Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: Which below would you consider your occupation to fall under? Can check more than 1
Professional 15 53.57%
White Collar 4 14.29%
Blue Collar 1 3.57%
Student 0 0%
Homemaker/SAHM 10 35.71%
Retired 1 3.57%
Unemployed 1 3.57%
Self-employed 3 10.71%
Part-time 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 01:05 PM   #16  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

THIS POST BY SLAPPY WAS IN ANOTHER AREA:

Hello All!

I am new to this site. I have been contemplating starting the SB or Atkins for some time now. Can't really figure out which one would be best except that SB has alot more food choices. I am still confused after reading the book about meal choices, serving sizes, etc... I have read Montignac's book a while ago and found it confusing as well. Can anybody help with this problem? I have been through the discussion board and still don't really know what to do.

Was wondering...I live in Canada and was trying to find a suitable bread to have. I have been eating dempster's 100% ww with 1.9 g sugars/serving and 4 or 5 g fibre. Would this be a suitable bread? Sugars are listed in the ingredients but I am confused
Old 09-22-2003, 01:26 PM   #17  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Just spent over an hour on the phone with Lexmark-got it fixed, at least for now.

WOOD, you're doing great! Enjoy the wedding and yourself!

CHRIS, sorry to hear DS is still feeling icky-at least the attitude is starting to improve. I guess it's a man thing, no matter what the age! Is he at least eating a bit more now? Did you get my message-sorry about that, couldn't call you back at the store, couldn't get a signal. Sorry to hear that other store is worse - you def. need a trip to Tampa! ****, why not just come down to Miami?

JEC, thanks for posting that picture, it's nice to put a name with a face, but (I don't mean to offend you) ummm, do you think you could look a little happier to be posting your picture for us? I know there has to be a smile in there, somewhere Good going on the SS pan, I'm sure she'll love her cake. Can't wait to see a picture of your handywork! Too funny about the cat. Have you ever seen the picture of the baby with all the marker on it? I don't have it in my files anymore, but it was a hoot. Sorry to hear about the dog poop - you need to rename him Poopcaso!

Starting to feel more icky

Later!

Debbie
Old 09-22-2003, 02:19 PM   #18  

Got in from work a few minutes ago. Then son arrived for lunch...and he is a talkative sort. I got him out the door and thought I would check in. I need to take a nap, cause I am terribly tired. The boss is irritating me. He cut my hours a good bit, probably in retaliation for my confronting him about that episode last week. I have so few hours now, that it is hardly worth my while to keep working. Not sure what I will do yet, but I am thinking!

Ok, off to grab a cat nap!
Old 09-22-2003, 03:13 PM   #19  

DEB - not a problem about yesterday! My cell phone died anyway! No he isnt eating anything yet! He had a mini pancake this morning. Anything that touches his gums hurts! Poor guy! Im gonna try to get to Tampa on Saturday! I will let you know! I would love to come to miami. Maybe in the near future! Good one on the "poopcaso"...made me laugh!

Chris
Old 09-22-2003, 03:14 PM   #20  

Good Afternoon everyone! I did not get a chance to post this a.m. because they installed a new computer in my office. My old one was totally possessed. I used to call it Linda Blair (from the exorcist).
This weekend was TERRIBLE (food wise). Thanks to Jackie anyway for sending her on plan vibes. Maybe next week, Jackie you could send some vibes to me that would require me getting my jaws stiched closed!!!

I really don't know what the problem is but lately I have been thinking about sugar a lot. I have not craved it up to this point, so I really don't understand it. Why after 2.5 years am I thinking about Krispykreme obsessively???? I have not given in to any of these fantasies but they are taking up too much space in my brain. I have engaged in some other cheats though (movie popcorn, McDonald's french fries, any food category including both carbs and trans fats, etc.... I am about to lose it. I do so well during the week and it all goes to **** on the weekend. What is up with that?? I also exercise 5-6 times a week and days that I weightlift, I am like Wolverine with my appetite. I was telling the peeps I work with and they just laugh at me. They think I am funny, but this is no laughing matter. Last week I ate enough Doritos to sink a small ship and this week I am off to a bad start (yesterday). It seems like you all are so good at staying on plan. Please, if you have any suggestions. I keep griping about losing these last 20 pounds, but it doesn't keep me from breaking off my relationship with Frito Lay........

Monet- Do we work for the same boss??? hang in there...

Jecrites- glad to hear the cat is clean..now only if you could get that color off your sofa. How old is Autumn??

ChrisD- Hope your son feels better soon!!!

Debelli-I was glad to see your post. Hope you are feeling better.

Woodfrogs- San Francisco is BEAUTIFUL. Hope you enjoy the wedding. If you are trying to stay away from alcohol, avoid wine country at all costs!!!!

