Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 02:10 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Pancho- they were acting critical because that way they could "justify" their bad eating. That's okay, you know what you're doing is healthy. I lost a friend of more than 3 years because she got so jealous of me she couldn't stand it. She quit calling, coming over etc when I got smaller than her(I used to be bigger). It's a shame that I did something good for myself and she couldn't be happy for me.

Anyway, I stepped on the scales today(sigh) and was shocked that it was down. Still can't get over that one, but I did pee a good bit yesterday, so it must have been fluid. According to the scales, I'm only up 2 instead of 5. Today, I've been trying to stay busy cleaning,etc and occupy myself instead of thinking about food. This morning I had 2 medium scrambled eggs topped with salsa. Then I had an orange and NSA yogurt for my midmorning snack. I plan on making a cheeseburger and salad for lunch- not sure yet what I'll make for supper.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:14 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Groovia- it's too many starches BUT you're just starting out, so if it keeps you on plan then I say okay. Definetly better than getting hungry and eating the wrong foods and having to start again. However, keep in mind that after a few days you should keep your starches to no more than 3 a day. If you increase your protein, you will find that it helps with the hunger/cravings.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:44 PM   #48  

Default Hello

Hello everyone!......heartmom, pancho, rosalie,monet, country mom, cherylco, melf and missing in action Deb.....and to all the new members and anyone I missed.

I haven't been on here in so long. Today I came on and started reading your posts for this week and before I knew it I had a big smile on my face. I have missed you all.

When we last talked I was going to do WW and try to incorporate the SB WOE as well. Well.....THAT DIDN'T WORK. My weight is the same. I guess I can't do this on my own.
But, as we all say.....I am starting over. I have to at least keep trying.
I wish I could find the magic but I can't. I just have to keep at it.

I will try and check in again soon. Hope you are all happy and healthy.

Jane
Old 07-29-2003, 04:34 PM   #49  
Little Engine That Could

Groove--I agree about the starches. WW bread is fine, but you want to limit it to no more than 2 servings of starches a day. Like you, I also use Pepperidge Farm bread (100% stoneground WW) but I slice it crosswise before I use it, so I can have one sandwich using 2 slices of very thin bread--really just one slice. That way I feel satisfied and allow room for another starch later on. Perhaps you could have substituted some really great veggies for that second sandwich. A big salad, sautéed spinach, or some such thing. Also, fresh fruit might make a good substitute for the pudding. Try to get as close to real natural food as you can. A baked apple, fresh orange, or poached pear might make a great snack or dessert.

Some of the caterpillars are "walking around" instead of eating milkweed, which might mean that they are close to pupating (going into chrysalis mode). Normally, caterpillars eat like crazy. They are basically eating machines to prepare for their little hibernation in the chrysalis. Then they quit eating and start wandering around looking for a good place to pupate. Then they take a big "dump" (sorry!) and kind of go into pre-chrysalis. they sit immobile for a day or so in sort of a "J" shape. Then all of a sudden they give a big shrug and off comes their skin and, voila, there is the chrysalis. It's pretty neat. I'll try to get a pix of the "j" thing and also the chrysalis, if I can get an in-focus picture.

Breakfast: SB pancakes topped with peach, raspberries and strawberries.

Snack: 1 clementine

Lunch: 1 scant cup spaghetti (white semolina) with 1/2 cup homemade spag. sauce. 1 salad.

Snack: 1/2 peach, 1/4 roasted chicken leg and thigh quarter.

I haven't figured the calories yet.

We are having people over tonight to visit with some friends who have moved to Taiwan. They are back in town on a short business trip. We are providing dinner: London broil, salad, rice and bread. Someone is bringing dessert. I plan on eating the london broil and the salad. I think I can handle it OK without failing to stay OP.

Re the Sunday thing, this past Sunday I ate some fried chicken (my fav. food in all the world!!), some cranberry-pineapple-nut jello salad (I love that stuff, esp. with fried chicken), salad (I brought that and it was good), some devilled eggs, some fresh fruit (canteloupe balls), and some ice cream. The amount and also some of the items were definitely no-nos but I just went into "frenzy" mode and did not control myself. It seems like thats the normal Sunday nights for me. There was a coconut cream pie and a strawberry rhubarb pie, both of which I passed on except for a 1" square piece of rhubarb, which I didn't even finish. There even was mashed potatoes with all the good stuff in them, which I didn't touch. But the fried chicken, the jello and the eggs were not good, calorie wise as well as volume. So, I'm still mulling over what to do to get me safely through those situations. I normally take something that I can eat (salad or roasted chicken, etc) but my fav. food is usually there--calling my name!!!

I walked 1 1/2 miles today with my DH before I went to my volunteer thing. My legs were tired and achey, so I'm glad I just did 1.5 miles.

