Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: How many pounds are you away from your intended goal weight?
Less than 10lbs 5 13.89%
More than 10lbs but less than 20lbs 3 8.33%
More than 20lbs but less than 30lbs 4 11.11%
More than 30lbs but less than 40lbs 5 13.89%
More than 40lbs but less than 50lbs 2 5.56%
More than 50lbs but less than 75lbs 6 16.67%
More than 75lbs but less than 100lbs 3 8.33%
More than 100lbs 4 11.11%
Already made goal but a few pounds have crept back on 1 2.78%
At or below goal weight 0 0%
Goal? What goal? Haven't a clue! No specific number that I'm shooting for. 1 2.78%
Other 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 10:20 AM   #136  

Morning All: yesterday at 4 pm I got so sick!!! I went home and made the bathroom my new residence - I lost more weight - over night it went back up some but I am still down ANOTHER POUND!!!! 261!!!!! WAAAAAHOOOOOO!!!! Even though that was a really rough way to lose - hope it stays off and more come off soon!

Monet - The Loop grill - is named for the Chicago system! It has Chicago style pizzas, etc. Really great salad place - my favorite!

heart - Great photos - thanks for sharing - you are such a pretty girl!!!

BOB - OMG Bruises??? That is awful!!! Meanwhile you need to write me about Sarasota...my parents want to know the pros and cons of living there...thanks!

Everyone I am missing - hello!!! and hope you have a good day - I have to run!!!

Sabrina
272/261/157
Old 04-25-2003, 10:22 AM   #137  

Zanne - we were posting at the same time! Well you get stocked up with the skin so soft - I am doing so too - the mosquito control went through our neighborhood on Monday night - the truck goes through and blows poison...I have been waiting for them to do this sooner since it has been such a wet winter and spring....hopefully it will help us here....
Old 04-25-2003, 10:46 AM   #138  
Goddess

Thumbs down Good Friday morning

Good morning all--Finally a monring where I can catch up on some long-overdue office work and correspondence. Belle is happily purring in my lap, so all is right with the world!

I need some advice from ladies of, um, a certain age an older. For the past couple of months I've been experiencing fairly regular hot flashes (flushed feeling, sweats, almost like I;m going to be sick--except for I don't feel nauseus). OK--so I'll be 45 my next birthday and I'm thinkin perimenopause--gotta happen sometime, right? Well except for the last week a couply of times these hot flashes have gotten so bad that I've gotten swoony and almost passed out. I still don't feel "sick" anywhere and there is no pain anywhere, the head just starts swimming and I have to sit or lie down until it passes? Is this part of it??? I guess I should go see the Doc., but I keep putting it off.

After yesterday's indescretion, I seem to be back on track. I did ok last night and made SB legal blueberry muffins this morning. I'll take a couple with me to the retreat tonight so I will have a sb-legal breakfast in the morning. I posted the recipe on the second quarter 2003 recipe board. Blue berries will be in season soon and these muffins are GOOD! The kids will be having pizza tonight, so I think I'll pick up a salad to take with me and some triscuits and salsa for snacking.

Tranquil and Zanne--I'm dreading the misquitos too! We've had so much rain lately that I think they are going to be really bad this year. With all the West Nile last year, I hardly got to enjoy my terrace at all!

Tranquil--hope you are feeling better this am!

Jenn in MN--Your wedding photo was beautiful! I'd also like to see a front shot so we can see all the detail in your gorgeous dress! I'll have to say that as bad as the skeeters are down here--the worst I've ever seen are in MN--big as hummingbirds!

Jane--Your wedding photo was also beautiful!!! The story was funny--but I wouldn't have noticed the mark on dh's head if you hadn't mentioned it. Part of the way to help you get motivated is to fix good food. If you take the time and plan you can really eat well on this WOE. Just take it one day at the time!

