Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: What is your favorite piece of jewelry?
A necklace 5 19.23%
A pair of earrings 5 19.23%
A ring 15 57.69%
A bracelet 1 3.85%
An Anklet 0 0%
A toe ring 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 07:52 AM   #136  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SEF! I wanted to get you a cake, but decided a would be better, since is not legal! So here I am to celebrate with you! I even got my magical friend here to conjur up some birthday surprise for you! (they are cute, but I was a little disappointed he did not think of something more creative!) To top it off, I wrote to a special place I heard about for a special present for you. I specified he should be tall dark and handsome!! Hope you like him!
Old 10-10-2003, 08:21 AM   #137  

Default Friday Morning

I had to run Laura to school this morning. Tom was going to, but she was not ready in time. I was very disappointed, since I was looking forward to having one day where I did not have to run out and sit in traffic! I swear I am going to move to the country! I HATE traffic!

I am determined to make it through the day OP. So far, I had three eggs, and two pieces of toast, and tea. Yes, it was a big breakfast, but I find if I eat a very hearty breakfast, I do better. Generally, lunch is moderate, and supper small. When I follow this plan, I seem to do very well. I may try and avoid grains for the rest of the day. It shouldn't be too hard. I can have leftover chicken/broccoli chowder for lunch, and meat and veggies for dinner. That is all Tom wants anyway. He does not eat any grains anymore.

KENG: Where in Georgia do you live? I am in the northeast Atlanta area. Do you like Basmati rice? You can have that. Its amazing how the cravings go away once you start eating right!

TEENSY: Enjoy your alone time! Don't spend it all cleaning and stuff....sit down and read a book or something. I love having the house to myself! It doesn't happen too much these days.

WOOD: Oh! Sushi! I made sushi for my massage therapist the other night. I am not crazy about the shashimi, but I love California rolls and the Ebi shrimp ones. I have made it with brown rice, and it turned out pretty good. Have you ever tried making your own?

COUNTRY: Done any archery lately? I have not touched my bow in months! I will probably have a hard time pulling it! I need something to keep me away from sugar...a trip wire, or electric shocker would probably be effective...once or twice!

PANCHO: Glad you enjoyed the time with your friend. Your eating sounds great! You need to come and rub off on me! Hope the yard sale goes well!

BOB: Whoa! Good thing you caught that mistake with your meds! Is it just me, or does it seem the world is becoming more and more incompetent?

HEART: Where did you find Boogie? That age is such a riot! Into everything! Do tell...did you avoid the potatoes?

TRISH: Glad Seth is better. My daughter was making noises about staying home today, but she has enough absences for the semester in my opinion! I ignored her and she went on to school. I know what you mean about rain and drivers...here it is the same thing! I little drizzle and all the good driving habits seem to go right out the window!

GATOR: Hooray on that pound lost! I KNOW how hard it is for you, and I am so happy for you when you see some results! I guess we have to view the thyroid issues as 'our cross to bear'. I would rather not, but, God willing, we can succeed with His help! Some days, I just keep repeating Philippians 4:13 to myself.

DEB: Your pitas were beautiful! Makes me want to make a batch, but I am afraid in my state of mind, I would eat all of them as they came out of the oven! Is it the pitas you want the diastatic malt for?

I hope everyone has a great on program day! Will check in later!

Old 10-10-2003, 10:29 AM   #138  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Friday Morning

My arse is dragging this morning - tired, tired, tired I'm so sick of being tired! I'd love to crawl back in bed and go to sleep, which I may do after I get in this post. Forget about walking, I don't even have enough energy to stay awake

Well, I'm definitely back on track today, I can feel it. I guess that's hard to explain. What I've found is one of the many problems I have is that if something is open, it continues to call my name. Once it's gone, it's so much easier for me. I scarfed down the rest of the Breyers yesterday, so ate the half-gallon all by myself in 2 days, not bad, but not a record breaking feat! I had to finish up anything that was open and not nailed done - task completed, unfortunately. Of course, I feel like crap today, but I deserve that!

