Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: HOW MANY TIMES, ON AVERAGE, DO YOU FIND YOURSELF EATING FOODS THAT ARE "OFF PLAN?"
NEVER 3 9.38%
1-2 TIMES A WEEK 15 46.88%
3-5 TIMES A WEEK 11 34.38%
DAILY 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2001, 08:13 PM   #121  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERYBUDDY

This will be a quick one...my all time favorite movie is on Turner Classic Movies tonight GONE WITH THE WIND They do it just as it was premiered all those years ago complete with the overture, intermission etc!

Just had to tell you all about my deal of the day! Went to Burdines (dept store like Macys) today to pick up a few of my favorite "float" dresses. I just love these. I come home and OFF COMES THE BRA and on comes the
dress...SO COMFY but anyway I went upstairs to poke around in the housewares dept and found a CALPHALON 3 qt suise/skillet originally sells for $120 for $29.99 less 15% ended up paying $27 and some change! WOO HOO!!!!

Gotta go....Scarlett is about to eat BBQ!

BOB
Old 03-23-2001, 10:07 PM   #122  

Hi Everyone

Just wanted ya'll to know I would be off the board several days vacationing.

Everyone stay true to the plan and remember we do this to be HEALTHY!

Anna
222/138/140
Old 03-23-2001, 10:13 PM   #123  

Evening Everyone!

BOB: I love your bear attachment. It's too cute! I really like Gone With The Wind too but I can't get the channel that it comes on. Watch it for me too

Chris: I sure hope that things will get better with your eyes so that you'll either be able to wear contacts again or you'll be able to get surgury to correct your eyesite. You're right, don't want to mess with the eyes.

Cathy H: Enjoy your friend's Wedding. (Hope the snow doesn't come). It's supposed to get cooler tonight here in Indy too.

Viv: Congratulations on making it to your Florida goal! I hope that you will be able to have a wonderful time on your vacation. Your family is in my prayers!

Frog: Thanks for the information on Exercise and Allergies. Maybe that's why I hyperventilate just thinking about that walk! Just kidding

Gator Gal: Have a great weekend in Daytona. Hope that you and Annette get to meet.

Debstahl: So glad that your septic is fixed. Sorry you had to postpone your trip though. Hope you'll be able to get in on the chat next Thursday.

Melf: So sorry to hear that you are feeling ill. I hope that you will feel much better soon.

Kim: I hope that your friend Jackie gets through all of this ok. I know that it'll probably be a long road ahead of her. She is in my prayers. You are so awsome. I really think it's great that you fixed your ww lasagna. I'll bet that it will taste so much better than the kind you would have bought at the store. You go girl! Oh, Jungle Jim's sounds like the neatest store. I'm getting excited about visiting Trader Joe's.

Margaret: Congratulations on sticking to this woe this week. I don't think one small shrimp dinner will hurt you. After all it was your parents anniversary. I know that you'll get right back on track. That is so funny about TOM. I had a few days in the beginning trying to figure it out too. Don't feel bad. I think we were all there once

Annette: Hope that you'll be able to meet Gail. Good Luck!

Debbie: I hope that your friend Sharon is ok. I know that she is having a really hard time. I went through the same thing last year after 25 years of marriage. She is in my prayers. Also, please be careful with your eyes. It does sound like some kind of allergy though. Thanks for the information on Fat distribution and the health of our bodies. I guess I am in the catagory of "Apple" I look like I'm 12 months pregnant . At least it says that is the easiest to lose. I sure hope so.

Well, I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Cheri
287/275/145
Old 03-23-2001, 11:03 PM   #124  

Default Hello

Good Evening to all

First of all COngrad to Deb, doing this for a year is no small thing. Thanks for the hard work you put into the board.

About the abbreviations...the one that took me the longest to figure out was lol. I think that it really has two meaning. Lots of luck and laughing out loud.

This has been a good week, but busy for me, but who isn't. I have really enjoyed the peace and quiet in the house. My 20 year old moved out a week ago Tuesday and I feel like I am finally getting some decent nights sleep without waking up when he comes home at all hours of the night. I do miss him, but this is the best thing- he needed a dose of reality. Thank God he has a wonderful girl friend that supports and challenges him, and she is only 19.

