Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 09:46 AM   #61  

MARRIAGE SEMINAR

While attending a marriage seminar on communication, Tom and his wife Linda listened to the instructor declare:

"It is essential that husbands and wives know the things that are important to each other."

He addressed the men:

"For instance, gentlemen, can you name your wife's favorite flower?"

Tom leaned over, touched his wife's arm gently and whispered,

"Pillsbury All-Purpose, isn't it?"

The rest of the story is not pleasant.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:35 AM   #62  

Angry Happy WIW

Happy WIW to all who lost. I stayed the same today but I always consider that a success too!

Gator: Loved the pics of the butterflies. Can't wait to see them when they transform!

BOB: GREAT funny. Since I don't cook my hubby would not make that mistake

Heart: I knew you would be back down in no time. Usually when we have a increase like you did, it is mostly water. Keep up the good work.

Rosalie: Badmiton sounds like so much fun. When the kids were little I bought a net and the set but could never get them interested. I may try again and even see if my hubby would try.

Thunder: Welcome back. Like you I lost a lot of wt. 90lbs and gained a lot back (over half). This board means a lot to me and has helped me get back on track.

Melf: I go back to Rissa's website a lot. Not only are the tips good but all of her information. I think her common sense approach is what makes me like it so much. It motivates me to keep on track. Staying OP is great. The scale will start dropping before you know it.

Groove: Happy Birthday early. You did great avoiding the cupcakes at the party.

See ya'll later...Have a great day
Be strong in avoiding temptation

Anna
222/176/140
Old 07-30-2003, 11:16 AM   #63  

Default Wednesday

Hey everyone.

Just thought I'd pop in again and say hello to everybody.

I took Kerri, my 6 yr. old, to the eye doc yesterday for some new glasses. The ones she had got broken, I have no clue as to how it happened, but she needed new ones before school starts back. The eye doc said that her prescription on the broken glasses was just fine and she didn't need a new prescription; she just needs new glasses. Well, that was all fine and good, but holy cow, the new glasses are just over $160 and they will have a 3 year warrenty on them so they can be replaced if something happens to them. I was in shock when they told me how much they were gonna be. Her other ones were like $72. I know to some people $160 isn't that bad, but it just shocked me. They want me to get Katie, the 9 yr. old, in for an appointment just to check her out since her sister is a little farsighted. I hope when I get her in that she won't need any. I've never thought about taking her to the eye doc, she doesn't seem to have any problems with her eyes that I can tell anyway.

Ok, now to let you all know about my trip to Arkansas to get the kids. My MIL and FIL worked the whole time, so we didn't get to see too much of them. Working normally is one thing, but MIL was on call when we got there and was on call 2 days during the week. We spent most of our time with hubby's sister and her hubby. I did go down to my friends house in Louisiana where we moved here from. It was really nice to see her again. We talk quite a bit, but being there is just so much different. I wasn't all that happy about the people that moved in my house though. They aren't taking care of the 2 rose bushes I planeted before moving, and the flower bed looks horrible, granted I didn't keep that thing up all the time, but I did have it looking better than they do. We spent a couple days at my mom's. Nothing really happened there, mom was sick and dad was working. I know hubby was really bored, but at least he went this time. Nothing really exciting happened on our trip "home" but I just thought I'd tell you all about it. It was nice to get away from here for a week, but it could have been a lot better if everyone didn't have to work all the time we were there.

My eating is getting some better, but not 100% yet. I'm working on it though.

I need to go for now, but I'll pop back in at sometime. Talk to y'all later.

Jenn
Old 07-30-2003, 11:28 AM   #64  

Well here it is, Weigh-in-Wednesday again! I am at 126.5 this morning (I have been fluctuating between 125-127). I guess that is not so bad since it is that TOM. I did work out this morning, so I am feeling good overall.

Last night for dinner, I fried up some ground beef with garlic and onions and had a legal pasta sauce (Mom's brand) with fresh garlic and basil (I looove garlic). I then made some whole grain pasta and mixed it all up. I made a big salad to go with it and some cottage cheese. It was good and filled me up. The night before I had a burger with all the fixins' minus the bun. Not sure what's for dinner yet tonight; better decide soon.

heart: Thanks for making me feel better. I guess I really know that about these people but hearing it helps. It's a real shame about your "friend" but who needs friends like that anyway? It really makes you wonder what kept you two together before, if she couldn't support you when you were working your tail-end off for those awesome results!

