Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 07:28 AM   #1  

Default Sugarbusters Weekly Support Board 4/18 - 4/24

This is the
SUGAR BUSTERS WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD
where all of you who are following this WOE, or are thinking about doing so, are welcome to come join in and be a part of our wonderful group.

Other than finding support and friendship on this board, we also try to do something during the the week to add a little difference to our board.

MONDAY-MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY
TUESDAY-TUESDAYS TIPS & FACTS
WEDNESDAY-WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY-TASTY THURSDAY (RECIPE DAY)
FRIDAY-FRIDAY FUNNIES

Please take some time to check out our extensive recipe boards. Our RECIPE BOARDS can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=89

Look for our QUARTERLY RECIPE BOARDS to post your favorite recipes and to see the most recently posted recipes. Recipes from the quarterly boards will be archived in proper categories at some point.

We have SEVEN INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! New information is continually being posted, so please make sure you visit them often!!! The boards are listed below as well as the link that will take you to the boards:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD
THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD
THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD
MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD
MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS
SB 2002 BIO BOARD
SB 2001/2002 PHOTO ALBUM BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=87

We also have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on which is located on our weekly support board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...641#post823641

NEWBIES! (aka new members) If you would like to REPLY to any of our threads, please hit POST REPLY not NEW THREAD, then type your message in and hit SUBMIT REPLY. If you need to edit your reply, just click on edit located in the body of your post and make changes as you need to, then hit SUBMIT NOW.

WELCOME!

Old 04-18-2005, 07:41 AM   #2  

Cool Motivational Monday!!

Its Monday! That means time to motivate and challenge!

Here are a few challenges for all my favorite losers!

1. Try a new recipe and post it! Share your review with your sugarbuster buddies! We all win!

2. What is your biggest temptation? What ways have you come up with to deal with it? Share and maybe it will help someone else!

Now lets go out and make this a GREAT week!
Old 04-18-2005, 07:52 AM   #3  

Smile

Good Morning! I slept just so so last night, so I feel a bit groggy this morning. For some reason, I am retaining water, so I feel all puffy and bloated too. I am drinking lots of water, in hopes that it helps.

I am going to have to run my car over to the mechanic today to get a gas possible gas leak checked out. I am not looking forward to that. I will need to find a book to read, and hope and pray it doesn't take them long.

I hope everyone is doing well, and had a good weekend! Mine sure was busy, but thankfully, the plumbing is coming along, and we may have hot water in our shower tonight! Its amazing how a problem of these proportions makes you appreciate little things!

I will be back in a bit! Time for breakfast!

Old 04-18-2005, 10:02 AM   #4  

Good morning...

It is nice and sunny here. I believe it will be warm as well. The dinner with neighbors were great yesterday. I didn't overdo it and only ate a little bit of the low carb potatoes since I was busy serving the guests and Jess. Today should be a relaxing day. I will have to take Jess to her music class later and the rest of the day will be pretty much at home. Today is dh's off day so hopefully we get to spend some family quality time together.

As for Monet's question, my biggest temptation is when I am eating out. Dh and I hardly eat out, not even once a month so when we eat out I tend to allow myself some room to breathe. I do not purposely order a "sweet" dish but I will not hesitate to treat myself to a little bit of my fav not-so-legal dish. I do try to portion control most of the time but not always successful. This is my personal opinion...a little treat of my fav food once in a while helps me feel "free" instead of "confine" in this eating plan. This is a a way of eating for life so I need to make myself comfortable...lol.

This is what I know I am having so far, the rest is not sure yet :

Breakfast : 1 low carb ww pita bread filled with leftover ranch chicken and 1/2 cup of milk.

Snack : Cantelope.

MONET : A trip to the mechanic is not something to look forward to but hopefully nothing major or expensive needs to be done. Hope you catch a nap too

That's for now. Got to check on Jess, she is awfully quiet Hope everyone have a good day.

Julia
Old 04-18-2005, 10:04 AM   #5  
Addicted to potato salad!