I think come Monday I may take the plunge, literally! My sister got a new pool and though this body hasn't seen the inside of a pool in over 20 years nor the inside of a bathing suit in the same amount of time, I may try to go over there 3 times a week and swim laps to get in some exercise-the other 3 days I'd walk. I won't be looking for a bathing suit Nope, they have my picture in all the stores with a big slash through it in the bathing suit area for me NOT to be able to buy one. I have a unitard type thing that are right above the knee which I'll wear with a shirt to cover. It's going to be VERY hard for me to be comfortable in this, even though it's just at my sisters-I don't like it and it may not even happen once I get this thing on me (if I can, haven't tried it on even). So, we'll see, but this is my intention.

I posted a couple recipes on the new quarterly recipe board and will add more as time permits.

KENG, hope you don't me me shortening your name, otherwise, I'm afraid, I won't be able to remember the whole thing Glad you decided to join in. Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but we have two other Georgia Peaches on the board, so you're in good company. Maybe you live near them? MONET & TALITHA! Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have, we're all more than happy to help answer any that you do!

MONET, I think it's wonderful that you were doing these classes for free and now that you are being paid double what you'd even thought of! I wish I were there, I would love to take a class like yours. I really would like to take a bread making class to learn all the ins and outs about baking bread without a ABM. There was one at the community school last month but it's just 1 time and $39, a bit pricey I think. I may try to see if they have any videos at the library, that may help. I'd like to learn more about shaping and kneading. Thanks for assuring me I don't have the only slob in the USA!!! I have to say, the studio that did the senior pics did a wonderful job on all I've seen. The guy who took MICHAEL'S pics actually took pics of LAUREN when he worked at GS. Nope, the pitas don't have the malt in them. Oh, got the new phone books, would you believe, no brew supply stores listed!

GATOR, basa is a very white fish, whereas, to me, tilapia is pink, this is white, white and doesn't taste fishy one iota! Thanks for letting me know from your experience with your DS that there's hope for MICHAEL! CONGRATS on the 1lb loss

TEENSY, I mentioned the fish to ELI and even he couldn't imagine it. What kind of fish is it that you can? You'll have to take a pic of all your canning one day to post, I'm impressed without even seeing it!! I can't imagine your DS living with 4 others and his 25% of the room being as such. I'm hoping once he goes to college he gets better-they better hope the same or whoever he gets as a roommate will NOT be happy!

TRISH, glad to hear SETH is feeling better. What's a HEB store? Never heard about them.

HEART, I can just imagine BOOGIES face as he got caught in the act! Hope you enjoy your class today. I think we must of had the same devil-laced ice cream - mine jumped right in my stomach! Better luck for us today!!!

BOB, will talk to you tomorrow. Sent an APB out to ROSALIE for you!

PANCHO, good luck with the garage sale - hope you sell it all. Let us know how it went! Make your kids neat freaks while you can, otherwise you may end up with the reality of my pictures of MICHAEL'S room in your own home!

COUNTRY, glad MICHAEL'S room made you feel a bit better about BRITT'S room See, we always think the grass is greener on the other side

SEF, I hope you're feeling better today and have a wonderful birthday! What are your plans? That's great that you have DS's birthday so close to your own.
Here's a birthday hug!!!!{{{{}}}}}

Okay, I'm outta here for a few. Will check in later!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Debbie
Old 10-10-2003, 10:51 AM   #139  

Friday is finally here!!!! Seems like it's been a long week. No huge plans, just watching the Red River Shootout tomorrow (that would be the Texas/OU football game) or at least until it gets too ugly to stand. OU is #1 and we're #11, what does that tell you? I think I may make that layered Mediterranean dip that I made for the get together. Deb, do you think you can have those pitas here by tomorrow at 2??? Just kidding, I'll probably use WW tortilla chips.

I made it through last week-end staying legal. I really am going to try for 2 in a row. At boot camp, Jordan says they have a saying, "Chow to Chow, Sunday to Sunday". Hey, whatever gets you through.

