Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2001, 04:27 PM   #16  
karen3000

Hi all!

Gloomy day in Wisconsin - ice, snow and rain today and probably more snow tonight. Looking forward to our vacation to Myrtle Beach in April. Has anyone been there in the last 3 years? Just wondering if there is anything new and exciting there since our last visit. Will definitely be checking out the QVC outlet store!

Had a hard day Saturday. Went too long without eating at DS basketball tournament and then went shopping at Sam's Club. The bakery section and food aisles did me in. I didn't eat anything from there, but on Sunday I just had to have some chocolate. I had thought that I was really over the chocolate cravings, but I guess not. Tonight we are going to DS end of season pizza party. I'm pretty sure there is a salad bar there, so that will be my supper. The chocolate was such a momentary lapse, but it really messes up my head. But it's over and now onward.

Somehow I pulled a muscle really bad in my upper thigh and it really hurts to walk, so I can't do the TM for a few days. Bummed out about that, too.

Welcome Debstahl - you will find a great group of "losers" here who are very willing to be your support and your source for information.

Glad you guys had a good time in FL. Send some of that warm weather up here, OK? (Last year at this time we had 74 degrees thanks to El Nino.) Maybe we can send you some rain!

Have a great Monday everyone!

Karen

Old 03-12-2001, 04:50 PM   #17  

Default hi again....

have been "lurking" just not posting, sounds like all is well!
i've have had a busy few weeks. i need to learn that i can do everything!
have been pretty faithful to the SB WOE and it has paid off...am down 20 pounds since i began Jan 1.
still have a long way to go, but my first goal is only two pounds away!
sorry i've been MIA... and
welcome to all the new chicks!
this really is the easiest WOE i've tried, although it is still very hard every day.
enjoy the new week!
grace
Old 03-12-2001, 06:00 PM   #18  

Default I'm out the door

Hey Gang,

Well to day is the beginning of week 3.

I'm still on cloud 9 with my victory at the family reunion Saturday. I do believe after 3 weeks, drinking plenty of water has become a habit and is now part of my daily routine. On to the next step......

I'm on my way out the door to see if I can walk at least to the end of my block and back. Just like the little engine said...I think I can....I think I can....I'll be saying that when the paramedics pick me up off the ground!!!!!

This has been a great day for me!
I'm pumped and ready!

I'll be back....
Old 03-12-2001, 06:39 PM   #19  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Default MONDAY EVENING POST

Tried to get my post on this morning, wasn't able to do so, so here we go, finally!! I got in a nice walk-did 6.5 miles today. It's getting hot here, high of 86 today, and I was sweating up a storm!! But, I felt good out there, and that's what counts.

Heard from KIM (QUILTER) via I/M, she's headed for the beach today. She is so fair, she needs to wear a hat and a ton of sunscreen!!!

I went to Dillards with Sharon & Lauren yesterday. I NEVER go in there, and actually, the only reason I went there was to go through the store to get to the mall-what a mistake! They had sale racks all over the store with 75% off! Michael made out the best-he needed some clothes, Lauren got a few things, and then there is me, I actually bought a few things! All 75% off!!! It's an ususual feeling for me to just pick up something off the rack!! I thank my Mother for providing me a means to buy a few items. I actually bought a long skirt (black, of course)-would you believe, it's a petite small! I thank the designer for making the sizes bigger than they should be-sure made me feel good!! Trust me, I am no where near a petite small!!!

I must tell you all, I tried that sugar free bread for the first time, I think it's Natures Own:confused: Though I like the tastes of the other breads like the EZEKIEL, this one is nice and soft and was perfect for the PEANUT BUTTER & JELLY SANDWICH I MADE!!!! Oh my gosh, was it delicious! I'm not a big PB&J fan, but once in a while I like to have it, but it MUST be on very soft, fresh bread, which this was (by the way, I got it at the .99 cent store). Well, I haven't had a PB&J sandwich in well over a year-my gosh, I savored each and every bite!!!!!!!!!!

