Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: When you eat a salad at HOME/FAMILY/FRIENDS (not in public) do you:
I measure out 1 serving 3 10.71%
I measure out 2 or more servings 0 0%
I guesstimate a serving when I put it on 7 25.00%
I pour on the dressing, with no regard for serving size 5 17.86%
I measure then dip my fork in the dressing then pierce the salad 1 3.57%
I don't measure I just put it on the side and dip my fork in the dressing then pierce the salad 2 7.14%
It varies 6 21.43%
I don't use dressing, eat it plain or with spices 1 3.57%
I don't eat salads 1 3.57%
Other 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 06:36 PM   #61  

Default Here's a test

Hi Guys!

I'm trying a test with a new post-writing program.

It supposedly lets you add the codes easier.

So this is only a test.

Kim

Last edited by The Quilter; 04-01-2003 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:52 PM   #62  

Hello all!
I so sorry that I have been away from the board for so long. Have miss being here, but a lot was going on in my life that just blew me out of the water & almost out of my job as well. Was having a hard time dealing with the situation. Yes, I know that you wonderful friends here on the board would have given me words of encouragement, but I was in such a state that I did not even feel that I SHOULD be posting. Dh almost didn't cope with me, I knew that I could not subject all of you to the mood I was in. But I'm ok now....on the road to recovery & back to my normal self.

Sorry to have worried some of you. Debelli Thanks for checking on me. Enjoyed our talk. You really lifted my spirits.

Will try to read some of the posts later, but right now I need to fix supper for dh who will be here soon.

Last edited by Melf; 04-01-2003 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:00 PM   #63  

Default Happy Tuesday

Just wanted to check the board and see what I missed since yesterday - I had a very busy day at the office, a delicious salad for lunch - and tonight I making salad and then heading out the door for a walk and will miss the Chat....Sorry!!!

Monet - Missed you too!!!

JackK - weigh yourself down so you don't get blown away!!!!

Linworthy - Great photo!!!

Fillise - I do miss my parents! It was the first time in over 6 years that they have been here to visit - and first time they saw my house - which I bought over 4 yrs ago!

I am sorry to cut this short but I have to help kiddo with homework and fix his dinner.... I have read posts and glad to be back on line with you all again....

Stay OP - and have fun on chat tonight!!!

Sabrina
Old 04-01-2003, 07:12 PM   #64  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Yooo Hooo, I'm back!!!

Long day, but nothing exciting to report so I'm going to jump on to the replies I need to do to catch up...

LDBLOND, keep up the great work! I don't know how you could stop at 2 bites, I sure couldn't! One bite and being OP is history for me, unfortunately. Something I still have to deal with, it's all or nothing. Right now, it's nothing

TEENSY, sounds like you got quite a contraption there. Doesn't sound like it's too big either. I really need to find some exercise besides the walking/jogging. I really want to try rebounding but I don't want to spend the money (that I don't really have) to find out I hate it. Good luck with TED'S surgery tomorrow. We'll all throw good thoughts your way. Please let us know how things go when you get a chance.

MIATA, well, hopefully, DH is having a good time AND looking to bring you home a great bday present! At least he'll be home before the big day. Any plans? Sounds like you had a great workout!!! Would DD have to go overseas even if the war is over by then?

JANE, advice that ROSALIE gave you was pretty sound, she knows her stuff. You not only want to read the sugar grams but the ingredients as well, you want to make sure that there's not anything else you shouldn't have in there (like corn starch for instance). Remember, a starchy carb serving is approx 80 calories and 15 grams of carbohydrates. The pretzels are okay, but watch your portions. The crab cakes, you have to be careful with the breading they use, probably white bread, BUT, please remember this very important information that many people tend to forget...if you have a high GI food and you pair it with a low GI food, you'll get a moderate GI rating of what you eat. Can't comment on the Carnation, don't know what's in it, but if you want to list the nutrtional info and ingredients, I'll give you my 2 cents worth of advice. Grapes, strawberries and clementines are all fine, just make sure you know what a serving of fruit is. I use to eat a huge Asian pear and count it as 1 fruit, but then I found out what a serving actually is and in horror found out I was eating the equivalent of about 3 fruits. As for the juice, just think about how many oranges had to be squeezed for that one glass. Unless you use those tiny ones, it was probably quite a few. As ROSALIE said, better to eat the oranges. The first few days are the hardest, your body is craving the sugars. Honestly, it's best if you can get past these cravings, your body doesn't know real from fake. BUT, if this will keep you OP, then finding an alternative that fits the plan is better than the other alternative of eating chocolate. I make a "milkshake" with carob powder which is delish.