Gotta run. Jordan said we could send cough drops and stamps, so I'm off to get that mailed. I have to send enough cough crops for 60-80 boys so I bought 6 large bags this morning at Wal-Mart on my way to work. This should be interesting.

I'll try to check in later, if not, have a great week-end everybody!!!

Go Texas, Beat OU!!!!!!

Trish
Old 10-10-2003, 10:59 AM   #140  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Good morning

I have a few minutes before I have to take BJ to work so I thought I would pop in and say howdy! It's blah outside. Better than all the rain we got yesterday.

Monet...I have not picked up my bow in a while. I really need to. Every time I think I might something comes up. I'm gonna attach a little tag for you and all of us at the bottom of this post....LOL

Deb...when Britt saw your son's room, she was like see mom its a kid thing. WTG getting all the temptations out of the house. I feed the chips to Zachary last night so I would stay out of them...Bad I know...I had to have just a few first.

Trish...you can do it! Two legal weekends coming up.

Happy Birthday Sef!!!! I hope your headache is long gone!

Julia...when I first used to make the brown rice I had to use chicken broth. But now it's okay just to cook it. I LOVE the bastmati rice. Krogers sells a 10 pound bag for like 5 something. It's the only place in my neck of the woods I can find it. I know there is a brown one also but I haven't found that one yet.

Teensy....I sure hope so. It's like most of me is a good size...it's just those few areas that drive me batty and let me know that there is still some I could lose.

That boy of mine refuses to wake up...agh...he's gonna find himself calling in if he doesn't get to moving.

Love,
Crystle
Old 10-10-2003, 11:22 AM   #141  

Good Friday morning:

Why am I here instead of at my yard sale, you may ask????? Well, the weather people have been calling for a chance of rain for the past week, and every day it has been sunny. Well today, of all days, I wake up to pouring rain. If we didn't need the rain so terribly bad, I'd probably be upset, but we do. We will probably have the sale tomorrow & Sunday or maybe even next weekend if it rains tomorrow (which they say is a possibility in the afternoon). My DD is off school today (some sort of teacher's convention), so we will probably sit around and be lazy today....ahhh, that sounds good!

If I had a stone, I may even attempt to make those pitas. I did manage to make 4 loaves of zucchini bread to freeze though.

Teensy: What is DH hunting for; what season is it? I only have the new book. From what I understand, the old book is mostly a recipe book with some SB info. in it. I learned more from this site and Rizza's (sp?) site than I did the book. I have so many books about the bad effects of sugar that I read whenever I can to remind me how bad it is. It can suppress the immune system and cause you to be sick more. That s/b incentive enough for me this time of year when I am bound to be taking care of my share of sick kids. Oh, a question for you....when a recipe (such as your walnut, apple bread) calls for sifted flour, how important is it to sift it? I don't have a flour sifter, so I never do. Could that drastically change the outcome of the recipe. I tend to take a lot of shortcuts when I cook, and don't claim to be the best cook at that .

Ken: I think it was Gator that posted a really quick and simple way to eat the brown rice. I am keeping it in the back of my head for a cold day when I have nothing planned for lunch. She said to mix some cream of chicken, chicken broth and white meat chicken (she said canned)....I think I'd use fresh shredded and mix it with the rice. I think I'd cook the rice with the broth vs water, and then add the soup, chicken and maybe some cheese. I think this would be quick and yummy, and you'd almost always have those ingredients at hand. If someone else posted this...sorry. I thought it was Gator since she is always so darn busy.....how could she possibly find time to eat?

Sef: HAPPY BIRTHDAY....what a terrible way to welcome it with that stubborn headache. I'm glad it is finally on its way out of there. Have a great day.

Monet: Have a great OP day .

Deb: Can you swim year round there, or is your sister's pool heated? I'd be a nervous wreck having a pool with all those kids. I'm sure it is gated and all, but I tend to worry about that. You hear of kids drowning, almost on a daily basis here in Phoenix. Have you made those pitas prior to having a stone to cook them on; how much does it change the outcome???

Well, better go spend some time with the kiddos!

