Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: HOW MUCH WATER DO YOU USUALLY DRINK IN A TYPICAL DAY?
I'm like a camel, I hardly ever drink water! 1 2.86%
16 ounces or less (2 glasses) 4 11.43%
16-32 ounces (2-4 glasses) 5 14.29%
32-48 ounces (4-6 glasses) 7 20.00%
48-64ounces (6-8 glasses) 9 25.71%
64-80 ounces (8-10 glasses) 2 5.71%
80-96 ounces (10-12 glasses) 1 2.86%
96 ounces or MORE! I'm a walking water tank!!!! 4 11.43%
I haven't a clue! 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 05:51 PM   #91  

Thanks for all of your feedback. And Ill still be here. I honestly dont know if I will eat as high of carbs as what she suggested, I think its still "lower" in carbs compared to regular american style eating or dieting.

Ill write more later
Old 02-27-2003, 06:34 PM   #92  

Got out there & walked my 2 miles as soon as I got home from work this afternoon. Must have walked that much at work today too, but I know those don't count cause it's stop & go walking. LOL Anyway, even though it was 48 degrees, at least it was dry, so I hit the road...not allowing myself to do anything else that might distract my goal. I did it in 29 minutes for me! Even that north wind didn't slow me down that mile back Will try hard to do the same tomorrow. If not, then I'll just HAVE to do the walking dvd tomorrow night or the week end.

Debbie, I know what you mean about singing those blues. And whose's to blame??? ME!! No one has forced me to over-eat or eat the wrong thing. I just need to refocus & set some priorities. I did not even get on the scale this morning cause I was afraid that it would have been higher than yesterday. That 141 is 6 lbs above my goal weight & I had vowed not to let myself get above 140 at all. Well I'm kicking myself for it, but I'm also buckling down & getting serious about correcting this problem.

Music Teach, Glad to see you back. Sorry to hear that it's under these conditions, but jump right in here girl. We're here for ya!

Quivondra I know what you mean about it getting harder to get to goal & maintaining. I got to goal last year & did maintain for a long tiome, but have been allowing myself to slip up tooo much lately. Read my post to Debbie above!

Well, that's about it for me. Got to go get supper ready. DH will be home soon. Going to put some seasoned chicken patties on the foreman grill & have stir-fried veggies & baked sweet potatoes for supper. Quick & easy, but filling. Bye
Old 02-27-2003, 06:36 PM   #93  
resident lactivist

Quote:
I saw a REEBOK pilates contraption at Target - have you ever seen it? Do you have one at home or do you go to the gym. What do you think about it. I don't know much about pilates at all.
I will have to check out Target for that. I just do matwork at home, from a book. It's actually a pretty good workout. I didn't think it would be at first, but it is.

Letty, that stuff about less weight more reps is just BS. Oft-repeated BS, though. Doing a lot of reps with small weights might help you maintain a certain level once you have reached it. But it's just a waste of time, IMO. True, you might be a genetic abnormality & bulk up if you use heavy weights, but probably not. Continuing to use heavier weights as you get accustomed to the smaller ones won't do anything more than make sure your workout still works.

Generally speaking, ladies, is Ceasar salad legal? I picked out the croutons...
Old 02-27-2003, 06:44 PM   #94  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERY BUDDY!!!

HOT...MUGGY....FOGGY....I'm wishing for SNOW!!!!!!

Are the days getting longer???? My work days are dragging!!!

I've discontinued myself from the WELBUTRIN...didn't do what I thought it was going to do...
My HORMONES haven't kicked in yet, and my head is sopping wet!
Anyone know how long it takes?????

LIN....Kate is 79yrs old...was always active, and when she retired, she came home dug into the recliner and stayed there...
She's always had back trouble, and has been through two laminectomys, 3 laser eye surgerys and an ORIF of the hip in two short years! She knows that she should have stayed more active, and now she is paying for it dearly...I'm just hoping that
these water exercises limber her up enough to get her started at the YMCA in the SENIOR program...

JACKIE....we didn't get the game...don't even know if they won or not....what was the results?
Don't be shy about telling us not to pull for your team....I'm used to it SUSAN does it all the time!!!!!

HELLO to everyone....I'm tuckered and have some more duties to do....

Later

BOB
Old 02-27-2003, 07:20 PM   #95  

Day is done...gone the sun....