I'm up a little on the scale today, though I'm not worried. It will probably go up a bit more before going down as it's mid-cycle for me-I can tell I'm bloated and I surely am retaining water-drank 1.5 liters and only had a potty call once since then!

FYI It seems they have added MORE SMILIES Suzanne said she has a limit of 10 in a post and most likely will make it a few less to save bandwith (whatever that is!). I love this one!

BECCA, so you aren't preg?, well, at least I hope you are having fun trying~ I wouldn't think of it as depressing that you have to lose 70lbs and it MAY take you 1 year. You may lose faster, but whatever the time frame, as long as you are feeling good, that's the most important thing. Don't focus on the weight, just on eating healthier and feeling better. Trust me, it will be a year for me on SB on March 22nd, and time sure does fly by fast-so, whatever time frame it takes for you to lose, don't worry about it, just do it (sound like a NIKE commercial!!!).

DIDJA, I too am not getting notifications for all post, waiting for an answer from Suzanne about this. I hope you have a good week this week, just remember on what you are trying to achieve

DEBSTAHL, please let us know how we can help you out in any way. Please let us know when you get your BIO on the BIO BOARD. Glad to know your chili came out well, can't wait until you post it for the rest of us. Where is CRESTVIEW exactly??? Glad to have another Floridian on the board!!!! Do you have any HFS near you??

CHRISTIAN, glad to see you back on the board! Good to see you are holding your own on maintaining even though you have gone astray from SB guidelines. I mentioned a week or so ago that when I do hit my goal I will try to add some non-SB items back into my diet, slowly of course. What I mean by that is NOT sugary foods, or white rice, white bread, etc., but the fruits and veggies (the ones that I like, that is) that we can't have, and see how I do with them. I have no desire to return to having the "white stuff" ever again-I like the tastes of whole grains far too much. We'll be happy to support you on trying to lose another 10lbs, that is, if you promise to post a pic of yourself in your bathing suit!!!!

VIV, if we get to meet, I think I'm going to have to lay the Jewish guilt trip on you! :wink: That should keep you motivated! It must be something inbred as I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. BUT, you can see from other people's examples that you CAN eat nuts, cheese, etc and still lose. You have to not make excuses and stay on plan and that will get you to where you want to be! I use to be the one who went on a fat free diet and couldn't understand why I wasn't losing weight. People would tell me I needed to eat fats-I didn't want to believe them. Since I started SB, and with everything I read, I know that I can eat good fats and still lose weight-so you can too!! There are lots of gyms offering free weeks, and I thought about taking advantage of them-just getting me motivated to go, well, it's not coming. Maybe one day soon!!!

BARBEE, glad to see you on the board, and it does take some getting use to-have to teach the ol' dog a new trick or two I see Gave Lauren your message, boy was she hmming and hawing! She's so cute, she wanted to call you, for what, I don't know-probably to ask you to ask Justin a question via NSYNC. I told her to e-mail you Hope the interview you get for the other school works out well, I'll cross my fingers for you! Please let us know how it goes!!!

GATOR, thanks for those words of motivation. Glad to hear you are doing well with eating and finding that dairy may be a problem for you. Try some of the soy milks, I hear they are good, just have to find one with no sugars.

FILLISE, CONGRATS on your 2lb loss!!! WOO HOO!!! I too live by the scale. I have a program on the computer that if you don't put your weight in, it estimates it. I like what you said to VIV, and it's true, this IS a way of life, I don't look at it as a diet whatsoever! I'm 10 days shy of my 1 year SB anniversary and I see myself following along this path for the rest of my life.

MSLIZ, like your name too You're lucky the pizza didn't affect you, it's one of the worse things to eat when following SB. From one of the websites about the GI: Pizza keeps glucose up longer than any other food. Researchers compared a pizza meal with a control meal that included high GI foods & found the initial glucose increase was similar. But, for the pizza meal, glucose was still high even after 4-5 hours.