Have a great day. You'll probably see me pop in a few times today since we are home!

Nat
Old 10-10-2003, 11:24 AM   #142  

OOOOOPS, forgot to ask a question: You can probably answer this, Deb.

Isn't corn starch a no-no? I thought I read or heard somewhere to avoid it when you can. I have seen a few recipes that I could alter but they call for powdered sugar. My mom told me that she saw a recipe that you can mix splenda with corn starch in a blender to make powdered sugar! Please let me know what the rule is for it.

Thanks gals!

Nat
Old 10-10-2003, 11:42 AM   #143  

Happy, Happy Birthday, Sef Hope your have a marvelous day.

Last edited by YellowRose; 10-10-2003 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:53 AM   #144  
Goddess

Thumbs down Good Friday Morning!

Hello all!

This will be a quickie today. I did want to pop in to send a big
Happy Birthday to SEF! I hope you have a wonderful day!!!!!

Deb--Go swimming and enjoy!!!!!! I mean why bother to lose all the weight if we are going to still "see" ourselves as unacceptable. There is no law that says a woman must have a flawless body. You are beautiful as you are! The hardest thing is learning to be comfortable in our own bodies!!!!!

OK--enough pontificating for today!

Have a great day everyone!

Susan
Old 10-10-2003, 02:29 PM   #145  
sef

HiedieHo All!

Miserbale rainy day. Did go swimming though. They hold class rain or shine, except lightning. Also had a meeting with trainer. There are many things that at this point I can't do. She recommneded the recliner bike and (I can't remember what it's called) a thing that you stand on and sort of pedal away. I can't use the treadmill with my neuropathy I'm liable to be sent sailing across the room! Also going to do the sit to be fit group. I'll be a lean mean fighting wreck! Could not do much even in swimming as I am really aching! Probably the weather and the nature of the beast.

When I came home there was a lovely oink and lavender bouquet for me. DS got it for me in my favorite colors. Also got a card from DD, she'll probably call later.

MONET: How original you are. Thank you!

DEB: Thanks for good wishes. Plans? Swim, make supper, and supposed to go to concert in the park. But it is raining so guess we'll cross that off. Take some of your own advice. You are what you set in your mind. Just think "I look pretty good for a broad that's lost a lot of weight!" Get out there and swim!!!! Once you're in the water no one can tell what you look like!

COUNTRY: If you miss the rain I know where it is!!! Thanks for wishes.

PANCHO: Thank you. Headache was gone but keeps coming back, right now just nagging nothing to write home about.

YELLOWROSE & FILLISE: Thank you!

Going to get the roast in the oven. I love pork roast and there was a .99 sale.

Will try to check in later.

Take care, Shirley
Old 10-10-2003, 02:30 PM   #146  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

For those wondering, I didn't eat the potatoes! Man, the exercise class yesterday was intense! I was drenched in sweat and could feel it working. I just knew I would be sore today, but I'm not. I WAS going to do my WATP tape, but decided against it. The last time I did the 3 mile after an intense workout, I ended up getting so sore I could hardly walk. So taking the day off. I'm putting my yard sale off until next week. Me and hubby are going to fix the kitchen this weekend. But since I'm not doing the yard sale early, I'm going to my exercise class at 8 am. I love the way the girl does the class, you do aerobics, step, weights, and you mix it all up so that you're constantly doing something. Then you do some floor exercises at the end. I got my friend to go with me yesterday. She couldn't quite keep up with the step and a couple of moves, but I told her the more she does it, the better her endurance will get. So I'm glad to get a buddy to go with me. Who knows, maybe she'll eventually give SB a try. She's the one I told you about- thinks hardly eating will make her lose alot of weight. Okay, well I stepped on the scale, thinking it might slightly be off 180 because of the intense workout and I stayed OP- it was! I'm at 179 this morning. 1 more to go before I'm back at my low. With us doing the kitchen, we're not going to be able to cook. I will stay OP this weekend, I can do this. Why are the weekends always the hardest?