Weight wise- things are going good even though I don't think I am going to make my goal that I set. I really wanted to lose 50 pounds in five months and I am only a pound or two away. I am still trying to make it, I have until the 27th.

Well got to get going, have to be at work at 6:00 am but hopefully it won't be a full day's work.

Have a good day, Laurie
350/302/170
Port Charlotte, Florida
Old 03-24-2001, 02:00 AM   #125  
Everyday angel

Default Happy to be here with you all!

Happy Friday everybody! Wow I'm on page 3 and this thread is up to page 5 so my head is spinning, but it's great to see such support here!

Viv...it's great that you are concerned about affecting your kids. As I said my family all has serious problems. The only grandkid is my 3 year old niece. I hear my father telling her she's fat and then feeding her sugary junks all day long all in the same breath. It makes me so furious I want to smack him up upside the head. But I can't do anything. As far as financial planning we are lucky if we aren't lynched in this market, never mind about making money! Funny how people don't understand that this is the best time to buy, sort of like a sale at J. C. Penney. Congrats on reaching your Florida goal!!!!

Idblond....congrats on the 15 pounds and on fitting into Jr's clothes! I was just nutzoid when I fit into a 13 for literally the first time in my LIFE, about a year ago (I'm 27)

Beachfan37....you quoted "This past week in Parade Magazine it stated that if your waist is less than 35 inches you are at a healthy weight for you body type." What kind of body type? That seems pretty big for most women. I am thick waisted with a 30 inch waist and 35 inch hips and consider myself 30ish pounds overweight at 164. By the way that you reached and surpassed your goal is truly an inspiration for me. I mean I can't begin to express my admiration. 15 months seems pretty fast to me when I've been struggling since I was 4 years old and have never YET reached my goal. You and all the other wonderful ladies here give me confidence that it is possible. I'm glad you didn't give up even when the scale slowed down.

amseraphim, good luck with the wedding and I'm sure the dress will be gorgeous!

MargaretA, congrats on the spiffy new job!

BOB Thanks ever so much for the image, it is so cute! I saved it to my hard drive. Well I guess it looks a bit like me. I have so many traumatic potato chip stories. (but not as many as chocolate). so I have released BOTH from my way of eating.

Oh this is my mug. I'm so glad Suzanne & Co. allow images now!

Frog Lover Wow halfway to goal! That's incredible! We are at almost the same weight, starting point and goal so I really feel a connection!

Rosalie, thanks so much for the support on quitting smoking. I do that too! That is, since I quit I have been repeating to myself over and over, "I am not a smoker." "I don't NEED to smoke" (I hate the idea of being addicted to anything.) I am happy to report that I am still smoke free!

Super Chick Debbie, I'm so glad your eye problems aren't serious like mine but if they get worse or your symptoms change please go to the doctor!

Congrats on the new walking time record and also for a year on Sugar Busters! I wanna say that I for one really appreciate the time and effort you have put into this rockin' forum. As I said I remember you specifically from when I used to post here a year ago but at that time I was putting my energies into getting the Overeaters Anonymous forum going, which it did while I was there! It took me a long time to discover the benefits of a sugar-free lifestyle, and being hardheaded, I had to make a lot of mistakes and figure it all out on my own before it sunk in! I hope you don't mind I copied and posted your story HERE so that the folks on my forum can be inspired too. If you mind I'll take it down.

*Whew* sorry I can't answer everybody...but I always enjoy reading everything you have to say!

Love,

Chris

194/163/130
Old 03-24-2001, 02:04 AM   #126  
Everyday angel

Default For Friday Facts

In celebration of Friday, although it is pretty much over for ya'll on the Mainland, I'm posting a list of websites that I spent quite a bit of time compiling for the other forum I post on. I have reviewed these sites for quality, although not in great detail. I especially enjoyed the personal web sites, some of which are from the 3FC list. Enjoy!

OTHER SUPPORT COMMUNITIES

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet. Busy forum. Still the best online community for weight loss support that I have found.

Diet Talk. This seems like a lively weight support forum, although I haven't had a chance to check out the individual posts yet.