CATS, glad you are back with us. Sorry to hear you were ill, I was too, though not as bad as you it seems-mine hung on for 4 weeks, can't remember being that sick before! Hmm, put the hubby in the dog house for the chocolate, well, that is, unless it was SB legal chocolate, if that's the case, he can stay!!:sneaky: I saw a crockpot book at the book store just last week looked really good. I think is was called Crockpot Cookery, or something simple like that. You may want to check out Ebay as well. I have one, still in the box!! Those icons, thanks to others explaining them, are called AVATARS, you can chose random ones by going to your PROFILE and editing it, at the bottom it says AVATARS, click on that. I did mine by trial and error-have a new one I want to try to post. The lists are still being worked on with the foods, just trying to get menu ideas first, then will work on brand names. If you need to know something in particular, just ask. Sometimes hard if it isn't a national brand item.

RHROO, yep, I would think you'd learn to stay on track and not get sick, but I sure am happy you report this to the board, it at least keeps me in line! I do have the pics, but I got them on CD instead of disc and they are sooo big, taking up lots of room. I'll try to get one or two posted so you can see them.

KAREN, wish I could send you some of our gorgeous weather! Well, was the chocolate you ate at least SB legal, if so, I wouldn't worry! If it wasn't, I still wouldn't worry, if it was just the one time, it won't kill you (now, if you were telling me the same thing, I wouldn't believe you!!!). Hope that pulled muscle eases up on you soon-that must hurt!

MISSGRACE, that's a wonderful accomplishment, 20lbs since the beginning of the year!! CONGRATS!!! So tell me, what are you going to do to celebrate your birthday tomorrow?!? Have a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

STAR, that's great that you are finding this WOE easy to follow and it's becoming second nature to you, it's how I feel as well. I love your sense of humor! I'm sure you did great on your walk. I remember when I first started losing weight, (the first time, years ago) I had not done exercises EVER and I couldn't even make it but a few houses down (zero lot lines almost), and each day, I'd go a little farther. I was so proud of myself when I was able to do a mile and it was in 22 minutes, then it got to 20, then 18 minutes. Well, now I can do 4.5 miles in 1 hour-just be patient and keep on pounding the pavement. Not only will it help you lose weight faster, but it really does make you feel good when you are out there!!!

Eli is off tomorrow so we are going up to Broward, or at least we are suppose to, I never know what may blow up at the last second for him. I'm hoping my Mom can p/u the kids from school, otherwise we have to be up and back from there quickly as Michael gets out of school at 2:30pm.

I'll try to check in later this evening. Please remember, TOMORROW IS TUESDAY TIPS so if you have any good tips you'd like to share with the board, please, try to post them tomorrow.

Have a wonderful Monday Evening everyone!

Debbie
194/135.5/129
Miami, FL
Old 03-12-2001, 07:09 PM   #20  

Default I'm back

Hi Ladies

I've been lazy at visiting the site. I was not happy when it was down and I guess I just took my time coming back! I hope you are all doing well. I fell off the wagon and am trying to get back on! I did get a nice compliment from a friend at work, she said she could see a difference since I started SB. Thats what its all about, right!

Well I hope to read your posts often. I have alot going on. So I hope you all have a great week!

Cathy in Ohio
Old 03-12-2001, 07:32 PM   #21  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Default GOOD EVENING!!! :wave:

WELL, this is nice..the tread is automatically there now to refer to...I guess Suzanne had some complaints about it...SO, I'll start from the back and work my way to the top

CATHY: Good to see you back...about that wagon? Just wipe the grease off your hands and start pulling back up! It will happen!

Deb: DILLARDS???? YOU???? You make me proud!
No hot weather over here...Just like a WINDY MARCH DAY...cool but sunny...
Now, I don't like Natures Own SF bread..I think it has a funny tastes to it. GIVE ME MY SOURDOUGH!!!
Have fun up in Broward...I'm beginning to wonder just what it is you all do up there!

STAR: way to go with that determination...KEPP IT UP GIRL!

MissGrace: LURKING??? taking lessons from BARB???

KAREN: YES YES YES...send the rain.. we need it sooooo
bad over here on the West Coast of FLA

CATS: Sorry to hear you've been sick, but SOOOOO HAPPY YOU'RE BACK!!!

