More than a week 2 9.52%
Usually til the scale shocks me into submission-no set time frame 2 9.52%
Me? I NEVER Cheat! 0 0%
Other (care to explain ?) 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 06:00 PM   #106  
Bustin' Buddy

Hey just popping in and skimmed the posts. Sounds like everyone is doing wonderful!

TONI: Girl...I have more beads than you can even imagine. I ride in Mardi Gras - you should see the upstairs of my house - FULL of beads - any kind you want!

JACK-K: What are the dates of your visit? If there isn't an LSU game - we can definitely meet up! That would be a blast! As for legal pizza????? I have no clue - when I go to New Orleans..."legal" isn't on my mind - sorry!

Off to pack for the weekend...see y'all Sunday!

missy
286/274.5/170
Old 08-28-2003, 07:46 PM   #107  

Hello all:

I've had a busy day, but got a lot accomplished.

laurie: WELCOME TO OUR WORLD!! You will do great, and will find a load of information and support here. We all pretty much meet up over here, that way it saves us time skimming trhough everywhere else. I didn't really encounter too many obstacles. I did Atkins first for two months, so SB was a very welcome change to me and allowed me a lot of freedom that didn't leave me feeling deprived at all. We are glad to have you here, and hope to hear from you often.

Deb: The Perfect food is supposed to have fiber in it as well. I'm not going to replace my greens with it, just supplement from time to time. I had a large caesar salad for lunch and will probably have green beans & salad for dinner. I also had some grapes & cantaloupe, so today would be a day I wouldn't take any. Besides, you can't get too many greens in, right? Glad you didn't take your walk; you made the right call today. Maybe it will be dry tomorrow a.m. and you can walk then. We'll give you an A for effort though.

Jack: I like food too much to give it up. BUT there are days that I know I don't get enough veggies in (especially when traveling) and it would be nice to keep my body supplied with those greens during those times/days.

Toni: Yes, you can find it at certain health food store; I'd call around. I, of course, ordered mine online; it's so much easier than dragging kids out for one more errand. You can read up on it at http://risingstarlc.com/perfect.htm. That gives the basic info. you'd need.

A mom in my MOMS Club was selling a large Little Tikes kitchen for $20. It is in excellent condition, so I bought it as a joint gift for the girls for Christmas; I just have to find a place to hide it now (it's 42" tall in the tallest section and 40" wide). She is going to throw in some dishes as well. I will get some pretend food and a shopping cart, and they will love it! What a bargain for $20.

Hmmmmm.....that is probably all for now. I hope you all have a great Thursday evening and I will check in in the a.m.

See ya!

Last edited by Pancho; 08-28-2003 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:49 AM   #108  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

TGIF!

Wow not many posts to catch up with today.

Got my walk in last night and my wt training. But didn't get to walk this morning. DH went in 1/2 hour later so he wanted some breakfast. So today will be my day off. Don't know if I willget in any walking this weekend. THey are calling for rain today thru Monday. Yuk!

No big plans for the long weekend. Happy hour tonight, but I have already decided I am drinking ice tea. Iam determined to get through this weekend, totally legal. Of course the big game UK-UL is Sunday night. Haven't heard if anyone is having a get together, but I'm sure someone will. I will plan some legal snacks for it though.

Laurieann, If you have a health food store near you, they should have some ww crackers that are legal.

Monet, sounds like you worked your butt off. Get some rest. Sweet of you to go in and help out.

Toni, sorry to burst your bubble, but snip-snip is the only solution unless your are 35.

Fruit, I have a whole bag full of beads too. I'm sure you have lots more. This morning I fixed DH some juice and the cup was one from Mardi Gras. Made me think of you. We will be arriving Oct 9th thru the 15th. Hope we can work something out.

Pancho, wow, what a bargain. My girls always loved kitchen stuff and the play food. I'm sure yours will too.

Got to run, we have 2 people to interview today. Hope to be back later.

Jackie
Old 08-29-2003, 09:07 AM   #109  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Friday Morning Everyone!