Pancho- we can beat these weekend binges!! We can!!! I am glad the scale is not up for you, though. I am too afraid to even climb on this week...I guess denial isn't just a river in Egypt!!!

Jack-K- Glad you had a good time at the wedding. With all your exercising the scale will be back down in no time!!!

To everyone else...HELLO..I will chat with you later.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:03 PM   #21  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Good afternoon

Howdy all! The weekend went pretty good. I ate more than I should but whats new. No major cheats. We started our walking week with 5.5 miles. I hope we get in a good walk this evening to add to it.

JackieO....girl you make me smile. I've complained about these last 13 pounds for the last two years. And I too am very intimate with frito-lay. I've been a good girl the last week but I've made up for it with other high fat foods. Hoping you are able to get those last 20 pounds off...and hope to follow suit with my last 13.

Jenn....you have beautiful hair. Glad your pan came in.

ChrisD...I hear ya...I have those days when I get so mad at the scales. I want them to budge and they are set in cement! And off I go on a feed feast. We CAN do this....the weight will come off. Good luck on finding the time to get your exercise in this week. It really will make a big differnce. The lady I walk with barely changed her eating and has lost 10 pounds just from the walking.

Monet...hope you get some rest and fell better soon.

Deb....good to see you back online.

Jack-K....make my scales be nice to me! How I wish it was that easy. Just wanted to tell ya howdy this afternoon.

Woodfrogs...doesn't sound you ate half bad at all. I like scallops..hadn't had them in ages.

Poncho..hey skinny! ((hugzz)).

Howdy and hugs to everybody else...I need to get my lazy hiney off line and get some chores done.

Love,
Crystle
Old 09-22-2003, 04:13 PM   #22  
Goddess

Thumbs down Good afternoon

Hey! Two visits in one day---don't anyone go into shock or anything!

But I was on a website for a local TV station and found this article on low-carb nutrition that I thought you might find interesting!

Low Carb Nutrition

Slappy--You might find the above link very helpful! The author worked at the Atkins institute, but the recomendations seem to be more in line with SB (Sugerbusters OR Southbeach!). The bread you asked about sounds fine. If the first ingredient is Whole Wheat and you are under 4 grams, you should be OK. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Crystle--I beat one set of scales to death with a hairbrush when they got "stuck." Hope you don't have to resort to such extreme measures.

JackieO--I can sympathize with the sudden sugar cravings. I can go a long period of time and have no desire for anything sweet and then all of a sudden it's all I want. Hang in there--try a handful of nuts. It's a suggestion they make in the book and it really does seem to tame a sweet tooth.

Monet--Vindictive bosses are the worst! Enjoy your nap--I had to take one too! Now my sweet kitten is snuggled in my lap. Is you weather as icky as ours today?

Must get back to work!

susan
Old 09-22-2003, 04:20 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

I forgot to ask earlier, I was at the health food store yesterday and decided to buy some chocolate. Don't know why, just thought I might like to have some around. I know you all talk about Lindt bars. But they had 4 or 5 and I couldn't find the % of choc on them anywhere. There was one semi-sweet in a white wrapper which I thought might be the one. I bought another brand that listed 70% choc. Hope that is ok. Threw it in the fridge for when that craving hits if it does.

Been rather quiet here today. Heading home to walk and then grill some pork chops. Feeling more like myself today so should get back to my exercising.

Toni, what happened with the bread? Everyone else raved about it. You're on the ball today already getting in your exercising.

Pancho, isn't it funny when we screw up we are always looking for an excuse. I guess that is part of our insecurities. I thought I was nuts looking for the board. I opened it this morning and then went back to read last weekend's post and then when I came back I couldn't find it. I thought I was losing my mind. I thought I did something to mess it up. Glad I'm not alone. I think I'm moving to Arizona. 107 would suit me just fine.

Deb, It's Madras, oj, cranberry juice and vodka. I justify it by saying it's my fruits

Woodfrogs, Oh how I love those Ritas. I did order some sf margarita mix off the net. Pretty good. Need to re-order. Have fund in SF. I have always wanted to go there.

Chris, WTG on getting day one of that exercise pledge in. Hope DS gets better soon. How about some jello or pudding for DS.

Jecrites, you need to get those markers/crayons that only color on special paper. That was really sweet of that lady to send a gift with the pan. THere are good people in this world. That is a great picture of you. Very pretty.

sLAPPY, Welcome to our board. We have several Candadians here that can help you with products. As far as meal choices, you are only limited to 3 starchy carbs a day (cereal, brown rice, ww pasta, ww bread) other than that veggies and fruits are your normal serving size 1/2 cup. 2-3 fruits a day. The book says to fill only the inside rim of your plate and don't go back for seconds. This is much better than Atkins (in my opnion) as this is something you can do for the rest of your life (where people tire so quickly of Atkins). Ask any questions you may have. Someone will help you. You get lots of support here.