Monet--I know, I know. And the truth is I don't really even like french fries anymore! WTG on the new two lbs! Maybe it is the bacon and eggs! I get the gwaltney SF too. I cook the whole box so that it is a little underdone and freeze the strips. Then when I want some I take two out and nuke them for about 10-15 seconds and presto--crispy bacon!

Sheanne--Good for you calling the nutritionist!

Marie--Sounds like you are doing great! Keep it up!

BOB--Glad you had a good flight and safe arrival! Enjoy your trip and try not to spoil the baby! Right!

OK--gotta get to that paperwork.

Have a good weekend everyone. I hope the kids let us get some sleep tonight!

Susan
300/256.5/150
Old 04-25-2003, 11:15 AM   #139  
Wannabe skinny babe

Default You've inspired me!

Can anyone give me a brief rundown of the benefits of SB over Atkins? I'm trying to convince a co-worker to switch, but I did so well with Atkins 4 years ago that I'm having a hard time. I've thought about doing full low-carb again, but I really like being able to eat fruit, my Nature's Own bread, SF ice cream, etc. I take iron supplements, so the added fiber is a GOOD benefit for me.

I went down to the work cafeteria to get some tea, and ended up having 4 slices of bacon too! I'm hoping Monet's "diet" works for me.

Fillise - I'll put a shot up when I get a chance. All the pictures are on my home laptop, so hopefully I can get one or two up tonight or this weekend. And yes, the skeeters are BAD! We joke that they're the state bird.

Tranquil - sorry you were sick. That's not a fun way to lose weight!

Zanne - did the frost get your roses? I am just starting to learn about gardening, and want to get some rosebushes for our front yard.

BOB - Is the therapist supposed to *bruise* you? That sounds a little severe! Sounds like you are on a whirlwind trip.

Deb - How did you start off walking? I'm taking the dog out for 1 mile each morning, but I want to build up to longer walks.

ttfn,

Jenn
Old 04-25-2003, 11:28 AM   #140  

Default Good Morning

It's a lovely sunny day here and it felt good to be out there this morning. I was doing a bit of cleaning up in the yard getting rid of some left over leaves, etc. Now I have to figure out what I am going to plant this year. I had my front porch replaced last year and lost a few plants in the process including my peonies so I will probably replace those. Also need to get a small bush and some perennials.

ZANNE - Hope your other roses survive. I think I may have one that I planted last year that hasn't survived but time will tell. When do you prune your roses? I just did mine about ten days ago. Some places I read that pruning should be done in the spring, others say in the fall.

TRANQUIL - Sorry you were sick. Hope you are feeling better this morning. That's not a very nice way to lose but it's still good that you are down some more.

FILLISE - I've never heard of those symptoms you describe accompanying hot flashes but it's posssibly one of the effects of the hormonal changes that occur. I'm no expert and I really didn't have a problem when I went through menopause. I think it would be a good idea to get it checked out by a doctor. Enjoy your weekend.

Bye for now. Have a good day everyone.

Marie.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:47 AM   #141  
"I'm working on it!"

ROSALIE--I've read the same things. I've been pruning in fall and then in the spring I prune off anything that is dead. I'm giving the bushes a few more days as some that I thought were completely dead last week, now have some new growth just sprouting. I'm pretty sure I've lost one of my tree roses that I had in a pot. I did what I had done last winter (as I was told by the garden centre guy), but this year I guess was too cold and long for it.

JENN--I think the really harsh winter got some of my roses. I thought that the frost from "the return of winter" we got last week might have done something, but that didn't seem to have bothered them. Roses are lovely, but they are also a lot of work.

FILLISE--sorry I can't help you with the hot flashes. Glad you are back on track today. I'd hate it if I couldn't use my back deck. It is pretty shady in the very back of our yard due to the big trees. I'm sending DH up the trees soon to cut off branches so we'll get a lot more sun back there.

TRANQUIL--sorry you were sick. I'd take the loss too, no matter how it came! I don't think they're planning on the trucks coming round to spray just yet--they want to put poison pellets in the storm drains to kill off the larvae. But so many people have other places on their properties with standing water. Maybe I should just cover myself in vasoline and the little mosquitos can slide right off me!

