Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: Which below would you consider your occupation to fall under? Can check more than 1
Professional 15 53.57%
White Collar 4 14.29%
Blue Collar 1 3.57%
Student 0 0%
Homemaker/SAHM 10 35.71%
Retired 1 3.57%
Unemployed 1 3.57%
Self-employed 3 10.71%
Part-time 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 04:09 PM   #76  

Talking checking in.

Good afternoon to all.....
Just waqnted to check in and see how everyone did on WIW. I am down one lb from last week... but I think that lb has been lost & gained over a million times!!!!

To all that asked... we are moving wehn house sells.... DH wants to live in the log cabin that is already on the property... but not to sure about that.... More interested in waiting until house is built!!!! BUT, if our house sells quickly... that is waht we will be doing.......

DEB - What is going on with you ... and your not sleeping pattern????? gosh that is so exhausting.....! Got too much on your mind?? Have you ever taken / tried MELATONIN???? I take it religously every night.... it (naturally) helps you sleep!!! Might want to look into it!!! I bet you would have a ball at my garage sale.... I AM GETTING RID OF A TON OF REALLY COOL STUFF,,,,,, ALONG WITH SOME JUNK!!!!! Ever since little lilybug came into our lives..... Rob & I seem to be DECLUTTERING..... And getting rid of a bunch of frivoulous stuff!!!! A good thing....! With all the STUFF we have you would think that we have been married 200 years instead of 2.5!!!!!!!!!!!

superdave - congrats on the 2 lb.... I too have a wonderful relationship with my dad.... WILL ALWAYS BE A DADDYS GIRL!!!! You are special to your dd ....don't ever change that...

jack-k! You are so pretty!!! Can see where your DD gets her good looks too..... Thansk for sharing your pic....! I was thinking about trying to find a worst (biggest) and best (thinnest) pic to post of me..... we'll see....!!!! Thoise 3 lb's must be water wt due to TOM.... don't sweat it.... they will be gone before you know it!!!! Had to laugh at your TMI comment.... get in a good bowl of Uncle sams cereal.... and you shouldn't have a problem.....!!lol

chrisd- sooooooooo glad to hear DS is doing better!!!!! that deserves a happy dance~~~~~ yahoo!!!! Good luck to you on getting in that exercise!!!! sure wish I had your motivation!!! I am over here worrying about when I can be lazy instead of when I can get in some exercise.... arg......

jackie-o - are you a psychologist??? that was my major in college..... but never did anything with it........ will be interested to hear about dr.p's book!!! I really like him!!!

Libra - I see dr. p's q about deceiding to become fat as "it is your choice as to what goes into your mouth" goes back to hiim saying you have a choice!!!!! Congrats on the lb's ... I too lost, but it is the same lb that keeps coming & going...... arg.... lets make a commit ment to keep those lb's off once they are gone!!!!

pancho at least you realize that you have been a "bad girl" and now are back on track.... you will have those few lbs gone in no time....!!!! good luck at your mom's night out!!!! Are the mom's any better about your WOE??? I remember you saying something abou them not being very supportive.... that was you .... wasn't it???? I don't know about the grapes/raisins debate... I will be interested to hear!!! p.s..... what ADORABLE little girls you have....!

Quilter - don't stay away so long... glad to hear you are getting your ibs under control... my mom struggles with it too... i know it can be a pain in the arse (no pun intended...) congrats on staying op while not on the board... WTG getting a leg up on Christmas... I, wait until it is on top of me before I start thinking about gifts... (guess I spend less that way..... I tend to overbuy!!!!)

Teensy - sorry to hear aobut DH's run in with a deer.... that can be very scary.... GLAD HE IS OK!!!!!! I am a hunter... and the one time my DH hit a deer with me in the truck it made me CRY (I think it was because she was a mommy with her two little babies with her.........).....and it didn't even kill her.... THANK GOODNESS....

MONET - hoping you are feeling better ..... you have been having lots of problems with your belly lately.....? Congrats on getting your friend at work OP..... sounds like she is doing fabulous... THANKS TO YOU!!!!!!!!

HEART - keep that head of yours up.... you will bee back to your self again soon..... WTG on realizing you were cheating... and getting back on track!!!!!

fillise - could you send some of that fall weather to TEXAS???? Sounds fabulous!!!!!

jdawn..... good luck to you on your efforts to lose weight and to conceive....... WHAT A GOAL TO SET!!!!!! You are gonna do great!!!!

gator - wooooooooo w you are a busy beaver.... good luck on your speach and french!!!!