Monet, It doesn't seem that you are too happy with this job. Maybe you should rethink it. Enjoy your nap.

JackieO, When I first started nothing would make me cheat. I was so determined. Then a little cheat would happen and then more, it got harder and harder. I am like you. Fine during the week, but this summer was hard with all our socializing. Then After vacation I knew I had to buckle down and get moving on these last 10 pounds. You just have to find some determination and most of all decide what you really want. To lose that wt or eat those doritos. I think we really need to make a big effort to think before we eat.

Country, as soonas I figure out how to make that scale nice, I'll fix yours. You know there is a little button on there, but then we would only be fooling ourselves.

Fillise, glad to hear from you again today. Just keep it up. I'm off to check out that article.

Have a great evening. See you tomorrow.

Jackie
257/153/145
10-10-01
Old 09-22-2003, 04:54 PM   #24  

Ok, for anyone interested... Here is a pic of the place we stayed at this weekend. The Winshape retreat center is on Berry College's Campus, and operated in cooperation with Chic-Fil-A, via the Cathy family. I believe Truett Cathy attended Berry, but students who work for Chic-Fil-A restaurants can get a nice scholarship to Berry... anyway... the place used to be a dairy farm for the college. As you can see, its gorgeous.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:06 PM   #25  

Just some replies.

Deb, Sorry I didn't smile. I had taken a few before that one and was smiling, but you couldn't see my eyes! Granted in the one I posted they were red, but when I smile they squint up and look like little slits. No I don't think I've seen the picture of the baby with marker on it, I should probably have a few of those myself since the kids like to color on everything except the paper. Hope you start to feel better, being sick is the pits.

Monet, Man you boss just won't quit will he? What a butt. Sorry he's that way, I wish it were easier for you. Some people are just born jerks and he sounds like one of them. What a beautiful place!

JackieO, Autumn is 4. Luckily it was washable markers she had, so a little water and the marks came off the sofa. She has some of those that will only mark on "special" paper, but nooooooooo, she wants to use the real deal and color everything. It could be worse though, it could be a permanant marker or an ink pen and on the white walls where it won't come off at all.

Country, Thank you.

Jack-k, She's got some of those markers that color only on special paper, but the little turkey wants the regular ones! Thank you for your comments on my picture, I hate myself in pictures, I try to stay out of them as much as I can...LOL.

Jenn
Old 09-22-2003, 05:27 PM   #26  

Hello all:

Just got in from running some errands; it's still too hot out there! I just found out that my daughter's class is having "Muffins for Moms" on Friday for the first 30 minutes of class. They are making the muffins for us, so there is no way I can't eat it. I'm gonna have to just eat it and then get on with it. What a way to start the weekend, eh? I will try to feed some of it to my youngest DD, and that way I won't eat it all.

Wood: Have fun in San Francisco. My husband had a seminar there when I was about 8 1/2 months pregnant so I wasn't able to go; it's somewhere I'd love to see. Sounds like you did fine with your eating over the weekend.

chrisd: So sorry to hear about your DS; it does sound like hand, foot, mouth disease. It's gotta be soooo painful. I get canker sores in my mouth due to trauma, such as a head butt by youngest DD, or by biting my cheek, etc, and it really hurts for awhile. I can't imagine having a mounthful. I hope he feels better soon!! I only worked out one day last week since I couldn't take sick DD to the gym with me. I hope to get there 3-4 times this week.

jecrites: How sweet of the lady to send a gift in the cake pan for your daughter. You'll have to leave her some positive feedback. So nice to put a face with a name! I still have to get a picture of myself on here.

Slappy: I would, of course, recommend SB since I am here. I did Atkins and it was not the healthiest or best choice for me. If you do SB, I would recommend the shopper's guide as it tells you the forbidden foods, as well as the foods that are o.k., as well as some name brands too. It is only less than $4, and is an awesome tool. As far as serving sizes....usually the palm of your hand is a good guide, unless it is salad, and then you can have lots of it. You don't want your food to go over the sides of the plate, unless it is salad. As far as bread, if you can't find any without sugar, then make sure that sugar is far down in the ingredients label, and that each slice has less than 3g. I hope you join us and we look forward to hearing from you again.

JackieO: We will beat these weekends. I usually do o.k, just over on legal stuff....I don't know what happened to me this weekend. I heard a story over the weekend about Krispy Kreme doughnuts. They were talking about this so-called "healthy" fruit and yogurt parfait that McDonald's sells. they said it has 380 calories -vs- a Krispy Kreme, which only has 200 calories. Not that we will be indulging in those Krispy Kremes, but now know that if we do it's better than the yogurt .

Country: I made your lasagne this weekend again....yummy! Did you eat breakfast today?????????