Ok, time to walk over to the store. They have strawberries on sale and they are oh so good!
Old 04-25-2003, 11:52 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Hey it's Friday.

Only 2 weeks from today. Gosh that makes me nervous.

THe bacholorette party is tomorrow night. I think it is going to be tame. DD is very backward and quiet. (not a bit like me)! She didn't want to go to bars (plus other DD is not old enough) and she didn't want a stripper (darn the luck). So we are going to a friends's house and playing drinking games. Sounds pretty dull to me.

Have another busy weekend planned. Derby festivities have started here. The big mini marathon and big marathon are tomorrow. We go down early and watch the runners come in. We have several friends running. Them my nephew's birthday party, then to Lexington to get a load of stuff from the dorm of my other DD's and then stay in Lexington for my great nieces first communion and then right back home for the bacholorette party at 9:00. So I will be leaving around 7 a.m returning about 2 a.m. Good thing I can sleep in Sunday.

Heartmom, Loved the pics of Boogies' party. You are so beautiful.

Yellow, glad yoiu modified that shirt so you can get so wear and motivation out of it.

Rosalie, I need some new pizza pans. Mine are 30 years old too and in pretty bad shape. But we don't make pizza like we used to so I guess it really doesn't matter.

Fillise, what happened? Did something take over your body? You will be fine just jump RIGHT back op. Remember your Derby Day promise. I may have to ask the Pope to start Lent over again Glad you are back on track today and sounds like your planning for the retreat. Have fun with all those kids. Hope YOU learn something. Can't answer you about the hot flashes. I'm not old enough. haha. Seriously, I really haven't experienced any of that stuff. Except for no periods.

Monet, Your meals sounded gound for yesterday. Looks like you had enought to eat to me. I love to clean like that and actually see what you accomplished. Congrats on your new low. Hope it holds until WIW too.

Bob, glad you had a nice flight. You probably gave the lady enough info to maybe think about SB. Lunch would be great. Give me a call.

Zanne, glad it is warming up for you. It was warm here, but the last couple of days it's been overcast and cool. I'm ready for hot weather.

Tranquil, sorry you were sick. Hope you are feeling better today. Not a good way to lose wt, but we take it any way we can get it.

Have a great day.

Jackie
257/154/145
10-10-01
Old 04-25-2003, 12:09 PM   #143  

Default Roses

Zanne & Rosalie: We have several rose bushes and a good friend of ours who is quite good at growing rose bushes told us never to cut them back in the fall. They should only be cut in the spring. You should cut them back quite a bit...to the green. We do this and it is scarey but boy you should see them when they come back!

My father used to cut his back every fall and each one would die over the winter. It got to be a joke that we gave him new rose bushes every fathers day. He has been gone now for over 3 years and each time I work on our rose bushes I think of him. He always tried so hard to get them to bloom!
Old 04-25-2003, 12:36 PM   #144  

Default Hi

ZANNE - I heard on the news yesterday that next month you will be able to buy LARVICIDE to put on those wet areas to kill the mosquito larva before they hatch. Apparently before you needed a permit to buy this stuff but they are going to make it available to the public this year because of the West Nile. They didn't mention the name of the product but I was reading about it in the paper a couple of weeks ago and there is one called METHOPRENE and the other one called BTI. We're going to have to get some for our cottage as we have a couple of swampy areas in the bush.

JANE - Thanks for the info on the rose bushes.

JACK-K - Looks like another hectic weekend for you. Just two more weeks to the wedding. The days will just fly by and it will be over before you know it.

Gotta run. Off to badminton.

Marie.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:47 PM   #145  

Default hi

JackK - have fun at the shower - it will probably end up being really fun wants you get there and it gets started and everyone is silly! Too bad about the stripper!!!

Zanne - that is too funny about them sliding off with the vaseline!