Okay, let's try this 'manage attachments' thingy...I'm attempting to post a picture of "Junior", our Old English Sheepdog puppy that we're picking up on Wednesay. This picture one that the kennel owner e-mailed us. We don't think its a great picture as we wish she would have gotten down to his level, but we like the fact that he goes across from black ear to white face to black face to white ear...like a parfait!! AND he has one brown eye and one blue eye. I can hardly wait...I think. Like I said in last weeks threads, I've never, ever owned a dog in my life and I'm apprehensive knowing this 9-week-old puppy will grow to probably a hundred-pound playful, shedding horse!! But my hubby assures me that he'll become my fast friend and walking companion every day...which I'm reeeeally looking forward to. I anticipate walking every day for an hour with him at least. Unless its raining. AND, I'm going to give the bugger a bath every week so we don't get the dog smell in our house. It's okay for other people's house, but not mine!!

Anyhow...isn't he cute??? I'll attach more pictures when we get him...

Kris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg junior.JPG (34.2 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-18-2005, 10:18 AM   #6  
Little Engine That Could

Good morning all my SugarBuster buddies,
I have not dropped off the face of the earth, as you may have thought. I have been in a deep morass of studies, the worst of which I see this week. This is the last week of my French prononciation class at the university and I am delighted about that. I do have my "final exam" a week from Thursday, but I am already prepared for that. It will be reciting from memory a 6 stanza poem by Charles Baudelaire, a French poet who wrote about weird stuff (eg. the intricate decriptions of the process of the decay of the body of a dead animal--maggots, gasses, etc. Gross, right!!) I also have to hand in a 20 page report, written in French analysing the poem in various ways. My poem is about the "spirit of wine"and it took me TONS of time to get the report done. I hated every part of it. The prof marks off for any mispronounciations I make. Thing is, he has spent the better part of the semester having us study poetry analysis rather than even once listening to us individually say anything in French!! So I don't find out about my proficiency in speaking except for a one-shot deal that the final exam. I am definitely giving him a bad evaluation at the end of the semester.

Anyway, that's off the subject. My greatest respects go to Sebray with a full load of classes. I know how frantic life can be when you are up to your elbows with class projects, reports, exams, etc. It is definitely harder when you have a family to take care of too. As a student, all you had to do was study, date, and eat Ramen noodles!!! No other responsibilities.

I also started a French language class with the local Alliance Française (French Alliance) which has classes with lots of conversation and also grammar. I don't have to waste time on French literature, composition, etc, which I'm sure is fine, but not for someone just wanting to learn how to converse with the French locals at a decent level. This is my 3rd week of that class and there are 4 people in the class. Definitely a better student-teacher ratio. Last week there were 2 missing, so there were just 2 of us in class. Lots of conversation and learning for me!! Anyway, getting used to that class along with my university class took some real adjustment and I really felt like I was behind the 8 ball. Everything is much better now since my one class is ending.

My sincerest congratulations go out to MONET and your being designated as official moderator. You have done such a great job as our "leader" and I have appreciated your challenges each week. Way to go!!!

Fillise , you should be leaving for Italy any day now. When is the official date of your departure? We are leaving for France in 3 1/2 weeks and will be back after the first week in June. We are very excited about our trip and have everything ready except for packing and getting our cats taken care of. I'm hoping that my studies will really pay off while we are over there.

My eating and exercising has been so-so. For the past 3 weeks I have been eating whatever and just grabbing what is handy. Often not the best stuff. My normal morning 2 miler has not happened because I would go right to my computer every morning to work on that darn French poetry project. Ugh. I'm so darned glad that it is finished. Most of it was BS but writing BS in French is definitely harder than writing it in English. Today I will go out and do my two miles, and it will feel so good to get back out there. I have stayed up with my weight lifiting because I pay my trainer for at least one day a week. That is motivation to get my butt over there to lift those weights. Right now I have a bad head cold, so I missed my second workout last week because of that. I am feeling better enough so today I will be back in the weight room. I also will get back on track with the eating.