Jack: It is so easy to find excuses instead of taking responsibility for our indescretions. But, I am going to start owning up to it; maybe rewarding myself with something (non-food) at the end of a 3-4 week period that I stay 100% OP. Have a great day!

Well, better run get some stuff done around here!

Have a great day!
Old 09-22-2003, 05:51 PM   #27  

Hi, everyone. Sorry I've been MIA for a couple of weeks. It sounds as if most of you are doing great.

Deb, stay well. You're too important to us to get sick!!

Fillise, I'm going to try your soup this weekend, if not before. It sounds great. Would Pinto beans be okay to use instead of black beans?

I saw my doc last week for a check up and told her I'm on SB. She said she had heard SBD was a good program, too. She didn't know much about SB, but when I explained the basics to her, she approved. Now I just have to restart it AGAIN! My motivation seems to be hiding from me.

Today's kind of a bummer day. It would have been my 36th anniversary if I hadn't gotten a divorce in June. I think I'm feeling some anger because things did not have to be this way. He just simply refused to make some simple changes (like staying at home at night!). Oh, well, it's the first day of the rest of my life, right?

Marilyn
Old 09-22-2003, 06:06 PM   #28  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

YO HO HO EVERY BUDDY!!!! BOB'S CHEST IS STILL "A BUSTIN" FROM SATURDAY!!!! IT WAS SO GOOD TO GO TO WORK TODAY AND SEE ALL THE GATOR FANS HANGING THEIR HEADS!!!! BUT.....I was good...I didn't rub it in TOO MUCH!!!!

Anybody watching the DR PHIL weight loss coverage? It's been
good today...they are all in a big house in Beverly Hills and it's so funny to watch them in this environment...
He's visiting the house right now and really giving it to them. They need it...they don't have their heads on straight yet and they need to be put on the line.

DEB...Haven't seen that movie yet, but after reading what you had to say, I might leave it off the list. Glad you've got your chit
together about the computer...hope you're as lucky with the nuke box. Sorry you had an unpleasant day with that guy...BUT, maybe it won't happen again!

JEC...I have to agree...ANOTHER PICTURE PLEASE....AN WITH A SMILE!!!

JACKIE...sorry you weren't your usual self for the wedding...I love a good Madras...GOOD LUCK WITH THE GATORS....You know I'll be pulling for THE CATS!!! OH....yes, you got the right chocolate bar...and they are good too!

CHRIS....What about that dance that Sapp did? Wasn't it cute?
Yes, I agree.....much better game!

TONI....CONGRATS GIRLFRIEND!!! WAY TO GO!!!

PANCHO....You'll do fine with the muffins...maybe they'll be oatmeal!

MONET...your weeked getaway is beautiful...glad you had a good time!

COUNTRY....way to go on the 5.5!!! Can't wait to hear how far you've gone at the end of the week!

JACKIE...get yourself some 70% chocolate for these kinds of moments...it wil help!

WOOD. ...You will definately get some good seafood in SAN FRAN..
be sure to go to the wharf and get some that's just come out of the sea....they'll cook it right there for you! Have a good time!

WELL....gotta scram....

BOB
Old 09-22-2003, 06:15 PM   #29  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Me again...

I grated some cauliflower and put it in with some sauteed onions and fresh garlic....man is that stuff good! I had to add a touch of water when I cooked it because I didn't want to add any more oil. I could honestly eat the whole head. But of course my family might not like it if I didn't share. I have two chickens roasting in the oven with potatoes. They will enjoy the potatoes and I'll enjoy the chicken. If I can just stay away from the skin...like I will.

(((Libra))) Praying for you as you go through this new season in your life. I can only imagine the place you are at now. My divorce came after 10 years and shattered every dream I had had. But God is good and I have an awesome huband now and new dreams. I'm so sorry for your anger and pain.

Poncho...hmmm breakfast...does a couple swigs of soy milk count? Nay....it lasted one day. I just don't want to eat when I first get in from walking. I feel like I'm starvin like Marvin and go straight for my coffee and water. But I still get in three meals worth through out the day.

Monet...how beautiful. Reminds me of a castle.

Susan, hand me that brush! LOL

Jack-K.....ooooo I want some chocolate I don't have the answer on whether it is okay or not. My mom shared this 0 or 1 carb dark chocolate bar with me the other day....it was soooooooo good. I made it last three days. And trust me this was a tiny bar.

Off to check on dinner.

Love,
Crystle
Old 09-22-2003, 06:24 PM   #30  

Deb and BOB, I'll see if I can get another picture with a smile to post this weekend. Sorry y'all didn't like it, but you'll see that when I smile my eyes go to slits. They have always done that, and I always got in trouble for smiling "too big" in my school pictures. I never thought I smiled "too big" but evidentally my mom did.

Jenn
Closed Thread