Rosalie - I too need to get out with the shovel and some new plants to put out....I had planted Bird of Paradise and it is looking really good!

I am feeling better - still having some tummy trouble...made the mistake of eating salad for lunch! ooops, not what I should have eaten! Just trying to be so good....but I will survive it - at least I don't feel like throwing up! That is the worst!

I better get back to work!

Sabrina
Old 04-25-2003, 02:02 PM   #146  

Default Butter Question

Hi Everyone
Hope everyone is doing ok. Hope you all dont mind if I post here. I had the other day. This board seems really busy. My Hubbys Dr put him on the Sugar buster Diet. We are doing so-so with it. So we are going to do this together. But my question is this. I have been reading the books. But I cant really seem to figure out which butter we should use. I know we have to watch and limit our butter. But what one. We have been using I cant believe its not butter. And also Benecol Light. So if any one can give us any ideas I would apprecitate it. And did I read in a post that carrots are now allowed. In the book it says no. I am going to have to see if there is a health food store near by. I use splenda all the time. Will have to see about the stevia and the negtar. I have also done Weight Watchers. Wonder if you can follow Sugar busters and still do WW to. I try and keep track of my points. Well I better stop bothering all of you. But I just have so many questions. I guess I will have to try and read alot of the postings. Thanks for all your help. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
COCO
Old 04-25-2003, 02:28 PM   #147  

ROSALIE & ZANNE: You should cut your roses back to about thigh height in the fall to keep them from being whipped about by wind in the winter. The should be pruned in the spring, when the forsythias are blooming. Jane has it right...you cut off all dead wood, and cut back to healthy cane. If the center of the cane is not white, cut more. I cut mine down to about six inches to twelve inches max, and they do very well. I realize my growing season is a lot longer than yours, so you may not get the giants I get by fall, but that is the universally accepted pruning rules. I lost three of my 55 or more this year, and added four new ones. If you want advice from rosarians in your area, check out the Garden Web rose forums. Also, the American Rose Society has lists of Consulting Rosarians, and their emails. I know you two are in Canada, but I bet the Canadian Rose Society has CRs too, and they are always willing to answer questions, and give good advice. Many of my roses are blooming already. The rest are covered with buds. I can't wait!

COCO: You are NOT bothering us! We are very glad you are here! I don't know what to tell you about those butter substitutes. I use the real thing. I would rather have butter than the trans fats in margarines, which are worse for you than the butter! Carrots are allowed now. It is best to eat them raw, and not overdo them. There are some ladies on here that do SugarBusters, but count weight watcher points. I will let them fill you in on what they are doing. My husband's doctor suggested SugarBusters to him, too. It has helped his cholesterol and triglycerides a lot. He also takes Slo Niacin to bring them down, and it helps a lot.

FILLISE: Don't know what to tell you about the severity of your hot flashes. I had a few a few years back, but I started taking Evening Primrose Oil and Black Cohash, and I have not had one in years. I think the Black Cohash is one of the best herbs for hot flashes, so if the doctor says that it is perimenopause, try it. Get standardized ones, and remember that it may take a few weeks to really notice a difference, but it does work!

JACK: How smart to have the Batchelorette party two weeks ahead of time! My daughters was the night before, and it was a BIG mistake! Her sister, who was the maid of honor, tried mixing liquour and beer. All the pictures of her at the wedding, she looks green. She even had to slip out of the ceremony and get sick, again. I wanted to strangle her! So did her sister! We try not to laugh about it, because she is very embarrassed about it. Have fun! (I was not invited to my daughters! Just the young women went! I am sure they were afraid I would cramp their style! Little do they know! )

TRANQUIL: Glad you are feeling some better! Do eat stuff that is easy to digest! We don't want you to be sick anymore! I had some tummy trouble last week. It was not too severe, but boy did it linger! Its better now. I hope yours is not the long term kind!