Monet, I bet your roses are coming in so nicely now. My DH's are just lovely, and the best time of year for roses is right now. He cut his back in Feb. and they are so lush and disease free right now. He cut his first bouquet this morning and took them in to his work. This was the first week that I have been able to find free time to work in our yard. My butterfly garden needed a ton of cutting back and weeding, but it looks so beautiful now, just like an English cottage garden. The scabiosas are spilling over the garden path, the the lantana trees are in full bloom. There are masses of pink, purples, blues and reds out there, and it is just breathtaking. I have had several caterpillars and crysalides, and even raised two caterpillars in my butterfly box. The milkweek that is the favorite food of monarch butterfly caterpillars has been chomped down by the several that were in the garden, so I cut them all back and there are very few leaves to attract the females to lay eggs. No food is there for the young!

BOB keep us posted on your love life. Sounds like fun times for you. Just play it cool. :wink:
Speaking of love life, my DD has decided to get married to the guy she has dated for a couple of years. He has been married 2X before and has a kid, and does not have a stable job history. Bad stuff. But he is in love with our DD and is personable and we get along very well. We have done our part as parents in very clearly pointing out to our DD the fact that she probably will get very tired of supporting him, and that having children will be very hard if he doesn't have a good income. And that he hasn't been divorced 2 X for nuthin'. She says she understands. But she is in love and I think all reason has left her head. So we are going to suck it up and be happy for her and for him and just pray for the best. I am happy she is happy, and happy that it is her and not me marrying him. I have no idea when they want to get married, but she mentioned getting married in our back yard. It probably will be a small "simple" wedding. They are looking for a church that is closer to her house, where they will live (since he doesn't have a home, of course) as the one they attend (with us) is over 30 minutes away. I agree that they need to find a church where they can be active and friends with the people there. Maybe she will get married in that church (hope, hope). Anyway, I'll keep you posted on this saga.

Pancho I hope your new exercises are working well for your "innards." You probably were smart to hold off and get more information, and even look for alternatives. We are so quick to get under the knife in this country and the doctors don't normally seem open to looking for other options. Congratulations to you for your "holistic" outlook.

I hope everyone here has a great SB day. I need to close now and get my shoes on and get my butt out there walking. I have already sprayed the weeds in the garden and have gotten the laundry on, so need to get moving. I had a lot of catching up to do, but it is good to be back.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:19 AM   #7  

KENG: Nap! What a great idea! Looks like I take the car down tonight and leave it for them to look at in the morning. Still, I will be without a car tomorrow and I am NOT happy!

TECH: The puppy looks cute! I agree, the picture would be much nicer if it were on the same level so you could see his body. How do you find a puppy so far away? What happens if you get there, and you hate his personality, etc.? I never had a dog either...we always had cats. Tom had a dog a few times growing up, but their house was on a busy road, and dogs and cats were always getting hit. He grew up on a farm, but the road just did them in.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:28 AM   #8  

Well, now that THAT worked, maybe I'll attach other pictures of things!!

This weekend I had my mom and dad over for dinner. It's always nice to see them come back from Florida every year. We had chicken on the grill and fried summer squash. Which is my entry for the week for a new recipe:

Fried Summer Squash

One large Summer Squash
One egg
1/4 cup of half n half
salt and pepper
tbsp olive oil

Okay...slice up the summer squash in 1/4 - 1/2 inch slices. Beat the egg, half n half (you can use skim milk if you want) and salt and pepper (to taste) in a bowl. Heat the oil in a skillet or frying pan (I have a big flat square one that fits four grilled cheese sandwiches that I use!) on medium/low heat. Dip the squash slices in the egg mixture and the put them on the frying pan. Turn them a few times until they are golden on each side. Tip: Give the slices a little wiggle before turning them so the egg batter doesn't stick to the pan.

Well, I didn't put it on the exercise board, but I walked a couple miles on Saturday and then helped my hubby rake the old leaves off the grass yesterday for about an hour. Last winter came on us with really quick this fall before we had the chance to get all the leaves up. We went around once, but with 7 150-year-old maple trees in our yard, we have to go around more than once or else the leaves get pressed and half-rotted, like they did this year, and they have to be practically scraped off the grass . So, we ended up with about 15 big bags of leaves at the curb...talk about exercise!!

