Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: How many pounds are you away from your intended goal weight?
Less than 10lbs 5 13.89%
More than 10lbs but less than 20lbs 3 8.33%
More than 20lbs but less than 30lbs 4 11.11%
More than 30lbs but less than 40lbs 5 13.89%
More than 40lbs but less than 50lbs 2 5.56%
More than 50lbs but less than 75lbs 6 16.67%
More than 75lbs but less than 100lbs 3 8.33%
More than 100lbs 4 11.11%
Already made goal but a few pounds have crept back on 1 2.78%
At or below goal weight 0 0%
Goal? What goal? Haven't a clue! No specific number that I'm shooting for. 1 2.78%
Other 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 04:12 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

And finally a pic of Boogie's cake(Bob the Builder)
Old 04-24-2003, 04:18 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Don't know what happened to the pic of me but here we go again
Old 04-24-2003, 05:46 PM   #123  

Hi

I've had a busy day. This morning I went with a friend to play a couple of games of five-pin bowling, then off to do some grocery shopping. I've been messing around on this computer for the last couple of hours between running to the kitchen to put supper on and checking on it. I was also checking some stuff on the web. I made some blueberry jam a few months ago and it was delicious. A couple of jars were gifts and the rest went to my dd. Now I would like to make some without sugar. I have found a few recipes, now have to find the pectin to use with sf jam. Then all I'll need are the berries. I made the last batch with frozen berries but I will pobably wait for the fresh ones to come out before making it.

Sef - WHEW! That's quite a schedule. Do you ever stop. .

YellowRose - Spelt Pasta is o.k. although I'm surprised that the sugar content is so high when the whole grain spelt pasta only has 4gms sugar to 40 gm carbs. Have you tried the whole grain? The ww pasta that I use doesn't list any sugar, just the total carbs.

Jack-K - I've never seen the Pampered Chef stuff but I went out to-day and splurged on two new non stick baking pans. I think it's time I ditched my 30+ year old ones. Even if they don't improve the cooking at least they will be easier to clean than my old ones. That's a great feeling isn't it when your clothes start to get too big.

Coco - Welcome to SB. I'm afraid the 50/50 flour is not legal. You should look for 100% Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour. You can get the 'hard' flour which is good for breadmaking or 'soft' or pastry flour which is good for cakes, cookies, pancakes etc. There are some recipes on our Recipe Boards for pizza dough. Just remember to add the flour gradually until you get it to the right consistency. It's very seldom that I need the exact amount of flour that the recipe calls for, sometimes more, sometimes less.

BOB - That was quite a working over you had yesterday with the therapist. Hope she did some good.

Lara - Sorry to hear that you are still in so much pain but it's good to see you post.

Monet - WTG losing those 2 pounds. Maybe all that protein in the eggs released some glucagon and burnt it off.

Sabrina Glad to hear you are seeing results on that metal monster.

DJ - Welcome aboard. I don't know anything about the Muscle Milk so can't help you there. But looking at your menu I think you are not eating enough and definitely need to add some veggies. If you don't wake up until lunch then that is going to be your first meal of the day but you should still have at least three meals a day. So you should try to have a replacement meal sometime during the day, even if it is just a protein drink type of thing. I know if I ever go without breakfast (which doesn't happen too often) I would have to have something like a bowl of cereal/oatmeal later in the evening to make up for it. Other times I've had breakfast between 10 and eleven and lunch at twelve.

Deb - Poor Eli. What were you trying to do to the man. I felt like I had enough to eat Tuesday (didn't post for yesterday). But I would normally have more protein at lunch time. That was a quickie meal from a packet as I was in a hurry. That was the first time in a long while that I had made the Apple Brown Betty but yes, I do like it. I don't usually have dessert unless it's fruit but having just the Zucchini Pizza for dinner I felt I needed a little something more. I will definitely be checking out the SSS.

Jane - I think that is a good idea to plan your menus ahead of time. That always helps. I think the important thing for you at the moment is to do your best to eat on plan and not to worry about losing. If you stick to the plan and eat lean protein, veggies, salads and fruits and keep the starchy carbs, like rice, pasta, whole grain breads to 1-2 a day you should start losing.

Heartmom - They're lovely pictures of Boogie and Mom. Glad to hear the weight is down again. I think we all need to come down there and give that hubby of yours a kick in the butt.

Bye for now.