SERENE, just remember, the more you stay OP the closer you are to getting below the 200 mark AND coming to visit

JACKK, I like that idea, a day just for Deb. I think for my next b.day I'm going to request a day at the spa. It's been offered to me before and I declined, but I think I'm ready. Hope you get in your walk this evening, sounds like your weather is getting better up there! Hope everyone responds quickly to the invites, hate those who wait til the last second! Did you ever come up with a poem for the charms?

JEC, hope you are feeling better, sorry to hear that you're under the weather!

FILLISE, what's wrong? Hope you are feeling better! Sorry to hear about your Aunt's condition, but I'm sure it's an eye-opener! My DM is on pills for diabetes and still, she's eating ice cream! I know it's hard for her, but she has to try. Well, with the car today, I'd say it was about 60% in the car, but at least it wasn't with the kids, and better yet, I wasn't driving!!!!!!!!!!!

ROSALIE, good advice you gave JANE! Wow, that's great, 5 sessions of badminton! Sounds like good exercise. I'm sure as the weather gets better up there you'll varie your exercise. Line dancing? You never cease to amaze me!! Are you going to wear a Steston??? Well, we can throw that recipe out the door! Sorry it didn't work out, but good to know. Wonder why it didn't though. Will have to look at it and see what happened, did I miss something? I got a new book today that has a oatmeal cookie recipe in it that sounds great. Not sure how it would come out OR taste though

COUNTRY, still waiting to see if SUZANNE replies. Hoping she will soon. Again, thanks for all the work. I'll be calling you one day soon!!!! Can't wait to actually talk to you!!! That's great what ROBERT is trying to do, tell him good luck!

TRISH, cheddar Triscuits? Legal? Sounds yummy! That's wonderful that you'll get to meet up with ROSE soon. Give her a big hug for me when you see her!!!! Where are you two going to meet? Good job on staying OP yesterday and today, and here's looking forward to tomorrow!

LIN, I'm going to try and remember to ask MICHAEL to see if he can make it smaller, I'm sure he can, I just have to remember to ask him when he gets home, that is, unless COUNTRY comes through first. She's so good at this computer stuff, just wait, you'll see what she's doing for us! No, I don't get those recipes. I don't subscribe to any of the boards out there, I get enough mail as it is that I have to go through, I can't imagine much more. Guess I'll have to count on you to post the good sounding recipes you get

MELF, glad to see your post and even happier to have had the chance to talk to you. You've been greatly missed on the board and it's good to have you back!

TRANQUIL, will miss you at chat, but if you are out exercising, then you have a VERY good excuse!!! Enjoy, it must be wonderful to walk up there tonight!!!

Seems I'm caught up - YIPPEEEE!!!!

Again, a reminder that TONIGHT IS CHAT AT 9:15PM EST!!!! and of course, how could I let you all forget that TOMORROW IS WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY!! I wish everyone good luck on the metal monster. I'd actually like to step on that piece of crap but since TOM is due on Friday, I'm thinking it may be better to wait. I'm really liking not being on the scale. I feel like I'm no longer much of a slave to the darn contraption.

See you guys in the chat room later!!!

Toodles

Debbie
Old 04-01-2003, 09:00 PM   #65  

Default TUESDAY NIGHT

Hello, Happy Tuesday Night!

I hope your days were great! I had a pretty nice day, but my stomach has been kind of upset all day. When I went to bed last night, it was making all sorts of noices inside and really churning. This morning I felt okay on the TM, but it's been off and on upset most of the day. I hope it's just a hormone thing that will pass by morning.

TEENSY----I'm glad to hear that your new Total Body Trainer is here and that you like it. You are going to get all buffed up before you know it. How fun getting a new piece of equipment. I would love to have the Total Gym. Perhaps that can be one of my rewards for a monumental weight loss or something. Hey, prayers are going up for your husband and his surgery on Wednesday. I pray it all goes well and that he's back to 100% asap. So you have fur children too? I knew we had a bond. I love all animals, but especially dogs. You are so smart to plan ahead on your meals. That's going to be great for you. Planning ahead is always a wise move.

MIATA----I sure do hope your husband gets home all in one piece. Man, you are way calmer about that than I would be. When Paul goes to MO to play music with his bros, he knows to call or reap my wrath. LOL. One good thing is that he has a group of people he has a lot in common with. That must be such a nice thing for him. Very therapeutic.

MONET----Well, you sure have a great relationship with your doctor. I think that's great that your daughter likes him so much. I sure do hope that this new dosage helps you. Won't that be just great when you get this all straightened out? I'll bet you are so ready for that day to come.

JACKK---Don't you love when you sleep straight through the night? I sure do, because it doesn't happen very often. To be truthful, I've been sleeping so much better since putting the regular exercise into the weeks. You know, I always wear tights. I just can't stand the color of hose. They look terrible with my pasty white legs. Now I have something else to worry about . . . saggy knees. Yikes, is that all the skin that was around the thighs? If so, I've definitely got a problem. LOL

FILLISE---I sure hope you are feeling better by now. Was it a flu bug? Perhaps some freshly squeezed orange juice will make you feel better! I know you've got plenty of that!