WEll..... I started this post at 11:33..... it is now 2:58 and just now finishing..... lol......
posting an e-mail that I got....thought you all might enjoy....
take care... and will try to check in again later......

much love.
ange.
p.s.... congrats to all the losers today1!!!!!!!!

Break Free from Your Food Rut

If you’re trying to lose weight (or just eat healthier), it’s time to climb out of your rut and give some new foods a try.

By Nutricise nutrition expert Stephanie Gillis, M.A.

(Nutricise) — The last time I visited Graceland, I learned that the King and I shared a similar habit. No, I don't use my TV for target practice, and sequinned jumpsuits just aren't me. I was disturbed to learn that what we had in common was actually an eating habit: we're both "streak eaters."

What is a streak eater? It's when you eat the same food or meal day after day after day. According to Priscilla, Elvis ate meatloaf for dinner every night for 8 months. I once ate the same dessert (Weight Watcher's chocolate chip ice cream) every night for 14 months straight. If Elvis was the king, I was the queen of food ruts.

Now, streak eating isn't the worst thing you can do to your body (Elvis' fried banana-and-butter sandwich wins that one hands down). But if you're trying to lose weight or eat healthier, then it's time to climb out of that food rut.

What's the problem with eating the same foods every day? Boring your poor taste buds to death causes them to crave more food because they can't get no satisfaction. More food equals more calories, which equals larger jumpsuits.

Even when it comes to healthy foods, eating the same ones every day means that you're shortchanging yourself nutritionally. Having cereal and a banana for breakfast is great, but not if you have it every day. Good health comes from eating a wide variety of foods because you need a wide array of nutrients to be healthy. If you're wondering if you can replace those missing nutrients with supplements, the answer is no. Research shows it's not just vitamins and minerals that help prevent disease, it's also the phytochemicals (translation: chemicals from plants, not pills) found only in fruits and vegetables.

How do you know if you've fallen into a food rut? If you've been eating the same food or meal every day for more than a month, then you've attained streak status. Busting out of a food groove may not be easy, but it is simple. Start slowly. Changing a well-established eating habit overnight usually doesn't last long. Set a goal of making one change a week. So have your cereal and banana six days a week and on the seventh day take a rest. After two or three weeks, you might look forward to your day off. At that point, you're ready to increase the number of streak-free days to two a week. Your food rut is officially over once you're eating new foods three or four times a week. You don't need to say good-bye forever to your favorite foods; you just need to add some variety.

Since that Graceland tour, I've become a recovering streak eater. Yes, sometimes I miss the simplicity and comfort of eating my Weight Watcher's dessert every night, but I know by mixing some new foods in with the old I'm doing my body good.

Stephanie Gillis, M.A., is a nutritionist and writer who has worked with adults and children of all ages. She specializes in sports nutrition and her clients include athletes from a variety of professional teams including the Los Angeles Kings, Indiana Pacers, Philadelphia Flyers and Boston Bruins. Click here for more information on Nutricise's One-on-One Nutritional Counseling and Weight Loss Program.

p.s..... I tend to STREAK EAT my breakfast!!!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 04:23 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good Afternoon,

Didn't think I'd ever get back on here. Got pretty busy for awhile.

Have lots of errands tonite, card shop, Home depot, gas, grocery. Somewhere in there I have to walk and work out and make pizza dough for tomorrow's dinner.

Pancho, good planning on taking the bread to the Mom's night out. Don't know the answer on the raisens, other dried fuit is legal (I think). At least you have some room to be naughty, but just don't let it get out of hand. That nasty wt has a way of creeping right back on us.

Libra, I think we are the hardest person on ourselves. I'm sure everyone would have negative things to say. Heck even after losing 100 lbs, I still don't have nice things to say to myself.

Country, thank you for the sweet words. As I was telling Deb, my smile is so bad (years of thumb sucking) so I always try to fake one and it always comes out worse. Unfortunately DD favors me and suffers with wt problems too. I wish she would do something, but you can't make someone lose wt.

TV, glad to hear from you again. Sounds like you are keeping those boys in line. Gotta be tough.

Ange, just wait to that little girls gets bigger and you have all those toys. They make for good yard sales. Congrats on that 1 lb. We all are right there with you on losing and regaining. Good article. I don't think I streak eat.

Have a great evening.

