now.

Susan- I hear ya. That's how I USED to do when I was losing weight, drop several pounds then stall and so forth. Then I can remember when I was expecting my drop at anytime and it wouldn't come. Frustrating. Hang in there, you're doing good. Do you only eat SB legal foods, or do you occasionally eat WW foods, too? I always wondered if it would affect you're weight to do SB then eat a WW meal(like at Applebee's). I heard their onion sourdough soup is really good.

Talitha- at least you were able to stop yourself before eating anymore of that cake. I also wonder if you're getting enough calories with drinking those shakes. I hear ya about the bills, I'm behind as well and it doesn't look like I'll be catching up anytime soon.

Well, here's my menu for the day:

BF- was plain yogurt(with splenda and cinnamon) and an orange
Lunch- leftover beef and cabbage casserole
Snack- fresh sliced tomatoes broiled with mozzarella cheese
Supper- baked chicken breast, fried squash and onions(in olive oil), green beans

I really hope that I see 166 again(last week's weight) tomorrow, or definetly by Saturday. That way I can report a lower weight on WIW. Alright, I need to get off the computer and do my workout. Man, I haven't wanted to exercise this week! I have procastinated about it, but when it's finally over, I'm glad I did it. I'll need to keep reminding myself that while exercising,lol.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:58 PM   #56  

Hello ladies,

I know I have been MIA again this week, but with good reason this time. I pulled the muscles in my back again, and have been flat on the couch until today. The pain pills and muscle relaxers just zap me. I do nothing but sleep. I didn't take any last night, and am doing fairly well this morning......even walked my 3.2 miles, so I think I am on the mend.....don't even know what I did......could it have been sitting on the bleachers for so long at the rodeo????

We had a really great weekend. Started off by selling the boat for the full asking price!! Yeah!! Then we had a birthday party for my Grandma Saturday afternoon. I had all kinds of relatives come from all over for this. One Aunt came from New Mexico, one came from the coast, and a Great Aunt and Uncle came up from Utah. I have been very close to this people so was wonderful to see them. I am looking forward to seeing them again in October, as I am going to be taking my Mom down to see her Mother. After the party, Mom, my brother and I went to Newport to watch Brant ride. He took third in both rodeo's that he entered this past weekend. The sad part is that a very young kid was killed Saturday night in the bull riding. He was only 17 years old. My heart aches for his parents and family. I always think that it could have been Brant when something like this happens.

Sunday we went out to breakfast and did a bit of gambling. We both ended up winners for a change. I cashed out for $75.00. and Ted cashed out for $44.00 then hit the biggest payout on his machine for 2,500 nickels......$125.00. It was a nice day for the both of us.

I also picked 4 boxes of strawberries this weekend. I am trying to get them taken care of now that I can walk around. Don't need any jam this year, but I want to freeze some. I still have quite a few bags in the freezer too though.......

Eating has been great, I did plan on a couple of cheats. A thin sliver of Grandma's cake. And I had some other sweet on Tuesday that was planned. But I didn't over do, and stuck to one small portion on both occasions. If I could do that all the time......I wouldn't have this problem..........

B--8 oz fresh strawberries, Lite 85 yogurt.

snack??

L--turkey and swiss ww wrap, 1/2 c ff cottage cheese.

snack??

D-- Taco salad with ww tortilla.

I will update my menu when I figure out what I am eating.........
Old 06-30-2005, 01:03 PM   #57  

Monet, which Costco do you go to? I started to learn how to drive to the one in Morrow yesterday. It was the furthest I have driven on my own, out of my county so far...lol. I am learning slowly to venture out further...still dare not drive to Buford Highway yet

Julia
Old 06-30-2005, 01:07 PM   #58  

The Go FIgure 8 shakes are sweetened with stevia and fructose. They are full meal replacement. Half the reason that I'm drinking them so much is the time factor, and the fact that my gas is turned off and I can't cook. Pathetic, isn't it?

I don't want anyone to think I have an alterior motive for talking about the shakes, since I am selling the products. I have researched them, and spoken with a dietician about them, and they were approved even while I was breastfeeding. I was really hoping to incorporate them into the SB diet that I used to do.

I didn't expect to have such a hard time remembering what's ok to eat and what's not. I am so overwhelmed with life right now that I just need some accountability and encouragement, not matter what I am eating. I am starting a weekly board on the gofigure8 website to be similar to this, for my clients. But I want to keep this up as well, so that I have somewhere that's not 'work related' to connect. I also need to get back on track with SB for my remaining meals. It's just going to take more effort than I thought.

Can a couple of you check out the dietary info on the shakes ant tell me if you think they are ok?

http://www.gofigure8.com/interior/products.php

The dietarty and ingredient info is on the right under Product Knowledge Sheets,

I usually mix the shakes with fruit and there is a FIber shake too. I'm not sure how many calories I am getting.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:45 PM   #59  

TALITHA: What is the source for the protein in those shakes? I had to download the pdf file to get the nutritional info, but it just says its not from animals. If its soy, it really should say that for the sake of those who can't have soy. The vanilla was six grams of sugar per serving, and the chocolate was four. That is not bad, though the six is over the limit. If they work for you I don't think they are all that bad. I don't do well with protein shakes and such. I do much better on real protein like fish and chicken, and veggies. Tom, on the other hand, loves a protein smoothie...

KENG: I go to the Costco in Gwinnett. Its right by Harry's Whole Foods. There is another one up near my church in Dunwoody, but traffic is always really bad around that one.... I am thinking of trying BJ's. They just built one really close to me.

HEART: Sounds like things are looking up...or down as the case may be!

TEENSY: I am so sorry about your back! Its awful when you have back pain! You can't move without it hurting! That is so sad about that young boy. Its a reminder that rodeo riding is a dangerous sport.... Prayers for Brandt's safety...

FILLISE: I would pass on your message to her highness, but she went out early this morning, leaving an atrocious mess, and hardly told me where she was going. I know she never slept last night, and so I am not feeling warm and squishy towards her.

JACK: You will be missed! Have a great time!

GATOR: This book is very interesting. Rosedale is supposedly one of the leading authorities on metabolism in the country. Leptin is a hormone that has been recently discovered, and they are doing studies to determine what all it does. One thing is clear, it is very powerful. Rosedale thinks you can become resistant to it, just like you do insulin, which causes the metabolic system to go haywire, and causing your brain to keep telling your body to store fat. Eating the right kinds of foods can help resensitize you to Leptin, and his diet is the supposed best way to retrain your system, and lose weight. His desciption of Leptin resistance sounds like a list of my rants.... He says all other metabolic systems are influenced by the leptin, hence low thyroid function is a result of leptin problems. I am probably going to at least try the healing phase of his diet and see what happens. I will keep you posted.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:00 PM   #60  

Keng- Where are you in GA?

Monet- The protein comes from yellow peas. It should be on the PDF I looked at iut the other day and it was there. I am using the whole system, minus the Weight loss supplement. I really do better with the shakes, since Travis is gone so much. I hate taking the time and energy to eat. When I do want to eat I just have a regular healthy meal. I've used the shakes more lately because I've been working so hard. SInce today is the last day of the month, I can relax. This month was unusual because I was doing a Top 10 Challenge to win a bracelet from Tiffany's. I'm the only one who did it!!! I also earned a peridot ring, but I didn't get my $200 bonus I was hoping for. No big deal. It would have been a shock to get it my first month as District Manager, anyway.
Closed Thread