Anyhow...I'll be back later on...

Kris

Last edited by techwife; 04-18-2005 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #9  

Hey Everybody! We have TWO birthdays this week!

Big Orange Babe Wednesday, April 20

Heartmom Friday April 22

Happy Birthday from your Sugarbuster pals!
Old 04-18-2005, 11:03 AM   #10  

Monet: Thanks!! My hubby went to the AKC something or other website and found him on a OES link or something. The kennel is registered with the AKC, so we should be fine. I mean, he's only 9 weeks old, so I can't imagine he's had a chance to develop a bad personality. AND, is said puppy turned out to be a lemon, that'll be my hubby's issue and this whole thing was 100% his idea. I would never get a puppy except that he's wanted one for, like, 5 years. He's had three in his adult life and he thinks it'll be good for the kids to have a dog to grow up with. From everything I've read about OES's, they're superb dogs to have with kids...I'm treating it like it's the third baby I've been wanting since my son was born. I'll have to brush him every day and give him a bath on Saturday nights just like a kid. I admit I'm looking forward to teaching him to roll over and fetch things out of the river on hot days!! But I'm not so much looking forward to him going out in the backyard and doing his business when he's full grown on muddy days in the spring and then romping through my house all wet and muddy. DH said we just have to keep some old towels on the back porch to dry him off when he comes in. AND, I'll be so livid the first time I'm in my back yard and step on a stinky landmine!! So, to say I'm apprehensive is an understatement....if I were a kid and not the mommy, I'd be ecstatic, but as the resident mommy, I'm predicting all the upkeep will end up in my lap as usual. DH had better know that when THIS baby is up in the night crying it'll be HIM that drags himself out of bed to see what's the matter... But I've been wanting to develop an early morning exercise routine and my hubby doesn't like the idea of me walking the streets at 6am, but when I told him that I plan on getting up and walking Junior (DH keeps calling him J.R....which was the name of the first boyfriend I had that did his business and then dumped me...DH doesn't know this...but he is NOT allowed to call him J friggen R!! ...ever!! ) at 6am and he says that would be great now that I'll be walking with a dog that is the size of a small horse!! Anyhow...

BOB: I forgot to say...good luck with the recycled beau!! Like leftovers, sometimes things are better the second time around!!

Gator: Good luck to you with the French classes, as always. I had to drop out of my Spanish classes in college. I had a really, really mean half Cuban/half German teacher and she was so intimidating I thought...I'm paying a decent buck to take this class to learn a language, not feel like I'm going to be shot at because I'm not getting it right!! She would literally shake and act really offended if you said something wrong. So, I quit the class and saved the money. I think the older you get, the harder it is to learn a second language.

Monet: It's never the time it takes at the mechanic's that gives me a rash...it's being taken for a ride and feeling like they are dishonest with me about what needs to be done and then overcharging me. I've seriously thought about going to B.O.C.E.S. and taking auto mechanics courses to learn how to fix my car myself because I'm absolutely, 100% ocnvinced that every single solitary mechanic is a rip off artist...especially when they see a girl coming. The only one I ever trusted I ended up dating and then he got what he wanted and then dumped me...much like the aforementiond JR...so, even more reason to NOT trust mechanics. I'm getting all heated just thinking about it. I'm should stop thinking about it before I have to go back out and throw mudballs at the barn again!! Hope you have better luck than I do. I always make my DH take the car if he can't fix it himself now. Or make my dad go with me.

Anyhoo...I have to go get something done...it's a great day to put laundry out on the line, so I should get some done before it gets too late for things to dry properly...talk to you guys later!!

Kris
Old 04-18-2005, 11:22 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good Monday morning.

Whew! I had to come to work to rest. We shoveld and distributed a truck load of mulch yesterday. Planted flowers and I washed 2 cars, fixed dinner and cleaned my house. I was worn out last night. I worked from 8 am to 8 pm.