Jane: Welcome back!

groovia: Way to not eat those cupcakes. That little taco probably didn't do too much damage. I think it is o.k. to stray off plan for special occasions as long as you can get back on track, and as long as it is the exception and not the rule. I had a coupon for Auntie Anne's pretzels (buy one get one free). I took my daughter to the mall the other day knowing that that is what we were going to get when we got there. I planned it and then enjoyed it and got right back on track. You can't let a coupon like that go to waste you know

thunder: Welcome back! I didn't know you before, but look forward to getting to know you now. Did you have a boy or girl? I have a daughter that just turned 1-year old two weeks ago.

jecrites: Glad to see you are back. I hope Katie doesn't need glasses too; it can get very expensive!

Take care everyone and have a fantastic day. I am going to go to Old Navy to check out their summer clearance deals and see if I can find anything worth getting.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:37 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 235/185/165

Height: 5'7"

Default HILARIOUS

WOO HOO, BOB!

That is so funny. I laughed at loud, sitting here all alone

Gator- I am absolutely fascinated by your photos! Do you have a special kit? or did you just find them outside, and decide to watch?

Pancho- You're 126!! Teeny! How much have you lost? How long did it take? How much more to go?

and as for WIW- i'm down 2 (well, more like 1.7, but I'm rounding to whole numbers) Yee Haw

Went to Trader Joe's yesterday, and OMG, what fabulous place! Much cheaper than Fresh Fields/Whole Foods, whatever it is called. I found some cookies that say:

"Carb Safe" & "Low effective carbs & sugar free"

They are chocolate chip and double chocolate chip

Sugars 0g
Protein 5g
Fiber 3g
Fat 9 g (saturated 3.5)

Unbleached enriched flour is like the 4th ingredient. What do y'all think? Safe in moderation?

Kelly
Old 07-30-2003, 12:03 PM   #66  

Hi Everyone

I'm happy to report that I am down 2 pounds this week to 192. I hope it stays as I was awake at 6.30 this morning and got up and got on the scale and I was 193. I went back to bed and when I got up a couple of hours later I was 192. It doesn't make sense, but I will accept the lower figure.

Heartmom - Glad to hear those extra pounds are coming off again. Whether it is fluid or not doesn't matter, a pound is a pound.........

Pancho - It's amazing how people can be so negative about your efforts to eat healthy and lose weight. Good for you sticking to your guns and not giving in and joining them in their gorging. I am sure some of them are jealous of what you have been able to achieve.

Jane - Welcome back.

Groovia - Good for you resisting the cup cakes at the school party. I'm sure that little taco won't do you any harm - there will certainly be times when we have to consider other peoples feelings, particularly when it is a child's. As for your birthday party, most of us will have planned cheats from time to time. The important thing is to not go overboard with the amount you eat and to get right back on track afterwards. HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Thunderwoman - Welcome back. Sorry to hear that you fell right off that wagon. Hope this time you will get back on there and stay put. We are all here to help you along the way. How's the little one doing. I am sure he/she is keeping you very busy.

Gator - Maintaining is certainly better than gaining. Sounds like you did well at your dinner party. How long have you had your present orthotics? If the shoes are in good condition may be the orthotics need changing as our feet seem to change over time. Just a thought. Beautiful pictures.

Beachfan- Congrats on maintaining this week.

Have a good day everyone.

Marie.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:21 PM   #67  
Sonya

Talking Hello

Good morning everyone,

Been cruising the recipes and boy do they look yummy. This is my first morning back on SB and already I feel much better.
I weighed 265 or more before I started this woe year before last and didn't think I would be able to have anymore children(I have a 5 yr old girl at the time) well I lost 50 lbs and bingo I got pregnant with my little one (a girl also) she will be a yr old next month, August 18. And at the time I got pregnant I was 39 and when I turned 40 she was 6 months old. Goes to show you what this way of eating will do for you and with the good lords help to. I will be 42 next yr and boy is my little one working me out. lol I lost a total of 64 lbs and had never felt better in all my life. But we all have our weeknesses and my hubby didn't help at all And hes a diabetic but guess what when he comes home from work...no more yucky junk in this house...lol. Ashley is walking and has 4 teeth and 2 more coming in..Well gotta run shes getting fussy.

