Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: How many times a week do you exercise 20 minutes or more?
Exercise, me? NEVER! 4 11.43%
1-2 times a week 5 14.29%
3-4 times a week 16 45.71%
5-6 times a week 10 28.57%
EVERY DAY!!! 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 10:20 AM   #91  
Goddess

Default Good Thursday Morning Everyone!

Hello from not-so-sunny NC! Someone forgot to tell the weatherman that this week is my SPRING break. Winter, with its cold and rain just doesn't want to throw in the towell.

I am amazed at all the posts in the last couple of days! I'd like to talk to everyone individually, but there is just no way!

I'm still OP. Ran into a snag last night. Mom went to church and left Dad and I to fend for ourselves for dinner. She put out a couple of cans of she-crab soup--which is normally legal, but this was loaded with corn starch and sugar grams. So only after Dad opened the can and began cooking did I announce "I can't eat this." I was starting to sense that my WOE was wearing thin, but I looked in the fridge and whipped up a cheese and asparagus omlet--YUM! He got his soup and was happy and I had a mighty fine dinner too.

I forget who it was that also loves asparagus. We got ours at Sams's and they were so big and beautiful that we couldn't resist. I'm also a big artichoke fan. I eat steamed artichoke at least once a week--and now they are coming into season--so they will be big and beautiful (just like me ).

It seems that there were a lot of losers out there yesterday! Y'all remain my inspiration.

Star--I'm really rooting for you on that April 1 weigh-in. Not having scales this week has turned out to be fairly liberating. Are you taking measurments too? I often find that I lose inches even when the scale refuses to budge for a while--though I'm sure you will see success on the scale too!

Have a good day everyone!
Old 03-29-2001, 11:33 AM   #92  

Good Morning all! Well as sore as I was when I woke up this morning(from the aerobic workout I did yesterday), I was not sure that I could do my usual 3.3 miles, so I decided I'd set out to do at least one mile. By the time I got to that marker, I was too into it to stop, so PTL I did the whole thing in 49 minutes. Best time so far. It's 50 degrees here this am with 100% humidity, so I think I did well under those circumstances

Want to share another with you all. During my walk this am, a gnat or some type of bug flew in my eye. Well, it teared up some, but didn't feel like anything was still in there, so I kept walking. I came back home, took my shower, then just now, when I went to put on my makeup, I opened my bottom lid & low & behold, there is the bug. So Debelli, if your eye lid continues to swell, check for bugs.

You all must think I'm wacko by now, huh? Well truth is, I feel so good with all this exercising & I'm not depressed anymore & also, all this fresh air is getting to my brain.

Well I'm off to have lunch with a friend & do some shopping, so I'll check with later to respond to some posts. Hope everyone has a great SF day!
Old 03-29-2001, 12:29 PM   #93  

Default Breyer's Ice Cream

Breyer's was very unhelpful
Here is the reply I received regarding my question of how much of the sugar was natural and how much was added in their vanilla ice cream.....

Thank you for your interest however we do not have a
> breakdown of this
> information. Thank you.

Oh well, any suggestions for how I can persue this?? I may write them a letter.
Ashley
Old 03-29-2001, 01:10 PM   #94  

Default Day 3

Well I made it through the 2nd day. It always seems the first week is the hardest.

I do have a questions. Do all of you weight in at home? Or run by the Dr.'s office?? I don't have a scale at home.....but I am thinking about call the Dr. and asking if I can come by.

MELF - Thanks for telling me what WOE means. Some of those abbreviations get me confused !!!

I am so very proud of day 2. My hubby cooked while at was at choir practice. Gumbo (with the dreaded white flour roux) with a big ole pot of white rice and Pototoe Salad!! ECKKK

I asked him to please put in the fridge while I changed clothes and then I fixed a legal dinner...I am so proud!!

CathyCathy - Can't wait till you get on full board!! We will have lots to discuss.

I am having a headache in the afternoon, but I am sure that has a lot to do with cutting out sugar, and I am sure that it will pass.

How much do you think I can lose between now and August??? My daugther starts high school in August and I would like to look better than now!! I am determined to look GREAT by the time she hits 16 (2 years).