BECC & DEBSTAHL: Good to see you..good luck, and remember...any questions....JUST ASK!!!

Doing laundry to blow off some steam...had an email fight with my brother today, and I'm still steaming...
I'll check in later...

BOB
SW FLA
Old 03-12-2001, 08:01 PM   #22  

Hey All

Here is my motivational contribution for the day:

" A change in your thinking will change your situation
And that will change the way you see your world."
--- Copyright © 2001 Michael Humberstone

REMEMBER ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING. I read a bood recently that said the only way to make a significant change in your life is for it to be visible to others. (i.e. a change in eating habits, spending less money, not drinking alcohol etc.) Knowing you are actually making a change that will last, occurs when SOMEONE ELSE comments on that change. This doesn't mean weight loss but what you are doing...like excercising.

Gotta run. See ya'll later.

Anna
222/139/140
Old 03-12-2001, 08:50 PM   #23  

Default helloooo

Hi Everyone! Boy, you have all been busy as beavers! I don't really have time to respond to everyone, but sure do think of you all often!

Barb: e-mail me your phone number again or call me 615-9440, I misplaced yours. Good luck on the job! It takes a really special person to work with those kids; I couldn't do it, but I am glad you are there for them!

Deb: Chocolate is the BEST! Don't deprive yourself as long as it is legal.

Cath: Hope you feel better soon! I had it too, it was awful! Geez, I give you a lot of credit for doing all that stuff and being that sick!

Geez: the aol idle thing is already happening, so I am going to get off before it kicks me!

I can't think of anything for Motivational Monday sooo

You Go Girls!! Tee hee! Annette

200/196STILL/140
Old 03-12-2001, 09:02 PM   #24  

Default another evening post

YIPPEEEE! Michael forgot to inform me his father would be picking Lauren and him up from school, so that means I don't have to rush home tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!! I'm happy!!!:spinning:

Okay gals, below is a link that will take you to a picture of (from left to right) BIGO, GATORGAL, DEBELLI & BARB-it may take a tad bit to load, and I have to find a way to adjust the color (I hate this CD I got the pictures on), but at least you can have a peek at us! Just click on the link!!!

http://members.aol.com/eldemila/sb_gals.jpg

CATHY, happy to see you back on the board, I was just going to e-mail you to see why you were MIA! :blush: I hope you can easily bet back on track. Let us know if we can help in any way. Just by coming back on the board shows that you want to get back on track, so that's a good sign.

BIGO, I didn't taste an aftertaste with the bread, but then again, maybe the PB was masking it. It's the first time in a almost a year that I ate what I would consider a "funky bread", one with preservatives in it. It won't be a daily habit, that's for sure, I'm not a huge bread lover. Hope you like that SD bread, I'm sure you will. Trust me, I'm just as surprised as you about me buying something, much less me buying something in Dillards! We are going to a different one tomorrow so Eli can see if they have any work pants, and I need to do some returns on things I got for Michael. As for what I bought, well, lets just say, I hope one day to remove the tags!! Broward, lots of stuff up there, but my favorite, OLE OLE is there. They wondered what had happened to us the last time we went, it had been over a month that we hadn't gone, if you can believe that one! Oh yes, and FM will be among our stops to make once in a while when we go up there!

BEACH, that was a nice motivational thought, thanks for posting it! I guess the attitude change will be buying some new things to wear?:confused: I've had to retire a few of my blue jean shirts, they are just ridiculously big on me, and look like maternity tops now-gosh knows, I don't need anyone asking me if I'm pregnant-I got asked that enough when I was really heavy!

CAN I GET A VOTE?!? Can I hear what you all think about updating the BIO BOARD come April 1st? I'd like to have it updated and wanted to know what you all think.

I'm hoping to get in a walk tomorrow before we leave for the day, and at least a quick post-if not, you can be assured I'll catch up with you all later in the evening. I'm going to attempt to go clean up the kitchen some, it looks like a disaster hit!!!

Nite!

Debbie
194/135.5/129
Miami, FL

Last edited by Debelli; 03-13-2001 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-12-2001, 09:10 PM   #25  

Default you asked for it.....