I stapled 300 booklets, and folded 200 of them. They were hoping for about six volunteers, but it was yours truly, all alone. My shoulders hurt from the repeated movement of straightening, stapling, then folding.

I just polished off a good size bowl of vegetables and ranch dressing for dip. So tasty! I need to remember to dip into the raw veggies more often!

Seems everyone around here has some kind of flu or virus. I feel rather tired, and will probably go to bed early.

DEB: What kind of pot pie is this you keep talking about? I would love to find something like that ... details please!

JACK: When we were doing invitations, we had a devil of a time getting the list from the groom's family. His parents are divorced, and I got two lists from them. His mom had a long list, and his dad had like three addresses on his. The wedding was in a quaint little chapel, with the emphasis on little. Most of our guests at the wedding were family, and very close friends. The rest were invited to the reception. Everyone his mom invited had to be invited to the wedding, whether they were family, friends or whatever. Some were coworkers who had never even met the groom! Oh well. They all crammed into the chapel, and it did not effect me...I had the whole front pew with my MIL and hubby! Thanks for the compliment on the cooking! I do enjoy getting in the kitchen and playing...

LETTY: I am not an expert on weights, and all, but I do know that repetitive movements burn more fat. I strongly recommend Joyce Vedral's book, The Fat Burning Workout. It is written for women. She is over 50, and looks fabulous... I did her workout, and while it helped condition my muscles, it did not help me lose weight. To be honest, I had a lot of other metabolic stuff going on. Since I am insulin resistant, the best exercise for me is repetitive, for a long time. I find walking at a moderate pace on the treadmill gives me better results than anything else I have tried. Of course, it could also be the result of a higher dose of thyroid meds... Doesn't matter to me, as long as I keep getting the results!

MUSIC: Good to see you back! Don't go away again! We miss you when you are not here! You will get it all off again! Jump on the wagon and lets go!

MONSTERMOMMA: I love your name! I think Caesar salad is ok. The dressing has anchovies in it, and probably very little sugar! It has parmesan in it, and romaine and all those things are ok.

MEESH: What does the dietician consider a serving of grain? Like a piece of bread? If so, that seems like a lot... I wonder how her list of calories burned compares with the one on my diet power....

Ok...I am outta here! I am thinking of running over to the health food store a few miles away that I have never been to. I am curious as to what they carry...
Old 02-27-2003, 08:19 PM   #96  
Mel

Default Bulking up

Oh boy! my favorite subject! Here goes...

Letty- What GBMM and Jackie said is absolutely true. I am a bodybuilder, and just finishing up my personal trainier certification, also. Lifting low weights for lots of repetitions will do very little for you. In fact, it is counterproductive in that your body just gets used to it, and joint problems are far more likely to occur. I tore my rotator cuff 6 years ago doing endless reps with light weights. As GBMM said, you just don't have the hormones to "bulk up". You need to lift heavy to build muscle. Muscle is smaller than fat, although it weighs more. It is more metabolically active, which means that the more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns just sitting there. I reached what I thought was my goal weight on SB a year and a half ago. I had been doing light weight training and a lot of cardio all my life. When I starting a completely different lifting program where I lifted enough weight that I failed at the last set of each exercise, my body composition started to change. In that year and a half, my scale weight has stayed pretty stable (+- 5 pounds) but my body fat % has dropped from 28% to 19%(measured by 7 point caliper test, not those useless and inaccurate tanita scales). I no longer think of a goal weight (though I ***** and moan on WIW) but think in terms of a goal body- that really has very little to do with the scale. Although my weight has remained the same, my jeans size dropped from 8's to 4's. So much for bulking up. Cardio in short (20-30 minute) intense sessions burns fat, but over 30 minutes puts your body into a catabolic state, which means you are burning your own muscle as fuel, not fat. If you're trying to lose "weight" that's fine, but if you are trying to lose fat, not so good. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism will be.

There is a fantastic web-site all about women and weight lifting called the "Krista Smash" site: http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
It's full of good information, links, articles, and inormation on proper form for different exercises. If you have time, it's well worth cruising through it.

