Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 12:59 PM   #16  
Little Engine That Could

Quilter--It worked!! I posted the above picture by clicking on "small" and 3FC actually didn't object to the size.
Thanks for your help and your suggestions.

The hardest part about posting butterfly pictures is that it is very difficult to catch the butterflies sitting still. I've taken a few pictures, but they all were out of focus with the digital camera. I got the above pictures after taking 8 shots. This was the first in focus. When you do close-ups with a camera, I guess things are "touchy."
Anyway, I find the caterpillars pretty interesting, but if anyone objects to the images, please say so and I won't post them. I know caterpillars might be objectionable to some, and don't want to gross anyone out.
The chrysalis that this caterpillar will make is absolutely beautiful. It is jade green with a thin gold band across the front. The gold is so bright it looks like 24ct. It reminds me of something that I would wear on a gold chain. If I can get a good picture of one when they pupate, I will post it.

I had my fav breakfast today. SB pancakes topped with a fresh peach and some raspberries. Then some iced tea to top off the meal.

Oops, the tree man is here. Gotta go.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:03 PM   #17  

Default Eating Out?

Hi!
I just found you. And I need some help, if you don't mind!

I started cutting out sugar and following SB just under two weeks ago. It has not been as hard as I thought it would be (I actually like wheat and wheat products, who would have thought). I think part of what has made it easier is that my DH is doing it with me (at least when he's in me presence) and he's really encouraging me to buy the right foods. Despite this I am having a few issues:

1) I am having trouble finding a lot of different SB legal foods where I live, the stores just don't seem to stock things that aren't made with a ton of sugar. SO I was wondering if any one lives in LI, NY and could offer some advice as to where to go for SB legal foods? I am also wondering if anyone has order any foods off the internet and if they have any suggestions for good sites that don't charge a lot for shipping.

2) The scale keeps going up and down. I loose two, gain two, loose four and then gain 2. Now that may seem like a lot of weighing for two weeks, but I used to weight everyday when I was op (of any kind) so this is a lot better for me. I also know I am PMS this week but I'm worried that it something else. like eating too much or eating hidden sugar. DId anyone else go through this in the beginning and then have better luck (consistency) when they went on?

3)I am having some trouble when it comes to eating out at restaurants or friends homes and ordering in (we usually wind up doing this 1-2 times a week b/c of our crazy schedules). Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make good chioces about food (you didn't cook), so that I don't have to feel like I can never eat out or order in again. It's really been stressing me out.

Thank you all in advance for your help. This board really seems to be supportive of each other and I think that can be a great resource in this crazy time.

Good luck to everyone this week
Old 07-28-2003, 02:30 PM   #18  

Default Monday

Hi everybody.

Boy, it's been a while since I've been on here. We were gone the whole last week. We went to Arkansas to pick the kids up from their 2 week visit with their grandma and aunt. They had fun, and it was nice to have the house to myself. Now we're getting ready to go back to school!

Not much has happened, I haven't been eating right, but now that things may be starting to slow down, I hope to get back in control of that. I'll be able to do more exercise after school starts back. It's hard to try to do anything with the girls at home all the time.

Well I just wanted to check in real fast and let everyone know that I'm still here, just been really busy and not at home. Gotta go for now. Talk to y'all later.

Jenn
Old 07-28-2003, 02:43 PM   #19  

Hi Everyone

This is just a quickie to let you all know that I have heard from Debbie. She is not able to get on the board either to read or post as her cousin is having problems with her computer. The only thing available to her is e-mail. She has decided to stay away a little longer so probably won't be back until the middle of next week. She says hello to everyone. This is part of what she wrote:

"Can't get on the site so can't post or even read. Please tell everyone I say hello. Eating has been horrifying. Everything I thought I'd do I did quite the opposite. I haven't had a nutritious meal since I left home, only junk, junk and more junk. I am trying today to get back on track, I've gained a ton (at least 10lbs) and nothing fits me and I'm soooo uncomfortable! "

She's asked me to start the boards again next week which I have told her I would do.