Was a good morning, was able to get in my 4.5 miles early because ELI had to be at work the same time I go to drop the kids off at school so he took them and I was able to get out of the house earlier. On another good note, I did get out last night, very unsual for me, and got in 3.5 miles. I was tired and didn't feel like going 4.5, esp when I knew in a matter of 12 hours I'd be doing it again-better than nothing!!

Thought I'd post my menu from yesterday. I like doing it once in a while - no one tell me about my lack of veggies, trust me, I know-I had good intentions on fixing something but it never panned out.

6.8oz raspberries
1/2 c cottage cheese
sf jello cup
6.5oz cactus pears
Shelton's Pot Pie
1 low-carb waffle
2.5oz fresh figs
1 Tbl PB flour
1 sl sf bread
1 c xtra calcium ff milk
1 tsp carob
sf jello cup
1oz 75% lf cheese
2oz pastrami
3oz chicken breast
33gr lfsf bacon
1 sl sf bread
1oz 75% lf cheese
1 small plum tomato
1 piece lettuce

I had approx 1350 calories, right on the mark with my fat, should be 45, I consider the 47 close enough, tad below on the carbs, a little high on the protein and a whopping 32.5 grams of fiber. Just imagine if I had eaten some decent veggies - no dookie house problems here! I filled all the "suggested recommended daily servings" I should have, with exception to the 2 veggies, though I went a tad over the 3 servings of fruit I should have - I'm happy

Heard from SERENE, she wanted to tell everyone she sends her hellos and that she and TRANQUIL have been REALLY busy at work, that she has a lot of crap going on at home between the kids and her divorce proceedings, but hopes to be back on the board soon. TRANQUIL is leaving for a 3 day trip to Santo Domingo this weekend, so hope to hear from her as well soon.

Want to get in some replies before the day wears on...

JACKK, first, before I forget to tell you AGAIN, I found those low-carb Wheatstone waffles. I bought the blueberry and the cinammon ones. They were on sale - otherwise I wouldn't of splurged. Questioning if they are truly legal as far as ingredients go, but with in looking at the nutritional info and the ingredients as a whole, they aren't bad. I would eat only 1 instead of the suggested 2 per serving. Did try the blueberry and I liked it a lot, light and fluffy and doesn't need a thing on it. Got me to thinking that maybe, ONE DAY, I'd try to make my own waffles - I sure have enough recipes for that!!! As for my GF, once his mind is made up, it's a done deal, and besides, he's already closed on the house. Now I understand he's having an estate sale next week of all the collectibles in the house. Seems he's just moving full steam ahead! Sounds like you are doing great with your exercise AND eating this week. I'm sure you'll do great during happy hour and this weekend-I'm right beside you!

MONET, sounds like you've really been busy at work. Oye, you'd appreciate my dedication to Publix bakery after the other day. I went on my way home to see what types of cakes they had for MICHAEL, saw the picture ones and went home, came back with a pic of him, said it was too big, so I went home again, came back with a smaller one, guy cut it too small, went home. Came in next morning and told the guy that we weren't doing a pic (MICHAEL didn't want to waste any more ink or photo paper) and I just picked out a different design. Went back later that morning to pick up the cake. After the first time, each time I went back I asked the guy "did you miss me?" I think it will be an inside joke from here out. What I hate that they've done down here is stopped sending the flyers home in the mail as they use to, now, only if you go to pick one up at the store or by the newspaper do you get one Wish I could send you some rain - I've had enough!

LAURIE, I have a recipe for homemade Triscuits - have never made them though, but YOU may want to try your hand at it. See if you can find BARBARA'S WW CRACKERS in your local HFS, they are VERY good. There are other crackers out there as well that are SB LEGAL - just have to see what's available in your area.

TONI, if I could, I would send your rain back, but I've promised ours to MONET Sounds like a fun weekend in your town-I remember you mentioning it last year.

FRUIT, think of me, think of us, think of how good you're doing and you just MIGHT think of LEGAL when you go in to NO That would be GREAT if you and JACKK could meet up, then maybe I'd FINALLY see a picture of her (and you of course).