OK- now that I've bored you all to tears, go read Krista Smash and dispel some of those myths!

ps- Don't let trainers or others intimidate you. Many spout the light weights for women dogma because they know 3/4 of their clients will run away if they think they are going to have to work hard and sweat. Also, don't think this is only for 28 year old babes in spandex- I'm 48 years old, and my 68 year old mother also trains the same way

mel

Last edited by meliris; 02-27-2003 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:02 PM   #97  

Here is something for Friday Funnies, a bit early!

An older couple is lying in bed one morning, having just awakened from a
good night's sleep. He takes her hand and she responds, "Don't touch me."

"Why not?" he asks.

She answers back, "Because I'm dead."

The husband says, "What are you talking about? We're both lying here in bed
together and talking to one another."

She says, "No, I'm definitely dead."

He insists, "You're not dead. What in the world makes you think you're
dead?"

"Because I woke up this morning and nothing hurts."
Old 02-27-2003, 09:10 PM   #98  

Another...

This blonde decides one day that she is sick and tired of all these
blond jokes and how all blondes are perceived as stupid, so she
decides to show her husband that blondes really are smart.

While her husband is off at work, she decides that she is going to
paint a couple of rooms in the house. The next day, right after her
husband leaves for work, she gets down to the task at hand.

Her husband arrives home at 5:30 and smells the distinctive smell
of paint.

He walks into the living room and finds his wife lying on the
floor in a pool of sweat. He notices that she is wearing a ski jacket and
a fur coat at the same time. He goes over and asks her if she is OK.

She replies yes.

He asks what she is doing. She replies that she wanted to prove to
him that not all blonde women are dumb and she wanted to do it by painting
the house.

He then asks her why she has a ski jacket over her fur coat. She
replies that she was reading the directions on the paint can and
they said....

FOR BEST RESULTS, PUT ON TWO COATS.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:16 PM   #99  

And another....

In Japan, they have replaced the impersonal and unhelpful Microsoft error
messages with Haiku poetry messages. Haiku poetry has strict construction
rules - each poem has only 17 syllables; 5 syllables in the first line, 7 in
the second, 5 in the third. They are used to communicate a timeless message,
often achieving a wistful, yearning and powerful insight through extreme brevity.

Here are some actual error messages from Japan. Aren't these better than
"your computer has performed an illegal operation?"

-------------------------------------------
The Web site you seek
Cannot be located, but
Countless more exist.
--------------------------------------------
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.
Windows NT crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death.
No one hears your screams.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it is not working.
Windows is like that.
Your file was so big.
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
----------------------------------
A crash reduces
Your expensive computer
To a simple stone.
Three things are certain
Death, taxes and lost data.
Guess which has occurred.
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.
Out of memory.
We wish to hold the whole sky,
But we never will.
Having been erased,
The document you're seeking
Must now be retyped.
Aborted effort.
Close all that you have worked on.
You ask far too much.
I ate your Data file.
Forgive me; it was tasty
And tart on my tongue.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:34 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

I'm in a real funk- Hubby is being a major you know what- if I could get away with it, I'd knock the t-total crap out of him, that's how frustrated I am. He took it upon hisself(more than once) to go to the gameroom down the street and shoot pool while I sit at home with the kids. I told him that it wasn't fair for him to do as he pleases and to not have to worry about it- did it matter to him- NOPE- he went anyway. I never get to do crap because I can't ever find a babysitter- my own Mom won't keep them except one day a week and only 1 kid at a time,ugh! I'm just really mad at him for being so inconsiderate of my feelings and being so selfish. He's always doing crap like this- and another reason I'm upset is because I just found out that Ty passed away yesterday- it's so unfair that he passed away after fighting so long and so hard. the hospital was all he ever knew. His parents deserved to take him home happy and alive- not in a casket. Everybody, just overlook me- I'm having a bad week.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:55 PM   #101  

HEART: Oh, I am so sorry about Ty. No, we won't over look you. That is what this forum is all about, supporting one another. You come vent here whenever you need it. With what you are dealing with, you certainly have every right to do just that! Men can be so obstinate..and unthinking. Your hubby probably just can't deal with things...so it is easier to escape. Wait until a calm time, and talk calmly about it with him. I hope and pray he will understand, and give you the support you need.