Thunderwoman62(Sonya) hugs to all!!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 12:47 PM   #68  

Good morning Everyone! Happy WI (hopefully).

I'm down a total of 1.5 in two weeks. Not bad, but was hoping it would be more. I just have to remember it's TOM time and I am working out a lot more, so maybe it's muscle (Hopefully not wishful thinking). Also, no matter what the weight change, I am eating a lot more healthfully than I was.

I've made the decission to try to start increasing my veggies (It's really hard for me cause I don't like them, at all). Hopefully that will help. I also need to start decreasing my serving size, but one thing at a time. I may need to incorporate another startegy like WW to help keep my portions down. I had been thinking of this like Atkins (where I ate as much as I wanted and still lost, but that six years ago and things change with age), but I need to remember that portion size is important too.

I wanted to ask you guys, what you think of a cerial I found in Trader Joe's this week (I tried Uncle Sam's but couldn't handle the flax seed taste, no matter how much Splenda I added). It's called Hi-LO. It has 14 gms of soy protein, 1.5 g fat (0.3 satuarted), 5g fiber and 0.9 g sugar. The reason I was not sure is because the 5th ingrediant is rice flour (does not say brown rice) and the 6th ingrediate is corn bran.

What do you think?

(I may be obssessing too much, please let me know).

Also people have mentioned eating whole oats. Do you mean like what they make oatmeal out of?

Thanks!

Have a great day!
Old 07-30-2003, 03:47 PM   #69  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

AFTERNOON EVERY BUDDY!!!

Had to scoot home in a hurry this afternoon due to a case of rapid
BACK DOOR TROTS!!! I'll be fine for work tomorrow, but right now I'm running back and forth from the computer to the little shack out back! I think that KIMMY jinxed me with her new found
case of IBS!!!

THUNDER....I can't believe that our little SB NEICE is almost a year old! GAWD...they grow fast don't they???? Welcome back girlfriend...so glad to see you again!

GROOVIA.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

BASHFUL...CONGRATS on the loss!!! Sorry you didn't like the Uncle Sam's....it sure does keep you regular! Hope what you found will do the trick!

MARIE....CONGRATS ON THE LOSS...we'll take anything that shows won't we!!!

PANCHO...your sauce sound great...I haven't tried the pasta yet, I'm afraid that if I like it, it will be a dangerous food for me...I love Italian food!

JEC...glad you had a good trip...I know you're glad to be back home...

BEACH...staying the same is just as good a loosing.....Don't you think? At least you didn't go up!!!

ANYONE WATCHING BIG BROTHER???? I didn't like it in the beginning, but it's heating up and I think it will be a good one!

I better get off here and see if I can make use of the spare time I've got this afternoon... I'll check in later...

BOB
Old 07-30-2003, 03:50 PM   #70  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

WHY I FIRED MY SECRETARY!!!!

Two weeks ago was my 35th birthday and I wasn't feeling too hot
that morning anyway. I went to breakfast knowing my wife would be
pleasant and say "Happy Birthday" and probably have a present for
me.

She didn't even say "Good Morning" let alone any "Happy Birthday".
I thought, "Well, that's wives for you, the children will remember." The children came in to breakfast and didn't say a word.

When I started to the office I was feeling pretty low and despondent. As I walked into my office my secretary, Janet, said, "Good morning, boss. Happy Birthday." And I felt a little better; someone had remembered.

I worked until noon. Then, Janet knocked on my door and said,
"You know, it's such a beautiful day outside and it's your birthday,
let's go to lunch, just you and me." I said, "By George, that's the greatest thing I've heard all day. Let's go."

We went to lunch. We didn't go where we normally go; we went out
to the country to a little private place. We had two martinis and
enjoyed lunch tremendously. On the way back to the office, she said,
"You know, it's such a beautiful day. We don't need to go back to the office, do we?" I said, "No, I guess not."

She said, "Let's go to my apartment." After arriving at her apartment she said, "Boss, if you don't mind, I think I'll go
change." "Sure," I excitedly replied.

She went into the bedroom and, in about six minutes, she came
out carrying a big birthday cake, followed by my wife, children, and
dozens of our friends, all singing Happy Birthday.

And there I sat... on the couch... naked.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:06 PM   #71  

Exclamation JUST A FEW QUESTIONS....

