Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: If you could eat as much as you wanted of one item & still lose weight, would it be..
Chocolate 7 20.00%
Cookies 6 17.14%
Cakes 2 5.71%
Pies 0 0%
Ice Cream 7 20.00%
Potatoes 5 14.29%
Potato Chips 3 8.57%
Popcorn 2 5.71%
Bananas/Pineapple/Raisins/Watermelon (non SB legal fruits) 1 2.86%
Other 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2001, 01:16 PM   #16  

Hi!! just a quicky! I have tons to do and never get anything accomplished!! Had a pretty yucky week end food wise! I guess when i get that "i am cured" thing going it really does me in-then i whip my butt and get with it again. I am only hurting myself i know and won't whine anymore! I guess part of my problem is just getting used to this bod! I am finally seeing myself as a smaller person but when i cheat i automatically see FAT on me der! I Know -see what our heads do? I have had some things off the program and have been suffering with terrible stomach ache and head aches -constipation also-but we won't go their! I really don't like feeling like that!!!!! Anyway enough about me!

You all have great posts (i have been lurking) Everyone sounds like they are excited and on their way! I hope i have been suportive. Keep it up everyone. I have to take my middle son to the Dr. today. I know he is going to say something about his weight. I am getting myself pumped up to tell him off!!!! LOL I have had some issues (besides the weight) with this Dr. and am ready to find another one for them. Oh well. I hate stuff like this! I will be lurking if i don't post! I got my pay check today and liked what i got with my 9 hrs of O.T sooo gonna try and push it this week while they have it at work!

Rhonda
201.2/140 ????/135-yeah i can do it!
Old 04-30-2001, 02:27 PM   #17  

Hello everyone!

Why is it that Mondays always mean rush, rush, RUSH for me?! It's so hard to get back into the swing of things after the weekend, even a busy one like I had.

Well, I know why I felt so bloated and blah......that lovely TOM decided to come a few days early. I don't know why, but I get the munchies soooo bad during this time. I have to confess.....I just ate about 1/2 box of Triscuits. Just had to have something to crunch on. Oh well...LOL..... a month ago I would have eaten a whole bag of Doritos. Maybe that's progress At least I don't have to worry about getting enough fiber today!

My daughter will be 8 on Thursday. It's funny....for so long I blamed my weight on having children. Well, when the "baby" is turning 8, I think I lose the right to blame it on her anymore!

Here's my contribution to Motivational Monday. This is quote from Oprah Winfrey's book, Make the Connection:

"The connection is a change in perception. It is first realizing that losing weight is not what is most important. Instead, the excess weight is merely a symptom of a larger problem and losing it is a side effect, a nice one certainly, of something much more important. It is really about increasing self-confidence, inner strength, and discipline. It is about feeling better on a daily basis, having control over your life, and caring about yourself. Ultimately it is about self-love."

I know I need to remember this more often!

Have a great day!

Lisa
215/204/140
Old 04-30-2001, 03:26 PM   #18  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Default Just a Quickie!

CHRIS - I was thinking about you and, I don't know if they have garage sales in Hawaii, but I bought a very nice, very expensive steamer for 25 CENTS at a garage sale and used that darn thing at least once a week for YEARS and we just bought a new one a couple of months ago. We're all too aware of how people get on these fad diets and buy all kinds of gadgets and then move on to something else. We got a very nice juicer from someone who did that. I'm sure you can find something without breaking the bank. We don't have a food processor and make do just fine for all the cooking and things we make.

NANCEMEISTER - Welcome! I call my dear husband "Vince-Meister" - been his nickname since the first day we met. Cool name! You'll be a "real live" example of how it can be done - a regular celebrity in the office - before you know it!

MARIE - We ate at an Indian restaurant for the first time on vacation and they had Basmati Rice and some red pepper or onion chutney - oooohhhhhh, it was good!! So I can have it, FOR REAL, huh??? I'm excited!!

