Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Old 09-11-2004, 02:35 PM   #61  

Default 3 Years Ago

Watched a doucmentary last night on HBO about the attacks. Brought it all back like it was that day. Cried like a baby. And I want to put the flag out, but I can't get the danged flag holder to stay in the wall - this has been going on for three years and I have made many holes in my house but the holder keeps coming loose when the weight of the flag gets on it. So maybe I'll just plant the flag in the lawn near the front walk.

Nat - my immediate goal is 15 pounds, my long term probably achievable goal is 100 pounds, and my "omigod this is a dream" goal is 165 pounds gone off of my poor feet and ankles. But I will be deliriously happy with anything 100 or over.

Sorry to hear of everyone's health woes, I was hoping that once I stuck to the plan I would never have aches or pains again. Guess I should have gone on the turn-back-time diet.

Monet - Geez I hate the Automotive Gremlins. For me that is stress city, I hope they decide to move on and away from your vehicles soon.

Blessings to All - Ruby
therubyslippers!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 02:51 PM   #62  

Default Sorry, more questions

Can someone enlighten me about sweeteners:

fructose - the only kind I can find is granular fructose made from corn syrup. this is not legal, correct? What kind do you all use, type or brand name?

agave syrup - I can find light and dark, what's the difference? About how much would equal 1 teaspoon of sugar?

I have to buy these things online, so I would like to get it right the first time. Thanks -Ruby
therubyslippers!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 03:39 PM   #63  

Afternoon...

I think I might have caught a bit of Jess's cold because I feel tired for some reasons and no appetite. Yesterday night, a friend called us at 3 am and dh picked up the phone. She was crying and dumping everything on dh. Usually it would be me but since dh picked up the phone he just hanged on to it. This friend of mine really confused me and dh a lot. I really do not know to believe her stories or not. At one time, I really believed everything she said and went to court for her custody case. I know I cannot discussed her issues here but she really stressed me out a lot. Sometimes I avoided her calls especially when it was late at night because I knew that she would go on and on the same thing for a long time and not listening to what I have to say anyway. Yesterday's news wasn't pleasant and dh said he didn't believe her and he is going to step in and find out the truth since there is a little 4 year old involved. I feel sorry for her and yet can't help feeling so stress about dealing with her. Prayers, prayers!

Today eating was okay but not enough veges. So far :

Breakfast : A fried egg, cheese and sauteed spinach sandwich. Water.

No snack.

Lunch : Spaghetti and meatballs. No salad.

Snack : Would be fruit salad.

Dinner : Have no idea yet.

Some replies :

RUBY : Welcome !! Glad you are here.

1) I agree that there is no need to buy the new SB book. It has the same concept except the added sugar rule is now 5 gram per serving and we can have carrots in moderation. If you really need to get the book, check ebay or amazon.com for cheap used book. Better yet, borrow from the library.

2) Eating fruits alone has 2 advantages according to SB book. For people who have ingestion problem, eating fruit alone will solve that problem. If fruits are eating with food, the fruits will sit in your tummy longer and since fruits are acidic, it might give you heartburn etc. The second reason is, fruits when eaten alone does not stimulate the production of insulin as much as when eaten with another "carb". I believe protein is fine and actually a good idea to eat your fruits (or starch) with a protein. That will slow down the absorption of the carbs.

3) I am not sure about the urination part as I never really experience a change. I have always have a good amount of water from time to time. Also, I drink a small amount of water from time to time instead a lot at one sitting since it will go right thru me...lol.

4) Are you talking about brown rice pasta? I believe it has a high GI but to be sure, I need to do a search in Yahoo. Can you eat soy pasta? I seen them being sold in WalMart. Try www.mendosa.com for list of GI food.

Take your time in reading the book and you will have to go back to re-read it from time to time and you will be surprised the things that you missed the first time or second time...lol. WTG on the 3 1/2 lbs loss!! You are doing great! As for your menu, Pancho gave you some great advice. Look for Agave syrup and you will love it. Glad you finally "gotta go, gotta go"...LOL.