Marie.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:23 PM   #124  
Goddess

Hey--quick post to say hello to everyone! I just got back from Montgomery and have to leave for church in a few. Must own up--eating not so good today--hamburger, fries, and a milkshake--HORRORS! Must get right back to the program--and it won't be so bad.

For all you blonds--if it make you feel any better, I always had brown hair with auburn highlights--but in my mid-forties it is just getting darker and darker--it's almost black now! At least it's not gray!!!!

Welcome to all the newbies!

Susan
Old 04-24-2003, 09:45 PM   #125  

Happy Thursday evening, everyone!

I had a decent day. Eating was good, but I am still at about 1200 calories for the day, and I just am not sure what to eat to bring it up some. Here is what I ate:

Breakfast: 1 serving of oatmeal with 1/2 cup of blueberries. Tea

Snack: two cups coffee with half and half

Lunch: Shelton Turkey pot pie (you are SO right Deb...the chicken is MUCH better! ) water

Snack: small handful of peanuts, 1 cup ff yogurt with polaner all fruit

Dinner: 5 oz of extra extra lean (4% fat) ground beef, with two slices of homemade bread, romaine lettuce, two slices of tomato, onion, a bit of mayo and sf ketchup, and 3/4 cup green beans

Nothing else appealed to me, so I just stopped with that.

I ran around so much today, I did not get the chance to get on the Treadmill. I hope I can tomorrow, but I have a ton of cleaning to do, since I am having company for dinner, and I MUST clean up the den. After dinner we are supposed to watch a movie, and my daughter has trashed the den pretty completely. I found boxes of crackers hidden behind the chair, within reach of where she sits on the floor to watch TV! I already filled a trash bag with stuff, and then cleaned off the bookshelves, and about filled another. I feel ruthless about tossing clutter. I love it when I get in this mood!

FILLISE: Hi! Glad you are back from Montgomery, all safe and sound. Naughty Fillise! No more fries!

ROSALIE: If you think it was the bacon and eggs, I just might test that theory. If it is correct, I will be one happy Monet! If you find a recipe for sf jam, please let me know. I have about six blueberry bushes in my backyard, and they are going to be totally laden with berries this year!

HEART: Loved the pix! Can't believe your hubby did not remember your birthday! Remember to cry. It works better than getting mad.

JACK: My husband rarely eats eggs. He doesn't care for them. His typical days eating includes two protein smoothies made with whey protein, cottage cheese, a protein bar, a protein and one or two veggies for dinner, and then a snack of something usually rather low carb before bed. I think the Slo Niacin really helps too. The doctor himself takes it for his cholesterol. My husband is just very glad not to be on Lipator.

JENN: Glad you don't have to wait any more to know whether you are or aren't.... Way to go with your schooling! Are you taking classes someplace, or doing them online?

JANE: It is good you are planning how to get on program and stay there. A walk three or four times a week will do wonders for your weight loss!

TRANQUIL: Is that Loop restaurant like a Chicago kind of place? That is what the downtown area of Chicago is called, because the L makes a loop around the downtown area. I am from the Chicago area originally......

Gotta go make my husbands morning smoothie, and one to carry, so I can sleep ten minutes extra in the morning!

Night all!

Old 04-24-2003, 10:41 PM   #126  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Evening All

My flight from Sarasota to Atlanta was non eventful...my seat was fine and a really nice lady who lives in Atlanta but has a place on the Key in Sarasota chatted with me. She and her husband are on Atkins and have done quite well according to her. Of course, I gave her the pitch....but I don't think I got her convinced enough to change.

MONET...I was right....only enough time to squat and run...I don't think I have much more time than that on the way back, but if you will PM your tele # I'll sure try...I think I can find 5 mins somewhere

The flight from Atlanta to Louisville was PERFECT...no one showed up for the third seat, so we spread out...(the guy sitting there)

DEB....I only left today....I'll be back on Tuesday afternoon...

JACKIE...I will call you and who knows...maybe lunch Monday?

I'm off to bed...I'm beat...YES, I HAVE BRUISES TODAY from the BEATING I TOOK AT THE MASSAGE PLACE!!!!