Went to the first communion on Sat. That was my only bad eating of the weekend and it was not my fault. (always like to blame it on someone else). We were going to go early and take my youngest and her roommate to dinner, but my oldest DD didn't get out of class until 4:30 and we didn't get to stop and get anything to eat. When we got to the house my sister had ordered pizzas. So considering I hadn't eaten since noon, and was not going to be home until 11, I ate 3 pieces. I passed on the cake and had sf ice cream.

No luck on DD's house yesterday. :sad:

Bob,so they didn't admit Kate? Sure hope all these meds help. So your friends are matchmakers huh? They mean well. You are smart to take it slow but you also deserve to be happy.

Cindy, your cut and you are adorable. Love the highlights.

Thin, glad your mom is doing better.Reahb is a wonderful thing. She will be better soon.

Sarah, sending prayers for your DD. Keep us posted on the surgery.

Country, I'm with you on the fish. I am sick of red meat and don't reallyl ike chicken too much, but I love that fish.

Tech, Old English Sheepdogs used to be my favorite dog. Growing up I always wanted one. Good luck with the training. I hear keeping them in a cage at night and when you are gone helps. He is so cute. How big will he get? Thanks for the recipe. I'm gonna try it.

Ken, enjoy your day with your family.

Gator, Glad you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. It's a shame the class was so bad. My DD finsihed her Masters Saturday and she is thrilled to be done with school. Congrats on your DD's marriage. You can't tell kids anything. They have to learn on their own. They think love solves all problems. Hopefully this will work out and he will get a good job.

Toni, glad you had a nice weekend. Now that you stocked your pantry you will be on the right track.

Monet, glad you plumbing is getting fixed. Gonna have to try a new dessert recipe and post it.

Gotta go get some work done. I have done my DD's graduation announcements and Cancer Society mailing so far this morning and no work. Can you tell the bosses are not here yet. :smile:

Have a great OP day.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #12  
Gettin' Skinny

S/C/G: 151/135/110

Height: 5'1"

Hi all...

Okay, DD news...just got back from the doctor...he has referred her to two surgeons...this whole process is such a bummer...why do we have to wait for "this appt, that appt, this appt etc...!!!" Just get it done so she doesn't have pain!!!!!!!!

I was a really bad girl all weekend,I think it was my nerves from my DD...I gave in to some comfort foods..but, today I am feeling quite chunky! I didn't get on the scale...it would make me feel quite depressed on top of this. I know my DD will be okay..but, ya know, every time a kid is feeling bad...tears...pain...it makes us moms feel much worse. Plus, I don't like my kids to "go under" with anesthesia.

Enough enough enough...something happy...well, it is beautiful out today! I did get a chance to work on my backyard...I need to work more there this week..so, the kids can play in a nice environment (not a "winter mess" of leaves and refuse from the seasons..lol!)

Sorry, no replies right now. I just read everyones posts... I will try later...I have to marinate some chicken right now.

As for Monet's questions for the week...

Temptation: peanut butter!!!! I could eat an entire jar of peanut butter. It shows on my thighs. Thank goodness my favorite peanut butter is Smuckers Natural Creamy...not any added sugar etc.

I will try to find a recipe and post it...

=Sarah=
Old 04-18-2005, 11:35 AM   #13  

Good Monday Morning; I hope everyone had a great weekend. Our weekend was pretty laid back. We went to church yesterday and ran into some friends of ours that we haven't seen in awhile. They all seemed rather quiet and distant; they have always been very outgoing and happy, etc..Britt went to school with their daughter. They were there with the kids and the kids grandma. Well, it turns out that the kids' grandma has been diagnosed with lung cancer and only has two months to live. They are an extremely close family, and their world has been turned upside down. My heart breaks for them. They have moved her in with them, and they are flying people in to see her. They were on the way to have family portraits done yesterday. I will continue to pray that she doesn't have to suffer and that the family is able to cope the best that they can with such a significant loss. The cancer has already spread to her brain too.

