Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: So, Halloween is over, how well did you do on your prediction?
I did exactly as I said, just one piece! 1 4.17%
I did exactly as I said, not one piece! 9 37.50%
I did exactly as I said, just had a piece of SB Legal Chocolate! 1 4.17%
I did exactly what I said that night, there after, it's a different story! 1 4.17%
I failed, but not too bad! 4 16.67%
I failed, and miserably at that! 1 4.17%
You mean Halloween is over? I'm still celebrating! 0 0%
I plead the Fifth. I'm not saying anything to incriminate myself! 2 8.33%
You better hitch the wagon and come get me-it's bad! 1 4.17%
Other (care to explain?) 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 06:39 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Okay, finally have a couple of minutes to post. I'm skipping WIW. I've been a real porker from Fri- Mon. Really, I don't know what got into me, I just kept eating and eating...and all bad foods. I'm puffy of course. I did good with my eating yesterday, and even exercised. Today I exercised, but I've eaten too many starches. My appetite is enormous from all the sugar I've overloaded it with. Anyway, I will make a HUGE effort tomorrow to limit my starches to only 2. I've been drinking lots of water, but still not flushing out. Plus, TOM is due anytime now. Why I do this to myself who knows?! At least I'm able to catch myself before I really do some damage. Okay, enough complaining. Boogie is sick to his stomach today. He's been to the bathroom about 7 or 8 times today. Hopefully, he'll feel better tomorrow.

DEB- I can really relate to the birthday thing. I HATE my bday for very similar reasons. NO ONE remembers. It makes you feel like if you meant something to your family then they would remember. I know it's not really that, but that's how I feel. It would be nice if my family would make a little fuss over me on that day, but nooo...this time I let it be known how I felt and that next year, things better be different!

Alright, I need to get off this computer and fix supper. DD has been back here 2 times in the past 10 minutes declaring how hungry she is
Old 11-05-2003, 06:47 PM   #77  

Good afternoon:

I have been pretty good today. I am now eating guacamole with blue corn chips instead of the candy...not much better, but I'm getting there. I plan to have a snack bag of m&m's with my snack size popcorn tonight during The Bachelor (I do this every Wed. evening).

I went bra shopping today; if I lose anymore weight in my boobs, I'll be a size A. I was a 40DD before the reduction, and have been a 36B, but the cups are starting to pucker. I actually found a few B's that fit today! I also bought some warm jammies for Lane, and some semi-matching holiday outfits for the girls. Also dropped $18 on cards (birthdays, anniversaries....); they cost so much. I was at the outlet store, so bought a few more Christmas gifts for the girls...better stop now!

chrisd: sounds very familiar with Dominic. We got to the point with Britt that if she started to throw a screaming fit, we would say, "Britt, you're going to throw up," and if she didn't stop screaming, we would go and place her on the bathroom floor until she was done, and instruct her to throw up in the toilet. It is so frustrating when she knew she could avoid it by not crying, but did it anyway. It was nice to finally figure it all out though. You should ask your doctor about checking for eosonophils on the esophagus when scoping. I thought children were too young to develop a ring/stricture down there. Keep me posted on his condition/prognosis.

Ashley: Great job....17 more pounds to goal; you will be there before you know it. I usually go to the gym around 6 a.m. on Wed. when DH is home with girls, but he had an early meeting and if I wanted to go, I had to go early. Since I missed all week last week, I figured I better do it. It's difficult when the weather cools off and you'd rather be under those covers. I go early on Saturday too, but the gym doesn't open until 7 a.m., so I sneak out before anyone else is up. If I wait until they are all up, I'd never get out. You would be surprised how many people are at the gym at 5 a.m. during the week before going to work. It's nice to see! I too went bra shopping, as I noted above....not too fun with a screaming toddler wanting to play with all the bras & underwear.

Sef: Wow, what a fun surprise...I never hang on to anything like that long enough to collect dust. I'm usually out spending it within days of getting it .