Have a SF (Sugar Free - see I am getting it) Day! Thanks for all the encourgement!
Old 03-29-2001, 02:20 PM   #95  

Default Oh My!!

I just finished eating some Triscuits with Hummus. The Hummus read no sugar grams, but the 8th ingredient is High Fructose Corn Syrup!! OH NOO! But I am assuming that this means that is less than 1 gram of sugar per serving??

This makes me crazy!!!
Old 03-29-2001, 03:46 PM   #96  

HELLO LADIES

I'm so excited Deb, I finally got back on, it's only taken me a month to do it. This is Glory I haven't had the time to read the post but can't believe the new board WOW you all have so much stuff there. It looks great hope to have more time to post tomorrow. Love to all Glory

Last edited by GloryBI; 03-29-2001 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2001, 04:11 PM   #97  

Default Just a quick hello

I just wanted to say that I finally have a loss to share. Last Thursday 307, today 303. A loss of 4 lbs. Yeah!

Sorry I haven't been around much, but things are very hectic at work and don't have much time at the moment. Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 03-29-2001, 04:17 PM   #98  

Default Boy it's cold here!

Hello all my favorite losers! I am having such a nice timer here. I spent the day today with my mom and my big sister (should call her my little sister as she is perfect weight), we looked at all the old pictures and shopped a little. I don't get to see them often so it was wonderful. We are having stuffed peppers made with brown rice tonight - I think my mom may try this woe out. She has been VERY supportive of my efforts while I have been here. She has a digital scale and I think I may get one... I like to be able to see it... LOL, I am always squinting at my regular scale.

Deb: Good job getting yourself motivated for the walking. It was getting humid at my house before I came here too. Sounds like Eli had a brain fart! You mentioned in a post to someone that you eat pretzels as a snack - what brand? I have looked and looked.

Glory: Welcome Back! I have wondered where you have been, was worried that you fell off the sb wagon. I am glad to see that I was just worrying about nothing.

Karen: I just read that Prevention article last night. I was suprised by some of the numbers too - the one I really want to know about is the popcorn. I thought the article was a great refresher though.

Rodeo: Deb gave me a great recipe for hummus with no suger; it is really easy! You should try it.

Ashley: have you tried SB brand ice cream? It is wonderful! Ithink that Breyers doesn't want our business with that kind of response! You could always try to ask Phil at the sweetsense.com site. He is willing to answer questions like that.

Melf: That story about the gnat was hilarious! You are right, Deb better check her eyes for bugs...LOL

Fellise: Way to go with the omlette selection. I am lucky, as everyone is supportive of my woe so far. I think they are sick of me bieng fat!

Quilter: congrats again on the two pounds. I guess I did get you mixed up with someone else. I have a hard time keeping the names straight.

GatorGal: Sorry again about not being able to see you in Daytona. I just ran into some last minute problems with clothing and had to go buy some new jeans... not used to dressing for winter and thought old stuff would fit and NONE of it did - too small unfortunately.

I have to apologize because someone asked about my feet and the glucosamine and I can't find it now to respond correctly, but I am wondering about whether that is my problems with the wieght loss too. I cannot do without it though. so we shall see. I have been eating less cheese since being at my mom's so I will see what happens there too.

Well, I gotta go help mom with dinner. Hope to get on for tonights chat, but not sure. Annette
Old 03-29-2001, 05:51 PM   #99  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Evening Everyone!

Have the computer all to myself, the kids went with my sister to the Youth Fair (broke down and let Lauren go, I'm a softie I guess), Sharon went to a friends and Eli is outside trying to put a plug in his tire that got flat.

Had a great lunch at Ole Ole followed by toasted coconut Carbolite soft serve - YUMMY!! Really didn't do much else today, we got a late start-hate that when it happens.

Tomorrow I am going to see VIV. I have about an hour or so drive up there, but we're going to try to make a day of it and hit the mall that's close by to where she will be, as well as a trip to the Fresh Market. I'll be thinking of BIGO when I go there!

