Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: In what type of dwelling(s) do you reside? (check all that apply)
Apartment 1 3.33%
Condo 1 3.33%
Cabin or Cottage 0 0%
Trailer 2 6.67%
Townhome 0 0%
Duplex or Triplex 1 3.33%
One story single family home 13 43.33%
Two story single family home 6 20.00%
Three story single family home 2 6.67%
Other (like YELLOWROSE'S tree house) 1 3.33%
I rent 0 0%
I own, but have a mortgage 9 30.00%
I own, free and clear 8 26.67%
I have more than 1 residence (i.e. winter & summer home) 2 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 02:30 PM   #76  
mika

S/C/G: 265/262/238.5

Height: 5'4"

Hello All,

Once again, thanks so much for your great response to my questions. That bread list would be most helpful if anyone comes across it again. What about when the label says "cracked wheat". Is that ok?

Deb- Unfortunately we do not have a Trader Joe's where I live. I know the store well as it was in Portland, OR where I lived before I came here as well as in S.CA. This is a small community on the coast of Northern CA and we don't have a lot of stuff here that can be found in the larger communities. I have't seen Ezekiel breads, but I will look for them in the NFS. It's kinda funny cause Health Food stores are one thing we seem to have in abundance. Humboldt County is known for it's "hippy-type" population and they are very much into not only their marijuana but also "natural" foods. It's actually a real hoot to see the kids in Arcata. Arcata is a college town, (Humoldt State), where they have art/craft fairs every weekend during the summer and their live music outdoors in the Arcata Plaza. The trend for them these days seems to be dread locks for every race. A couple years ago my 27 yr old son lived here in Eureka and even sported dreads much my dismay. I was really good about it though and didn't comment until he asked me what I thought of it. Of course, then I told him EXACTLY what I thought of it!

Anyway....the syrup I told you about:

Wax Orchards
Ingred: Marionberries, conc. grape, apple pear
Total fat: 0
Carb: 15
fiber: 2
sugar: 14 from conc. fruit juice

That's what it says on the label.

Toni-yes, it does make it a lot easier that my hubbie eats the same food. We just got married in Feb of this year and it has been so much easier for me to stick with it because I don't want to let him down as far as cooking the correct stuff for him. We started Atkins together the end of June. He's diabetic and he did so well with this that he's lost at least 30 lbs and his doctor took him off his Glucophage because he no longer has a blood sugar problem! It also helps cause I feel accountable to him.

Monet-Thanks, I will look for Nature's Own as well as some of the others suggested by others.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I look forward to seeing how you are all doing tomorrow. After I've been on SB for awhile I can post more about how I'm doing and ideas I come up with. I really enjoy cooking and have some great recipes but I want to be sure they're SB legal before I post them.

TTFN!
Old 09-03-2003, 03:14 PM   #77  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

MONET
I left you an email...did you get it? Maybe Susan can still come over...she said she needs flour!!!!
Soooooo sorry this isn't gonna happen...I was excited about it, but I have to do the "FAM" thing....
BOB
Old 09-03-2003, 03:21 PM   #78  
Little Engine That Could

Monet, I don't know if you will get more caterpillars. It depends on the weather, mostly the heat. Butterflies like it hot. If you have some good nectar plants where they can get yummy nectar for food, and if you then have some larval plants where they like to lay their eggs, then you might. If you have plenty of dill, or parsley, or even milkweed for monarchs, then you just might. Look for the little white eggs, tiny like a grain of salt. Then a tiny caterpillar will hatch and start growing. If you find a caterpillar, bring it inside on a plant that it likes eating. Keep it fed and watch the life cycle. Good luck.
If it doesn't work this year, there's always next summer.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:52 PM   #79  

GATOR: Thanks for the info! I will keep an eye peeled for more caterpillars! I got two more dill plants to entice them into my yard!