Ok BOB, you said ask?????? What do I eat? one days menu with times???????

I have the book but I need real life people ideas. and a map and maybe a muzzle.......

I still haven't gotten my walking shoes and the ones I have now are falling apart.

Aren't I whinny???? Hey I'm premenstral! but hopefully I wont start.
Old 03-12-2001, 09:45 PM   #26  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

OH...MY...GAWD I LOOK LIKE I'VE HAD A STROKE IN MY LEFT EYE!!!!

BECCA: here's a little of what I eat for a day:

B: 1 1/2 cup UNCLE SAM'S CEREAL
8 oz skim milk
sometimes some NO SUGAR ADDED GWALTNEY BACON
sometimes 2 EGGBEATERS-scrambled in microwave
sometimes SOURDOUGH TOAST
(the sometimes are if I don't eat cereal for breakfast)

L: 2 1/2 to 3 cups SPRING GREENS SALAD
10 sweet GRAPE TOMATOES
1 GREEN ONION
pinch of SUN DRIED TOMATOES
pinch of 2% grated KRAFT CHEESE
NEWMAN'S OWN VINEGAR & OIL DRESSING
whatever MEAT is leftover from dinner the night before

D: 4 to 6 oz CHICKEN (grilled) or SALMON (grilled)
sm baked SWEET POTATO
1 tbs butter (the real stuff)
1 cup FRESH GREEN BEANS (a staple in my house)
I keep plenty of frozen shrimp in the freezer (large) and
just thaw them in a collander under running water. Throw them in a non-stick skillet with lots of garlic and spray olive oil...cover and let them steam. YUMMMMMM

I eat a LOT OF grilled CHICKEN...chicken any way....chicken is my favorite.....chicken is my friend!!!

SALMON....I LOVE SALMON on the grill....just rub with olive oil and throw it on for about 9 minutes...YUMMMM

Hope this helps....Just be sure to eat a lot of good green veggies and salad...if you use canned veggies be sure to rinse them thoroughly....PRESERVATIVES!!!!

Go to the KOSHER section in the freezer at the grocery and get some soups...they are wonderful...just check the labels

BOB
SW FLA

Last edited by THE BIG ORANGE BABE; 03-12-2001 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2001, 10:27 PM   #27  

Default Death Warmed Over

Good lord - BOb - stroke in left yete. What the heck to I have going on? I look like I have been on an all night binge or death warmed over. Geez louise!!!!!
Annette - 763-1782. I know -- we keep talking about calling and never get around to doing it.
Really do not have much to say except it was 90 here today!!! Went from winter right into summer. this is ridiculous. I went to put on a favorite short outfit - shorts are a skort - like culottes -- well put the pants on and they fell off. I have some really awesome clothes and they can not be taken in anymore so am going to go shopping with hubby after payday. Have no idea what size I am. I do know that I can not wear any pants from Catherines --they are all to big.
Whoever suggested thrift stores -- thank you very much. There are many really really nice consignment shops. Think I will go check them out -- will fit my pocketbook just right.
Gator - I dont know why I dont like this -- I just dont.
I know -- I am weird.
Well I hear my pillow calling me.
Went for that job interview and she has to put it on the hotline tomorrow and then I call it and put my namce in for it. then she is going to call the principal and ask that I be transferred immediately. I hope to God he says I can go. The other principal is going to tell him - I want her and I need her. They will be putting me with a SED young man - severally emotionally disturbed but is not aggressive. Thats a good thing -- would hate to have to hurt him. The room I will be in has 5 SED students and they all have their own teacher assitant with them plus a teacher. The room is in the back trailor -- way in the back. So if something goes down I wil park my car close to it and run like **** - well sort of.
Have to get a hepitis shot - a precaution. Have to learn CPR. Another adventure for Barbee!
Gots to go -- everyone take care and keep working.
Didjaever -- where have you been -- I dont see your many many many posts. I know you said you had a final and another exam so hopefully you have been studying and did well.
Nite

Barbee (Barbara)
225/187/?
I post my weight -- where is everyone elses??????
Old 03-12-2001, 10:32 PM   #28  