BOB- everyone has a weakness. I love chocolate, cake, ice cream, pies-you get the pic. Hubby can eat a 13.5 oz bag of Doritos at one sitting! They don't phase me. But bring in some of the above, and I'm like a vulture!
Old 10-10-2003, 03:22 PM   #147  

Good Morning!

Well, dh got off about 30 minutes ago. They will get up there in about 3 hours. Deer season doesn't open until morning so they will just set up camp today. Turned cold last night, so hope they stay warm. The cooler weather is better for the hunting too. Especially if they get one. The heat can spoil the meat, so it is nice to have cold days and nights.

Not doing much, I feel sort of at a loss....don't have anything planned. Had an intense work out this morning. Put a new #25 resistance band on, and my arms are really feeling it. Hope it will get some more weight off. Got in 5 days this week, so I am happy with that. Would like to hit my goal by Christmas, that is 12 pounds more to go. But it has really slowed down, so I don't know.

I should get busy and get my Christmas loafs made and froze. I had to pick all of the squash this morning since all of the plants froze last night. I am going to make individual Zucchini Loafs, and Apple Walnut Loafs for my "Goodie Bags." We do these for the family members that we don't buy gifts for. Aunt's, Uncle's, Neighbor's, and Friend's. Just a little something.

On to replies............

Monet-- I have a recipe for Broccoli Chowder, and that is what I do too. It really helps to thicken it up. I could use some of that today, it froze here this morning. Lost my zucchini, and summer squash. Had the tomatoes covered, so they survived. Nope, I am not going to clean at all today.....I am playing on the computer for awhile. It's too cold out to do anything out side.

Sef-- Happy Birthday. Hope your headache is gone so you may enjoy your special day!!

Deb--What we can is Rainbow Trout and Silver's, (Bluebacks, some people call them.) My son made foreman on his boat, hope that he tries a little harder to be neater, since he is going to be in charge!!

Trish-- Glad you finally heard from Jordan. Glad everything is okay.

County-- I think that we probably will always have areas that we are not happy with. I still have 12 pounds to go, but I know that the areas that are bothering me will not be affected by 12 pounds!!

Pancho-- Deer season opens tomorrow morning. They left this morning to get camp set up.It is open for one week, then it closes for one week for Elk season, then deer is open for another week. It turned cold here last night, so it might be good hunting for them. I know personally how sugar can affect a person. I haven't had any allergy symptoms or had a cold since I started PP over two years ago. As for the flour, I really don't know. I wouldn't worry about it too much for the Apple Walnut Loaf. It is not like it is supposed to be light and fluffy. I think it will be fine. Just give your dry ingredients a mixing before you put them with the wet ingredients.

Heart-- WTG, sound like fun. Wish I had some classes somewhere close to me. We are out in the boonies so nothing is close. Just keep encouraging your friend. That's a definite help to us all. And yes, you can stay OP again this weekend.

Tootles.......
Old 10-10-2003, 04:07 PM   #148  

Howdy Everyone

Sorry that I have been MIA for so long. I've been busy, busy, busy. For the whole of September I was working out of town and staying in a hotel. I would just come home for weekends, unpack, do laundry and a few chores and some running around then it was time to take off again. I would leave Sunday afternoon and come home Friday evenings. For this month I am staying at home but have to travel for about an hour each way each day. I'm usually ready to hit the sack about 9-10 p.m. which is very early for me as I usually like to be up until after midnight. I didn't realize that sitting at a desk all day could be so tiring. It must be all that brain power that I am using! It's just not used to all this work. . The eating has been bad. I started off with good intentions but lost the will power fairly quickly after eating almost all meals in restaurants. The first few weeks I didn't gain anything although I deserved to but this last week I am up about four pounds from my lowest. It's too darn bad as I was just beginning to lose again after being stalled for so long. I am home early to-day and it is a long weekend (Thangsgiving up in this neck of the woods) and will do my best to stay op. I'll be going to my daughter's on Sunday for turkey dinner. The bird is in my fridge defrosting and I have to get it up to my dd Sunday morning. She is away for a couple of days and won't be home until Sunday morning but she wanted to have the dinner at her place and that is fine with me. I'll be making a cole-slaw salad and I plan on preparing some squash for baking and take that with me and pop it in the oven when I get there. We will be having a spiced rice with it but I will probably not eat any. I need to keep away from those starchy carbs as much as possible. Had darn too many lately.

