Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: We'd like to see how many people would be interested in meeting in Las Vegas!
September would be great! 0 0%
October would be better! 5 16.67%
Count me in! I'll be there, just say the date! 2 6.67%
Possibly-but I'm not sure at this time. It's too early to say. 13 43.33%
Sorry, I have no interest. 10 33.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2001, 08:27 AM   #91  

Good Morning Everyone.

I have read all the posts WoW! Everyone is really busy. I am glad to see that even though we all have been struggling a bit that we remain motivated and haven't really raided the cookie cupboard.

I don't have tons of time this morning to post a long one.

Things are good and I have remained on the program. I got tons of walking in yesterday. I am scale aholic, so I am really trying to only weigh myself on Wednesdays. I get so frustrated when the scale goes up and down daily. I mean really Deb how cah you can 3.5 pounds in a couple of days when you have not cheated.!?
I figure it is a conspiracy from the people who manufacture the scale!

Anway keep motivated everyone and I will check in later when I have more time

190/176/165
Old 04-26-2001, 09:24 AM   #92  

Good morning everyone

Rhroo - I'm doing the HAPPY DANCE for you. That 60 lbs loss is awesome. I just new you could do it. This should really encourage you to keep op. Only five to go WOW!!!!!!!!!

Frog - Have a good time at the beach and let's know what spewer gets up to.

Lisa - Congrats on the 3 lb loss. It sounds like Ross had a good game the other night. Glad to hear his blood tests came back O.K. I've just started drinking green tea. I started with Tetley's Earl Gray green tea which was quite good. I prefer it with lemon added, and I don't add sweetener. I tried Celestial Seasonings yesterday and that tasted fine with nothing added. The taste was pleasant enough without needing to add lemon.

Deb - Thanks for the suggestion of posting my menu. I have been writing things down for the last couple of weeks so I will try and get it posted later to-day and maybe get some feedback.

I just tried the CELESTIAL SEASONINGS AUTHENTIC green tea yesterday and it tastes much better than any other I have tasted. I was looking for the flavored varieties but they were all herb teas and not green teas. Does any one know if Celestial makes flavored green teas?

Sorry I still haven't responded to everyone but I am thinking of you all and will get there eventually.

Have to run as I want to go for a swim and I only have an hour before the session finishes.

Will check in again later.

Have a good SB day everyone.
Old 04-26-2001, 10:01 AM   #93  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

ME again-just cooling down and decided to get in a "quickie"

Okay, I got in my 4.5 miles and THEN I came home and did 5 segments of an old Jane Fonda Step Aerobics tape, so I can now say, I did SOMETHING different.

Going to take Lauren out today-it's take your daughter to work day. We're going by Starbucks to see Eli just so she can say she went, but otherwise, it's the only day I allow her to stay home from school, so it doesn't affect her perfect attendance (since kindergarten).

GARDEN, I have learned that the scales can easily go up and down as much as 4lbs up at times. That's one reason I have kept daily track of my weight for almost the past year, so I can see these peaks and valley's on the chart and understand that this is something that just happens and isn't a result of my cheating with anything. It helps me stay focused, even though I may moan and groan-as I know from the past that the scale will eventually go back down. Yes, I will admit, I too am a scaleaholic!

ROSALIE, I do believe that I have some CC green tea with flavoring, if I'm not mistaken. Will have to check and let you know for sure.

Gotta run-will check in later.

Debbie
194/134/129
Old 04-26-2001, 10:36 AM   #94  
Goddess

Default Good Thursday Morning!

What a week! What a bunch of losers!

I'm down another pound this morning--so that makes 52 total! I'm lovin this!

Kim and everyone else--thanks for your kind words--but really it is everyone here keeps me so upbeat about this! I have come to rely on everyone here for a daily dose of optimism and reinforcement!

Frog--I'd love to meet you over the Memorial Day weekend!!! I don't mind driving to Columbus at all--since that is usually when I have to go to do any serious shopping. I make that drive all the time. I'll send you an email with phone number and all that stuff!

Rhoo--61 pounds!!!!!!! Only 5 till Goal--WOOOOOO HOOOOOO! You go girl--I'm right on your heels!

Chris--Last week I posted a recipe for oven "fried" chicken on the recipe board. It's adapted from an old Weight Watchers recipe. The coating is made with non-fat dry milk and dry seasonings (WW or I use G. Washington's Golden seasoning). It is easy and pretty tasty. My coffee consuption hasn't seemed to affect me so far, but I am cutting back on the diet soda. After my morning coffee I am drinking water all day and a cup of green tea with dinner. Maybe we should change our name to the "green tea fan club!"