Monet--Thanks for the post from Rissa's web site. It's a good one, isn't it!

Everyone else--Have a great day.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:00 PM   #50  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

GOOD EVENING ALL MY BUDDYS!!!!!

Is it just me, or do the days at work seem TOOOOOOO LONG????
I'm just hating the afternoons....I'm getting my work done really quick for some reason and am having to HUNT for THINGS TO DO!

KIM...I don't know that area, but I sure do miss sights like those falls! If you're ever in the HIGHLANDS NC area, be sure to go to DRY FALLS....My Grandfather owned that land many years ago and had a tourist stand at the falls, selling tickets, trinkets, cider
etc....I spent many a day there with him during summer visits and
loved every minute of it. I have a picture of the falls on my fridge
to this day...It now belongs to the State of NC and now maybe even part of the National Park.. Haven't been there in years, but I know you would love it...
The dress is GREAT....you did a good job. So glad you enjoyed your get together...and I know that MADDIE GIRL is glad for Mommy to be home!

GATOR....the movie is about two activists against the death penalty. He is accused and convited of killing and raping his assistant. They sentence him to death and he requests a particular journalist to come to death row for an interview. That's all you're getting out of me...it's a fabulous movie and you would really enjoy it.

MORE NEW CHICKIES FOR OUR CORNER OF THE BOARD!!!!! WELCOME!!!!! We're a pretty close bunch here and quite the talkative bunch....You'll like it here...Most of us have been here a long time, so that should tell you something!

JANE....Welcome home....now stick around....

FOR ALL OF YOU WITH DOOKIE HOUSER
problems...I agree with BEACH....UNCLE SAMS cereal is the best!
I love it...and I don't have a problem Some people have trouble adjusting to it, but it's all natural and really works...just like the box says.....NATURAL LAXATIVE!!!!

CRYSTAL...no rain today.....YET!!!! I went to the mailbox after work today, and there is a lot of standing water that hasn't evaporated yet...THERE ARE TADPOLES a plenty .....now I've got to watch out for FROGS!!!!!

Speaking of FROGS.....WHERE IS OUR FROGGIE???????

LAURIE...don't you just love that scale when the needle goes down unexpectedly??????

OH OH....Got to feed the FURBABY ...
I'll be back later..

BOB
Old 07-29-2003, 06:30 PM   #51  

Default Hi Everyone

Here's what I had for dinner this evening: home made French onion soup with a couple of tbs sourdough croutons and topped with Italian cheeses followed by Crustless Broccoli Quiche (didn't have any spinach so doubled the broccoli) and a side salad. Have enough left over for dinner tomorrow.

Yesterday I forgot to post. I had Chicken breast cooked in cream of mushroom and onion soup with red peppers and onions and green beans.

I got home from my shopping trip about 2.45 and have been in the kitchen most of the time since then. Had lunch at 3.00 p.m. then had to prepare dinner and do dishes. Have to leave again in a few minutes for badminton.

Have a good evening everyone.

Marie.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:34 PM   #52  

Dinner

Went to a Greek restraunt tonight. I had Greek Snapper (baked snapper with Greek spices, tomatoes, onions and feta cheese on top), green beans and Greek salad...it was yum yum but I feel stuffed even though it was legal.

FYI...to those with tummy trouble. I take Nexium for reflux and for the IBS, I eat lots of fiber and take 2 Citrucel pills each morning. My kids have IBS too...it runs in families...and I make sure they eat high fiber cereal every morning. That seems to help. Also, if they eat fried foods or very rich foods we have problems but that is actually good because they are thin! They don't get to have the same high fat foods other teens tend to eat

Didn't walk today...too tired but will go tomorrow. Picked up my daughter from dance camp and am very glad she is home. I'm not sure how I will be when she goes off to college in 2 years.

Talk to you later.

Anna
Old 07-29-2003, 09:19 PM   #53  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Good evening!

Woo hoo! Just got in from walking. Day 9! It was HOT but great. We walked really fast except for the last half mile. I try to cool off a little before I just stop. Supper tonight was delicious.

I had guacomole and pico de gallo. To much guac but YUM YUM. I had a little snack before walking. I mixed some PB with a packed of splenda and some oatmeal. That's one of my favorite treats when I want something a little sweet.

((((Jane)))) Welcome back!!!

Bob......yucky on the frogs. We have those little tree frogs all over the place. Thier little legs look like rubber toys when they jump. My kids just love em. As long as they don't get to close I like em too.

Anna your supper sound good. I love different cheese. I don't think I've had feta and if so only maybe once.

Well I am one pooped pup....In a good way. Catch ya'll later.

Love,
Crystle
Old 07-29-2003, 10:48 PM   #54  

Just checking in real quick before I head for bed. Scale was still up this morning from the week end, but expect it to start going back down. Stayed OP today. Not drinking enough water, but will work on that tomorrow.