Well, I am going to go make an OP dinner and enjoy my popcorn and m&m's (I love to mix them together). The Country Music Awards are on too, so I'll have to tape something. I like Country Music, and the awards are always fun to watch. Kids will be going to bed a little early tonight!

Have a great evening!

See you all tomorrow!
Nat
Old 11-05-2003, 07:04 PM   #78  

My sister just discovered an awesome recipe that I really need to share. the only problem is the butter, but I didnt use as much as they ask for..I cut it down by 1/2 stick. TOM is here and I need something sweet so right now, i dont care about the fat in it. Here it goes...

DOUBLE ALMOND COOKIES

2 Cups WW flour
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
1/4 tsp salt
2 sticks (1cup) butter softened
1 cup agave
1 egg
2 tsp almond extract

Heat oven to 350. Mix flour, almonds and salt..set aside. Beat butter and agave until creamy. Blend in egg and extract. Gradually mix in flour mixture.

Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 min. or until golden brown.
Makes 3 dozen.

This is a must try!

Chris
Old 11-05-2003, 07:17 PM   #79  

Deb I'm so sorry I missed your Birthday. I honest to God didn't know. I'm new to this Board but that's no excuse. If I knew it was your birthday that day, I would have driven myself to Miami (what's 60 miles) to take you out to lunch. Men can be so forgetful when it comes to birthdays. Congrats on Michael making it into Mensa. Gosh, I don't know anyone who is actually in Mensa.

Today was a good day. I was at work and felt some cravings but I got through it. The chocolate was in the office but I had a piece of fruit instead.

Btw, do I need to count my starchy carbs? I wasn't even paying attention. I went to Whole Foods today and bought the WW English Muffins. What can I put on them?

Ilana
Old 11-05-2003, 07:42 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 285/210/130

Height: 5'1

Deb
About the b-day thing. If it's important to you, and your family (especially dh) know how you feel about it then it is painful when they blow it off. And you have a right to be mad. My dh tends to be pretty oblivious about things and I used to hold it in mope about like that would actually accomplish something. Now I flat out tell him "What you did really hurt me".
This makes him feel like crap, and I don't waste time moping.
I totally understand you'd like him to WANT to do something nice for you just because he wants to make you happy. But it looks like he has a mental block about your b-day. Blow his off and see if he gets a clue.
Oh and the cheesecake has 16 grams of fat.
My daughter just turned 16 October 9th. She wants me to take her for her drivers permit tomorrow waaaaa
And happy birthday to the greatest moderator ever!!

Pancho
hummmm, so basically your sister sucked up all the babysitting on her daughter! I hope you find a safe sitter!

Dave & jackieO
Way to go on the losses!

I'm a little perturbed that TOM showed up the second day into SBD because that's an automatic 5-6 pounds of bloat so I can't tell if I'm losing. But still sticking to plan on day 3! It's kinda boring though. I don't know how anyone does Atkins for any length of time.

Old 11-05-2003, 10:14 PM   #81  

I wasn't going to post tonight but after just weighing myself, I am so excited. I lost two pounds. I can't believe it. On Monday I weighed 145 and now today I weigh 143. I hope the scale isn't lying to me. I checked it three times just to make sure and that it was calebrated correctly.

SB is working!!!

I'm a believer!

Thanks for all of the support. I definitely could not do this without all of you!

Night!

Ilana
Old 11-06-2003, 06:07 AM   #82  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Will be back on later. Just found a way to merge wayward threads in to our thread. Only trouble is, it gets inserterd to the date and time when it was posted. We have a post by KITTY that I've merged on to this board from yesterday but many of you have posted since then and may not see it since before now, so here's the link to the area of the board where the post is:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...0&pagenumber=2

You should be able to click on the link and it should take you directly to her post so you all can reply

THANKS!!!
Old 11-06-2003, 08:22 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good Thursday morning.

I have just a second before I leave for my meeting but wanted to catch up.