I'm up a little today on the scale, I know this is just a temporary thing, TOM came along today. . I'm still sticking to my meeting my goal by end of April, mid May-not so far away!!! Cross those fingers for me gals!

CATHYCATHY, I buy the almond butter at Trader Joes when I am blessed to have the chance of going, or know of someone who is coming to Fl that can bring me something from there-unfortunately, we don't have one here. BUT, the brand I buy, MARANTHA is available at a HFS, but almost twice the price as TJ's. I know the Wild Oats HFS near me has the machine where you can grind it fresh, or, you can grind your own at home with regular almonds. That's what I do when I want PB, buy the jars of unsalted peanuts, totally plain peanuts, throw them in my food processor, and viola, I've got delicious fresh PB!!! I had an image of the youths at church tying you up!!! I can't tell you my experience on low-carb dieting, never did a low-carb diet, but I did read Atkins and other books pertaining to low-carb before deciding to follow SB instead. Many people THINK that SB is low-carb, and it isn't-it's a myth we are constantly dispelling. I chose SB because I was able to eat the bread, pasta, rice and fruits-on low carbs, you can't. I have approx 120 carbs a day, give or take-this is 40% of my daily intake which is right in line with what most healthy sane diets recommends! I don't believe in deleting entire food groups on any plan you follow, and I think this is one reason SB is so successful for many-you NEVER feel deprived, hungry and once you get the sugar totally out of your system, you don't have the cravings!!!

FILLISE, sorry to hear the weather in NC isn't cooperating with your wishes for sun! I commend you on the way you handled that snag-good for you. Funny you should mention artichokes, we bought 4 of them today-.59 cents each! Eli makes a garlic, lemon and salt dip that we eat them with-yummy!!! When do you go home?? I hope you continue to have a great time-and I hope the weather clears up.

MELF, I am so thrilled to read your posts! You really sound so much like me at times. Like me, there are days I just don't feel like walking, but I go and say I'll do half the distance, and I feel so good when I'm out there, going the full 4.5miles just happens-and I'm thrilled afterwards that I got out there. Congrats on the new time as well, I know how that must of made you feel-exhilarated!! I too laughed at your "gnatty" experience! Luckily for me, I don't think that will happen, I wear sunglasses when I walk, but Eli is always telling me I seem to have a bug up my a**, so maybe the little buggers are just hitting me in the wrong place! Not only is the fresh air helping you mentally, when you walk, all those endorphins that make you feel good release in your brain-so really, you are doing 3 great things for yourself when you walk-fresh air, exercise and endorphins!!!!!

OVERCOME, sorry to hear Breyers was a flop-the least they can do is send you a free coupon for a gallon of ice cream!!! I tried looking, didn't find anything, but will try to look some more.

RODEO, for me, the first 3 days are the hardest, if I make it through that, I KNOW I will be fine. Actually, when I make it through the first evening, I know I have a good chance. I weigh in ONLY at home. Even when I go to the Dr., I tell them what I weigh, I won't get on their scales-I can't stand to see me weigh in with clothes on and on someone elses scale-plus, if I didn't like what I saw, I may break it with a good swift kick!!! The headache is quite normal, it's your body getting rid of the sugar, think of it as a drug detox. It will pass!!! It's hard to say what you could possibly lose by August. I thought when I started SB I'd be at goal in October, didn't happen, and I was perfectly fine with that. Setting any goals that far in advance is never a good idea I found. Set mini goals and just do your best-whatever you lose will be great! You have 5 months and you can lose a lot of weight during that time, you just have to be commited to this WOE-it's totally up to you, and it's in your hands, how successful you CAN be following this WOE. For me, the first 5 months, I lost 30lbs, buy my friend Sharon lost 27lbs in about 7 weeks, so you can see, it's REALLY hard to say. Um, that hummus, corn syrup, yeck! If you can spare 5 minutes, you can make delicious fresh hummus like I do 5 days a week!! Would be happy to share the recipe with you, though I do believe it's on the recipe board somewhere!

GLORY-WOW! You finally made it back on the board- WOO HOO!!! Please, let us know how you've been, where you've been and what's happening with your weight loss!! Do tell all!!!!!