For any newbies who have just joined us this week Debbie is our Moderator who is away on vacation for a couple of weeks. So if the board seems a bit slow this is part of the reason. Also a couple of our regular members are also away.

Will try to get back on later for some replies.

Marie.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:56 PM   #20  
Little Engine That Could

Groove--It's hard to say why you are crashing about 5 pm, unless we saw what you were eating during the day. Perhaps you could post what you eat.
If you eat lunch at noon, perhaps 5 hours is too long to wait between eatings. You might consider having a protein snack about 4 pm. before you get that "crashed" feeling. A snack might include peanut butter on some apple wedges or on celery sticks or WW toast, some nuts and a peach, a small bowl of soup, some leftover chicken on WW bread, etc.
Definitely don't let yourself get to feeling miserable right before all the "dinner action" starts. SB is not supposed to be miserable.
As for me, I tend to get a "low" feeling about 4pm, so I take a break, sit down with some tea and fruit and cheese and give myself an energy boost.
Good luck.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:03 PM   #21  

Good morning all-- well, it was still morning when I started reading this!

Hubbie left for his fishing trip at 3:30 this morning. So I will have the house to myself for a couple of days. Started shampooing the livingroom carpet and am just taking a break. Can you say 3 dogs??? I always seem to get so much done when I am here by myself.

Brant called last night, and he ended up taking second place in the bullriding. (Actually him and another guy tied for second.) He got beat out with a 72, and it was on the same bull he rode on Friday. Last year he took first here, but second is okay. He has another one on this Friday, but I am not going to it.

Rosalie-- Thanks again for filling in for Deb, and getting us up and running!! Sorry her plans for staying OP didn't work.

Beach--Congrats on the loss. Twenty pounds is wonderful. You are melting away!! Yeah!!!!

Toni-- Good Morning!!

Melf-- Welcome Back. You CAN do this. One step at a time. And you know that it works!!

Gator-- It is tough on us when there are no good choices to make. Maybe you could just make sure that you bring a dish that is okay for you to eat, then you will atleast have that. That is what I do on Saturdays when my family all gets together. Some days I can eat everything there, and other days I only eat what I brought. I know its hard, but look at the results!! Great picture of the caterpillar.

Cherylco-- I feel the same way. And I am at the age where I never know when or for how long!! And it sucks!!

Zanne-- I workout 5 days a week, and then take the weekends off. I like the two days off. Great article!!

Pancho-- That salad dressing sounds great. I need to find a good one, I have just been using red wine vingegar, because everything I look at has either added sugar, or a million grams of fat!! My sister is here from Nevada, maybe I can get her to go with me to the big mall where there is a big HFS.

Fillise-- Hope you are having a great time. Congrats on the loss. That's awesome, and doubly so since you are on the road!!

Groovia-- WELCOME!! Sounds like sugar withdrawal to me. You are allowed to eat fruits, so if that helped, by all means eat fruit.

Bashful-- WELCOME TO SUGAR BUSTER'S! I live in Washington state, and don't seem to have alot of the stuff that those back east have. I just do the best I can. Have ordered a few things on line, but not too many. As for the eating out, I don't do alot of that so someone else will have to help you there. Any lean meat and salad will work, and most vegetables. I am sure someone will be along to answer that right away for you. Sorry I can't help you.

Jec- Welcome back, hope you had a nice trip!!

Well, I better get back to the shampooing!! Back this evening!!
Old 07-28-2003, 04:50 PM   #22  

Hi All

Rosalie: Thanks for keeping us going. We miss Deb but you are doing a great job of keeping us all on track. The board has really picked up today.

Toni: Thanks for the kind words. My motivational thoughts are usually things I really need to work on

Melf: Welcome back. Yes, I came back too. It keeps me on track and helps me remember the important things in life. Like you my job is helping other people and it can be very stressful. I'm lucky that my boss has let me take a break and I am temporarily in a less stressful role. It won't last but since we have such high burnout...they try to help us when they can. I'm feeling better now that I am back here and taking care of myself first. Hope things get better for you. We are here to help!