BOB: Are you saying the FAM is more important than meeting ME and FILLISE??? I did get your email, and was disappointed. Trying to be understanding... Unfortunately, our week vacation to Sarasota and Fort Myers got cancelled, so I won't be able to hook up with you in November now....
Old 09-03-2003, 04:04 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Susan, I know you are busy, but take time to enjoy your birthday.

HAVE A GREAT ONE!!!

Jackie
Old 09-03-2003, 04:15 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

It's me again- I'm bored. Scoped some of the recipes. I'm going to try TONI48'S skillet pizza this weekend and BOB's squash casserole. I'm still trying to envision the squash with cream of celery soup, though. I hope the pizza one is good, since hubby LOVES pizza, and this would be a much healthier version that I could eat, too. You know, clothes must be made bigger than a few years ago. It was about 5 pairs of jeans, all different designers and they all are way too tight(all 14's)- but I'm able to wear several 14's in today's sizes. I don't think that's a good thing- kinda depressing when you think about it. I actually weighed a little bit more than I do now when I was able to wear those old jeans- but that's before 2 kids, 2 ceseareans, and a huge weight gain and loss. Anyway, tomorrow I have to go to the Social Security office for a "review" of Joseph's case. I HATE that place, and they always manage to tick me off. I wonder if for once will things go smoothly and they won't screw it up?! I'm cooking 15 bean soup in the crockpot with sausage. It smells good. Hopefully, I won't gain from the heaviness of it. The puffiness has gone down alot today. Hopefully, it won't reappear in the morning. I think I got my fiber quota in for the day- ate stir fy veggies(tomatoes, cabbage, onions, green beans) for lunch, also had a slice of toast with my breakfast- and of course the big bowl of beans I will eat for supper should really exceed daily fiber intake,lol. If you've never had bean soup before, you should try it. It's easy to make. Buy the 15 bean soup package from the store- add a whole onion, salt, pepper, garlic, hot sauce, chili powder, several dried bay leaves, smoked sausage(cajun flavor's really good), can tomatoes, a stalk of celery. Throw it in the crockpot for a few hours and Voila! I'm making cornbread also for the rest of the family. Okay, can anyone tell I'm hungry? Think I will make me a strawberry smoothie- hey, there's more fiber!
Old 09-03-2003, 04:21 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Garden- don't beat yourself up! The great thing about SB, is that it's a way of eating for life. Pick yourself up and continue on. Tomorrow's a new day.

Monet- you said you were up a pound when you weighed- did you weigh at the same time as before? I weigh in the morning, before I eat or drink anything. I've weighed myself after dinner before and I was up 4 pounds! But back the same the next morning.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:22 PM   #83  

WIW, which I was dreading since I spent most of the last 2 weeks at various fairs, working at our exhibit(NYS), and the gym was pretty much out of the question.But, only up 1 pound, not too horrible, I'm pretty sure I can knock that right off again. Went to the gym yesterday and today.
Hope that everyone else is doing well today!

Barbara
270/235/135
Old 09-03-2003, 06:48 PM   #84  

HEART: I weighed when I got home from work, and had not eaten anything since 6 am, and it was about 2. I have to say nature took its course after I posted that, and of course I weighed again, and it was back down that pound. Your bean soup sounds good! I like beans! They don't like me!
Old 09-03-2003, 07:21 PM   #85  

Hello:

I thought I'd jump on and say hello, since I have a minute. I really should be planning something for dinner (oh well).

Heart got me in the mood for Big Lots so I went when DD was in school; didn't find too much. They had an ab machine that is on all the TV commercials for 19.99; it was tempting, but I passed it up. We will stick to our ab tape that we have been doing.

Garden: It's a new day...put yesterday behind you and move on. You will have days like that but try not to get discouraged. Peanut Butter and Jelly (if the right kind of PB & J on the right kind of bread) isn't so bad; it could have been worse. I don't know much about the protein drinks, so I can't answer your question on that.