DEB: I looked on ebay at the Rainbows. I found this one, and laughted. It is the D series...as in R2D2...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20615
Old 02-27-2003, 11:17 PM   #102  

Default Thank you

Thank you very much Jack, GBMM, Monet, Deb & Mel for your responses. Especially to you Mel for all that wonderful information & the website which I have bookmarked. I knew something was off when I was talking to her but as soon as she said "personal trainer", it made me doubt everything I already knew. I should know better just by the changes in my body but that dang scale still has alot of influence on me.

Heartmom - I'm new here so I don't know who Ty is but I'm sorry for your loss. As for your hubby, I am ashamed to admit mine acts the same way on many occasion so I know how you are feeling. I'm sending a sympathetic hug your way.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:38 PM   #103  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Evening All

UGH! My back is KILLING me. I think all the lifting of boxes I did and taking them up the stairs at the ministry is catching up with me. Hoping it won't be bothering me in the morning as I do plan on getting in a walk

I have to stay up late tonight. MICHAEL went to volunteer at the Miami Film Festival tonight and I have to pick him up at his friends house around midnight and then drive home. Wish it was closer, but with no traffic at that time I'm hoping to make it up and back in about 30-40 minutes. Hoping I'll be able to get right to sleep when we get home. Don't like staying up this late, hungry and went to eat something-would be asleep and not noticing otherwise.

JACKK, when we use to do jewelry making at my store we used E6000. Though, it's a big tube to buy for just one thing. Can't you use some Super Glue? Okay, you made me go back and read my last post and I didn't typo there, so I can only think it was my 2nd to last post (okay, I'm too lazy to go to the page before), but gosh no, could you imagine, ELI going to NY to NYU - he'd be like that new movie OLD SCHOOL. Don't know if you have CENTRUST BANKS there, but we keep seeing this stupid commercial with this guy who looks like Benjamin Franklin and dances around and sings-well, if you have, then you can just imagine it's ELI, he goes through the house mimicking that guy every time the commercial comes on - it's pathetic!! Def. typo!!!! Pot pies are single serve - I'm hooked, I'm eating one every day. Only 18 carbs in there, 3 grams of fiber, so 15 carbs really. They have 230 calories and 10 grams of fat (butter in crust probably). I like the chiken more than the turkey. Hope you find them! Heck with the knees, it's the back that hurts!!!!

RENEE, that's NOT a lot of carbs! She said 6, right? Are you talking about 6 servings of starchy carbs? If so, then yes, that would be too much, but if you are talking about total carbs, it's only 90 grams of carbs and with taking in 1700 calories that's only 20% which isn't a lot at all!!!! Can you clarify?

MELF, have you ever thought about buying a pedometer that measures steps? They say to try and get in 10,000 a day and I bet you must. Good going on getting out there and doing 2 miles today Heck, I vowed I'd never see 130 or above again, but it happened, what can we do, as you said re-focus. If we commit we'll get back to where we were, the trouble is, it's going to take some time and we have to be patient.

MOMMA, Caesar can be legal, just depends what's in it-do you have a label with nutritional info we can pick apart??? Here's a link to the pilates that Target has: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B00006JJ78 What do you think about it?

BOB, can't tell you my experience about the hormones YET, I'm a bit behind you there girlfriend It sure is hot already here as well, highs next 10 days all in the 80's - this sucks!

MONET, your shoulders, my back - what's with these churches working us volunteers so hard The pot pie is from SHELTONS, the chicken is the best, it's made with a WW crust and is delicious. I get it at WHOLE FOODS. It's not in the regular freezer section but near where the frozen meats are. Did you go to that other HFS? Find anything of interest? Thanks for the early FF's! Whoa, that is an old Rainbow!!!!! LOL!!!

MEL, I knew you could shed light on that subject

HEART, I'm so sorry to hear about TY passing away. I'm sorry you're in such a funk, but I think with what's transpired you have a right to be. It's hard to see any child pass away but harder when it's one you know and even harder when he has problems as your own child does. Then of course, DH-well, not going to say much on that issue BUT, did he hear about TY before he went to shoot pool? Just thought, if he did, maybe this was a way he dealt with the issue? Men, you can never really figure their species out!!! Tomorrow will be better

Well, now I just sit here, waiting for the phone to ring and hoping it doesn't wake ELI or LAUREN up, esp. ELI. He opened today, didn't get home til 7:30pm and has to open tomorrow, so up at about 2:30-3am for him.

Will check in with you all tomorrow morning at some point!

NITE!