FAT ACCEPTANCE

National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance. I don't necessarily agree with fat acceptance. But here's the official site on the subject.

Thrive Online--Plus Size. Check out "Sexuality," a collection of stories about being a plus-size sexy chick.

Fat Acceptance Stuff. A large collection of links, well-organized into categories for your viewing pleasure--sorta like this post.

Fat? So! For people who don't apologize about their size!

SizeWise contains some neat size-related news snippets.

WEIGHT MANAGEMENT RESOURCES

Arnot Ogden Medical Center--Weight Management. Wow! A LOT of information on different aspects of weight management, organized like a table of contents. Comprehensive.

Fitness Partner Connection Jumpsite--Managing Your Weight. A large collection of articles, simply and elegantly organized.

iVillage.com--Diet and Fitness. Pretty standardized e-magazine fare, but seems to contain a great deal of information.

Healthy Body Calculator. A through quiz that determines your "healthy" weight range and other things.

Food Fit. Healthful recipes and information.

At Home with Richard. Richard Simmons' web site. So delightfully cheesy, you MUST visit!

PERSONAL STORIES Here's where wading through dozens of pages of BAD web design came into play. I picked sites that had a pleasing design, in addition to content.

Cat/Astrophe* (formerly known as Pink Pig Scribbles). The best web design I have seen in a long time. Simply beautiful!

Such a Pretty Face. Stunning web design and a good collection of fat-acceptance related links.

Cat's House of Fun. A FUN and artistic page featuring photo collections of this decidedly "healthy" female. Impressive. Check out "All time worst photos!"

I'm Fat...For Now. Cute site, and this chick has let go of over 90 pounds this past year!

Blue Collar Diva. Includes the Diva's story on weight loss surgery.

One Fat Man. Fred has lost 125 pounds since May and met his wife on the Internet too!

Pound--It's flesh. A wicked sense of humor makes it worth a visit. Check out "the fugly side of Sears."

Last edited by SparkleScamp; 03-24-2001 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-24-2001, 02:34 AM   #127  
Everyday angel

Default And finally, about ME! ;)

It has been a very good week. Being smoke-free, after the first four days, has been wonderful for my energy levels! I've been doing reasonably well, but I'm motivated and ready to move to a different level.

After well over a year of sane eating, I still have a hard time putting BALANCE into my diet. I realize that even though I have been sugar-free, my fat intake is out of control. So I worked up a little chart as a guideline for my daily food intake. It looks like this:

The way it works is that for each meal, I broke down not only the total calories for the meal but the number and percentage of fat, protein, and carbohydrate calories. Of course, I don't plan to follow this chart exactly but it give me some general idea of what I'm doing, at a glance, instead of staying in the dark. I might have to adjust the percentages over time, also.

1800 calories is a healthy level for me. I always try to eat less and end up shooting myself down. I also have a big problem with skipping meals...I would rather not eat than have to deal with the choices and temptations. Well, tonight I was tempted to skip, but instead I had a big bowl of frozen strawberries and plain yogurt, with Splenda. I was still hungry so I made myself a rather interesting salad of carrots sliced with a potato peeler, mayo, raisins, almonds and a bit of lemon juice. I had a bit of that with a slice of cheese. So maybe it wasn't perfect but it's certainly better than the pure cheese/carb meals I've been having lately.

The next step is the gym. I have been doing moderately well for about three weeks now, going three to four times a week for 20 to 40 minutes each time. But I really want to kick things up to a new level as I said. So my new guideline (not a rule to beat myself over the head with) is to do 1 hour of cardio, 6 days a week, and 2 upper body strength training sessions in addition. I'm also going to do abs the minute I wake up in the morning, 7 days a week! All of this is going to be a real challenge to me because it's much more than I've been doing lately. But like being smoke-free, after a few days it will be much easier. The main thing is to get started. I did quite well today by starting my 50 situps, but my abs were so weak that I had to go to crunches after about 15! Then I put in my full hour. I started off on the recumbant stationary bike but my butt got sore so I moved to the elliptical crosstrainer. I get bored really easily so I brought a couple of professional journals to read at the same time. That slowed down the pace of my workout but kept me from going crazy, and I learned some good information too!