We went to the grocery (2 hrs and $300) I told you I was out of food. and it was late so we went out to eat. We went for fish. I wanted the fried fish so bad. But I was good, got the broiled and a salad. Came home at 9:00 and did my floor exercies and most of my routine.

It is raining here. Yucky day for the races. At least we will be inside in a suite.Don't know how long we will stay. My boss doesn't like to do anything fun, plus I only klnow 1 man from the insurance co. so I may not want to hang around. Get a good lunch (all legal) and leave. Then I have to go back at 5:30 for a safety prize give away. DH is taking me out for wings tonight so I don't have to worry about cooking.

KittyKat, Welcome to our board. SBis a great way of eating, something you can do for life and not even think about it. You will get lots of support here and great friendships too.

Heartmom, Glad youa re out of your eating frenzy and back on track. You are too close to that 100 mark to slip now. Hope Boogie is feeling better.

Pancho, we have a card factory outlet. The cards are all 59 cents. Theya re not the quality of a Hallmark, but they do. I love cards and they have gotten so expensive.

Mom, SB says up to 3 starchy carbs a day. That is your cerals, pasta, bread, rice etc. I try to stay at no more than 2. Congrats on the 2 lbs. Keep up the good work.

Cheryl, hows the SBD coming? Happy birthday to your DD. Your wories are just starting.

Probably won't be back until tomorrow. Have a good day and evening.

Jackie
257/156/145
10-10-01
Old 11-06-2003, 09:43 AM   #84  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Thursday Morning Everyone

Dreary day here, woke up to rain and dark cloudy skys Doesn't look like it's going to clear up down here any time soon.

My house feels like an ice box. Don't I wish it was weather related due to cold, but no Mom and Dad thought it was too hot in the house and have knocked the a/c down. Down to the point the windows have condensation on them! At this time, DM is out-snorring DF! Guess I better find the coffee pot and start to brew them coffee before I hear them complaining-we normally don't drink it at home and will only pull out the French press or coffee maker when company comes.

Speaking of coffee...ELI has already brought home 3 bags of coffee beans for me to take to our SB GET TOGETHER in February, so I'm starting to hoard the bags of coffee for our next event If you haven't let me know that you are truly interested in joining us, please do so I can make sure I bring enough for everyone. If you have a certain SB coffee you enjoy, e-mail me and let me know so I can try and get that one for you. If you don't care about type but need decaf, LMK.

Thanks for all the belated birthday wishes. I hope you don't mind that I reply to all of you who sent them collectively. Truly, it wasn't my intention by telling you all I had for you to feel you had to say anything. In fact, after I had posted I was trying to decide if I should come back on the board and edit my post, asking no one to send belated wishes, but it just didn't seem right, so I nixed that idea. Sometimes it's hard to say things in a diplomat way At least I know I'm not the only person this happens to. I know that, but I guess even knowing that doesn't make it any better for the person. I am not the kind of person who can be tit-for-tat and not give ELI a present just because he doesn't give me one, I've thought about it, but I just can't do it, it's just not me, not my style. I always think ahead, way ahead and it's always buy ahead. Heck, I've already bought all his Xmas presents! About 2 weeks ago he was "complaining" that he had asked me to look for a new Game Boy for him since his was starting to die down (the man cannot sit on his "throne" without playing a game of Tetris!). I thought to myself, "what nerve!" here he's saying this and I didn't get a present for my bday? Little does he know, I had already bought him a GB at a garage sale 2 weeks earlier!!!! What can I say?

Anyhow, what's done is done. ELI's lack of helping me have a nice bday will be forever engraved in my memory but I hope and pray next year will be different. As for the board, not to worry, it surely doesn't make me feel any different to any of you, I'm here regardless and guys, you're stuck with me! It wasn't intentional on anyone's part and really, I don't expect anyone other than myself to know who on the board is having a birthday, in fact, many people I don't know their bday either, either it's not listed on the bio board due to them not wanting to post it, or you don't have a bio on the bio board. But if it's up there, you can be rest assured I'll know about it and acknowlege it. You can't escape the aging process from being told to the entire board if I know about it. Just call me "THE MOUTH FROM THE SOUTH!"