CATS, CONGRATS on a 4LB loss!!! That's wonderful!! Before you know it, you will be in the 200's! That's a major goal!!!! WOO HOO!!!! Keep up the great work!!

ANNETTE, so happy to hear you are having a nice time with your family, and knowing they are supporting your WOE. I just found the pretzels recently, they are from VITASPELT and made with spelt flour. They have no barley malt like other pretzels, which is why I decided to try them out. They taste like regular pretles. I eat 16, which is one serving. They are the mini ones.

Well, gonna go see what trouble I can get into now-will be on later for the chat at 9:15pm Can't wait to see what happens on Survivor tonight. If you come in for the chat and are on the West Coast and don't want to hear about it, just let us know!!!!

Toodles!

Debbie
194/132/129
Miami, FL
Old 03-29-2001, 05:53 PM   #100  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Default HELLO FROM SOGGY FLA!!!

EVENING EVERYBUDDY

Just got home from the "grind"...or should I say floated home I never speak bad of the rain gods we need it so bad...looks like it has set in for the evening, and there is talk of through Monday....Guess that means I'll get more work done in prep for the Inspector General

GLORY....[b]I'm so glad that you are able to get back on the computer.....WE'VE MISSED YOU!!!!

I swear I had so much to say, and can't think of a thing!
I know, I know it's so rare for BOB to be CLOSED MOUTH!

Oh yeah, ANNETTE...where in NC are you visiting? I have soooooo much family in the Western part of the state...Deb and I both have relatives in Hendersonville.

AND FOR THE BREYERS????If they don't want to help us in our quest.....DON'T BUY THEIR PRODUCTS!!

I'm off to fix some dinner....CHICKEN...yummmmmmm

OH AND SOMETHING ELSE...IS THERE A SIGN ON EVERY ROAD IN LOUISIANNA POINTING TO THIS BOARD??? Welcome to all you new BUSTERS...We're glad to have you!

I'll check back in later....

BOB
Old 03-29-2001, 06:13 PM   #101  
Everyday angel

Default The best of times!

Good morning to all you lovely ladies! This group seems like almost a “magical” corner of cyberspace, and I’m very happy to be participating. Thanks of course for all the good info that has been posted!

Congrats to all the losers this week and to those who didn’t lose, you are STILL a winner if you are sticking to the program! Even if you aren’t sticking to the program, you are still going to succeed because you’re HERE after all!

Welcome to all the newbies!

Overcome (Ashley), I’m glad your cookies turned out. I can’t handle cookies of any kind yet. I love ice cream too...as I said, I make a sugar free version at home, but I can’t handle that right now either...I was reading in my journal from only Feb 19 that I ate 3 cups of sugar free ice cream in addition to other food. Granted I ran 8 miles that day but 3 cups is still unreasonable. I think we just need to use a little common sense. Like YES, regular ice cream has lots of sugar, naturally occurring or not, and there’s no way to rationalize that away! But ¼ cup is certainly not going to kill you.

Rapture, about being in the same boat. Yeah I’ve learned that other people have the same desires and insecurities as I do! Most of my life I felt I was the only one who felt the way I did. I really like that saying, “Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!” I say that to myself often.

Debbie, well I think the agave nectar was a little over $3 a bottle...everything is pretty expensive over here, especially cereal and milk which is normally over $5 a box/gallon respectively if not on sale. I’m proud of you for conquering your chocolate addiction (although caution is always in order). After not having chocolate for a year I started in with it over Christmas (darn office snacks) and ended up hitting rock bottom with three boxes in three days. I said NO MORE! I realized that I had been flirting with danger for a long time: hot chocolate, chocolate chips in cookies, chocolate milk shakes, etc. before the full-blown candy phase. I hope that I will conquer my addiction too one day but for now, the best I can do to handle is complete abstinence.

Thank you for the compliment on my writing, I guess it just comes naturally to me. Also I never forget that I’ve been doing a lot of hard work on my inner self this past year with the 12 steps of OA. Like the 4th step is doing a written inventory of my entire history—resentments, accomplishments, wrongdoings etc. Well that took up a whole notebook of solid writing!