Star--Glad to have you back! You were missed and I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures. Where in Alabama were you?

Lisa--Way to go 3 lbs! WOOOOOO HOOOOO to you TOOOO!

Everyone else--there have been so many posts in the last day that it is hard to respond to everyone. I hope everyone has a wonder and OP day!

Susan
300/248/150
JUly 10, 2000
Old 04-26-2001, 10:52 AM   #95  
viv

Hi Ladies...
Just another quick pop in - I have been overwhelmed trying to make arrangements for CA (without any set dates, not easy) and trying to exploit my hotel connections to get a decent rate....not easy either. Right now there is a poss I may be away on mother's day which is really upsetting to me....altho I would be with MY mother...so just more conflict.

I do have a request!!!!!
And I need you to email me if you have an answer!
[email protected]
This is it: Anyone read Bridget Jones' Diary and the sequel? Well, I loved those books - they were unusual and kept me laughing and feeling good. For the trip, I want to take some books (since I will be in transit for 8 hours, alone....) that make me feel good too (nothing preachy). I don't want to deal with Barba Kingsolver-type downer/upper books...so....
ANYONE READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY? Please let me know via email, I'd really appreciate it.

Hope everyone is taking advantage of the spring weather and GETTING OUT and exercising. I've done my share - program wise, again, meals are 100% but the past two days I have been falling prey to instant gratification - 4 cookies at a friend's house, and yesterday, some chocolate at home. Darn. My goal now is to just maintain through this trip and then get back OP to lose....

Thank you for all the good wishes and keep them coming. When this is behind me I'll be bakc on the thread at my usual capacity, I hope.

Hugs,
Viv
Old 04-26-2001, 12:55 PM   #96  

Hi again everyone

I'm still having trouble losing and Debbie suggested I post my menus. Here's a sampling of my daily menus and I would welcome any comments and suggestions.
A.M Orange
B. Oat bran cereal with blueberries, 7 oz 2% milk
L. Trout (6 oz), mixed veggies (peas, cauliflower, broccoli)
Sn. Salad (lettuce and raw carrots)
Fruit Cocktail 1/2 cup
D. Lentil chili (1 1/2 cups), 3/4 c. brown rice
Sn. 2 Digestive cookies

A.M. Orange
B. Bacon, 2 fried eggs
L. 1 Slice rye bread, ham slices, coleslaw, fruit spread
D. 2 Salmon patties (made with sweet potato), mixed veg (sprouts, cauliflower) with parsley sauce
7 Triscuits with cheese and fruit spread
Apple

B. Bacon, ham, 2 fried eggs, tomato
L. Lentil veggie mix with pita bread, cheese, lettuce, 1/2 cup fruit cocktail
D. Steak (about 6 oz), 1/2 c. brown beans, cauliflower, 1/2 cup basmati rice
Sn. Orange, small piece cheese, 1 piece chocolate
7 oz 2% milk

A.M 1/2 orange
B. Oatmeal, 3 oz 2% milk (on oatmeal and in coffee)
L. 2 egg omelette with zucchini and cheese, 7 oz 2% milk
Sn. Apple
D. Roast chicken,broccoli, green salad, 3/4 cup squash, 1/2 cup brown rice
Sn. 7 oz. 2% milk, 8 Triscuits with cheese and fruit spread

B. Oatmeal, blueberries, 3 oz 2% milk
L. Toasted BLT on SGWW with cheese
Sn. Grapes, 4 triscuits, apple
D. Vegetable lasagna (whole wheat), coleslaw, ww bun
Sn. 7 oz 2% milk

B. 2 eggs, bacon and tomato, 1 slice rye bread with fruit spread
L. Salmon patties, salad, 1/2 cup fruit cocktail, 7 ozs 2% milk
Sn. 1 slice rye bread with fruit spread, 1/4 cup cashews
D Roast beef, brussels sprouts, 3/4 cup brown rice
Sn. 7 ozs milk

I usually have one cup of coffee per day with cream (from restaurant). Mainly on the way to work in the morning. During the day I will have one or two cups of instant coffee with a small amount of 2% milk added. I also try to drink lots of water but I do better with this when I am at home. I have some difficulty getting in the water when I am working. I have just started drinking Green Tea so hopefully I can eliminate some of the coffee/milk.