PANCHO, thanks for the "A" for effort, I think I actually deserved it between yesterday and today. I really have no room to talk about veggies, I hate making them, not so much as eating them, just hate to cook them - heck, I hate to cook anything! I'm trying to change that and find new interesting ways to cooks some favorites though - it will take me some time, so no "A" in effort in that dept just yet

I'm caught up so I'm going to get going and find some FRIDAY FUNNIES to post for today.

Will check in a bit later!

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!

{{{HIGS}}}

Debbie
Old 08-29-2003, 09:21 AM   #110  

I think I may have posted this long ago, but just in case...
MORE EBONICS

Leroy is a 20 year-old 5th grader. This is Leroy's Ebonics homework assignment. He must use each vocabulary word in a sentence:

1. Foreclose
If I pay alimony today, I got no money foreclose.

2. Rectum
I had two Cadillacs, but my bch rectum both.

3. Hotel
I gave my girlfriend crabs, and the hotel everybody.

4. Disappointment
My parole officer tol' me if I miss disappointment they gonna send me back to the joint.

5. Penis
I went to the doctors and he handed me a cup and said penis.

6. Israel
Tito tried to sell me a Rolex. I say, "Man, it look fake." He say, "Bullshit, that watch israel".

7. Catacomb
I saw Don King at da fight the other night. Man, somebody get that catacomb.

8. Undermine
There's a fine lookin' ho living in the apartment undermine.

9. Acoustic
When I was little, my uncle bought me acoustic and took me to the pool hall.

10. Iraq
When we got to the pool hall, I tol' my uncle iraq, you break.

11. Stain
My mother-in-law stopped by and I axed her, "Do you plan on stain for dinner?"

12. Seldom My cousin gave me tickets to the Nicks game, so I seldom.

13. Honor
At the rape trial, the judge axed my buddy, "Who was honor first?

14. Dictate
My girfriend say my dictate good.

15. Odyssey
I tol' my brother, "You odyssey the tts on that ho!"

16. Axe
After school today, the police want to axe me some questions.

17. Fortify
I axed this ho on da street, "How much?" she say "fortify."

18. Income
I just got in bed wif da ho and income my wife.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:22 AM   #111  

CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?

A man left work one Friday afternoon. But instead
of going home, he stayed out the entire weekend,
hunting with the boys and spending his entire paycheck.

When he finally appeared at home Sunday night, he
was confronted by his very angry wife and was
barraged for nearly 2 hours with a tirade about his
actions.

Finally his wife stopped the nagging and simply
said to him, "How would you like it if you didn't
see me for 2 or 3 days?"

To which he replied, 'That would be fine with me."

Well, Monday went by and he didn't see his wife.
Tuesday and Wednesday came and went and he
didn't see her. On Thursday, the swelling went
down just enough where he could see her a little
out of the corner of his left eye.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:27 AM   #112  

A Few Quickies !
Two friends were discussing popular family trends on sex, marriage, and values. Stu said, "I didn't sleep with my wife before we got married, did you?"

Leroy replied, "I'm not sure, What was her maiden name?"

A little boy went up to his father and asked: "Dad, where did all of my intelligence come from?

The father replied: "Well, son, you must have gotten it from your mother, 'cause I still have mine."

"Mr. Clark, I have reviewed this case very carefully,"the divorce court judge said, "and I've decided to give your wife $775 a week."

"That's very fair, your honor," the husband said. "And every now and then I'll try to send her a few bucks myself."

A businessman entered a tavern, sat down at the bar, and ordered a double scotch on the rocks. After he finished the drink, he peeked inside his shirt pocket, then he ordered another double scotch. After he finished that one, he again peeked inside his shirt pocket and ordered another double scotch.

Finally, the bartender said, "Look, buddy, I'll bring you drinks all night long. But you gotta tell me why you look inside your shirt pocket before you order another."

The customer replied, "I'm looking at a photo of my wife. When she starts to look good, then I know it's time to go home."

A doctor examined a woman, took the husband aside, and said, "I don't like the looks of your wife at all."

"Me either doc." said the husband.

"But she's a great cook and really good with the kids."

An old man goes to the Wizard to ask him if he can remove a curse he has been living with for the last 40 years.

The Wizard says, ! "Maybe, but you will have to tell me the exact words that were used to put the curse on you."