I cannot believe we only have two more weeks of April...gheez, where does the time go?

I was TERRIBLE over the weekend. I made chocolate chip cookies with the kids, and ate my fair share (we'll leave it at that). We also went to DQ on Saturday evening and I ate a hot fudge sundae. I am back on track today, and my weight was 120.5# this morning, so I'll try to keep it there for awhile.

To answer Monet's question/challenge: My biggest challenge is social events. I feel like I want to try everything, and when you are socializing, eating and drinking just fall into play. I tend to overeat when I am in a social situation, and I make bad food choices. I could overeat the healthy stuff, but I don't. I do agree with Ken though...if you occasionally allow yourself to have the things that you don't normally eat, it is easier to stick with this type of eating plan for life, and you don't feel deprived.

Monet: Good luck with the car; I hope it doesn't take too long and I hope it's not too expensive. I hope you can enjoy a hot shower tonight.

Tech: Good luck....If you can get through the puppyhood, you s/b fine. Raising a puppy is a lot of work, and it takes a lot of patience. Our 4-year old Golden Retriever is just starting to outgrow her puppyhood, and it's been a long 4 years! That bathing vow of yours should last about 6 months, and then he will get so big, and you will be so busy that you won't find the time to bathe him like you think . We bathe our dogs outside in the hose when the weather is warm, and then I pay a dog groomer to come to our house, and bathe, clip, shave them in her truck 2-3x/year. It's easier to hold them down when they are little, but when they get bigger...they get other ideas, and you are usually the one to get the bath . With that being said, he looks precious!!!! The kids will love to have a dog. Kids and dogs go together like peanut butter & jelly. The belong together. My collie dog was my best friend growing up, and our kids love their two dogs. When Britt was student of the week last week, she couldn't wait to bring "her" dog to show the class. The kids were like a mob all over her, but she just laid down and took all the attention in.

Gator: 20 page report in French? My school days would be over with an assignment like that. Good luck with the presentation and paper. Glad you have kept up with the weights; the cardio and eating will fall back into place soon; it is tough when you are so busy with classes. Congrats to your DD. She obviously is old enough to make her own decisions, and it is so good of you to recognize that. You have told her how you feel, and then have extended your congratulations and your love, and that is so important for her to know that you love her no matter what her decisions in life are. You are a good mom!

Well, I better go get Lane a snack.

I will try to check in later.

Take care, and have a great OP day!
Nat
Old 04-18-2005, 11:39 AM   #14  

Ahhhh a new week! Hi everybody.... The sun is out and its beautiful here. My dreamweaver rose has buds all over it. And I've got a wisteria tree blooming in the front yard. I'm getting my usual late start this morning but don't really care. Only thing I haven't had breakfast and my DH comes home for lunch in an hour so guess I'll wait till then. I've got some pretty strawberries I need to cut up and put splenda on for a nice treat.

Monet- I can feel for you about your car. My AC in my car went out this week and we take it over to the mechanic and leave it today. And pray big time it doesn't cost to much and isn't anything serious. But you sure can't live in Missouri without air in the car.

Jack-K- Whoa girl you sound so busy it makes me tired. But I do miss so bad being able to work in the yard. I had a beautiful little woodland garden that has gone to pot since I got disabled. But its kind of neat today I can see from our deck a beautiful bleeding heart blooming.

Techwife- Your puppy looks just adorable. I love those kind of dogs. Can't wait for you to get it and tell us lots of stories about the antics of a puppy. I have two dogs, a blue heeler and a boston terrier who are spoiled rotten.

Gator-Wow you've been studying your brains out. It sounds so hard what you're doing. Hope you get to take a break from all of it soon...

Julia- Send that breakfast to me. It sounds so yummy. Makes me what some pita bread and chicken.

Bob- Howdy gal. Hope Kate is better today.

Time to run.....
Old 04-18-2005, 11:41 AM   #15  

Hi Pancho. Sounds like you had a good week end. Those cookies sure sound good.
Closed Thread