I was feeling very stiff this morning from the badminton last night. I played longer than usual as there were not as many people there so didn't have to wait around between games. It was fun but I felt it this morning in the stiff, tired muscles. I went for a swim this morning and that loosened things up a bit. Feeling almost back to normal now.

I'm going to be busy the rest of the day planning my trip to England. I was going to book some time ago but my brother (who I will be visiting) was having some problems. He just found out he had cancer of the bladder. He has had it removed and was waiting for the results to see what type it was. He just heard to-day that it was superficial so no further treatment is required at this time. He will just have to have it checked every 3 months as it is likely to come back but it is treatable. That was a relief to everyone and so now I can look forward to planning my visit. I'll probably go sometime in June.

Have a good SB day everyone.

Marie.
Old 04-26-2001, 02:34 PM   #97  

Hi Everyone

Things are going good for me. Been very busy but that is a constant in my life!

Deb: The all veggie or protein day is suppose to make you feel that way. It makes you not want to eat! I've done it several times and seen a drop right after that. But I also was like you as I neared my goal I didn't want to change anything for fear it would mess me up.

Yes I have ventured out and eaten some things not on this WOE. Day to day I stick to this WOE religously but on special occassions I have eaten some things off plan. Mainly a little pop corn, garlic bread at Olive Garden, beer, a little corn, and a taste of baked potato. However, I just can't eat anything sweet. I avoid candy and sweet desserts. Even a taste makes me feel bad so I just don't do that. I also fear that if I let myself have the sweets I will sabotage everything I have done and not be able to get back on track. On maintenace I have been eating around 2100-2200 calories. These past couple of weeks I've been trying to drop 5 pounds more so I have kept the cals to 1800-1900. I still excercise almost everyday. I walk and do aerobics tapes.

As I've said before, there is almost an anti climatic feeling when you hit goal. Every morning you get up and the scale is the same. You have the same feelings that you are having right now that you are stalled. Also, I have noticed that I fluctuate significantly almost every day on the scale. Yesterday I hopped on the scale and it said 136. Today, it said 139. Tomorrow it could say 141 or 136. It really doesn't matter what I have eaten or done. I think that is normal and is just the ebb and flow of our bodily fluids. I haven't been able to pick out a pattern or blame it on anything...not even hormones.

I went to the doctor for my annual and I mentioned that I would like to lose 5 more pounds. She said that your body will stop losing at it's ideal weight and based on my measurements I was there. I complained about my stomach and she said no matter how much I lost or how many excercises I did that the only way to fix it would be a tummy tuck!

The other thing that happens is your friends who have been supportive start to say things like...you can eat this now that you have lost all this weight. They don't get it that if I eat wrong I will put it back on.

The funniest thing that happened to me is that several friends told me that the "talk" in the communtiy is I was anorexic. Well if you could see me and know...someone that is 5'5", big boned and weighs between 136-140 and wears a size 12 is not anorexic. It also means that instead of believing I was together enough mentally to make a major change in my life that people believe you have a problem if you lose weight. It really is ironic!

To everyone else: You are doing great!

Anna
222/139/140
Old 04-26-2001, 02:41 PM   #98  

Hello everyone!

Today is another beautiful day! Not too hot, sunny.....I love spring weather in Alabama, but unfortunately, it doesn't last long....it will be hot as **** before you know it!!

I've been able to get a lot of walking in this week. My oldest sister (I'm the "baby".....I have 2 sisters and a brother, 10 - 14 years older than me) lives in the same neighborhood and is wonderful about getting me out and walking. I feel soooo good after I exercise, but sometimes have a hard time getting myself motivated to do it unless I have a push.

I gave Ross his chemo shot last night w/out any problems. It's getting easier and easier to do, and I didn't have that sick feeling afterwards either. I'm going on a field trip with his class tomorrow......it will be nice to take a "fun trip" w/him....usually our trips involve doctors and hospitals!

IDBLOND: Sorry to hear your family is sick. It's no fun when you continue to pass around those "bugs"!

RHROO: WooHoo! Size 8's!! I can't wait to be able to actually buy something that I like, not just because it fits.

GARDENGIRL: I think I was born a size 10, too!

CATLOVER: I tried to play golf when I was younger. My father is a big golf fan and was determined to teach me. After I repeatedly swung and missed the ball and pounded my club on the ground, he gave up! He now is teaching Ross to play, and he has a much better tempermant for the game than I ever did!!