Jackie
Old 09-24-2003, 05:01 PM   #78  

Jack K- There are so many good sugarbusters friendly restaurants here in the N.O. My fave places for ww pizza are Rocky's and Louisiana Pizza Kitchen. YUM YUM. We are definitely the city known for eating....just have a good plan in mind before you come. If not, it is like relapse central!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 05:43 PM   #79  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

GOOD GAWD IT'S HOT AS A THREE PECKERD GOAT OVER HERE ON THE WEST COAST OF FLA TODAY!!! There is NO air stirring at all!

TV....I knew you'd be back JUST IN TIME FOR THE NEW TV SEASON!!! I'm so glad my TV buddy is back...I've missed you!
Glad you're Mom finally saw the light! She'll be so much better off without him! AND the I told you so's don't have to be said, she knows without you even muttering a word!

Did ANYONE catch the new show NCIS last night? It is definately the BIG HIT of the NEW SEASON!!!

BB4 FINALE TONIGHT!!!! DON'T MISS IT!!!!

JACKIE....OH...MY...GAWD!!!! You really do exist!!!!! Both of you are very pretty! Good to put a face with the typing!

CHRIS.....OH.....MY.....GAWD!!!! to you too ....and new little BUC FAN!!! Good luck!
Now, I've stayed out of this diagnosis thing with your little boy.
I now have to put my two cents worth in! I think it's (and excuse me if this isn't spelled right) impetigo....kids get it from the dirt and there is a medicine that isn't really attractive, but it works....it's purple and your Doc will have to write a script for it, but I PROMISE it will clear it up!

I also want to get the DR PHIL book. His plan doesn't endorse any one diet...that's your choice, but his focus is on the inner problem that led you to and keeps you overweight. I've been watching his show on this from the beginning, and I admire him for what he's doing. I don't look at it as his trying to make money off his book at all. Everything that he said to those people yesterday was the gospel! I know....my Doc has said them to me.
There is a book available in the self help section of book stores
entitled....It's NOT what your eating, it's WHAT'S eating you!
IF you can get it at your local library, get it and read it...it will open your eyes to a lot of things!

Sorry that I can't get to everyone today...BUT, I'll try to do that another time....IN THE MEANTIME.....

BOB
Old 09-24-2003, 05:44 PM   #80  

Default good & bad.....

unfortunatly my high & low..... were within a two year frame period........
the first three pics will be the GOOD..... and the last will be the BAD...... (it is on purpose.. that I am sending three good and one bad!!! )

so, here goes.....
Old 09-24-2003, 05:49 PM   #81  

Default don't know what I am doing....

ok, so you need a magnifying glass to see that one... will try harder on the next post... not sure what I did wrong....!
the next two are at my wedding.....!
Old 09-24-2003, 05:50 PM   #82  

Default me & hubby.

at wedding....!
Old 09-24-2003, 05:51 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Nice pics of your kids Poncho! And Jack-k- it's nice to put a face with the posts. You look great.

Okay, I'm feeling a bit bummed. Actually, I've been in a mental rut for awhile now. Daughter didn't help either- a weight loss commercial just came on and she was like "hey, Mama..." We had a long discussion and I got out the pics of me 2 years ago and she asked who that was- I told her it was me and to lay off the comments about my weight. She's been making comments here lately since hanging around with anorexic Christy. It's been really hurting my feelings and I let her know it today. I already have poor self image without my DD adding to it. I hope tomorrow I will feel better mentally. I haven't exercised since Friday! I just feel blah. I'll get back in the swing of things. At least I'm eating legal, but too much. Not much else to report, hope everyone had a good WIW. I'm still puffy so I'm not stepping on the scales and adding to the "funk" I'm in.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:55 PM   #84  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Hey All

LAUREN is across the street, MICHAEL in the family room, so for the moment I'm going to try and get in some replies before I hear the usual cry for the compter...

JACKIEO, you'll have to fill us in on some of the other interesting things you read in the Dr. Phil book. I get loads of books from the library about dieting, weight, etc. just to see what people say. Nothing is ever new really, but sometimes the way the words are put makes that light bulb go off in the old noggin

CHRIS, glad to hear DOMINIC is feeling better today, I'm sure this is a relief, for you AND him! LOL At least you didn't chalk my faux pa up to age! Darn, I wish I could have a work out like yesterday every day - there'd surely be a smile on my face on a daily basis But alas, most days it's walking Send me the pic of DS and I'll try to crop it and return it to you to post.