So one day down! I have a lot more changes I'm going to make but that will do for now. I feel really good for the first time in a long time.

Love,

Chris
Old 03-24-2001, 05:58 AM   #128  

Default Hi

Good Saturday Morning~

I woke way too early and could not get back to sleep. Well I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. It will be a busy one here. Need to get to the store and purchase some more chicken for my friends wedding!

If I do take a picture to post, where would I post it? I don't know a thing about computers... So any help would be appreciated.

I was bad last night, but plan on getting 100% back on plan.

Anyway I'd better run, lots to do.

Oh I noticed the time is off on this site. I never post late at night?(Confused)

Hugs~
Cathy
Old 03-24-2001, 11:08 AM   #129  

Default Hurray it's Saturday!

But it's raining, too bad. This is a quick one, I am truly going to the gym in a few minutes. I only went twice this past week, and I don't like missing too many days.

Laurie: I totally understand about sleeping better when your son isn't home. When mine is home, even though he's 27, I worry. Now why don't I worry all the time, because he lives in New Orleans and I am sure he's out late there also! Mothers are funny.

Mary: I will be in Baton Rouge Friday and Saturday. The only problem is that I am at the mercy of my friend's schedule, which seems to be jampacked at the moment. I visit a lot, so let's plan to get together the next time. I will make sure not to be in such a hurry then.

Chris: I have been smoke-free for 3 months now. It isn't that hard after the first month, and I know I feel much better. I wouldn't even attempt exercise while I was smoking, so smoking was not a weight loss tool for me. I know some people think it helps. Keep it up, and I will too.

BOB: I am jealous of your great buy on the cookware, and I also love to watch Scarlett eat barbecue. She seemed to be able to suck in her gut pretty well when Mammy started lacing her up though...don't think I could do that!

Oops, the man is here to look at my air conditioner, it won't be long until we need it here.

More newbie confusion: Should I have started a new thread for Saturday, or do we just reply to the last message wherever it happens to be?

Have a sugarfree weekend, everyone!
Old 03-24-2001, 12:02 PM   #130  

Default GOOD SATURDAY MORNING EVERYBUDDY!!!

IT'S BEAUTIFUL HERE ON THE WEST COAST OF FLA

Hope everyone is having a great start of the weekend.
Mine will be spent INDOORS because I have to get started with my housecleaning. My DB and the INSPECTOR GENERAL will be here on Good Friday, and that only gives me TWO WEEKENDS to get my house in order. I don't have that much to do, just NO TIME TO DO IT!

CHRIS: Thanks SO much for all the great links. AND NO YOU DON"T LOOK LIKE THE LADY EATING THE CHIPS!
Did you quit smoking COLD TURKEY? or are you using the patch? AHEM I'm a smoker, and have been toying with the patch idea.

I got hold of a copy of CALORIES DON'T COUNT by Dr Herman Taller. This book comes from research he began after WWII because of his OWN weight problem. He promotes good carbs, more protein..NO WHITE THINGS...In a sense, he was one of the pioneers of the WOE that we do today! There are only
about three others before him starting in the 1800's...This WOE has been around for a long time, and YES, my Mother has now told me that this was one of the MANY diets that I was on back in the 60's! She says that it worked great, but as with anything else, the minute I started eating all the WHITE THINGS, my
weight came back!
I'm going to start using some of the info from the book for Tuesday Facts. If you can get your little hands on a copy of this, for no other reason than to read the history, IT'S AMAZING TO SAY THE LEAST

Deb: I hope your eye area is better! Just keep the area moist so it won't crack!

Ladies, I'll address everyone later....If I don't get up from here NOW, I will still be sitting here this time tomorrow!

DEBBIE: NOT YELLING...JUST WANT YOU TO READ THIS! WHAT DO YOU SAY ABOUT HAVING A "AMAZING PAST POSTS" AREA?
It would be a thread dedicated to a post that someone does whree the info is SO AMAZINGLY HELPFUL that we don't want to lose it! It would be a "move only" thing that YES, would give you JUST ONE MORE THING TO DO.
No one would be able to reply is my point...it would just be moved there for easy access...