Okay, let's get off that past history...

CHRIS, your perception of talking to me that day was right on target. Actually, when you meet me you'll be able to read me like a book, I don't hold anything back and someone can just look at my face and be able to tell much.

JACKK, I too wondered about the exercise board - I'm guilty for not being on there. I've just been sooo tired I'm hoping to get back on there next week. I really wish the cooler air would come first though. Trust me, ELI knows about how I feel about both the BD and work issue. Not much else I can say and I don't think he's going to change the work, the BD, he better if he knows what's good for him! The scale went up after being 100% OP? Can you relate it to anything in particular, like TOM, mid-cycle, etc? I'm sure your efforts will be rewarded, just be patient and continue OP.

KITTY, Glad you joined us! I am much like you, once I've tried a "diet" and failed, it's hard for me to have the same dedication as I had when I tried it the first time and I usually don't succeed when I try it again. With SB, I made it to goal, stayed there over a year and then started to pack on the pounds again. Finding the same dedication has been hard and something I haven't quite mastered yet, but I'm working on it! Right now, my dedication is 100% and I plan to stay that way til at least Feb! You are so right, SB is a WOE you can do for a lifetime and I think with your head on straight you'll be happy you chose this WOE. Please don't hesitate to ask any and all questions, and think of this as a learning experience, as you'll be learning all along the way. After 3 1/2 years, I'm still learning! Oh, I just LOVE the Publix cake with the buttercream icing when it's frozen! Let's not even discuss the Publix peppermint stick ice cream, I may just gain thinking about it Good luck on Sunday - we can't wait to hear how you're doing!!!

SEF, sounds like you had quite a shopping spree on Sunday - what goodies did you buy? Sorry to hear that DD skirted around the holiday issue. She's going to regret her actions later on. Me, I can't WAIT to have you with us in February!!!

HEART, why does any of us do this to ourselves? You'll get back on track, I'm sure that you will If I can, you can, we all can.

MOM, CONGRATS on your 2lb loss You should be proud of yourself! Keep up the great work. Hope to meet you for lunch one day soon, no need for a special occasion to do so For you, since you don't have much to lose, I'd say the usual 2-3 starchy carbs are fine, but if you go over, don't have a cow about it, it doesn't have to be perfect. What's most important is to know what a portion actually is. When I make the WW muffins I toast them really well and then just take a stick of butter and glide it over the top. This uses much less than using a knife to slap it on. OR, you can use some sf preserves, if you like.

CHERYL, I think you should order one of those magnetic bumper stickers I got for the car now that DD will be driving. Good luck! MICHAEL is doing better, LAUREN hasn't driven much at all. It's very nerve-wracking to say the least!

To all who I didn't post a post individually for I send you warm {{{HUGS}}}

As you can see, from the time of this post I got side tracked. Parents woke up and I had to pretend I was a hostess Time for me to get ready and go out, have a few errands to do before I get the kids. Parents will be residing here again tonight. MICHAEL wants to have a party for ALEX here at our house on Saturday and it needs to be cleaned. Have lots to do. Will check in later.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!

{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie

Old 11-06-2003, 10:22 AM   #85  

Good Thursday morning:

I am back down to 122# this morning; I knew I'd see it again. I even had my mini popcorn with mini bag of m&m's last night when I watched The Bachelor. I am going to try to get to the gym today when DD is in school since I have a dr. appt. tomorrow, and I usually go to the gym on Fridays.