Quilter (Kim), yeah I like that pink elephant image! LOL! I don’t remember if it was you who originally said “carrots are evil.” I was like, “WHAT???” I never felt I HAD to eat carrots, they’ve always been yummy to me. I guess it’s ironic that when I was a child, we had a joke in our family that my Auntie used to coat the knife with sugar ‘cause carrots always tasted sweeter when she cut them.

BOB, you’ve got me blushing to the tips of my little toes. Gee, if it were so easy I would come stay with me and get some motivation! Sheesh! As I said to Debbie above, it took a lot of work just to get to this point, and every day as I get more and more “awake” (I think you know what I mean) I see more ways that I can improve my life. I see people (like my parents) who have been “dreaming” their whole lives but not putting the grunt work into their dreams and look how far it has gotten them.

Don’t worry about the weight. As you said, you’ve been doing well! I said earlier that weighing once a week will be good for me ‘cause my weight has varied as much as 7 pounds from one day to the next! Once I was even 2 pounds heavier after a cardio workout. Go figure.

Froggie, in regards to your “friend.” Before being exposed to people more, especially in OA, not only did I not think that people could feel the same way I did (see above) but also I must admit, I was intimidated by thin, attractive people and still am to some degree. I always thought that they were in a realm I couldn’t understand or be a part of. It was a shock to realize that some thin women are even more insecure than I am! I think your friend probably means well but she has her own problems that get in the way of being supportive all the time. Everybody deals with their issues in different ways. Some overeat, some throw up, some have other addictions that don’t have to do with food. But the underlying spiritual lack is the same no matter what the outside of the package looks like.

Cathy, hello and welcome! I just started to so the only way I know if this “works” or not is by the results of these lovely grrrls. I have reduced my carbs in the past but have never followed a very low carb plan like Atkins which is a good sign that it doesn’t work! Here is the problem with low carb diets I have had in the past: even when I eat a lot I don’t feel satisfied. Kinda yucky from the grease too. I didn’t get enough fiber and it should be obvious that unlimited fat is very unhealthful. When I did eat carbs it would be stuff like bread and french fries which of course would quickly reverse any progress I’d made. It seemed easier to just avoid them altogether than deal with the choices. It has been only a few days of incorporating whole grains but I can already tell that balanced meals are the way to go! I’ve been eating three meals a day with no snacks and actually feel satisfied (not just full) after each meal. I’ve even been leaving food on my plate.

Fillise, you go girl! on the omelette. Small choices make a big difference in time! My roomie and I share food and we have had to deal with this issue too. It has been rough at times but I think we are getting past the adjustment period. Sometimes we will just cook separate things, but sometimes I can adapt. Like last night he made burritos. He compromised and got whole wheat tortillas and brown rice. He had about four tortillas but I just had one (they were the small size) and topped it with just a bit of rice, beans and meat, then piled on the tomatoes, shallots and added some shredded red cabbage (sounds weird, but it was pretty good). So I ended up with more of a salad than a burrito!

I love artichokes too! They are a divine treat. Especially with a bit of melted butter, but I like them plain too. I also love zuchinni and spinach.

Melf (Mary) I laughed my arse off at the bug story!!!! Sounds like you are doing really well on the walking. Keep it up girl!

Rodeo Mom, you can do it!!! Hey we are kindred spirits ‘cause this is my fourth day! It’s been really difficult, especially the hour of cardio a day, but I’m adapting. About the headache, are you drinking enough water? Are you cutting down drastically on your caffeine intake? If you cut caffeine you have to do it gradually. Man I’m addicted to my diet Coke. I only have 1 or 2 cans a day but I’ll kill somebody if I don’t get those!

Catsrule, congrats on the 4 lb loss!

Glory, welcome back!