The old man says without hesitation, "I now pronounce you man and wife."
Old 08-29-2003, 09:54 AM   #113  

Post Friday..

Hello Ladies…..
HAPPY FRIDAY
I am gonna try my hand at this thing called a computer….. Gotten over my “anger” (which was with myself…….. Over not having a clue about the computer… and what I did to ERASE A HUGE POST)
OK, I am better…. Not ONE more word about it!!!!!!!!!! Promise!!!

Let me start out by saying….. I COULD JUST KISS ALL OF YOU WHO TALK ABOUT SHELTON’S POT PIES……… I finally found them… and one is in the oven (can’t believe they take a whole hour to cook….. Will have to be more prepared next time…) but OH MY GOSH DOES IT SMELL GOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAHOOO…. SOMETHING GOOD TO EAT!!!!

OK, NOW TO POSTS…

JACK-K - can’t believe you are weighing BUT NOT TELLING….!!! :0 That phrase took me back to my childhood!!! J very cute….

TYSGRAMMY - Keep that pretty little head of your up….. YOU CAN’T LOOSE 8 LB’S A WEEK… YOU WOULD WITHER AWAY TO NOTTA…..!!!! You are doing a FABULOUS JOB…. Keep up the good work!!!!

DEB- You are doing so awesome…… wow how do get so close to your mark on #’s…..? I have been journaling, but for now just eating what I normally do to get used to it… then will try and get to the right #’S THAT YOU GAVE ME…..P.S is the home made triscuits recipe on the board????

PANCHO - The “perfect food” sounds pretty cool… let us know how it goes!!

FRUIT - You sound like you know how to have a good time!!! Do you show your BOOBIES??? Ha.ha.ha…. Have fun… and try to be somewhat LEGAL!!!

TONI - Your LITTLE sounds beautiful… I went to school in Austin, but, lived in San Marcos a little town bet Austin & San Antonio… and It had the Guadalupe a huge river that everyone floated too…. WAY TOO MUCH FUN (ESP. when you rent a cool… to FLOAT your beer down with you!!!! )

LAURIE - WELCOME TO THE BOARD… I too am a NEWBIE…. Just wanted to say… sit down, stay awhile… and LEARN A TON FROM THE GIRLS WITH TONZ ‘O KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THIS WOE!!!!! PRETTY IMPRESSIVE what a gal can learn !!!!!!!!!! Good luck to you … and can’t wait to get to know you…! Also, congrats on getting a hold of your health, before it gets a hold of you!!!!

MONET - WOOOOOOOOOOW, sounds like you were NEEDED AT WORK IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE!!!!!!!! You are soooo awesome for lending TWO HANDS ON YOUR DAY OFF!!!!!!!! I know your daughter is sooo happy to have you as a MOMMY!!!! You are such a caring / giving person… reminds me of my own mommy!!!! J Keep up the good work!!!

HEART - I ditto your sentiments on the way the world is going right now….. Just pitiful!!!!

BASHFUL - Good luck in whatever decision you make….. And remember YOU CAN DO IT, ONE DAY AT A TIME!!

LIBRA - Repeat after me…. “Hi my name is Marilyn AND I AM A SLOW LOSER!”
I too am a slow loser… Just gotta deal with it… and remember that it will STAY OFF better (so they say) if we lose it slow!!! J For the non sagging…. Uhm… I am 31 & I already have some issues with my saggy belly….(I do have a 6 month baby, but STILL DON’T THINK IT WILL EVER BE THE SAME….)

Well… hope that I got everyone… and got all caught up…
Hope you all have a wonderful OP weekend!!!!

PS. since I started this post yesterday... I have since EATEN my pot p and boy-o-boy was it YUMMY IN MY TUMMY.... I felt like I was cheating the whole time

Take care of yourselves....
ange.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:57 AM   #114  

Talking ff

Deb - thanks for the ff's.... I LOVED the eubonics!!!!!

ange.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:01 AM   #115  

Thumbs down TGIF - 4 DAY WEEKEND FOR ME!

Hi all!

I'm off today so I get a 4 day weekend. I'm doing ok...out of my blue funk and trying to have a good weekend. We'll go to the highschool football game tonight which will be fun. Hubby and son are now sick. Must be a virus going around. Daughter and I have a little sinus problems but for the most part we are not getting the virus.