JACKK, again, thanks for the pic. For some reason, when you post it on the computer it's not as good an image as what you actually see before posting it. Oh well Don't worry about those 3lbs, you know with all you've been doing it's not a fat gain, probably will lose it just as mysteriously as you gained it.

PANCHO, the reason between the grapes being okay and the raisins are not are due to the sugar concentrate. A serving of grapes would be about 1 cup/92 grams, the GI for grapes is about 46 and it has almost a 15% sugar count-not even a gram of fiber. Raisins, a .5 ounce serving/14 grams has 42 calories, a little over 8 grams of sugar and a GI of 64. Now, if you were to ask me, I'd say, if you wanted to eat that .5 ounce serving, which is just about 25 raisins and it was once in a while, I don't think it would kill you, like if you wanted to put them in a cookie, or something of the sort. BUT, if you were looking to fill up your tummy, I'd say 1 cup of grapes would be more filling than 25 little raisins - that tiny box, heck, I can down the raisins and the box in one shot! Not sure if this helps, but I try

LIBRA, if I was asked when I decided to become fat I would have to say it was unconsciously in vitro.

COUNTRY, you have all rights to be dragging even though you aren't sick like me - you've been putting in major miles for a while! I don't know if I'll be able to be so good tomorrow, we'll have to see.

DAVE, will have to see if the library has gotten in the copy of that book yet-let us know what you find interesting in it.

TV, glad to see your post Sounds like DM came to her senses. Thank goodness it didn't take her years and years. I hope it doesn't get too messy. Can it be anulled? Sounds like the kids are doing well, despite the trials and tribulations of growing up. You'll get through it, puberty and all-at least that's what I keep telling myself with my teenagers!!!

ANGE, CONGRATS on your loss this week, even if you lost and gained the same one over and over, a loss is a loss, so take it and run...Never have taken melatonim. I'm usually not so bad but once I get in to a rut like this it takes me some time to get out of it. I'm hoping by staying up all day today and in to the evening that I'll sleep like a dead person tonight, if I don't, I'm going to be in major trouble tomorrow. Wish I could come to your garage sale too - darn it. Oh, I'm definitely a streak eater - thanks for posting that, it had my name written all over it! Okay, just saw your pics - girl, you are beautiful! What gorgeous pictures - hey, DH is a hunk too! THanks for posting them - as always, it's so nice to put a name and a face together. Need to get them on the PHOTO ALBUM BOARD as well so they can be kept in our archives. Can you get the other pic bigger????

BOB, I know I won't be calling you tonight!! Three peckered goat, girl, they have some mighty strange animals from where you came from!!!

HEART, do I need to come over there and slap you around a bit to get you out of that funk? I think you need a trip to the DD-tell DH to send you for Xmas!!!!

Okay, my time is up, MICHAEL just came in here, perfect timing!

Will check in later or tomorrow. GOing to be watching BB4 tonight - will root for JUN instead of that nasty ALLISON

Toodles

Debbie
Old 09-24-2003, 05:56 PM   #85  

Default ok............. don't laugh!!!!!

This would be me at my BIGGEST.......! Four days before dd was born!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 05:56 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Everyone keeps talking about Dr.Phil and this weight loss thing he's doing! Even my grandparents! Hmmm... maybe I'll have to tune in tomorrow and see what all the hype is about, might even learn something,lol.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:08 PM   #87  

Default one more try....

see what happens when you try to go off of memory.... I thought the pics had to be 100 pixels instead of 500....lol here is the one that you needed a magnifying glass to see......
Gosh, now that I have dominated the board with my pics......! sorry!!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 07:21 PM   #88  

Hello all:

Marty brought an overcast day, but no rain. I'll take this overcast to the sunny days we've been having anyday! I don't think it broke 85 degrees today! I've done pretty well on my eating today. I ate a slice of zucc. bread on my way to the gym, and then had some yogurt with flax meal when I got home. I had a few Triscuits with Laughing Cow lite cheese and then had a chicken taco salad without the shell for lunch, plus three bites of my dd cheese crisp (I know....).

angehaley - glad I got on today to see your photo album . You made a pretty bride, and the "biggest" picture of you doesn't count...you have to find one to send when you were big and NOT pregnant (ha). As far as the moms, I haven't really done much, but don't expect much support tomorrow night, especially since it is a dessert gala. I don't mind though. If they want to pick me apart for doing so well, it is only due to their own insecurities.