LISA - Loved your quote! Yes, Triscuits IS an improvement over Doritos if you ask me. It's a move in the right direction - and THAT's an improvement.

RHOO - Hope everything goes well at the Dr. and that you find one who will be much more compassionate and who has a better "bedside manner" we pay too much for them to not be nice, helpful and encouraging.

DEBBIE - 1 year only? WOW!! I'd a thunk you were an old pro at all this with YEARS under your belt! You do an awesome job!! Thank you for all the time you give to keeping us motivated and organized!!

How about a few more goals of mine? (Apologies for any repeats - feel free to share yours)
-- To sit on my husband's lap and not worry about squishing him!
-- To wear cropped sweaters with pants and not feel like I have to cover up my butt/stomach.
-- go on any amusement park ride i feel like without checking the weight limit first.
-- To wear my shirts tucked in again.
-- Go Canoeing without worrying that the canoe will sink or bottom out because I'm in it.
-- I want to worry about the bikini area of a one piece bathing suit because now all my suits have skirts.
-- I want a pointy chin
-- I want cheekbones
-- Not have my top arms wave the same time I wave!
-- to not here that "swoosh-swoosh" sound when I walk and am wearing pantyhose....or pants for that reason.
-- What I would like most is to meet my husband at the door with a sexy, slutty outfit on and have him be able to pick me right up and carry me to the bedroom. Now if we only get as far as the kitchen table that is OK too!
-- Have a picture taken and not have to hold my head in a wierd position to minimize my chins.
- Not be afraid that the seatbelts on an airplane or someone elses' vehicle aren't going to fit.
-- I would like to be able to sit in the bath tub with water all the way around me and not just in front of and behind me. Or better yet have room for my husband to join me!
-- To wear a two hook bra, instead of an industrial 5 hook
-- On a cold night, when my husband offers his sweatshirt, I can accept it and put it on without fear of stretching it out.
-- I want to walk up a flight of stairs without having a stroke.
-- I NEVER want to wear "grannie panties" again!!!
Old 04-30-2001, 03:59 PM   #19  
Bustin' Buddy

Afternoon ladies!

Just got back from the doctor - went for my first day of allergy testing. We did the food allergies today. My husband was telling me that a lady at work did the same thing as me and now she can't eat very many things. I told him that that wouldn't be such a bad thing! I said - maybe I'm allergic to everything I'm eating and I'm not really fat I'm just SWOLLEN!! If only that were true!

Well, these are a few things I was allergic to: white fish, shrimp, broccoli, peanuts, pecans, pinapple, pears, plums, lettuce, and a few others I think. They will give me the list tomorrow when I go back for my last test. The ones that hurt the most are the shrimp and fish! Those are my favs.

SOL: Love the goals - those were funny! I am totally with you on all of those!

Well, I'll check back later - I'm off to do some house work being that I'm off this afternoon!

Missy
284/25?/170
Old 04-30-2001, 04:34 PM   #20  
Goddess

Default Good Monday Afternoon!

I hope everyone had a good weekend and is starting on a wonderful week!

I was all over the state this weekend on a spur of the moment trip. Friday night I stayed at a friend's house. I offered to bring dinner--makes me look like a great houseguest--ulterior motive, of course, was to stay on program. So here's my motivational thought (actually this is more of a tip)--do whatever it takes to stay on program!!!!!!

Susan
300.248/150
uly 10, 2000
Old 04-30-2001, 07:13 PM   #21  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Default 28 DAYS!!

Evening Everybuddy

Hope everyone had a good day..After such a beautiful weekend, I sure didn't want to go back to the grind!