I noticed a recipe on Rizza's site for a pumpkin cheesecake that looks tasty. I think since it is "pumpkin" time, I may give it a try this weekend. I also want to try Teensy's applesauce brownies; maybe next week. I will have a few goodies baked and put away for Thanksgiving. I may endulge in a few bites of "forbidden" desserts, but mostly want to allow myself a little mashed potatoes w/gravy, stuffing, noodles....and food that I never eat anymore that I've always eaten for Thanksgiving in the past.

heart: I hope Boogie is feeling better today; you should be the one who is sick . At least you caught yourself before it got totally out of hand, and you are making an effort to get back on track.

chrisd: Obviously, you've tried the cookies if you are recommending them. They sound tasty, but I think I would add the full amount of butter. If the recipe makes three dozen, the butter amount shouldn't be too bad, per cookie. I'll have to try these after I make Rizza's pumpkin cheesecake and Teensy's applesauce brownies. So much baking, so little time...ha!

Mom: Next time you are at Whole Foods, check the aisle with all the jams/jellies; they have a few brands with no sugar added & no sugar substitutes...they use fruit concentrates instead. That is tasty on muffins. I also like to have a little bit of butter with some agave syrup...that's really tasty. I think you should be limiting your starchy carbs to 2-3 in the beginning and then experiment with them. Some people, me included, do a little better with a few more starchy carbs. Congrats on the 2#; SB does work!!! You will probably be down even a little lower in the a.m. I am always down 2-3 pounds when I weigh first thing in the morning when I first get up (after emptying my bladder, of course - ha). Keep up the good work.

cheryl: Keep up the good work, and don't get discouraged with TOM; it will always be there. I did Atkins for 2 months, and was totally OP until I went on vacation. I had lost 8 pounds in about 3 weeks, and then had 3 off-plan foods while on vacation (ice cream cone, sandwich on bread and FF), and gained 5 pounds back. I then lost that 5 and about 4 more before I got so frustrated with the yo-yo-ing that I started SB, and things really started rolling for me then. I can "splurge' from time to time and only see a gain of 2-3 pounds, and it always comes back down. It is a great way of eating.

Kitty: Welcome aboard; we look forward to getting to know you better in the coming weeks.

Jack-K: I didn't mention that I got the cards at a "Paper Outlet" factory store at the outlet mall. The cards were supposedly 50% off...I just had to buy about 9 of them. Oh well. Sounds like you are doing fantastic w/ exercise and eating OP...keep up the great work.

Well, I think I'll go throw a roast in the crockpot with a packet of Italian seasoning and a beer, and let it cook all day and have some sandwiches tonight.

I'll check in later!
Nat
Old 11-06-2003, 11:42 AM   #86  

Good morning!

PANCHO - yes i made them last night..they were soooooooo good. What a nice treat, especially with TOM here. Thanks for all the info about the espophogus...I am going to look all of it up tonight on the internet.

DEB - Im good like that! It was also the day I was taking my preg. test. Remember?? I think I talked to you like 4 times that day!

Chris
Old 11-06-2003, 12:59 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 285/210/130

Height: 5'1

KittyKat
Welcome to the board! You picked a very healthy doable way to lose pounds and feel better! I've been doing SB since July 2002 and have lost 35 pounds. Not only that but they are staying off!!
I kinda went nuts this past weekend and I've been stalled losing so I'm doing the first 2 weeks of South Beach Diet, which I think is just like Adkins. I could never do this long term. You'd have to be a serious meat lover, which I'm not.
SB is very well balanced and I miss my fruit!

mom2jared
Congratulations on the first 2 pounds gone!

Deb thanks for explaining about the post from Kitty cause I thought I was losing it more then normal cause I know I didn't see her there yesterday LOL
Old 11-06-2003, 02:00 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

I am definetly up several pounds. I can't shake this fluid off, ugh!! Really ticked about it, but I know I need to just give it some time. At least I have my exercise class this evening. Boogie seems to be better today. Just being a pain in the butt,lol. He has such a bad temper! But I guess he got it honest from the both of us. Not much going on today, staying at home for now. Just relaxing and watching the tube. Well, Boogie is hollering he's hungry so I guess it's lunch time.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:21 PM   #89  

Wink Ketchup post....