BOB
Old 04-24-2003, 11:26 PM   #127  

Default Monet

I've just e-mailed you a few recipes for SF Blueberry Jam that I found to-day. Page 11 of the SB book explains how glucagon is excreted by the pancreas after a protein-rich meal and causes break-down of stored fat. I don't suppose those eggs and bacon would have caused you to lose 2 pounds overnight but maybe it helped. Glucagon is also produced when the blood sugar gets low. I wonder if this is the reason that Montignac says that if you have bacon/ham and eggs for breakfast you should not have any bread or other starchy carbs with it so you would be getting increased glucagon secretion from both the protein meal and the lowered glucose levels from having a carb free breakfast. Just a thought.

Marie.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:36 PM   #128  

Default This is what I ate to-day.

Zucchini pizza - 1/4 12 inch pizza, coffee with cream
3 candies - no they weren't even sf. They had a plate of them sitting there asking to be taken when I was at bowling.
5 oz chicken tenders with salad - 2 cups romaine and 1/4 cup each carrots, cucumber, celery. 3 dill pickles, 1 tbs caesar dressing.
1 small apple nuked with 1/2 cup blueberries and small squirt of agave.
2 small slices of multigrain Ezekail bread (30 gm carbs)
Beef Stroganoff - 5 oz. beef, 1 cup brussels sprouts, 3/4 cup Egg Noodles, coffee.
Pear - 6 oz.
Peanuts 2 oz.
2% milk - 2 cups.
Water, water, water. I lost track of how much.

Marie.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:20 AM   #129  

Evening everyone,

Welcome DJ,

I have been doing ok the past few days but have been busy.

Deb: Yes I did get your e-mail. I left a message today on the nutritionist voice mail. I'll probably hear from her tomorrow and then I'll let you know. I also wanted to ask if the 'Far East' couscous is legal. It is made from duram semolina and some of them have no sugar added.

Well, it's late and I'm tired. Everyone have a great day tomorrow.

Sheanne
Old 04-25-2003, 07:27 AM   #130  

SHEANNE: Couscous has a high GI, if you get the plain. You can find it made from whole wheat, and it is delicious. I don't use it very often though, because it is more like a rice in GI than a pasta. I see it sometimes at Kroger in a a box in the Middle Eastern section, or above the rice and beans. I get it from a health food store.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:36 AM   #131  

Default Friday morning

I had a big surprise. I walked past the scale and could not resist. Don't ask me why, but I was down two more. New low, it looks like. I will wait until Wednesday to claim it officially, but I feel encouraged. Yesterday, my ratios were good, and I had really kept my fats down. I started out this morning with the oatmeal and blueberries. It really is tasty! I just dump the blueberries in after I have boiled the oatmeal and put the lid on. They defrost and get the oatmeal all nice and purple. This morning I added a squirt of agave, and it was just perfect!

Today is Friday Funnies, and I have some to contribute.

Here is one:

The preacher, in his Sunday sermon, used "Forgive
Your Enemies" as his subject. After a long sermon, he
asked how many were willing to forgive their enemies.

About half held up their hands. Not satisfied he
harangued for another twenty minutes and repeated his question. This
time he received a response of about 80 percent.

Still unsatisfied, he lectured for another 15 minutes
and repeated his question. With all thoughts now on
Sunday dinner, all responded except one elderly lady
in the rear.

"Mrs. Jones, are you not willing to forgive your
enemies?"

"I don't have any."
"Mrs. Jones, that is very unusual. How old are you?" "Ninety-three."
"Mrs. Jones, please come down in front and tell the congregation how a
person can live to be ninety-three, and not have an enemy in the
world."

The little sweetheart of a lady tottered down the
aisle, very slowly turned around and said: "It's
easy, I just outlived the *****es."
Old 04-25-2003, 07:39 AM   #132  

Having a bad day?
There was a case in one hospital's Intensive Care ward where patients always died in the same bed, on Sunday morning, at about 11 a.m., regardless of their medical condition. This puzzled the doctors and some even thought that it had something to do with the supernatural. No one could solve the mystery... as to why the deaths occurred around 11 a.m. on
Sundays. So a World-Wide team of experts was assembled to investigate the cause of the incidents. The next Sunday morning, a few minutes before 11 a.m., all doctors and nurses nervously wait outside the ward to see for themselves what the terrible phenomenon was all about. Some were holding wooden crosses, prayer books and other holy objects to ward off the evil
spirits. Just when the clock struck 11... Pookie Johnson, the part-time Sunday sweeper, entered the ward and unplugged the life support system so that he could use the vacuum cleaner.