KIM Yes, I'm still using the chewing sticks
I can reccomend them first hand..I think they would work for food cravings too...I'll try that the next time I get a craving for maple nut goodies!
I really appreciated all your support during this, THANKS

MISSY You should have had that Dr "whittle" a little each time he lanced those boils..for that kind of money, your butt should be tiny!!
I can't imagine living in LA and being allergic to shrimp.
Now, you don't have a shellfish allergy do you? This is just the little "prick" under the skin kind of test? AND MY GAWD...allergic to PECANS???? IN THE SOUTH???? WHAT ABOUT THE PRALINES???? SHHHHH maybe Debbie doesn't know what they are..
I had that done and came up not being allergic to any kind of food that they tested me for....So, mine isn't bloat....it's pure fat! But I plan on getting rid of that by riding in the middle of the wagon...

SUSAN So, where did you go??? Did you see Bear Bryant anywhere?
Do you teach in summer school?

SOL Oh I wish you hadn't mentioned granny panties You're gonna get FROG started on the thongs again!!
I'm glad you had a good time on your trip..I can't imagine going to Gainsville and having a good time, but I'm sure there is more to see there besides Steve Spurrier!! LOL

LISA I know what you mean about Mondays and rushing...Seems like I start rushing from the moment I get out of bed all the way through the day...
Happy Birthday to your BABY...

RHONDA You can join me and Missy in the wagon..good eye view of everything going on up there..
Spend that OT on YOURSELF!!!

MARIE How long are you going to be gone on your trip? I envy you ..England has always been one of my "dream" visits..
Thanks to you too for your support on my smoke free journey...

NANCY {{{{WELCOME}}}}}} Glad you're here.
The WESTCOASTERS are mounting up...

CHRIS While I was beginning my smoke free experience, I didn't worry about what I was eating..I tried to cut back, but decided to concentrate on the smoking and worry about the "fat" when I was done. Well now that the worst is over, I'm buckling down and getting back in the wagon....holding on for dear life!

LARA So glad you're back and did well with your surgery.

Hello to everyone else...off to lurk...

WHERE IS BARB AND ANNETTE????

BOB
Old 04-30-2001, 09:02 PM   #22  

Happy Monday everyone!!!

Hope all is well with each of you. I had a good day. My eating continues to be right on track as far as what I eat. Quantitiy is another story. I did do a major number with the sweet potato chips this weekend. Let's just say that the bag I bought had six servings in it and between me and Paul it didn't last through the day yesterday. Yikes. I now know the time to buy them is definitely NOT the weekend!!! But other than that we have done really well. I did have to eat a couple of regular Lifesavers this weekend, because I was in a public situation and I could just feel the bad breath coming on. But I broke them in half and only ate half at a time. They didn't even taste good, but did help with the bb.

ROSALIE---I so agree with you about Hegi's writing. I think that for me she and Wally Lamb are the most talented writers right now as far as depth in your face serious stuff goes. I thought about that little blonde girl for months after finishing "Stones from the River." Couldn't you just envision her and her dad and that house then lived in??? Hey, I can't wait for you to get the am yoga tape. It's great. (AT least I think so.) Rodney's got quite the build too.

RHROO---Are you sure you're not related to our fearless leader with your no-dookie problems? Sorry to hear you are feeling poorly. Hearing what you said is a good reminder to all of us that eating off program gets you nowhere and sometimes nowhere with some ills to go with it. BTW, YES, YOU DO INSPIRE!!! YOU WITH NO BUTT WHO PEOPLE WORRY ABOUT THAT YOU ARE LOSING TOO MUCH WEIGHT!!!! Yes, you are keeping me on track. I love reading your posts!!! Keep going, girl!!!!

SOLSHINE---Thanks for sharing your goals. I could definitely relate to most of them.

FILLISE---How smart you are to bring the food so you could stay on plan. What a great idea!!! You definitely killed two birds with one stone on that one. Also I loved your tip for the day. I think it is very motivational and I will make that my mantra!!!! Whatever it takes . . . .

BOB---Congrats on Day 28. You are awesome. You are kicking RJReynolds butt and taking names!!!! Keep with it. Your motivational thought was quite gripping. While I haven't had stomach stapling, I have done my fair share of yoyo dieting. Thanks for sharing. You are in my thoughts!!