GOTTA GO...
Later
BOB
Old 03-24-2001, 12:08 PM   #131  

Default ONE MORE THING

Margaret: No, you don't have to start a new thread. We do that on Monday's only, and Debbie gets us started with her "intro" page about the forum.
Just ALWAYS reply anytime you want to post.
Have a GREAT DAY!
Old 03-24-2001, 01:04 PM   #132  

Default Hello

Happy Weekend everybody--

I am amazed at the amount of posts!! WoW!! I've been reading all week, but haven't been able to post. Busy Busy Busy...

First DEBELLI...how does it feel to be starting your SECOND year of SB??? I am impressed with you. You are an inspiration to soooooo many people. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Hope your eyes clear up soon. Skin irrations are hard to diagnose. My mom had something similar and I believe the dr. prescribed a cream steroid, but he didn't really know for sure what caused it. How is Eli doing with the clinical trial for cholesterol? A friend of mine suggested taking 500 mg of niacin a day to reduce cholesterol. I'm going to do a bit of research on this and ask my gyn in may (he is the closest thing I have to a family dr!!). I read your delimma with Lauren and buying clothes that are too tight. I'm not a parent, but I can remember the arguements my mom and I had about clothes. I'm sure as a parent you pick your battles...maybe this one is one to avoid? Let her wear what she likes (within reason of course) and hope she realizes for herself. Of course the problem is spending the $$$ and then she may decide she wants something else....guess I'm not much help! I copied your Friday facts and emailed it to my friends who would be interested. Thanks for posting it...it applies to me def!! I feel like my thighs look like cottage cheese in some places! That article helped put my thighs in perspective!!Where did you find the info?

GATOR GAL...I think last week it was you that tried to go to my stamping site...sometimes yahoo has a bit of trouble loading...here's the addy again if you're still interested... http://stampcreations.homestead.com I had a typo last time! Hope this works for you.

SparkleScamp..Great picture!!! You are so photogenic! I can see you are really dedicated to your health too. Keep up the good work. I enjoyed checking out some of the links you posted. Sounds like you really are kicking things up a notch with your workout schedule.

Cathy H....if you go to your profile and then choose edit options, you can change the time to match your time zone. I think the default is either England time zone or Greenwich Mean Time. How was the wedding? Weddings are so exciting...starting a new life and declaring your love in front of all your friends...and it is so special when it is a dear friend of yours. I can't stand going to a wedding of ppl I don't really know and was only invited b/c they work with my husband or something like that.

debstahl...so glad your septic problem is resolved. No one tells you owning a home means one thing after another that needs to be maintained. I try to put it in perspective...I'm lucky to be able to own a home and have the means to fix something if it breaks down. Although I don't know what we'd do if we had a problem like yours!!! I'd be calling my parents for a loan!!!

amseraphim..hope you had a good time in FLA. I admire you for being on the treadmill for an hour. One day I hope I post the same message!!! I started doing 35 minutes, now I'm up to 45 minutes, and I just know 60 min. will be in my future!! I don't pressure myself, otherwise I'll start to resent it. Thank God for my bookholder! It keeps me going!!

Quilter...thanks for sharing your lasagna story!!!! I'm glad I shared my story and it had an impact on you. Yes, this board is the best as far as support goes. So, how was the lasagna???? And HOW WAS STAMPING?? Did you enjoy it?? I'm stamping this weekend...i have to make 20 birthday invitations for a friend (her hubby is giving her a surprise party but I have to help every step of the way). I went to a stamping party this week and it was so fun and inspiring!! I'll get a card out to you sometime in April. I hope your friend doesn't get too bad of a reaction to the chemo. There are so many different kinds of chemo and ppl react so differently. It just sucks. Jungle Jims sounds soooooo cool. Here in the sticks we have nothing like that. I'm just greatful we have a HFS!!

Hi margaret A...welcome! I'm sure the fried shrimp wasn't harmful enough to sabotage the work you've invested in this WOE. As everyone says, its important to get back on the wagon right away. This board will help keep you motivated and excited about following SB. Wish we had a spring break!!! My kids (first graders) are sooooooo chatty!! We only have about 54 days of school left and I know they are going to fly by!! Also, as far as the abbreviations, WW can mean weight watchers but it can also mean whole wheat. SGWW means stone ground whole wheat. Those abbreviations can throw you for a loop!
If you want to find some cool pics to attach, just use a search engine to search for free clip art. There are thousands of sites to choose from!!!