ROSALIE----I'm afraid I must disagree with something you said. Girlfriend, you can never be labeled as lazy. No way, no how!!! You are just hitting a little post-vacation wall. You'll be back to your regular game plan soon and you'll be seeing that 195 mark and then that 190 mark. And by then you'll have passed me up and left me in your dust. So come on, get with it! You know you can do this!!! I'm glad you enjoy my posts. You are such a sweetie!!! I feel the same way about yours!

COUNTRY----Girl, that's a short, short night for you last night. Makes today no fun indeed. I sure hope you can get to bed earlier today and then be feeling better tomorrow. How long have you been mowing this season? Or do you have to mow all winter? We haven't mowed yet and I noticed tonight that it's tickling Maddie's belly in parts of the yard. Time for a trim! I hate to start mowing, because then you know it's a regular obligation after that. Guess, I should remember to wear my pedometer if I mow. Might as well get something good out of all that work. LOL.

TRISH---So glad to hear that you are having a better day. Keep with it, and you'll be doing great. Give YELLOWROSE a hug from me when you get together.

LINWORTH----Hi, friend! I'm glad you like my posts. I like to consider myself a writer, but I've not got much to show from it. I have all these ideas for stories, but just never get around to writing any of them. My boss thinks I need to put all the funny stories from me growing up into a book. There are some really good ones. I was such a klutz and nerd. I might need therapy if I actually wrote all these humiliating things down. LOL

MELF---Welcome back, Sister/friend!!! I was wondering where you've been. I sure hope work gets better soon. That's no fun being in a bad situation at work. I'm sending you some good positive thoughts in hopes that it gets better. What's that old saying about it being hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys? Perhaps you just have too darned many turkeys in your life. HUGS!!!!

Okay, that's enough from this end. Just finishing in time to hit the chat. GOOD LUCK TOMORROW ON WIW!!!!! Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you.

Kim
Old 04-01-2003, 09:32 PM   #66  

I'm soooooo heartbroken!! I was in chat & started having problem uploading my message, so tried to log out & back in, but never could get back to the room! WHAAAA!!!
Old 04-01-2003, 09:57 PM   #67  

Post Tuesday night

I want to thank you all for wishing me to feel better. I feel o.k. as long as I don't have the ding dang fever. I had some oranges today, so maybe that will help out with the vitamin C, since I don't have any in the house. I don't take a whole lot of vitamins and herbal supplements and stuff since I had a problem back in 2001 with a fake tumor in my head; I guess I'm just scared of them all, even though the neurologist I saw said that it had probably been coming on for a long time and was probably also due to my weight. I just stick with my prescriptions for my blood pressure and cholesterol and alergies and some tylenol and motrin for pain. I'm really hoping that I will feel much better tomorrow, I want to get this exercising down to 5 days a week, but it's kind of hard when you feel like crap. Although I did start it this morning only to have to stop because I was feeling lots worse. I'll let everyone know tomorrow how I'm feeling. I've got to get to bed for some rest. See y'all tomorrow.

Jenn
Old 04-01-2003, 10:32 PM   #68  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Linworthlady pictures...

Hopefully these are small enough to load..gonna add one here and one on the next post...

Love,
Crystle
Old 04-01-2003, 10:34 PM   #69  

Height: 5' 7"

Default picture number 2 *smile*

Here we go...this one is a tad bigger..hopefully I took it down enough.

Love,
Crystle
Old 04-01-2003, 10:54 PM   #70  

good evening!!! Tonite is my 1 week anniv. on SB!! Feeling really good about the program it really helps "lurking" on this site! Hope to chat to some of you when I need to
Old 04-02-2003, 06:04 AM   #71  

WIW Report---

Good morning everyone! I stayed the same today which I thought I would. I'm just thankful that the scale didn't go up. My total remains -12.5.

My stomach is still churning this morning, so I think I'm going to pass on the TM. I think it may having something to do with spring and allergies. I've noticed quite a bit of sinus drainage. Yucky.

Have a great day!
Kim
Old 04-02-2003, 08:07 AM   #72  

WIW

Last week, I was up seven. This week, I am down two of those seven. I am not going to get too depressed about the five, since this is the PMS phase of the MC.

I slept great again last night. I even had vivid dreams! I feel much clearer minded too! I actually remembered to fix dinner last night! (good thing too, since we had company! )

QUILTER: Sorry you are having tummy troubles. Maybe you should try an allergy medicine to see if it helps?! You can get Claritin D over the counter now...but it is expensive. My doctor gave me a handful of samples of Clarinex, and Allegra. I took a Clarinex yesterday, and it felt good not to be so congested! You are doing so well! 12.5 pounds is awesome! I am so proud of you!