What’s been going on lately

My roommate and I, as I said, had a tiff. It was about the food arrangements, and was triggered by my getting into what he calls “nasty health food.” I’ll skip the details as it’s rather personal, but what I want to share is because we had it out things are much better now. I understand the arrangement for buying and sharing food and there is no miscommunication. He has cooked dinner for two nights in a row when he hasn’t done anything for a while, and is even making an effort to get into a bit healthier foods too! (The dishes are another story )

It’s a test of my self-esteem when things happen that would have unglued me before. I was writing to this guy from the personals. Well out of the blue, he said, I saw your picture (the same one I posted), don’t write me any more emails ‘cause you think you’re hot but you’re really ugly and I’m not interested in girls who are ugly and fat too.” Well! I have to laugh cause his picture was a sight to cause sore eyes. I’m also laughing because I think it’s a high compliment that it comes across to someone that I think I’m hot! That means I’ve come a long way! Boy is he going to be surprised when he finds out that his personal ad with his picture and his full name, and a TRUE description of himself, is posted on every single ad site that I know of...and I know lots of them. I must admit I’m still shocked, sort of like when somebody hits you in the back of the head for no reason, but I know HE is the one who is demented!

Meanwhile, nothing is going to deter me from the program! It’s my fourth day and while I didn’t have any doubt that I would make it through the first week, the many times when I have “tried” and failed still loom large in my cranium.

A little inspiration

I had a late-breaking but brilliant thought: if I get my body on an equilibrium there is really no reason to EVER be sick and tired, let alone sick and tired all the time! I’ve never been able to stick to a plan consistently before sugarbusters. But the plan of eating is merely a tool, albeit an important one! I have to work on the physical and emotional parts of recovery at the same time. So. No smoking or heavy drinking, get enough sleep, take my vitamins every day, three meals a day, regular exercise and I can actually feel good all the time! What a concept! I don’t usually catch colds unless I don’t get enough sleep, but I’m always sick with one stress related ailment or another: headaches, the eye inflammation, stomach pains (from the cigarettes it seems???), even skin infections. I was really worried because I plan to go to school full time while working full time in a couple of years, but I don’t feel like I can do that when stress causes me so many problems! (Isn’t that ironic: being stressed out about being stressed out.) But if I can consistently feel as good as I have the past few days despite the stress and the hectic schedule, I can conquer just about anything. I’ve wasted a lot of years of my life being barely present, but I have a lot of years left and for the first time I’m actually looking forward to them!

Lots of aloha,

Chris

164/162.5/130 (as promised I’m starting over from last week!)
Old 03-29-2001, 08:42 PM   #102  

DANG-IT...I didn't want Jerri to win that challenge!

Chris...I just heard on TV that HONOLULU is the #1 HEALTHIEST CITY in the United States...

See everyone in chat!!

BOB
Old 03-29-2001, 09:16 PM   #103  

Default HELLO HELLO HELLO

I just had a brief moment to scan all posts from the past week. You all sound so
encouraging about this WOE. I want to get back on the wagon. I've been eating
so much sugar/breads/popcorn lately that I'll have to start at square one. I have
to look at the whole picture, not just the present.

Thanks to everyone who sent me nice little notes. I appreciate it so much.

Yes, I too, love hummus and triscuits. The hummus that I use doesn't have sugar. It's
mixed with roasted red peppers.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE PICTURES OF THE GANG THAT WERE POSTED. It's nice to see
that you all care about each other.

Have a wonderful evening and I'll be back soon.

One more time.............
Old 03-29-2001, 09:17 PM   #104  

Default ICECREAM

OVERCOME you have reminded me of what I used to whip up when i was being sugar free in the past.

I use skim milk, and you have it really cold and whizz it up really fast in the food processor, add a few drops of sweetener and vanilla it whips up like really thick "cream " type yummy stuff.
I then stick it in the freezer (processor and all) till its frozen. Giving it up a few stirs (hack it with a butter knife) during the freezing process is good so the blade can move when its whizzed again.
Then whizz again and add a fozen banana or any other frozen fruit.
I used to love a few dried apricots added and then sprinkling it with slivered roasted almonds when i served it.
Also a little shredded coconut with banana or pinapple is nice.
Its very much like icecream only healthy , no fat and no added sugar
loI, I am making my mouth water, I must make some.
Old 03-29-2001, 10:02 PM   #105  

GREAT CHAT FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO MISSED IT

I'm off to watch ER...It's new tonight...

BOB
Closed Thread