VIV...I've missed your lovely sense of humor on the boards. Hope you FLA trip refreshes you! I'm anxious to hear the results of your dad's biopsy. Cancer used to equal death..but no longer!!! Still its impossible not to worry. You've got lots of ppl pulling for you and I'm convinced that makes a difference.

MELF..glad you're feeling better. I'm sure the signs of spring must make you feel good too! I'm looking forward to them here in the poconos!!!

BIGORANGE...my DH is on a mission to find new cookware. He found an Emeril pan on sale and has been happy with that so far. We have scan pans from some scandanavian country but they are getting pitted or something so Pete wants something new.

To everyone else...have a great sugar free weekend!! And keep on posting

I am making peanut butter cookies from one of the recipe boards. The dough has to chill so I'll let you know how they turn out later

My secret is kinda out at school that I'm following a low sugar WOE. PPL are interested. I'm just kinda pointing them in the right direction. It will be interesting to see what develops!

BBL
Ashley
Old 03-24-2001, 01:53 PM   #133  

Default IT'S ME AGAIN!!

AFTERNOON EVERYBUDDY

ASHLEY
My GYN perscribed the exact same thing. The only difference? NIASPAN which is by perscription and is a "timed released" vs the over the counter kind. Cuts down on the "flushing". ALSO mix up some METAMUCIL the orange flavor sugar free version to take your pill with. The combo of the two promotes the cholesterol lowering agent. It works..my triglycerides were 438 and I brought them down to 189
in two months! I'm about to get back on the combo myself after visiting the Dr this month. Not because she asked me too, but because I don't want them to creap back up!
Way to go on that TREADMILL...I'm not up to that time yet, but on my way!

Later,

BOB
akaHE BIG ORANGE BABE!
Old 03-24-2001, 02:18 PM   #134  

Default What a week!! Really, really long post.

Between my work deadlines, home life, and having something resembling the stomach flu, the week zoomed by. I think I finally have been able to read through most of the posts this week.

A few quick answers to questions:

Yes, I live in So. California where Spring means summer is just around the corner.

When I go out for sf, nf ice cream it comes from Baskin Robbins. They have vanilla nonfat, sugar free soft serve. There are other options, most have chocolate and/or coffee in them and unfortunately those are in my life any more. (I used to be totally hooked on Starbucks as there is one down the street from my house).

Congratulations to all who lost weight, maintained weight and/or gained a little. For the accomplishment is that we are all continuing to eat healthier than be for. I got an email this week and clipped part of it as it really puts things in perspective. It reads like this:

A man found a cocoon of a butterfly. One day a
small opening appeared. He sat and watched
the butterfly for several hours as it struggled
to force its body through that little hole.

Then it seemed to stop making any progress.
It appeared as if it had gotten as far as it could,
and it could go no further.

So the man decided to help the butterfly.
He took a pair of scissors and snipped off
the remaining bit of the cocoon.

The butterfly then emerged easily.
But it had a swollen body and small,
shriveled wings.

The man continued to watch the butterfly
because he expected that, at any moment,
the wings would enlarge and expand to be able to
support the body, which would contract in time.

Neither happened! In fact, the butterfly
spent the rest of its life crawling around
with a swollen body and shriveled wings.
It never was able to fly.

What the man, in his kindness and haste,
did not understand was that the restricting
cocoon and the struggle required for the butterfly
to get through the tiny opening were God's way of
forcing fluid from the body of the butterfly into its
wings so that it would be ready for flight once
it achieved its freedom from the cocoon.

Sometimes struggles are exactly what we
need in our lives. If God allowed us to
go through our lives without any obstacles,
it would cripple us.

We would not be as strong as what we
could have been.
We could never fly!

With this have a wonderful weekend and I will see you all Monday morning!

Lara
Old 03-24-2001, 03:54 PM   #135  

Default New Member

Hello everyone,

I have not yet begun SB. I just ordered the book. I am looking forward though to reading everyone's success. Speak soon!
Closed Thread