Kids are struggling to get back into the school routine. High School is tough and balancing all of the work and being social creatures is tougher!

I'm staying on track. Just don't have the patience like I use to. Want all of the weight off NOW. I know that's not possible. But I just am so mad that I lost all of that weight and put it back on. I was 168 this morning which should make me feel better but I use to be 138! So I'm basically still only 1/2 my way to where I should be!

Deb...you're doing great on the walking. I don't even have the same patience for that. I've been trying to get in 40-50 minutes of walking a day. Last night I went to the track and instead walked and ran so I could get it over with. I went 3 miles but gosh...I'm not sure why I'm so impatient! Plus I it was so hot and humid...it was not the smart thing to do.

Jack-k...I know what you mean about the skin. I was at the gyno the other day and she said...when we do that hysterectomy...you'll need a tummy tuck! I knew that but boy lying on my back hearing that from her was a little unnerving!

Laurie WELCOME...you can do this and it will be the best thing you have ever done for yourself!

Monet...I call that dedication to go in and help like you did. Hope your manager appreciated it!

Fruit...take care on Bourbon street. It should be wild. Did you ever find out if you can have alcohol and the zoloft...I would hate for that to mess you up. I'm glad you were able to get something to help you. I periodically go through what I call blue funks...my family calls it something worst. There is nothing worse than feeling like you are in a deep hole and just wishing to stay there. Take care. You've been doing great.

Pancho...one of our favorite Christmases was the year we gave my daughter the little tykes kitchen. She had many many years of fun with it. Just watch out...my son actually put water in it to wash the dishes...and my daughter tried to cook with my four when I wasn't looking...it was a flour mess!

Toni...we had such a storm the other day that I honestly thought it was a tornado...If I could, I would send you our rain!

Anna
222/168/140
Old 08-29-2003, 11:27 AM   #116  

Good Friday morning:

Well, I woke up to a pleasant surprise (123.5 on the scale). It was actually 123.0 when I first got on this morning, but once I got the kids fed and drank some water myself, I was up to 123.5. The only reason I even got back on was because I took my camera in to take a picture of it to send to my mom and sis. Pretty corny, but fun! They get occasional pictures of my toes on a scale with a number on it; for all they know, they aren't even my toes (ha).

My DH & DD have a three day weekend, so I probably won't be on the computer too much over the weekend, unless I can sneak in at some point. I am going to try to get to the gym today when DD is in school, as long as youngest DD co-operates. I will then go again tomorrow a.m., and Monday a.m. (since hubby off work). My hubby and I did our abdominal tape on Wed. night and will do it again tonight and once over the weekend.

Jack: Good luck at Happy hour and for the game Sunday. You'll do fine as long as you plan for it, and it sounds as if you are good at that!

Deb: Way to knock that walk out early in the day; it sure helps get your day off on the right track. I would go to the gym every morning if I could. I would walk early before hubby goes to work, but it's dark and we have a lot of wildlife out here, so I don't chance it. We live in a rural area outside of town. Too many coyotes for my liking. Good eating!! Thanks for the FF; I haven't seen them before.

Angehaley: I feel your frustration. I am pretty wordy, as you may have figured out by now, and I have lost a few posts too. It's a bummer. How did you like the Pot Pie? I like them better than any of the regular ones I've had before. They sure fill me up too. I usually have one and a large salad, and it makes for a great dinner on nights I don't want to cook. My hubby likes them too, but I try to hide them in the freezer so he doesn't eat my stash (ha).

beach: Hope you and DD stay well. Have fun at the game. I am going to call my old high school and see when their homecoming game is; it would be fun to take the girls. I've been out of school now for 17 years, and have only been to 4-5 homecoming games. Be patient with yourself. It took a while to put the weight back on, and it will take longer to take it off. Just bottle up these feelings and your frustration and save it for when you get back to where you are happy, and then make sure you never gain it again. Anytime you feel the urge to splurge, open that little bottle to remind you of how lousy you felt.