I do skim the posts once in a while but haven't had the time to get on here and post. I see that the board is really hopping and that we have quite a few new members. Hopefully I can get to know more of you sometime soon. I've been doing SB for about 4 years. I've lost a total of 45 pounds. It's been a slow process but even when I haven't been losing I have usually been able to maintain. So I just have to watch that things don't get out of hand now.

BOB - So sorry to hear about Skeeter. I know you must be really suffering through the loss and I feel for you. Thanks for thinking of me.

Deb - How the heck did you get those pitas to raise up like that? And I thought you couldn't cook. I think you have been holding out on us. .

Sef - HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Hope your headache is better.

Sorry I can't 'talk' to you all. There's so many posts to read but it is good to see the board is busy. I've got about another 6 weeks at this job then I will be retiring again and then hopefully will have more time.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Bye for now.

Marie.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:44 PM   #149  

I'm baaaaaack. Just thought I'd check in while youngest DD is down for a nap. She is screaming at the top of her lungs right now, but I'm sure she will fall off to sleep soon.

The rain stopped, but it is still very wet out there.

I made the basic brown rice, chicken broth, cream of chicken and shredded chicken soup for lunch this afternoon, and it turned out great. I thought for it being such a basic recipe, it wouldn't be very tasty. Both of my dd's liked it too. I will definately make it again. I cooked the rice with 1 cup of chicken broth and 1 cup of water for 45 minutes. I then added the rest of the can of chicken broth and the cream of chicken and chicken and added some salt & pepper. It hit the spot!

I have two more chicken breast that I will saute with peppers, onions & tomatoes for dinner and eat in tortillas or pitas.

Nothing else new to report!

Sef: I assume you meant pink & lavender roses....I thought for a moment that your ds sent you a pig bouquet Glad your headache cleared up for your special day.

heart: Glad you are enjoying your exercise class. It's nice to have someone to work out with and someone to teach the class that is motivating. I'm sure you will be down to 178 for WIW.

Teensy: If you are already "hurting so good" from your workout, you are going to be one sore puppy tomorrow. "They" say you really shouldn't feel sore from a workout until 24 hours later. That is impressive about your allergy and cold symptoms disappearing once you learned how to treat your body. I am anxious to see how I do this fall/winter. I have only been on SB since May, but did Atkins for March & April.

Rosalie: Welcome back. Enjoy your dinner with DD on Sunday. We look forward to seeing your posts again.

I am sure I will be back in a few hours!!

Have a great afternoon!
Old 10-10-2003, 05:20 PM   #150  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

AFTERNOON EVERY BUDDY!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SEF!!!! Not many people get to go to an AARP meeting for their birthday....you're special!

PANCHO...You can bet that I'll be watching the video shows for you and your escapades!

CRYSTLE...Good going on the RS videos...I've got them all....that's it...don't expect more...I've got them and they are all safe in the original plastic just like I bought them.....years ago!

ROSALIE..... I WAS STARTING TO WORRY ABOUT YOU!!! Good to see you back...NOW STAY HERE!!

TEENSY...what kind of fish do you put in there? Would salmon work?

LAURIE...I'm right there with you on the habits....you know...the bad ones...I'm totally hooked on CHEESEITS and GOLDFISH!
I can really do some damage on those!

TRISH...I'll be watching the game and pulling for your team...SUSAN says that I always have to pull for the team that plays AUBURN, cause when I pull for AUBURN, THEY LOSE!
SO...

DEB....I've got this visual of you in one of those early 1900's bathing suits....You know the ones.....complete with stockings and a hat!

I think I've got everyone...if I did miss anyone...

GO VOLS~~~~~~ BEAT THEM DAWGS!!!!

BOB
Closed Thread