Having a Bad Day?
The average cost of rehabilitating a seal after the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska was $80,000. At a special ceremony, two of the most expensively saved animals were being released back into the wild amid cheers and applause from onlookers. A minute later, in full view, a killer whale ate them both.

Still think you are having a bad day?
A woman came home to find her husband in the kitchen shaking frantically, almost in a dancing frenzy, with some kind of wire running from his waist towards the electric kettle. Intending to jolt him away from the deadly current, she whacked him with a handy plank of wood, breaking his arm in two places. Up to that moment, he had been happily listening to his Walkman.

STILL think you're having a bad day?
Two animal rights protesters were protesting at the cruelty of sending pigs to a slaughterhouse in Bonn, Germany. Suddenly, all two thousand pigs broke loose and escaped through a broken fence, stampeding madly. The two hopeless protesters were trampled to death.

What?! STILL having a bad day?
Iraqi terrorist Khay Rahnajet didn't pay enough postage on a letter bomb. It came back with "return to sender" stamped on it. Forgetting it was the bomb, he opened it and was blown to bits.

There now, feeling better?
Old 04-25-2003, 08:26 AM   #133  

Default Friday Funnies

A man is driving down a deserted stretch of highway when he notices a sign out of the corner of his eye. It reads:

SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS HOUSE OF PROSTITUTION 10 MILES

He thinks it was a figment of his imagination and drives on without a second thought. Soon, he sees another sign, which says:

SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS HOUSE OF PROSTITUTION 5 MILES

Suddenly, he begins to realize that these signs are for real. Then he drives past a third sign saying:

SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS HOUSE OF PROSTITUTION NEXT RIGHT

His curiosity gets the best of him and he pulls into the drive. On the far side of the parking lot is a stone building with a small sign next to the door reading:

SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS

He climbs the steps and rings the bell. The door is answered by a nun in a long black habit who asks, "What may we do for you, my son?"

He answers, "I saw your signs along the highway, and was interested in possibly doing business."

"Very well, my son. Please follow me."

He is led through many winding passages and is soon quite disoriented. The nun stops at a closed door and tells the man, "Please knock on this door."

He does as he is told and another nun in a long habit, holding a tin cup, answers this door. This nun instructs, "Please place $50 in the cup, then go through the large wooden door at the end of this hallway."

He gets $50 out of his wallet and places it in the second nun's cup. He trots eagerly down the hall and slips through the door, pulling it shut behind him. As the door locks behind him, he finds himself back in the parking lot, facing another small sign:

GO IN PEACE. YOU HAVE JUST BEEN SCREWED BY THE SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS. SERVES YOU RIGHT, YOU SINNER.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:41 AM   #134  
Wannabe skinny babe

Thanks, Monet and Jane - I needed a laugh this morning!
Old 04-25-2003, 10:08 AM   #135  
"I'm working on it!"

Thumbs down Morning All

WHOOHOO! I think Spring is finally here to stay! That means I'll be outside a whole lot more! I think I've lost a couple of favorite roses. One was called "Sheila's Perfume". It was blush pink and soft yellow with the most wonderful scent. I'll have to see if I can take cuttings if my second one lived and try to start a new one.

Another quickie today.

JACKK--You are oh, so right about getting rid of those wee foil chocolate eggs. As long as I stay away from them I'm ok. But I tell myself I'll just have one, and then it turns into more than one. I've been sending them to work with DH. For some reason I can stay away from the big solid bunnies. I hope that the wedding plan stresses will soon be over--but I know that probably won't happen till after the wedding. Just take care of yourself.

MONET--I think just now I'll pass on moving down! Not that I wouldn't like to be close to you, but I think that now we're finally getting spring! I may change my mind again next winter!

JENN, JANE and HEART--wonderful pics. Thanks for sharing. You all are so pretty.

DEB--How's your dad?

TRANQUIL--Thanks for thinking of us up here. SARS doesn't scare me as I have control over who I come in contact with. And ALL of the cases can be traced back to the original case, so it's not like it's just breaking out all over the place. I'm scared with mosquito season and the West Nile Virus. I don't have any control over mosquitoes biting me. Gonna have to find me an Avon lady and stock up on Skin so Soft!

OK, gotta go hang the wash out to dry!

Bye for now!
Closed Thread