Gator: If you love your small prayer group don't give it up. Fellowship is so important. Maybe you can take a yummy legal SB dessert and concentrate on having that. Susan's cobbler would be a good one to try. I know how hard it must be to resist, I love good food. Being hungry isn't when I over eat...I over eat when something is very good. Try and see if you can counter the temptation by taking something you really want.

Cherylco: I know how you feel about the TOM...I just finished. Remember those pounds will drop once it is over. Hang in there.

Zane: Thanks for the 12 points on breaking the surgar habit. We've missed you.

Pancho: There are some great deals out there on PCs. I bought mine for less than $500 that included a monitor.

Fillise: WE MISS YOU. Glad your vacation is going well. Mine was wonderful and I also lost because of the extra excercise. See you soon.

Grovia and Bashful: Welcome You find all the support you need here. Some answers to your questions. As for headaches, I agree with Gator. Eat an OP snack before you have the sinking feeling. Cheese, peanut butter, triscuits, fruit anything. On SB, I usually am never hungry. I have blood sugar problems and the SB eating keeps it in line. The key is to know when you usually get those sinking spells and eat before it happens. This should prevent the headaches. My doctor actually recommended this WOL to help prevent my migraines.

If you are having trouble finding OP food, then see if the Information Board can help. There are a lot of foods already in stores that are leagal such as Pepperidge Farm 9 grain bread, triscuits, ww cheerios, etc. When looking for condiments etc. look for food with less than 3 g of sugar. Also, see if you can find health food stores. Debbie is the queen of knowing how to find the right food. She will be back soon (next week) and can help somemore.

Several of us have chosen to count calories or combine this WOE with Weight Watchers. I try and keep a limit to my calories eating 1300-1500 calories a day. This is based on my current weight and activity level. www.fitday.com is a great website to log your food and determine the amount of calories you need to have to lose weight.

I eat out all the time. I stick to grilled fish, chicken and sometimes hamburgers. I avoid rice and potatos and eat a salad or veggies. A lot of the restraunts now have sweet potatos and they are legal.

Grovia: I'm an apple...loved the info. Thanks for posting it.

Teensy: I love it when the house is empty. That is the time when I can really get so much done. I don't mind cleaning when I know it will stay clean longer than 1 second

Gotta run...hope I didn't miss anyone
Old 07-28-2003, 05:30 PM   #23  

Just a quick check in. I am so tired, my eyes keep crossing, so I am going to take a bit of a nap.

I am not doing well, and getting rather frustated about it. I need to just stop the cheating and get back on track, but I am not doing well at that. We had a bunch of company last night to celebrate my older daughter's birthday, and I made spring rolls, moo shu pork, hot and sour soup, lion's head, and ponpon chicken. All were her requests. None of that was very legal, but I ate it all! I even finished off the meal with a piece of cake.

I worked today, and felt so crummy from the sugar and other no no's, I could barely make it through my shift! Coffee and ibuprofen were essentials! Tomorrow, I have to start fresh. I don't want to start gaining.

I am happy that my schedule has been changed, and now I am going to only be working three days. Next week, my starting time is going to be seven instead of six. What a difference an hour will make! I can't wait! I can actually go to bed at 10:00 and get enough sleep!

Tom just got home, so I need to go talk with him for a while. Wednesday is my next day off, so I will definitely be on then.

Old 07-28-2003, 06:07 PM   #24  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERY BUDDY!!!

It's another stormy evening over here on the West Coast of FLA.
Just finished fixing Kate and Skeeter their grub, so I'll see if I can get some posting in here.

Last night I fixed the best supper....Swiss Steak, squash casserole, fresh green beans (potatoes on top of the beans for Kate), and fresh made slaw! YUM YUM YUM!!!