FILLISE: I can't tell you how much your kind words about what I'm doing to help Ross become healthier meant. (((HUGS))) I'm usually a "glass half full" type of person, but sometimes I throw a little pity party in my honor.....I was having one of those days. Your post really helped me put things back in perspective. Congrats on the loss! That is a major accomplishment you should be very proud of! I was also proud of our Auburn guys, but think we will miss them a lot come fall!

DEBBIE: Hang in there....you know that this temporary gain is just that....TEMPORARY! You give such wonderful advice on this board....apply some of that to yourself and stay with it!

BEACH: I'm so impressed with your 86 lb loss!! That is AWESOME!

QUILTER: I loved your yoga story! I wish there was a class offered here that I could try...... I could really use some relaxation! Maybe I'll look into one of the tapes....anything you would recommend?

KAREN: Home alone! I'm sure you and the hubby can find something to do!

FROG: I want to go to the beach!!! My sisters and I are planning a long weekend in May....I can't wait!

SPARKLE: Hope you have a better day! Sounds like one of those "when it rains, it pours" kind of a day!!

ROSALIE: I'm probably too new to this to be giving out any advice, but what about switching from the 2% milk to skim milk? I know some people hate it, but I personally love it. I'm a milk person, too!

Okay, I'm sure I've left someone out, so hello to all of you!

Have a great SB day!

Lisa
215/204/140
Old 04-26-2001, 05:37 PM   #99  

Default menus, menus, menus

I've been lurking and am so very excited at the wonderful progress you all are making. I read the sugar buster book, it seems there are too too many carbs in sample menu listed in the book since I have to lose about 55 lbs to pass as "chubby" lol
Anyway, if anyone can send me some breakfast, lunch, and dinner samples I'd be sooooooooo greatful. thanks much. happy (my email address is [email protected]) thanks again and keep up the great losses. You all have such wonderful spirit.
Old 04-26-2001, 06:35 PM   #100  
Everyday angel

Hi ladies! Well! I worked all morning long without being distracted, got lots of stuff done. Yippee! For lunch I have tabouli salad and a little bit of chicken, with fresh strawberries...they are still $3.99 a quart but were $5.99 a week ago, so time for a little splurge.

Debbie, yep I need to get me an oil mister. Saw a nice one at Costco...I’ve been using lots of olive oil lately and that would be a good way to cut down on the quantity. I can think of lots of things I could “oven-fry!” (Cheese sticks...yum)

Lauren, who has never missed a day of school since kindergarten, really served as my INSPIRATION this morning. I was feeling tired and pissy because of my fall yesterday and was really considering calling in sick. But I told myself that was NOT AN OPTION and got dressed...but was still hemming and hawing. So after reading your post not only did I get to work on time but had a very productive morning as well.

From what I remember of Jane Fonda she’s pretty intense! So it sounds like you got quite a bit of exercise today!

Susan, awesome for you on the 52 pound loss...so far. I will check out your “fried” chicken recipe.

Marie, you food intake looks pretty good. Varied and balanced. Maybe you can keep a big bottle/thermos on your desk for water. What is your exercise schedule like?

Anna, thanks for your insights on maintenance, a scary thing for me although that’s irrational. You are so right, we don’t stop eating this way just because we have hit goal. And what you said about the scale fluctuating reassured me: that it’s just normal. The original conversation didn’t register with me but I don’t see anything wrong with cutting out carbs for just one day to shake things up.

Re anorexic: isn’t it amazing what people will say? Here you are at a healthy, sane weight and having accomplished something very few people are able to do: get to goal and stay there. It’s sad that people have to attempt to downgrade your amazing accomplishment by assuming you have a new eating disorder. But it’s funny too and sounds like you have the right attitude: just laugh it off.

Lisa, good luck with the walking. It’s great that your sisters are supportive. Soon it will get to be a habit, but getting started is certainly not easy!

Happywisdom, hi! I must admit, that when I first started posting here I had no intention of “following” any “diet plan.” (Nobody tells me what to do!) But although it took some time I’m totally hooked on the sugar-free way of life!

Now, I’m feeling a little bit better physically but still very stiff in the shoulders, back and even my chest (solar plexus?). Last night after some cooking (and a bit too much eating, but legal) I was lying on the floor watching TV, with a heating pad...bleh. Well, this was my worst fall ever. I guess even getting hit by a car (my worst fear) couldn’t be much worse! So there is some benefit to it. But meanwhile I haven’t been able to do my runs and I was supposed to be able to do 3 miles in 30 minutes by tomorrow. Grouchy. Majorly grouchy.

Okay gotta go!