Well, gals, my Penguins are on trying to beat the snot out of the Sabres so I am off to veg in front of the tv. Hope Tuesday is simply a wonderful day for all us SB losers!!!!! Let's all be 100% legal tomorrow and see how great it feels!!! I promise no LifeSavers for me!!!! LOL
Take care.
Kim
185/171.5/139
Since January 2, 2001
Old 04-30-2001, 09:34 PM   #23  

Default Got some sad news a while ago

I'm sorry to dump on you'll, but I'm feeling really low right now & needed to share something. My mother is 73 years old, a diabetic, & a vitim of Alzhemier's disease. She has not been in good health for several years now. She still knows us, but some days are really bad & she can't finish a sentence. She struggles for words & thoughts are all jumbled together. She has been living with one of my younger sisters for a while now.

Well, about an hour ago I received a call from her & she told me that she is entering the nursing home. It seems that my sister went to check things out today & made arrangements. I've known this day would eventually come, but now that it's here, I'm heartbroken because my mother always said she would not like this. I know that it is difficult on my sister to care for her & I sure can't since I have to work, but it still does not lessen this pain that I'm feeling.

Sorry to be a downer, but just needed to share with someone.
Old 04-30-2001, 09:50 PM   #24  

Oh Melf, I'm so sorry to hear that. I can imagine what you must be going through. I'm sure your mother will receive the care she needs and you will be able to spend "quality time" with her without always having to worry about her care.

I know it was a difficult decision for your sister. I'm sure there are many families in your situation that are not able to give their loved ones the quality of care your mother will receive. Your family is in my prayers.

Lisa
Old 04-30-2001, 10:37 PM   #25  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Evening Everyone!

Had to wait in line for the computer-5 people wanting time on it makes it hard to get your turn on it.

ROSALIE, yes, now I understand a bit better about Max-why now is he revealing this to be true about the rice. I see from peeking at the board he's getting on there a bit lately-and that there was some more controversy there again-which usually is the reason he comes onto the board. Too bad they never addressed our questions we had-definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

RHROOOOO-need I say more?

LISA, thanks for the quote from Oprah's book-it says a lot in that small paragraph. Hope your daughter has a great b.day!! Don't worry, we'll find a different reason for that baby fat!!!

SOL, you had me ROFL with your goals! You are too funny!! Boy, can I relate to so many of them too.

FRUIT, wow, you are allergic to many things. Some I wouldn't mind being allergic to, but others are hard to stay away from. What happens when you eat shrimp, or anything else you listed? Too darned bad that I'm not allergic to chocolate, cookies and ice cream-then I'd be a stick for sure!!!

FILLISE, I ALWAYS take my food, even to families houses-never want to be an imposition with anyone's fridge and food-plus like you said, you stay on plan with no problems. I'm a great house guest!!!! At least I think so-ask BARBEE!

BOB, ummm, I do know what pralines are my dear!!!! Hey girl, 2 more days and we've got you on your 30 day milestone!!! How are you feeling?

MELF, sorry to hear about your Mom. Was this decision made soley by your sister without your knowlege? Are you okay with it? I'm sure it's not an easy decision for anyone to make and I surely don't want to ever have to be in that position, but I'm sure many say the same thing and find themselves having to make such a decision. I hope all works out for the best. Is she going to be far from you? You're in my thoughts!{{{{HUGS}}}}} Keep us informed.

I'm off to beddy-bye. I'll check in with you tomorrow. It's TUESDAY TIPS tomorrow and I have a few small ones to post. It's also CHAT NIGHT AT 9:15PM Please try to make the chat if you are able. I have a meeting at my son's school but hope to be home by that time-if I see the meeting is running late, I'll just have to excuse myself and tell them I have more important matters to attend to.

NITE!