Wellllllllll...... I was trying my best to improve my posting skills here..... ANDDDDDD, ohhh yesssssss.... stupid puter shut off on me I had really opened up my soul and spilled all sorts of secrets!!!!! Ohhhhhh well, I guess you poor gals will never know now Sooooo... in order to keep my emotions, and temper in tact, I will keep this short this time. This weekend was a bit bumpy. Heck, ALL my weekends are bumpy. What am I going to do. I think I may need a few (tender) kicks in the butt periodically from you ladies. I MUST stay motivated, which I am having a bit of a problem with right now. I guess whenever I stop to think that it has taken 2 months to lose 10 lbs..... I get discouraged. I am not good with patience at all.
Anyways, I will elaborate more with each post. I have got to get this posting board down to a science.
Hope everyone's week is starting out on a great note.... do re mi fa so la ti do

Deb - I have eaten Nature's Own a good bit. The SF is pretty good. I have been buying Pepperidge Farm lately. And a BIG ROUND OF APPLAUSE for the whopping 6.5 miles!!!!!!! You will be entering marathons before long Thx for sharing the pic too, Deb...... it's nice to place faces with posts.

Viv - the days are rapidly passing!!!! Are you packed and ready????? You will be passing over?? or through my neck of the woods on your way down. Think of me

A warm welcome to all the newbies on the board. I will try to acknowledge you all one on one, eventually. I am so slow on here

I will go for now. See you ladies tomorrow. Thanks for sharing yourselves, it helps more than any of you realize

Ann
140/130/115
@@@@@@@@@@@

Savannah, GA "It's a rainy night in Georgia" with tornado watches and warnings
Old 03-12-2001, 11:30 PM   #29  

Default I'm still up!!!!!!

Thought I'd get in another post before I go to bed, thought I'd be dead to the world by now,:dozey: didn't work out that way as you can see. Guess I'll wait for Eli to get home in about an hour.

ANNETTE, (and all others who need this), go to http://www.agentcy.com/ and load KEEPITUP onto your computer. This will help you stay on line. Works about 95% of the time, the other times I think are AOL problems. I've had a lot of problems with being thrown off recently, it drives me batty!

BECCA, I have ideas for menus if you e-mail me with your e-mail address, I will send them to you. Whenever you get a chance, please visit our BIO BOARD and post your bio so we can learn more about you Hope you get your new shoes soon, I have to start looking for another pair, mine are wearing a hole in them, not good. It's a hassel for me to get shoes, so I'm not looking forward to it.

BIGO, Kosher huh, are you joining VIV & I? I'll be looking for that SD report tomorrow!! Tell Ann I said hello.

BARB, wow, 2 times in one day, what an honor you've bestowed upon us. Good luck on getting the new position-boy, I can't imagine working with SED people, I give you a ton of credit! Keep us informed!!!

AMSER, Ann, look at my post to ANNETTE above regarding KEEPITUP, hope it helps you as well. Again, you can always do your post in your mail program like I started doing a while back. Don't get discouraged at all, 10lbs in 2 months is great, what more can you want (okay, you don't have to answer that question!). That's what I have averaged over the last year. Just think, you are losing weight and eating healthy-what could be better (okay, don't answer that question truthfully). Glad you liked the pic, will work on getting others up sometime soon.

AND, on that note, I will now say good-night I'll check in with you all tomorrow!!

NITE!

Debbie
194/135.5/129
Miami, FL
10 more days til my 1 year SB ANNIVERSARY:spinning:

BTW, this is Sharon and I, taken at my nephew's Bar Mitzvah last month.
Old 03-13-2001, 05:47 AM   #30  

Default fallen off the wagon

Big Orange~ Thanks for the support. You really know how to put things!

Deb & Sharon~ You gals look fabulous! Keep up the fantastic work!

To everyone else~ I hope you all have a great tuesday.

I will try and visit more often, afterall, this is the best place to get all the support you need!

Off to work~ Have a Great Tuesday..

Cathy in Ohio
Closed Thread