CHACHA: Congrats on your one week anniversary! This is the best program! I am a turtle loser, but I love how healthy I feel eating this way! Jump on in here, and let us get to know you! This board is about more than just having your questions answered!

MELF: Hey! It is so good to see you! Sorry things have not been easy for you. I hope it is all resolved. I hate when the computer acts up and I can't do what I want on it! I missed chat, due to company! I need to remember not to invite people over on Tuesdays! They never leave in time!

LIN: The picture looks great! What a nice smile you have! So friendly and open! I hope I can meet you in person sometime...afterall, Charleston is not that far from Hotlanta! You could come visit Spa Monet when I get Quilter and Fillise here! Wouldn't that be a hoot?!

JECRITES: Hope you are feeling better today!

TRANQUIL: Welcome back woman! I always get happy when I spot your cute avatar! It reminds me of Rub A Dub Doggie. One of my kids had him and he was just so darn cute!

I have someone coming for lunch today. Unfortunately, the crew last night was young folks...who I did not need to clean a lot for. Today's company is someone I need to pick up a lot for...so I better get cracking here! Have a good day! I hope the metal monster is good to everyone!
Old 04-02-2003, 08:19 AM   #73  

well good morning all!! I'm still trying to get the hang of the SB program, but feel very good so far! I started on the TM last week- 2 miles a day 5x's a week! I'm really modivated right now- hope it stays with me! I haven't been on the scale since I dropped W.W. 4 weeks ago, so maybe next week I'll get on to see if there 's any progress.
Well- gotta get the kids to the bus-have a great day!
Old 04-02-2003, 08:58 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Happy WIW.

The scale wasn't too kind to me. Up 2 pounds today. Oh well no excuses. Just have to work harder.

Enjoyed chat last night. It was a fun group. Deb was going wild with her discovery of noises.

Trish, glad you are back on track. One more day and you should be home free.

Melf as I said at chat last night, we have missed you. Glad you have worked out your problems and are back on here. We are here for you. Sorry we lost you last night. Dern computers.

Tranquil, sorry you missed chat. It was fun. Nice evening to get a walk in. How nice your parents finally go tto visit you.

Deb, No poem yet. Think we are going to can that idea and just put some sort of note on them. A day at the spa would be nice. I have a gift certificate for a facial and massage. Think I will use them after the wedding. Getting a pedicure with a parafin dip the day before though. Love those.

Kim, yes all athat skin has to go somewhere and you know gravity. I need a face lift that starts at the ankles. That's why it's important to get rid of that weight before age 50 and you still have elasticity in you skin. Hope your tummy is feeling better today. Good idea to pass on the TM until it settles down. Congrats on staying the same. Much better than I.

Jcrites, Hope you are feeling much better today.

chacha5, Happy 1 wk anniversary. Glad you are doing so well. You are doing great with your exercise.

Monet, Congrats on getting rid of 2 of those pounds. I bet the rest fall right off with your new meds. You are always cooking for someone. I sure hope they appreciate you.

Need to get busy. Have a great day.

Jackie
257/159/145
10-10-01
Old 04-02-2003, 09:00 AM   #75  

Default Good morning everyone.

Well, let's get WIW out of the way. I'm down 2.5, which is still 6.5 above my lowest, but at least we're going in the right direction. I feel so much more in control of my eating when I post here, it's almost like going to an AA meeting, I guess. Eating yesterday was good, didn't eat enough veggies (only had 3) but everything was legal. Also, steered clear of the starchy carbs for the most part as well.

For this week's challenge, I made BOB's squash recipe. Let me preface this by saying, that I am not a good little recipe follower. I had intended to follow this one very closely just to stay within the framework of the challenge, but so much for my good intentions. It called for celery soup, which I didn't have, so I used mushroom soup. It also called for an onion, which I didn't have, so I used a little Pace picante sauce. It still turned out very good. I think the picante sauce added a little too much liquid, as it was a little watery. Overall, though I thought it was really good and I will probably make it again. Joe really liked it, too.

For any women's basketball fans out there, the Longhorn women are in the Final 4 also. Texas is only the 4th team in history to have the men and women in the Final 4 in the same year. Go Horns!!!!!

Got to talk with Lyn yesterday. We're making plans to meet up in a couple of weeks. Melf, were your ears burning?? She mentioned that she had talked to you and I told her that you had been sorely missed. Glad to see you back on the boards.

Chacha - Welcome. As you can see, this is a great bunch. Very supportive and lots of fun. Glad to have you hear.

Better run now and get some work done. See you guys later.
Closed Thread