Beach, Thanks for posting the TT from Rissa's site. I know I've read them before too, but needed them again right now! Printed them out & will bring to work with me tomorrow & digest them again.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:02 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 235/185/165

Height: 5'7"

Red face party at work

We had a party today at school (last day for adult students - I teach ESL) so to prepare myself, I contributed cocktail peanuts, grapes, and a vegetable tray and tried to stick to my legal party food.

There were cupcakes to celebrate a birthday, but I did not have ANY --although, I did manage to "accidentally" get some frosting on my fingers, so of course i had to lick it off.

Another questionable thing I did: I ate a guatemalan taco. It was very small, and the only sugar was the flour tortilla. I knew I shouldn't, but I didn't want to hurt little Francisca's feelings, because she made a plate and served me very proudly... so...

I'm also planning a cheating evening because my birthday is coming up (celebrating on Saturday) and by golly, I am going to eat pizza & cake. Do y'all think this is a horrible idea?

Kelly
Old 07-30-2003, 12:47 AM   #56  
Sonya

Wink Hello everyone

Hi everyone,

I am beginning again in the morning I have been off SB for a almost a year and have gained back every hard lost lb that I lost when I got pregnant. I have missed you guys. Any tips would be appreiated.

Melf- Hi there lady I miss getting to talk to you. Hows it going. I am back to where I started. But I am in it for the long run.

Deb- I have missed this way of eating so much you wouldn't believe how very much.

Big Orange Babe-Hi there lady how are you hun. I need the wagon bad..... Stop by and pick me up on the way....lol It rolled over me so many times now I lost count.

Hi everyone else if I missed you forgive me my memory is not so good. With my 11 1/2 month old its hard to remember anything anymore.....lol

I lost 64 lbs yr before last and got preg. Had the baby and was doing well but got sidetracked by all the bad stuff. Now I have to start all over again. But I am going to do it again!!!!!!

Take care and I will be posting more because I need you all!!!!!

Thunderwoman62
256/256/165
5'5 large frame
Old 07-30-2003, 09:27 AM   #57  
Little Engine That Could

Hi everyone,
I hope you have a great day and that WIW is good. I did not lose any weight.

I did, however, get my walking in. Just did 1.5 miles today. My left leg feels "shin splinty" so I may need to check on getting new shoes. I did not think these were that old, but something is causing me some slight pain. I wear orthotics, so either I've been overdoing it (I hope not) or the shoes need replacing.

We had a nice time with our friends here last night. I served london broil flank steak, a green salad with orange segments and avocado, and crusty bread. Someone brought rice, and someone else brought dessert--some sort of gooey bars topped with nuts and melted chocolate chips. I had 3 oz. meat and lots of salad. And 1 of the bars. I must say that they were pretty good.

Thunder, welcome back.

I have some more pictures of my butterfly babies. I brought5 large eastern black swallowtail caterpillars in from the garden last night. They were so big that they probably will pupate any day now. Here's a picture of some more of those caterpillars. The next picture is a chrysalis of that butterfly. This particular caterpillar makes a chrysalis that looks like this. I don't know if I can post both pictures on the same message. If not, I'll post it in consecutive messages. You can see in the chrysalis picture that the caterpillar attaches itself by its tail end and then spins 2 thin threads that it attaches from its "shoulders" to the branch or whatever it is hanging from. You'll have to look closely to see the 2 thin threads.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:29 AM   #58  
Little Engine That Could

OK, I could only include one picture per post. So here's the picture of the chrysalis that those little guys "morph" into as they develop into butterflies. The butterflies look the the picture that I posted on page 1 of this week.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:35 AM   #59  
Little Engine That Could

The next picture of of the Monarch caterpillar that is preparing to pupate (form a chrysalis). This is the fellow whose picture I posted a day or so ago, probably on page 2 of this week's forum. Monarch larvae eat milkweed, whereas the eastern black swallowtail larvae eat parsley or fennel. This monarch caterpillar forms this "J" shape, and about a day later it shrugs off its skin and it then "chrysalizes". A week or ttwo after that a butterfly emerges from the chrysalis.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:38 AM   #60  
Little Engine That Could

This last picture is a monarch chrysalis. It is so beautiful with its jade green color. It looks slightly waxy and there is a thin band of gold about 1/4 way down from the top. In this picture it looks like a thin black line. When the caterpillar in the above picture makes his chrysalis, perhaps I can get a good enough picture so that you can see the gold. It is almost a miracle to watch the change from caterpillar to chrysalis. How can what one minutes is the above caterpillar change in the next minute to this chrysalis? It's God at work is the only explanation I have.

Last edited by GatorGal; 07-30-2003 at 09:43 AM.
Closed Thread