Hugs,

Chris
Old 04-26-2001, 08:21 PM   #101  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Default 24 DAYS!!!

EVENING ALL YOU LOSERS!!!

Watching SURVIVOR so this will be a quick one

HAPPYWISDOM {{{{{{WELCOME}}}}}}}

We will be happy to help you on your journey, but we would rather you participate on the board. We can
give you suggestions , you can check the recipe board,
but the key to this WOE......P A R T I C I P A T I O N!!!
If you have questions????? ASK AWAY.....
We're glad you're here.....

BOB
Old 04-26-2001, 08:44 PM   #102  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Default OH MY GAWD!!!

I DID NOT GET THIS EMOTIONAL WITH THE FIRST SURVIVOR!!!

Here I am again....BAWLING LIKE A BABY!!!!

I MISS RODGER
Old 04-26-2001, 09:37 PM   #103  
Little Engine That Could

Hi all you sugar busters! I've been lurking a little bit lately, rather than posting. I've been majorly busy and just had time to read one page at a sitting. As I've said, my computer loads the pages really slowly, and sometimes (usually about once each week) I only get a partial page with the bottom just blank.

Have been preparing for the last big training meeting before the big event in the middle of May. This time I am preparing lunch for all 33 other team members. Easy menu, but when you fix for more than 4 it is harder than normal.

Have a few other irons in the fire, and so have not had much free time. Have been walking on the TM every other day. I'm doing 2 miles now at 3.5 mph. Soon I'll get faster. Still lift weights twice a week. Doing so so on the food. We've been eating out a bit and that makes it harder.

Congratulations on the losses, and a big congratulations to Big Orange for giving up the cancer sticks. We knew you could do it, BOB.

My husband's birthday was Tuesday. We stayed home and fixed lamb on the grill. But our son is taking us out to an italian restaurant tomorrow night in honor of the occasion. Any suggestions?

Have a great Friday.
Old 04-26-2001, 09:37 PM   #104  

Default Hello to Everyone!

Well, it's Thursday night and I'm just now reporting in for the day. I haven't read today's posts, but promise to catch up tomorrow since it's my day off. Today was a good day. Weighed in this morning at 170. While part of me is happy for the loss, part of me is saying why couldn't it have been yesterday. Can't believe I'm so ungrateful for any loss. Actually, I'm going to work on this pound for the rest of the week and make sure it doesn't come back onto my backside for next Wednesday. I have 6 more days to give it the heave ho.

Did my morning yoga and then did 30 minutes on the TM tonight after work and before supper. (Am still contemplating the evening yoga.) Was only shooting for 28 minutes, but went ahead and rounded up. May not sound like a lot for some of you, but it's huge for me. Managed to run a wee bit during this TM time. Three different times at about 45 seconds or less each time. That's kind of embarrassing to say that I can only run that long before gasping and feeling like I shall fall faint or whatever. Anyways, my short-term goal is to get three strong minutes of running before moving up.

Sorry I cannot respond to anyone, since I've had no time to read. Must sacrifice reading time to do the TM. Just aren't enough hours in the day. I'm sure there are oodles of you all who can agree with that statement.

Take care you all. I'll check in tomorrow.
Kim
185/170/139
Since January 2, 2001
Old 04-26-2001, 09:49 PM   #105  

Default hi

Hi all-
Not much going on here. Just wanted to say hi. We had a gorgeous day here today. I walked for an hour with my friend after school .Then I went to Yoga. It is so wondeful. Pete and I bought a yoga dvd. I don't think it'll compare to the real thing but I'm willing to try.

When I first started yoga, I thought it was weird. I stuck it out b/c I paid for an 8 week session and I knew it was good for me. I took the summer off and started again this past Sept. All of a sudden something clicked. I love it. Thanks for posting about the TIME.com article Kim. I printed it and shared it with all my yoga friends.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow Sparkle!! Is it any consolation that everyone has days like that? I hate them but that's life.

Only 33 days of school left. I'm not really counting down, per se, but the kids are getting sick of each other which makes for bickering etc. I want to keep motivated to be there..but it's hard. Kids aren't the only ones who look forward to summer vacation!!

I'm hosting a surprise party for my friend this weekend. I'm sick of surprise parties! She'll be thrilled but, oy, the work involved. I probably won't be around much for the next few days.

I've been reading/skimming all the posts. I so enjoy our little SB family here. ) Following along with the events in our lives is a real joy.

Have a great weekend all-
Ashley
Closed Thread