WELCOME to our new BUSTERS....glad you're here and hope you stick around. We're a rowdy bunch most of the time and I think you'll fit right in...just pull up a chair and start pounding those keys!

I'm stitting here watching the STYLE network and there is a runway show on....I swear, if I was that skinny, there would be NO WAY I would wear some of those clothes.....

Hope everyone gets a chance to see THE LIFE OF DAVID GALE It's a wonderful movie, and I'll be surprised if it doesn't win some awards when the time comes.

New reality show Wednesday.....RACE TO THE ALTER.....I swear, this is getting out of hand...before you know it, there won't be ANYTHING on TV but these shows! Now, I like a few of them, but
how many more subjects can they come up with???

Sorry to hear about Debbie's eating problems, but vacation is vacation, and she can get right back on the wagon when she gets home. She's up there where all the good food is, and I'm sure her family is feeding her quite well! Hope Michael finds the school he's looking for.

I'm off to do a few chores....Hope everyone has a good evening

BOB
Old 07-28-2003, 06:28 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Very quick hello- will try to post later.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:30 PM   #26  

Monday Night---

Just a quick check in to see how everyone faired on this Monday. I'm okay. I did go to the dr. today to talk with her about my constant stomach issues. She thinks it's irritable bowel syndrome and has prescribed some meds for me. I have to go back in a month. Do any of you suffer from this? I'm wondering what meds you are on and what you've found to be helpful. I already bought some FiberCon to help sweep things clean down there.

ROSALIE---Thanks for standing in for the Dungeon Mistress. You are doing a great job!

MELF---Oh my gosh, girl, you are doing the KimmySlide. Get back up on this wagon and we'll strap a belt around you. You can get back on track. Just take it easy and don't get down on yourself. It's part of being human to get things out of order. So you're back in the swing again now.

GATOR---Way to go with your picture. As soon as I saw it I was going to comment on how sharp and crisp and clear that picture is. I love the butterfly in all it's stages. You must have a really nice digital. We have a Konica and I like it a lot. I have a picture of me in my new tiedyed dress that I want to post. I may try clicking the small thing and see how that works.

MONET---Hey, girlfriend. Would you give me a swift kick to get back on the TM??? I need some not-so-friend prompting.

BOB---So sorry I was MIA for a while. I thought of you when I was in your beautiful Volunteer state. My gosh, what a gorgeous country they have down there. You should have seen where we are. I may try to post a picture of Laurel Fork Falls where we hiked to in Dennis Cove. Have you ever heard of that area?

Well, to the rest of you I must bid "hello" and "goodbye" for the evening. Take care you cuties. I hope to be on for a bit tomorrow to get on the chat.
Hugs to all.
Kim
Old 07-28-2003, 06:44 PM   #27  

Here's me in my tie dyed dress. Please overlook the no makeup look I'm sporting on my face. That's vacation face.
Kim
Old 07-28-2003, 06:46 PM   #28  

Default One more picture

Here's the falls we hiked to in Dennis Cove called Laurel Fork Falls. It was beautiful and this picture doesn't do it justice.
K
Old 07-28-2003, 08:41 PM   #29  
Little Engine That Could

Quilter-The dress is neat. Did you do the tie-dying? I'm really impressed if you did. You must be an arteest!!

OK--If SB is a WOE for life, and if we are not looking at this as a DIET, then why do we go hog wild on vacation? I'm sad Debbie is having problems with the eating, because I know how hard she worked to get to goal. I want her down to 129 again!! And I mean it!!!
This is a practical lesson to all of us that somehow we must change our mind set, our attitude, and realize that we are not on a special regime that we can't wait to get off of. This is really for life because it is healthy, and there are so many ways we can enjoy food and still be on plan. For those of us who still have pounds to go before reaching goal, this means that we will have to be vigilent about portions and, yes, probably calories. But after goal, we can still be eating good wholesome food, with the occasional ice cream, pie, or whatever, and not totally fall off the wagon.
I'm telling myself this as much (probably more) than anybody else. It's something that I need to get ingrained into my way of thinking. I need to have an "attitude adjustment" so that I will be successful if I ever do reach my goal of 120.
As you can tell from my first post today, I struggle, like Debbie and all of us, with being "on a diet" or eating SB as a way of life.