Pancho : How on earth did you able to get yourself out of the bed and go to gym at 4.30am?? I imagine, anyone that tries to wake me up at this early hour will probably see the ugliest side of me... WTG!!!

Debbie : I am hoping that I will be around this board for a long long time as this is really a wonderful board. I am going to put some effort to fill up my bio soon and look at some of the bios there as well. Thank you so much for your breakfast list, my goodness, did you have that list written down somewhere or just remember it just like that?? I am going to try some cereal although I never liked them but will try. Where can I find that pancake mix? I would love to have some pancakes for breakfast!! Yum!!

My congrats to Michael!! Hey, I like nerd, always attracted to one...I think..LOL. My dh is what some would call a nerd, technology nerd to be exact and "used" to dress like one...lol. He told me once that if he is given the MOST NERDY awards, it would gladly received it. He said, the world is rule by nerds!! LOL.

Kittykay : Welcome to the board! I am fairly new here too and I am also from Georgia, but south of Atlanta. You are absolutely right about SB is a way of lifystyle that I can live with for a long long time. I don't feel restricted at all and am getting very excited about all the things I can eat and tried so far. Oh so yummy! Oh, you will feel good even before you can see your weight loss. The wholesome food we eat makes us feeling so much better inside out. I hope you stick around

JackieO : WTG on that 1 pound loss! You are getting there!!

BOB : Thanks for the laugh...Picabo!! LOL.

Heartmom : Hey, hop back in and you will be just fine. {{{hugs}}}

chrisd : Thanks for the cookies recipes. I want to start baking a little and sounds like this is a great recipe to start.

mom2jared : Woo Hoo!! WTG!! You are doing great! I have to have my starch in each meal. Say, bread for breakfast, pasta/rice/sweet potatoes for lunch or dinner along with meat and veges. Without starch, I find myself getting hungry so fast and then start to shake. You can experiment with 2 or 3 starch a day to see how your body feels.

Oops, dh just came home and he is off today so I might only be back tomorrow or tonight. It's time for my lunch (a little late). Cooked seared basa fish with a little butter and lemon, stir-fry fennel and seasoned brown rice (with chopped veges). Oh, I am getting hungry...lol.

Good day everyone!

Julia
Old 11-06-2003, 03:14 PM   #90  

Default A recipe..

Baked Shrimp and crab salad/casserole..yum!

1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 (6-ounce) can crabmeat, picked free of any broken shells
1 (4-ounce) can medium shrimp
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup buttered cracker crumbs or bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a medium casserole dish or medium glass baking dish with butter.
In a large bowl, combine the bell pepper, onion, and celery. Add the crabmeat and shrimp, and then the mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce, tossing gently with a plastic spatula to combine. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish. Sprinkle crumbs over top. Bake until a golden brown crust develops, about 30 minutes.

Yield 6 to 8 servings.

I have made this recipe twice so far. The first time, I made it as what the recipe says. I found that the veges gave out quite a bit of liquid so the dish came out slightly runny. So, the second time, I make some changes and it tasted much better, IMO...lol.

I mixed in some grated cheddar cheese with the mixture (don't know how much, it is up to you, more means cheesier) and then top some cheddar cheese with the crumbs. Make it legal, use WW breadcrumbs. I also add some sour cream too, maybe a tablespoon and it tasted soo good! I plan to add some white fish next time. A good and simple side dish.

Some questions :

1) Agave, where do you get them? I know monet mentioned Harry's here in Atl right? What do you usually use them in? Drinks, baking?? Does it have much aftertaste?

2) Scales : I still haven't get one yet but hoping to do so soo. The last time I went to WalMart, I saw most of them were digitals. Dh and I are not comfortable with it so we are thinking of the conventional one. Are there some brands that you recommend or maybe I should avoid? Oh, when I was there (Walmart), I did weigh in and saw a 4lbs lost. My neighbor asked me the other day, did you lose weight??

That's all the questions I can think of now. Thanks.

Julia
Closed Thread