PANCHO : Glad you found some good bargains at the commissary. Did you take pic of Britt without her front tooth..lol? You can use that to embarass her when she grew older or can be a weapon for you to use too...lol. Sorry to hear about your friend's baby condition. I am glad she has the support of her friends. My dr has always take a sample of my stool at every annual check-up. He said, since I am here, might as well. He thinks checking for colon cancer is important enough to check it every year. I really like his dedication to his patients. Because of his cautiousness, he detected my pre-diabetic condition. My fasting blood sugar wasn't sky high, it was 99 and still within a non-diabetic range but he just wanted to be sure so he tested me further. Without him, I won't be here He also return his patient's calls, sometime too fast...lol. He spends a great deal of time explaining anything to me if I asked him any questions. I am so fortunate to have found him...by accident...lol. Anyway, he did mention hemorrhoid (sp?) as well. He said it gave him as excuse to send me for further check-up. Yep, looks like Destin is out of the pic. We have not cancel our accomodations yet but will see what happens as we get to next week. I really want to go somewhere else if Destin couldn't be our choice. Will see..thanks for asking.

JACK-K : Hope you get some R & R this weekend.

MELF : {{{hugs}}} Hey, keep posting, that really helps me a lot.

LAUREN : Sounds like a a fun-filled day for you. Enjoy! Wow, you are more daring than I am. Baking intimidate me but I am in the process of learning how to bake. Glad your family enjoyed the WW biscuits. You will lose that 10 to 15 lbs one way or another. I have lost more than I thought I will. I am so pleased with SB.

MONET : Wow, you had a busy day with the church, the car etc. Reading your next week's schedule exhaust me. Yes, you need a break!! WTG on the steps and the weight loss!! That is impressive. Keep it up.

Alright, got to go..will check back later!

Julia

TEENSY : I can feel your pain from your description. Ouch! Please don't endure the pain, at least get check out to rule out any serious condition. If it is just some muscle strain, then you can decide if you want to endure it or take some pain reliever.
kengjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 05:20 PM   #64  

It's hot here today. I just finished mopping the floors and decided it's time to take a break.

RUBY : I believe that fructose that is made of corn syrup is not legal. It is very hard to find fructose that is made from fruits. Agave is definitely a good option since it is pretty easy to find. Pancho recently tried another natural sweetener called, Slim Sweet which is made of a fruit called, Lo Han, which the chinese used a lot in their consumption. You can definitely do a search online to read more about it. I used only light Agave syrup since it is more neutral in taste. I have yet to try the dark one but a good comparison for the dark one is "molasses". For general use, I would suggest light Agave but if you need something rich like molasses, you can use the dark one. I love t Agave syrup not just for its taste but for the GI which is 11. Agave syrup is 25% sweeter than table sugar, so 3/4 tsp for 1 tsp of regular sugar? I usually just taste as I go instead of measuring Oh, not all Agave is created equal. Agave from Blue Agave has 90% of fructose and a GI of 11 (one of the brands is Sweet Cactus Farm) while Agave syrup derived from Wild Agave (few different wild Agave species) have only 70% fructose and have a GI of 46 (one of the brands is, Madhava Honey, Aunt Patty's etc). So, do check on that.

Hope this helps.

Julia
kengjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 09:10 PM   #65  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Got hooked on the GA-SOUTH CAROLINA football game, soI'm behind in my movies, but I did watcj two of them this afternoon, and unfotunately.....
THEY BOTH GET THE TONGUE!!!

THE LADY KILLERS
SOUL PLANE

I'm starting the other two and I'll let y'all know

Hope everyone is having a gooe weekend...I've been keepng a close watch on the next storm...I use www.noaa.org for my updates....

See y'll later!

BOB
THE BIG ORANGE BABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 10:06 PM   #66  

Gosh, Thanks Bob for telling me who won that football game! How am I supposed to know how the Dawgs are doing if you don't tell me? And here I thought you were my friend!

Long day for me...we shopped for stuff for tomorrow and then went to lunch. I did not do too badly, even though I ate some chips. (it was a Mexican restaurant) I had a poblano chili relleno, beans, guacamole salad and one taco. I did not feel hungry at dinner, so I ate a couple Ak Mak crackers with cheese. Breakfast was eggs benedict. Oh, and I had a handful of pistachio biscotti thins with some hot tea. They were not legal, so I did not do great on the OP thing today, but overall, I am not too disappointed. I am better than I was...so that is encouraging. And I have dropped a couple pounds...