JENN: I will address your question about SB vs. Atkins later...I have got to go do some more cleaning then cook dinner for company tonight. I have done both too. I think SB is much better. It includes all the food groups and is easier to follow! No counting carbs and obsessing over whether you went over, or there were hidden carbs!

ok, off to clean some more. I am probably working off major calories! I rearranged my den, vacuumed behind and under all the furniture, threw out clutter, and more clutter, moved about a ton of stuff up to my daughter's room, (she dumps all her stuff in the den when she gets home...it was awful!) The room looks pretty nice now. Now on to making dinner...and I think I am going to have to go to the store before I cook! I am making Chinese cuisine, and everything will be legal!

Later all!
Old 04-25-2003, 02:58 PM   #148  
Wannabe skinny babe

Coco, yes you can do Weight Watchers and SB! Just count your points for the foods you eat, and make sure they are SB legal. It's actually really complimentary, as W.W. makes sure you get enough food (but not too much) while SB weeds out the junk. One of my big complaints is that W.W. will let you eat McDonalds as long as you stay within points. Not that we all don't sometimes eat something we know we shouldn't (Lord knows I do) but eating a Big Mac everyday is NOT good for you, regardless of whether or not you have the points for it. Know what I mean???

Good luck, and stick with it. It gets easier!

Jenn
Old 04-25-2003, 03:51 PM   #149  

Hi

COCO99 - Go ahead and ask all the questions you want. Someone here is sure to have an answer for you or at least be able to direct you where to find the answer. We are all here to help and support each other in this woe and we are glad to have you with us. You can use regular butter, but use it in moderation. I am not familiar with the ones you mentioned so can't comment on them but I do prefer to use the regular butter over the margarines and other spreads as most of them have hydrogenated fats which are not good. Carrots are allowed in moderation. Raw ones are better as they have a lower gi than when they are cooked. Cooked carrots were a no no before but since the GI lists and the SB book were first published they have done more testing on carrots and found that the gi is lower than what they originally thought. Some people on this board do both WW and SB.

MONET - Thanks for the info on pruning roses. I did check out some of those web-sites when I first planted my roses and printed out a few articles. Last year I didn't cut them at all in the fall but previous years I think I did do some cutting in the fall and then cut them right back in the spring. I certainly couldn't handle 55 plants. I've only got a total of 6, three in front, although one didn't do well last year so that may be kaput, and three I planted in the back last year. One of these didn't do too well. I think it may have been too close to my rambler and didn't get enough sun. Did you get the recipes I e-mailed you last night? I sent them to your yahoo address that I got from your the bio board as I didn't notice an address for you on Deb's last e-mail.

Marie.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:01 PM   #150  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good afternoon. The weekend is almost here. Yeah!

Rosalie, yes the days are flying by so quickly now. I'll be glad when it's all over.

Tranquil, be careful what you eat. This is the time I miss my saltines and chicken noodle soup. Feel better.

Coco, you are no bother. This is a support group and we are here to help each other. I use real butter. What little I use. Carrots are ok. In moderation. Several people here to WW points along with SB.

Monet, The ususal custom now is to ahve it the week before the wedding to prevent just what happened to you all. In my day, they were always the night before too. I'm not sure DD really wants me there, but too bad. All of MY friends are coming too. Heck we have to show these young girls how to have some fun.

Jenn, on SB vs Atkins. You cannot stay on Atkins for life. It will kill your liver (so I've read). But SB you can do forever. Once you get off of Atkins and go back to eating thjose foods again, you gain wt. SB is a healthy WOE which you can do forever. WW will let you eat your points in candy bars if you want. We know that's not good. Plus there is no counting with SB, eaxcept for 1-2-3- starachy carbs. A no-brainer to me. If I had to choose I would do SB, WW before Atkins. Just my 2 cents.

Deb, where are you today?? Hope everything is ok.

Have a great weekend. Don't think I'll be back on unless it's Sunday. Hope I'm not hung over.

Jackie
257/154/145
10-10-01
Closed Thread