Gator: When I was losing at a good pace, I was taking 2000 mg Carnitine Tartrate, and I am sure that is what jump-started my weight loss and kept me losing. I was taking 2 before breakfast and 2 before dinner. I now take 1 every three days or so (500mg). Upping it to 2000mg will probably aide in your loss efforts. The pictures are beautiful; isn't nature amazing?

Monet: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! 27 years is something to be very proud of; I always envy people who have stayed together for so many years. My parents just had their 39th in July; it will be the big 40 next year. Enjoy your dinner, and remember that you only celebrate this day once a year so don't beat yourself up if you eat a little off plan.

Wood: Glad it was only one pound; it certainly could've been a lot worse!! Keep up the good work.

Well, hubby and I are going to go out for dinner on Saturday night (the first time since DD was born nearly 14 months ago). We have a $100 gift certificate to a restaurant that we have never been to....I don't even know what kind of food they serve. We are going to have a bottle of wine (gotta use up that certificate), and then I may splurge a little bit for dinner. We may not get out for another year. I don't trust anyone with my children; I should lighten up a bit, but just feel more comfortable when they are with me. Once our baby gets a little bit older, I will feel more comfortable leaving her for a little longer.

Well, better go decide what's for dinner before everyone gets too hungry.

Take care!
Old 09-03-2003, 09:38 PM   #86  
Little Engine That Could

Pancho--Thanks for the info on the Carnitine dose. I'm taking 2000 mg now but the book said you could easily go up to 4000. I'll stick with the 200 for now and see what happens. If I need to, I'll keep adding 500 per week.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:30 PM   #87  

Back in from small group meeting. The group decided to go to Taco Bell. Not a very good choice for someone on SB! I got a grilled steak taco and ate only about half the soft taco shell. Also got pintos and cheese. It was a light supper, I think. When we got home, I had a small glass of milk, and now its time for bed.

Sweet dreams everyone! I may not have time to post tomorrow. If not, I will be back on Friday....

Old 09-03-2003, 11:14 PM   #88  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

The computer just became free but I'm off to bed - will be able to post tomorrow morning after I get in my walk - hopefully, depends if it's raining.

GOOD NEWS TONIGHT - a neighbor who's newer on the street and I got to talking the other day and she walks in the evening. I told her to call me if she ever wanted someone to go with and she did tonight - got in another 3.5 miles this evening - 8 miles total for the day!!!

Nite!

Debbie
Old 09-03-2003, 11:51 PM   #89  

Default THANKS!

Good night, everyone, and thanks for the encouragement. Tomorrow is a new day!!! I love what someone has on an earlier post...we're not a failure until we give up. I'm going to cling to that saying!

I'd still like to hear anyone's thoughts on the protein shakes, if you know any more about them.
Steph
Old 09-04-2003, 12:05 AM   #90  

Default Thanks for the warm welcome!

Just wanted to thank you guys for the warm welcome. It's been about 2 weeks now. Not going near the scale,yet. It depresses me. But, I can already start to feel the positive effects of a healthier way of eating. Loading up on water and having fun finding new products with which to experiment. It was like Christmas to come home to a SugarFreeKitchen package on my doorstep this afternoon. I LOVE to cook and I find it simpler to just load the freezer, pantry, and fridge full of LEGAL items to eat. My husband is amazed when he tastes some of the SB recipes I have tried-- "Are ya sure this is LEGAL?!"
I can't wait to explore this site a bit more to try some of your recipes and ideas. And of course, I'd love to SHARE some of mine. I blame a lot of my weight problem on my mom. She can make dirt taste good.
Little incentive to lose. I was on Classmates.com last night. Found about 25 old friends & have heard from about 1/2 already. Planning a little reunion...time to lose.
Hey, I forget who posted the butterflies, but my son & I did that last year and it was just the neatest thing to watch. Awesome. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Sorry, I'll learn names. Promise.
Why can't we just eat, drink, and be merry? Oh, we can... Ali-G
Closed Thread