Going to go read for a while. Tomorrow is going to be busy and I need some quiet down time. Steps today were not good...around 5400. I need to find ways to increase them. Like going for a walk....
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 12:32 PM   #67  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Good morning

It's been a pretty good uneventful weekend. The scales were kind to me this morning. I hope it will stay there till Wed. It's been a loooooooooong time since I've seen 152.

Monet....All your car woes sound like something out of a movie. What a rough evening. WTG on the scales being down.

Jack-K...I sure hope the swelling goes down soon. (((((hugzzz)))))))

Poncho...glad you are feeling better. Sorry your little one is still down.

Julia...praying you find out the truth and are released from all the stress of your friends woes.

Ruby...Awesome on the weight loss. You will get to your goals just hang in there and reach for them.

Lauren..woo hoo on the biscuits! If you have leftovers you can make ham and cheese biscuits.

Bob...hope the next two movies are better.

Melf...hang in there.

Heart...how are you doing this weekend?

Deb...Gator...Sabrina ((hugzz))

Sef....how are you?

Yellow, Trish, Toni, JackieO, Beth...if you happend to peek in....((((hugzzz))))

Susan...are you all rested up from your trip?

Missy...how are you doing?

Rosalie....how are you and those grandbabies? Are you off working again?

Gotta scoot my tummy thinks it's starving.

Colleen...praying for your back. ((hugzz))

Love and hug,
Crystle

235/152/140
CountryMom4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:04 PM   #68  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

MONET....give me a break...it's been a whole year...my mind is more feeble than it was then....I'll try to remember next week!

BOB
THE BIG ORANGE BABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 02:27 PM   #69  

Half way through the busy day. I am taking a little breather between the morning and evening dinners. Did roses for the tables and it looked really nice. Came home and ate some scrambled eggs, and an English muffin (ww of course) Then I screwed up by eating a few thin biscottis.

BOB: No break for you, woman! I had to go look it up myself! At least it was GOOD news!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 05:32 PM   #70  
Little Engine That Could

Monet--The dawgs won, which is to be expected because SC does not know how to win. They have lost for so long that they just clutch up and figure out a way to blow it.

We had a nice time in Gainesville. It started thundering during the 2nd half of the game, and they delayed the gamebeccausse lightening was in the area. So we left and went and looked at a house there for sale. Cute house, with a FABULous yard, but no garage. For $350 K it should have a garage.

Got lots of walking in, but eating was mediocre. It is a new week tomorrow and we think the storm Ivan is gonna miss us. So I can suck it up and start eating right.
GatorGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 07:05 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Hey, guys. Just stopping in for a quick post...have to start supper soon. I'm at 165 this morning. Still up 3 pounds from my low last week. Friday, my eating was bad. I had a LC shake for BF and didn't eat again until supper where I did some serious damage at Lapinata. I ate ALOT of chips, tortillas, AND afterwards I had a Sonic banana fudge sundae. Anyway, eating was pretty good yesterday except for too much salt(hot dogs and sausage). Today has been pretty good as well. I had a LC shake for bf, then had cantaloupe and LC yogurt. Had an awesome salad for lunch. It was my tuna salad, but I had raw brocolli, cauliflower, green onions, tomato, cheese, cukes, tuna, and Ranch dressing. Really good. I'm still debating on supper right now. But it will be legal. Tomorrow I have to go to Jackson for Boogie's PC appt. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. PANCHO- How was the shower? I wonder why the odds are so low for the baby? Ours were ALOT higher. I've always said that if it isn't 100% in your favor, then who cares. But those odds don't sound right. I believe ours were in the 80's, not 33%. Then they improved with each surgery. Alright, I gotta figure out what to cook, the kids are buggin'.
heartmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:33 PM   #72  

Hello gang-- just a quick check in. I went into the emergency room yesterday to have them check things out. They took a urine sample, and then some X-rays. Sample was clear and they couldn't see anything wrong with the "bone" in my X-rays. So they prescribed Valuim for the muscle realaxing and Hydrocodone for the pain. It hasn't seemed to help any and I need to make a follow up appointment in the morning with my Dr. Will keep you informed. I never knew sitting or trying to sleep could be so uncomfortable. I don't think pulling a muscle would affect both legs like it has.....or maybe it would, I just know that it hurts like h*ll when I move.

Will let you all know what I find out tomorrow.
Teensybean is offline   Reply With Quote