Debbie
Old 02-28-2003, 08:35 AM   #104  

Happy Friday morning. I am posting some recipes right after I type this post. Has anyone sen The Good Carb Cookbook by Sandra Woodruff? It has good recipes. I don't know if all she says is strictly Sugarbusters. She uses the glycemic index to plan her meals. One point she makes is it is OK to eat something a little higher on the GI index if you are eating other things that are low on the index at the same meal. Do you all think about this when planning your meals? I made the chicken chili last night--I know it is an old recipe, but I'll post it just in case you all don't have it. I'm also posting 2 cauliflower recipes that are a little different

Monet-Your steamed dumplings look good but they seem like a lot of trouble to make. Did the WW flour do OK? Your friends are very lucky to have you to cook for them.

Meesh-I think the dietician sounds like a good one for you. She seemed to listen to you and how you like to eat. Welcome to our board. As the late, great Mr. Rogers would say "We like you just the way you are."

Music-HELLO! Jump back on the wagon with us. How did your day finish out yesterday (Thursday)?

Quiv-I love NYC. That's nice to hear you say how safe it is. You are so lucky to live there while you are young, I think.

Deb-Steven is about 6 feet and 200 pounds. He is built like a brick wall. It's funny because my middle son is so thin he looks like he might blow away in a strong wind. Steven has been loving the WW Pita pizzas. And of course wings. Just a couple of months ago he would come home from school and eat a big bag of chips and a couple of cokes, so he is eating better. I guess it is more work for me though--keeping groceries in the house and cooking, etc. I know what you mean-I really miss the double coupons. Michael has an interesting major planned-he got a 4 year scholarship?! How did I miss this-that is great. I bet you are tired today.

Jackie-WTG on getting the invites printed. Where did you get your pattern for the wine charms? Have you bought your dress yet?

Mary-2 miles in under 30 minutes is great!!!

Mel-Thanks for the site. I have already studied it. I'll be trying some deadlifts today. I need to get back into my lifting--thanks for the motivational info.

Laurie-Men are so thick headed. I hope things are better today. How was Boogie's appt?
Old 02-28-2003, 09:31 AM   #105  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good Friday Morning,

I feel like I accomplished some things last nite. Got My work out in, my upstairs cleaned (what pigs my kids are) and got all my invitations stuffed ready for the mailbox. It helped that DD took me out to eat.

I was in a good mood today, until I got to work. One of our project managers that I work with informed us he was leaving. He is a kid (28) and just a ball of fun. He keeps us in stitches around here. He tells me everyday how hot I am. I know he is full of bull, but hey it's nice to hear anyway. Each week he asks how I did on WIW. Just an all around nice kid. We girls here are really going to miss him. Everyone else around here are stick in the muds.

Melf, good for you getting out there and walking. 2 miles in 29 minutes is great.

Bob, UK won by 8, but it was scarry at times. I hope these water exercises help Kate. The secret to keeping young is to keep moving.

Monet, sounds like you did the work of 3 people today. I hate that no one showed up to help you. GOod thing they have you. Loved the dead joke. Some days I want to be dead.

Mel, you didn't bore me. I am so interested in wt training. I love it. I didn't know you had your certification. How cool. I totally agree with what wt training does for your body. I am 161 pounds and wearing a size 8 pants. There's no way that should be. It's all due to the wt training and walking.

Heartmom, I'm so sorry about Ty. Prayers for his family and friends. Monet is right, men can't handle things and tend to run away from them. Make plans for you one night and let him know ahead of time that he will be watching the kids. Have you ever noticed when men keep the kids they say they are babysitting. When we watch them, it's our job. Something not right there. Hope you all can work this out. Come here and vent all you want. That's why we are here.

Deb, hope your back is better today and were able to get that walk in. You try to do too much. I sure hope your kids appreciate you. If their like mine, they would never show it and just expect it.

Linworth, I'll have to check out that cookbook. It end to cook the same old things. I don't think about anything when I plan my meals. Only my 2 starchy carbs. Yes I have a daress, it's navy. I just ordered the same one in periwinkle. I will see which looks best. My DD's friend gave her the idea for the wine charms. Just stick a long bead and six others of matching colors. She likes different things. Nothing common. That's why we call her the princess.

Need to get busy here. Have a great day.

Jackie
257/161/145
10-10-01
Closed Thread