Debbie
194/131.5/129
SB since 3/22/00
Old 04-30-2001, 10:51 PM   #26  

Melf - I was so sorry to hear about your mother having to go to the nursing home. This is a very tough decision for any family to make but sometimes it is for the best. She will receive the care and have the supervision that she needs. I am sure it was a hard decision for your sister to make but I can understand the stress she would have been going through with your mother's declining condition. Thanks for sharing. We are here for you and I will keep you in my thoughts.

Marie.
Old 04-30-2001, 11:21 PM   #27  
karen3000

Hi everyone -

Sorry I'm mostly lurking these days. I hope life gets back to a slower pace SOON!

VIV - Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday, dear V--V--I--I--V--V, happy birthday to YOU! Hope you have a wonderful birthday week!

MELF - I'm really sorry to hear the news about your mom. When this happens, suddenly everything turns upside down and you don't know how you are going to get through it. But you will. I have a similar situation with my mom, but she is in a facility for people with Alzheimers/dementia. Feel free to e-mail me if you want to talk about it.

Karen

Old 05-01-2001, 12:01 AM   #28  

Evening Ladies,

How is everyone?

Tuesday is the 1st and that will be my 2 month anniversary on SB. As many of you know, I only weigh in once a month. So tomorrow will be a big day for me.

I lost 15 pounds the first month (March) but I don't really expect to keep that pace up. I do know I've made progress because of the walking (up to 2.5 miles a day)and 100 oz. plus of water a day. I will also take my measurements Tuesday as well. I'm excited.

I'll keep everyone posted.

MELF: Sorry to hear of the news regarding your mother. I know it must pain your heart as well as your sister's. Being a caregiver is not an easy task. I'll be praying for you and your family.

SOL: love those goals.

FRUITLOUPE: Ouch! Allergic to shrimp? That's a killer!
YES, I'm a BIGTIME LSU FAN!!!!I'm obsessed with SEC football. Can't wait until September. As tired as I was Saturday from my trip, I went to the Spring scrimmage on Saturday! 12,000 people there for a purple and gold game. Unbelievable!! I do believe Saban has pulled it together for us. You mentioned you went to a float meeting. Do you belong to a Krewe?

Well, gotta run.
StarChaser
Old 05-01-2001, 07:48 AM   #29  

Happy May Day Everyone

The 1st of May is always special because it reminds me of my childhood. We use to make May baskets of flowers and take them to friends and families houses, leave them on the porch ring the bell and run. So since I can't do that today I want all of you to imagine me bringing you a basket of flowers. Have a great day!

Sparkle: Your motivation answer was incredible. I hope you know how far along you are in maturity, knowing your mental, spiritual and physical self. I'm 39 and am still searching for some of the ideas or concepts that you have probably found. It wasn't until 18 months ago that things clicked for me and I realized that I needed to be healthy in all 3 of those areas. I've had depression, migraines, mood swings etc. for most of my adult life. It wasn't until I took charge of those and started looking inward to my self and not others that I realized how to manage them. Notice I say manage them and not conquer. I will always have issues and problems but they are mine to deal with and no one elses fault or responsiblity. Keep it up.

BigO: Yes you do have the power to do this and we all do. I loved your saying.

Melf: I know how hard and difficult it is when a parent becomes ill and hard to care for. Your Mom will be well taken care of. As a mother I would want my children to help me but not be a burden to them. So know in your heart that your Mother understands and would want you to be happy. That is all a Mother truly wants out of life. Your sister will need your support in this too. Remember we are here for you.