Anyone have much experience with Stevia? I'd like to get away from my occasional Splenda snack, but think Stevia powder and liquid is extremely bitter. I've tried it in a few recipes and had to throw it all out.

Also, can you supplement Agave in ANY recipe that calls for Sugar, and are there any adjustments to amounts? The little cheesecakes I make call for 1/4 cup of Splenda granular. I'm wondering if I could substitute 1/4 Agave. Would that be too sweet; would they set up like cheesecake, or be too soggy. This is probably a Deb question, eh?

I'm going to make Salmon, shrimp, rice pilaf (for daughter & hubby), and probably some steamed broccoli for dinner. Believe it or not, that is my DD's favorite meal. Can you imagine a 5-year old who would pick that meal over just about any other??

Well, I will check in when we get home from school/gym before our long weekend gets underway.

Baby just got hurt...gotta go.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:28 AM   #117  

Me again

Thought I'd take a break and come say hello - board is sure quiet today!

ANGE, glad to hear you found the pot pies, now you can join the crowd when we talk about them and know what we are saying on how delectable they are. You shoud invest in a JET STREAM OVEN, it's the bomb and I wouldn't be without one and ALWAYS have one in reserves for when mine breaks down. I use it all the time and best of all, it only takes 28-30 minutes to cook a pot pie Thought the TRISCUIT RECIPE was on the board long ago but I guess I was mistakenand confused, I thought it was a tricuit recipe, but it's actually "WHEAT THINS", sorry 'bout that - but just in case you want the WT recipe, here you go:

WHEAT THINS

1 C WW Flour
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp butter, softened
1/8 teas. baking powder

Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix with fingers. Add enough cold water to get it to stick together. Knead until it has a consistency of an ear lobe. Roll thin and cut into squares. Prick each with a fork. Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 350 until brown and crisp - approx 8-10 minutes. Cool on cake rack.

I'll search, I'm sure somewhere I MUST a recipe for triscuits, or I can find one As for getting close to my numbers, doesn't always happen, but sure makes me more aware when I journal. I think knowing the different food groups and the servings of each is helping as well. Glad you liked the pot pie!

BEACH, glad to hear you get 4 days off from work-I know you deserve it. Hope you and DD don't get sick and hope DH and DD get well soon. I know the feeling about not being as patient having to get this weigh off again, maybe we'll learn this time around? It's been hard for me to get back in to walking after being MIA all summer on the streets, and my jogging days seem to be over, just trying to jog across the street before the light turned was hard yesterday We both got there before, we'll get there again - together

I'm going to get ready and try to get to yoga today. Gosh, I hope they haven't changed anything, I haven't heard a thing from my yoga teacher in over a week, she probably thought I went AWOL!\

Will check in later - at least I know I'll have computer time as the kids' father is taking them out for dinner and I'll have the house to myself

Toodles

Deb
Old 08-29-2003, 11:33 AM   #118  

Found this article as I was searching the web:

Whole wheat is sometimes only half the story

ABCNews.com
8/17/2001

Always be sure to read the labels to assure that you're getting truly whole grain products.
Print this article
Email to a friend

Think you're getting whole grains out of the turkey on wheat sandwich you had for lunch? Think again.
Doctors and nutrition experts say you should still load up on whole grain foods, but warn that many items that appear to be chock full of whole grains may not be, if you read the fine print on the food labels.

Whole grain foods tend to be high in fiber, which can reduce blood cholesterol levels and cut down on the production of substances in the body that appear to act as carcinogens and cause cancer, Good Morning America's foods contributor Sara Moulton said. Whole grain also helps keep the digestive system regular, warding off gastrointestinal tract troubles.

The USDA recommends eating a minimum of three servings of whole wheat each day, but a University of Minnesota study that appeared in the July issue of the Journal of the American Dietetic Association found that Americans average a paltry one serving of whole grain foods per day. So how do we get enough?

"You've got to read the labels, not just the packaging," Moulton said. "It's confusing because you see wheat or whole wheat in the title on the packaging of the food product and you assume it has whole grains."

But it may not. The key is making sure that the word "whole" is the first ingredient in the food item. Food label ingredients are listed in descending order by weight. Look for "whole-wheat flour," "whole wheat," "whole grain wheat," "whole oat flour," "whole grain oats," or "100 percent wheat flour" as the first ingredient.