Hello All!!!
I am new to the board .... and to SB WOE!!!!! I love reading the posts and trying to take in all that I can!!
A little bit about me....
I am 31 yrs old and just (six months old) had 1st baby!!!! I am a few lbs down from my starting point prior to baby.... but still way too big for my liking!!!!!! (155lbs.) I am excited about this WOE and have a few questions...... I have done atkins before (a while back) and it seems to be confusing me a bit.....

As far as starchy carbs go...... I know three a day or less... If I have a bowl of barley & pinto beans - does that count as two starchy carbs??? I think it does....

Also, I remember reading somewhere....(but can't find it again) about how much chocolate.....(the "legal" kind, 70% coco) you can eat and still stay safe... I like to have my chocolate.... I found the 70% kind... but want to make sure I am not overdoing it.... I specifacially read someones post that said to stay under a certain # of oz a week.... does anyone know what I am talking about...? I think Deb was the one to post the info....

Also, does anyone know about the WHOLE GRAIN RYE from Whole Foods.....(It is a very heavy loaf & not very big....) I just want to make sure I am not eating something I am not supposed to..... It has organic rye flour!!!

Any info would be helpful!!!!

oh, yea one more question.... Is there anyway to go back and update your profile....? When I signed up I didn't put any info because I was in a hurry.... but want to go back and do.. and can't figure out how to do it..... duh......

Thanks again... and look forward to chatting and getting to know you all!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 05:10 PM   #72  

Talking Welcome ange

Welcome Ange!
To edit your profile, look towards the top of the page and you should see a little grey box that says "USER CP" (upper line and to the left. Click that and it will take to where you can update your personal stuff.

Kelly
Old 07-30-2003, 05:20 PM   #73  

Hey, Everybody!

I was off today, and I mean TOTALLY off! I slept late...until about eight I think! Then I got up, ate eggs and toast for breakfast, made a pot of coffee, and proceeded to play all day. I played on the gamecube, I played on the computer, I took a nap, I ate lunch, then played on the gamecube some more, and drank some more coffee, then had a snack of some light popcorn...not totally OP, but better than what I have been having, and I am concentrating on getting off sugar first.... Then I took another nap, and here I am! I feel something like a slug! It feels great! My hands are bothering me a good deal due to arthritis from my lupus, but I am staying doped up on ibuprofen and it is helping some. I feel like I am making progress in getting back OP, but I am not there yet.

Tonight, we have small group, and we are supposed to BYOD...bring your own food. Not sure yet what we will take, but it will be totally legal. Tom is so disciplined...he has not gone off program at all! Not even while on vacation. Makes me want to slap him!

It sure is good to see some people back, and all the newbies! Welcome! Jane, good to see you back, my friend! We have missed you! You too Jecrites! I keep promising to do individual posts, and I have not gotten it done yet! I am so sorry! I am off again on Friday, and will hopefully get to it then!

Gator, I love the pictures of the caterpillars. What fascinating creatures they are! To everyone else, keep on keeping on! We are all going to succeed! Especially with this great support group!
Old 07-30-2003, 05:22 PM   #74  

Question Hi-LO

I also bought some HI-LO cereal at Trader Joe's but haven't tried it yet.

Now that Bashful8 mentions it, is it legal?
------
I found this on the low carber forum from: PANCHO!! (is this our 3FC pancho?)

Pancho
Hello there:

I think some of the best cereals would be plain 'ole' shredded wheat (100% wheat, with no added fillers). Post makes this. Also, I've heard that some eat Uncle Sam's and Hi-Lo Back to Nature. Cheerios in the yellow box is fine too, since it falls under the 3g or less sugar per serving. There is only 1 gram sugar in the yellow box plain cheerios. You can add splenda or fruit to sweeten it up if you want. If you can find something without any added sugar, that is always best, but if not, go for the 3g or under rule.

Enjoy that breakfast!

--------

So, what is the verdict?

Kelly
Old 07-30-2003, 05:31 PM   #75  

Smile A new cereal that I found

groovia thx for the clue on how to update info!!!!
I found a new cereal by Kashi it is called SEVEN IN THE MORNIING!!!! It tastes exactly like grapenuts..... It has three grams of sugar (malted barley) with few blueberries thrown in it is fantabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a.
Closed Thread