Anna
222/135/140
Old 05-01-2001, 08:33 AM   #30  
aka Zippy LiverFace

I’m soooo mad!! I have been getting my big ole butt-ocks out of bed at 4:15 nearly every morning to be able to come to work and have the gym all to myself and have my work-out over as soon as possible in the day. I have my own little routine as I’m sure you all do too…..WELL, this morning some dude was on MY treadmill blaring Howard Stern (whom I can’t stand) this morning. HOW DARE HE?? I got on the OTHER treadmill and noticed he had already been on for 45 minutes - so he was there 30 minutes BEFORE I even got there - HE’S INSANE!! I know it’s a public gym, but I don’t like to share (I don’t play well with others, either) I remember seeing him there on a Saturday when I first started. Vince had come up there with me to see what was available and to help me with a schedule/routine to maximize the little equipment they have. Okay, venting over --- COME ON COLBY --- Momma needs a membership to GATORGAL's gym!!

MISSY - OMG, Bless your heart!! I can't imagine being allergic to most of those things. They are most of my favorites! It is nice to have answers, though. I'm sure that helps calm the nerves.

BOB - LOL!! We ONLY went to the race track in Gainesville. We DID go get pictures of the football stadium and the baseball stands at USC in Columbia (tradition my dad started). Dudy Noble Field where Miss. State plays baseball is one thing we totally blow other schools away with so it's nice to get to snicker at other's stands. CONGRATS on staying smoke-free!! Tomorrow will be ONE MONTH!! That is a MAJOR accomplishment!!! Thanks for sharing your challenges, too. It really helps.

MARIE - Have a great time on your trip!! My mom and dad left last night for 2 weeks in England. If you happen to meet a loud very southern couple where the woman talks all the time ask them if they are Sonya's parents from Mississippi. My mom will be talking to everyone around her. They always come home from trips with an address book full of new friends.

MELF - I'm sorry to hear about your mom. The nursing homes here for Alzheimers patients are very nice and they do special things for them. I'm sure your sister found the best one she could and I'll believe with you that the transition is as smooth as possible. It's so hard to watch our parents/grandparents age and become more dependent on others.

STAR - Looking forward to good news on your weigh-in! I'm sure you will have great numbers to share with us.

CHRIS - I was reflecting on your post last night and remembered vividly my "dating days" and 3 seemed to be my magic number. I couldn't ever get to the 3rd date with anyone. My best friend and I would laugh after every 2nd date one of us had and bet whether there would be that elusive 3rd date. It made it more like a game at that point and that's when I started relaxing more and just having fun since I wasn't going to see him again (according to my pattern). That's when I really started having the best dates, too - even if it was only going to be 2 dates with each guy.

Tuesday Tips

Basil(since I started my herb garden this week-end):
Did you know that in addition to their abilities to flavor our foods, certain spices have some medicinal effects as well? For example, basil has antispasmodic properties, and is used for treating flatulence and stomach upset. Because its taste triggers saliva production, this spice also enables us to digest our foods more effectively.

You can easily grow your own basil, which not only helps to purify the air, it also helps to keep away insects, who hate its pungent scent. Buy your plants from a nursery or supermarket, since it's easier to get them to grow than trying to start a plant from seed.

Insoluble Fiber
There are two basic fiber types: soluble and insoluble. Insoluble fiber helps move food and digestive by-products through the large intestine (colon) and out of the body. The benefit is that the faster that food and food by-products travel through the digestive tract, the less time there is for potential cancer-causing substances to take hold. Some examples of insoluble fiber are the bran in grains, fruit pulp, and vegetable skins.

Only soluble fiber -- found in a wide variety of foods, including apples, oats, dried beans, and green vegetables -- seems to have the ability to lower serum cholesterol levels. The way soluble fiber acts on cholesterol is not yet fully understood.

It's important to note that all fruits, vegetables, and grains provide some fiber. To get a good daily dose (25 to 30 grams), eat oatmeal, bran cereal, or whole-grain bread, and plenty of fruits, vegetables, and dried beans. High fiber foods are those with at least two grams of fiber per serving. If much of your diet consists of healthy complex carbohydrates, you should easily fulfill the recommended daily minimum of 25 grams.

I get a daily tip from http://www.emazing.com every day in several categories. These tips came from them.
Closed Thread