I have some Eastern Black Swallowtail larvae (caterpillars) in the garden munching on the parsley, and a couple are big enough to be going into pupal stage soon. I may bring them into the butterfly raising screen box so I can keep an eye on them. If I do, I will try to take a picture of one of them so you can see another variety. They are somewhat similar to the monarchs, except that they have green on them. BTW, the picture that is posted is just about life size. Maybe a teeny bit smaller, but the caterpillars are now about 1 1/2 " long.

Lunch today: hamburger!!
4 oz. Maverick brand ground beef from Publix (no hormones, steroids, and antibiotics, and LOW fat)
1/2 WW pita bread, mustard, catsup, onion, lettuce, tomato.

Snack: 1 small scoop vanilla/raspberry ice cream.

Dinner:
6 oz. tilapia marinated in Tequila-Lime marinade, which I later reduced and used as a sauce.
small green salad with orange segments and bit of fresh grated cheese
Ratatouille

In all, I ate about 1000 calories, I think.
The herbal iced tea with fresh lime and stevia really helps get me through the day. It is so refreshing and I feel like I am giving myself a treat.

Melf--It's good to see you again. Hop on the ole wagon with all of us.

Monet--Be good now. You can do this! You are my idol, so get back on that wagon and get down to your goal.

BOB--What's that movie about?

Gotta go.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:43 PM   #30  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Good evening!

Man did we have a great walk tonight. Day number 8 of walking an hour a day...and about 3 to 4 miles a night. I LOVE having a walking buddy. I was sooooo lazy this evening and was gonna bug out but didn't want to do that to her. She was feeling tired and didn't want to bail on me...a win win situation. Yesterday eating was the pits but it's better today. I hate that the scales are staying the same or slightly going up. I want the good old days of going down to come back. Oh well, it'll happen.

Kim...what a neat dress. The picture of the falls came out so nice. I'd love to use it if you don't mind. I think it would make a pretty graphic. It sure is good to have you back at the board. You always make me smile.

Rosalie...thank you so much for keeping the boards going and keeping us ladies motivated and in line. You are appreciated.

Monet....that dinner made me hungry. I think I need a snack now..LOL Glad your schedule is gonna work better for you now. An hour makes a big difference.

WELCOME Grovia and Bashful!!!!! These ladies are the greatest. Bashful, I don't buy a lot of special foods to eat SB. Fresh fruits and veggies.....meat and cheese....I do buy stoneground whole wheat bread (Cobblestone Mill) It's not the lowest sugar bread but one I truly enjoy. Sometimes I get Natures Own sugar free bread. If you have a Wal-Mart they can order you some WW pasta's if they don't have them already. Mine in Texas carries some Hodsen Farm lazagna noodles that are very nice. Hunts makes a sugar free spagetti sauce in the can. Do you get Hunts up there?

Gator....thanks for sharing the photos. Now if we see a catapillar that looks like that we won't kill it. One day the kids found a butterfly in it's case and put it in a jar...would you believe it actually hatched. It was a Monarch. It was really neat watching it come to life. It was hard for the kids not to touch it while it was drying.

Bob...ya'll sure are getting the rain the last few days. Hope you don't float away.

Hey Heartmom!!

WB Melf!

Teensy...second place is great. To me any time they stay up on the bull is just awesome. Robert and I love to watch bull riding on the outdoor chanel. Last year we even went to the local rodeo here in town. That was really neat.

Jenn...hang in there. I think there are several of us who have not been eating like we should. We can do this..

I know I didn't get to everyone and I apologize. (((Hugzzz)))

Love,
Crystle
Closed Thread