Confusing Labels

On a package of Arnold's Honey Wheat Berry bread, whole wheat is the fourth ingredient listed for the bread, which means it has very little whole wheat in it, and it is not a whole grain food. But Arnold's Whole Wheat bread has whole wheat flour as the first ingredient, meaning it is a whole grain food, because it is the dominant ingredient in the product.

There are other products that appear to be made of whole grain, even though they aren't.

For example, in Kellogg's Nutri-Grain Whole Wheat Waffles, whole wheat is the third ingredient listed. In Wheatsworth's Stone Ground Wheat Crackers, whole wheat is the fourth ingredient. And beware of tags like "multi-grain," "seven-grain" and "nutri-grain," because without whole grain as the top ingredient, they don't cut it as whole grain foods, Moulton said.

Even though the labels are tricky, the companies are in the clear in terms of the claims they make. If the product makes a health claim on the front of the package, as many do now for heart disease or cancer prevention, it need only be 51 percent whole grain by weight.

"As long as the package doesn't say '100 percent whole grain' or '100 percent whole wheat' in the title, they are not making any false claims," Moulton said. "They can just be confusing for the consumer. And it's not bad for you but if you're looking for whole grain you've got to know what to look for."

Getting Three a Day

It's easy to get three servings of whole grain a day, in breakfast, lunch or snacks. Here are Moulton's tips:

Bread: Look for "whole" as the first ingredient, or "100 percent whole grain" in the title. If you do not like crusty bread, choose soft whole grain bread like Wonder. The crusty texture is because of the way it is baked, and is not because of the grain used.

Cereals: Cereal is also an excellent way to get whole grains into your diet. But be careful?some aren't as good as others. For example, Post Raisin Bran is a whole grain food, with whole grain as its first ingredient, but Kellogg's Raisin Bran contains no whole grains, though it does contain vitamins, minerals and bran. Other whole grain cereals include: Cheerios, Kellogg's Mini-Wheats, Quaker Toasted Oatmeal Squares and General Mills Wheat Chex. Oatmeal is another whole grain cereal, though the other hot cereals may not be.

Crackers: Triscuits is one brand that has whole wheat as its first ingredient.

Soups and Bars: Barley soups, Health Valley Breakfast Bars, and Power Bar Harvest Whole Grain Energy Bar are good sources of whole grain.

Snacks: Air-popped popcorn or microwave popcorn are made from whole grain (of corn).

Pasta and Rice: Substitute whole wheat pasta and brown rice for the other varieties.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:12 PM   #119  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Hello, got time for a quick post. Not alot going on right now- fixing to put myself in a bad mood in a few minutes- I have to figure the bills- what HAS to be paid, and what can wait and what will have to wait because we don't have it,etc. Boogie just came in here(the bedroom) toting a bowl of leftover beans he got outta the fridge, He said " Me want tis, puhleeze." How cute, so I got up and reheated them and now he's happily munching away. Oh, our friends did show up last night- neither one of them liked cabbage- oh well, I made some cornbread for them. My daughter is ate up with a MS accent- she says "conebread" instead of cornbread. I've been correcting her when she says winda instead of window,etc. Today I'm down to 182. So that 1/2 pound gain yesterday was fluid, and I lost another 1/2 pound with it. Cool. I would like to keep on losing instead of reaching another standstill where I don't loose nothing for weeks at a time.

LAURIE- Yes, I know where Richland is. We go to Jackson(the University) for my son's pediatric cardiology appointments.

Deb- I'll have to check on the price of that Ionic brush. Right now, not much is going to help other than a haircut. I keep putting it off.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:16 PM   #120  
Little Engine That Could

Hi all,
I'm alive. My computer has been down for 3-4 days. Seems like a year. I had to pay a geek to come and reinstall everything. What a job. The only think I ended up losing was all the data in my address book. Ugh.
I've been so busy--up to my eyeballs in work. The french class is great, but it sure adds a lot of requirements to my days.
Gotta go. Have a ton of stuff to do today.
Closed Thread