JackK: That weight does creep up on you and I've been doing pretty lousy, so I'll use tomorrow nite to test my willpower that I once had soooo much of. I will eat a big dinner before I go, and bring my own little dessert, and s/b fine.

heart: Why do kids start so early with the weight stuff? Maybe you should limit how much time your daughter spends with this woman if she rubs off on her like that. Although, it's everywhere...on t.v., magazines, etc....Sex will sell anything. I was looking at a magazine the other day, and my 5-year old asked my why I was looking at it when all it was was "fancy people." Try not to let it get to you, and take advantage of this opportunity to teach your daughter that outer appearances don't tell us about the person inside, and what is inside is the stuff that really matters. She would be proud of your weight loss and your continued efforts if she were old enough to understand. Cheer up.....you've made great strides.

Deb: Thanks for the info. on the raisins. It was pretty much out of curiosity, as I prefer grapes to raisins anyway.

Well, I better go get a few things done around here, and try not to eat anything bad before dinner.

Take care all!
Nat
Old 09-24-2003, 07:34 PM   #89  

Good evening all--- WIW was not good to me at all.....I am up two back to 166, now what is that about?? I did weigh in alot earlier than I normally do because I had to get going this morning. Maybe tomorrow will be better, hope so.

We took a trip down to my oldest son's place to pick up youngest son's pickup, so that he would have something to drive after hitting the deer. Don't really know why he needed it, he is leaving Saturday anyway. Oh well, guess he just didn't want to feel stranded at the folks.....haha.

Deb-- It was my son that hit the deer. He had gone into town to pick up something.....and hit it on the way home. He is leaving Saturday to go back to the ship. They start on loading their supplies on Monday morning and he has to attend a meeting Sunday afternoon. It is going to be so quiet around here again. I meant he wasn't going to do anything with the car. He has his pickup to drive, so he will think about what he is going to do with the car. It is a 1985 Honda Civic, which he bought from his brother. It has a lot of miles on it, but runs great. Good for running around because we are out in the boonies, so it gets good gas milage. Hope that you get some sleep tonight. Too many days like this will wear you out completely.

Quilter-- Nice to see you again. Sounds like you have had plenty to keep you busy. So have you been able to get the IBS under control??

JackieO-- Glad to hear that things are going better for you. I have heard good things about Dr Phil's book, those that like him anyway. I don't watch him so I have no opinion one way or the other.

Chrisd-- So glad that DS is on the road to recovery. Guess it just had to run it's course, as the Dr said. Now you can get back on track!

Jack-k-- Believe it or not, you are just as I pictured you, a very beautiful woman! And you have a gorgeous daughter. Just before I started SB, I gained 6 pounds for no reason, I was so pissed. I ended up doing the Atkin's fat fast, and lost it, but it was not worth what I had to go through for those 10 days. Just drink lots of water, and keep doing what you are doing....it will go away. I am sure it is fluid retention. Hang in there.

Pancho-- The Mom's night out sounds like a great idea. Wish I had one of those when my boys were little. Could have saved me a few grey hairs! lol. Have a good time.

Libra-- We are here to listen anytime you need us. That is what makes this such a great board to come to. You people have made a big difference in my weight loss journey, and in my life. I hope that I can help others as you people have helped me!!

TV-- WELCOME back. Hope you will join us more often now. Sounds like the boy's are enjoying the start of the school year.

Ange-- Glad to hear that you are down this week, alas.....I am not. But it will pass I am sure. Maybe getting close to TOM, just don't know these days when he is going to decide to show up. Used to be very regular, but am getting older...... It was my youngest son that hit the deer, not my hubby. Yes, it is sad to see them laying along side the road. I feed apples to them during the winter. We usually get a line of them coming down the road about the same time everyday. Hubby bought some pea pellets last years. They loved that!! And what a sight to see, 3 pm every day there would be about 7 of them coming single file down the middle of the road to our lot so they could eat.

Well gang, hope to see you all later tonight......
Old 09-24-2003, 08:15 PM   #90  
Bustin' Buddy

Hey everyone!

Sorry I've been a stranger again. I promise to come back on starting today. I've been doing really bad with the eating so I have to come back here!

GATOR: Are you coming to the LSU/FLORIDA game? Let me know so that we can make plans to meet up.

JACKIEO: I see that you are from New Orleans - I'm from Thibodaux. Are you new to the board? Have I seen you before? I'm in and out so much that I lose track! haha! Hope to get to know you better!!

Bye for now everyone! I miss you!

Missy
Closed Thread