Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: When purchasing items, which do you tend to pay with most often?
CASH 7 21.21%
CHECK 8 24.24%
CREDIT CARD 5 15.15%
DEBIT CARD 13 39.39%
OTHER 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 12:47 PM   #16  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Quickie post! I don't want y'all to forget who I am as I'll be in bed tied to a computer all week next week.

I won't get to everyone but KATBIRD, everyone has said what I would have said about PCOS and SB. My hubby is thin and he eats on plan with me, just more than I do. (Now, he's a lot more active than I am also)

I go tomorrow for my pre-op stuff and Thursday morning is my surgery. I'll be off my feet for a week and we are taking everything that isn't legal out of the house. I'll be truly detoxed and on a schedule by the time I come back to work.

I'm going to be more diligent about going to the gym and getting that weight training in.

I have an awesome recipe for Pico de Gallo that a Cuban friend of mine gave me yesterday. We made some and had it with Triscuits and on refried beans last night. I'll post it here and copy it to the recipe board too. (I know it isn't Thursday, but if I wait till then y'all will never get to see it )

everything is to taste

Fresh Cilantro
Tomatoes
Green Bell Pepper
Red Bell Pepper
Jalapeno Pepper
Onion
Salt and Pepper

Olive Oil - just to moisten
Lime - 1/2 of juice squeezed onto it

Let set for 15 minutes

She says to serve it on anything you like. (I ate it out of the bowl last night)
Old 02-10-2003, 01:04 PM   #17  
"I'm working on it!"

Default Solshine

Ha ha! I'm sitting reading the posts and stuffing my face with the exact same thing you just posted the recipe for!!!! I had just finished making a batch before sitting down to read the board! Quite the coincidence--I had a good chuckle to myself.

It is really good with triscuits, but I have eaten it straight from the bowl too!
Old 02-10-2003, 01:37 PM   #18  

Hi Everyone..Just wanted to start posting again and thought since it is the start of a new week it would be good to start again. Sounds like everyone is doing really good. I had a semi good weekend..I did eat off program a few times, but jumped right back on..Had my kids (dd and sil) take home anything extra we bought plus can goods (sil about to quilt job and go to police academy so they will need help) ..I am glad we can help.

Tomorrow is WI for me and I hope it is down. Going to curves right after I finish this, then I will go to Kmart and try to get some good deals..So far everything in our Kmart store is only 10% off but for the things I need 10% will be ok.

Well got to go and I will post tomorrow. Everyone have a wonderful monday!!!

Kathy/Miata
Old 02-10-2003, 02:05 PM   #19  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Hey All

Took my very first yoga class! There were more people there than I thought there would be, but there was room for all. It's HATHA YOGA which honestly, I don't all it's about, at least not yet. The instructor is certified and has been doing yoga since she was 19yrs old (she's somewhere in her early 50's I'd say). I enjoyed it very much and best of all, IT'S FREE!!!!!! Can you believe it! Every class is free and it's an ongoing class. It's on Mondays (though this next Monday there isn't one due to holiday) from 11am-12:30pm. Now, I have to go find a sticky mat and a yoga belt. Well, at least I don't have to pay for the classes!!!!

Got home to find 3 books that I ordered in the mail Can't wait to see what's in them!!!!

Just ate lunch, was starving! By the time I got home from exercising, got my post on the board, ran around the house looking for the mat I just KNEW I had, I only had time to cut a piece of Asian pear and run to the class. Had a chicken and cheese pizza (ww tortilla) and some jello. Now, I'm sporting a headache-probably a TOM headache. Anyhow, just wanted to get in a few replies before I have to head out to the mechanic and then to pick up the kids at school.

KAT,
I would tell you just to make sure you are eating enough to maintain your current weight, that's probably the most important thing. Eating low glycemic foods is healthy no matter what your weight or weight loss status may be. Cutting out all the refined crap is good for everyone. Just focus on making sure you eat enough, exercise and watch your foods for low/moderate GI levels. Ask any and all questions you may have, we're all more than happy to help answer them!!!

COUNTRY, HB to DS! Oh boy, can I relate to the kids and hogging the computer - I can sympathize with you all the way!!!!!

MONET, I will definitely check out the recipe, any way I can get fiber AND have it taste good, I'm all for it. WOW, 24 muffins, that's a lot. Do you think the recipe can be halved?

FILLISE, glad to see you back, safe and sound. Good that you are taking this time to rest up since you are not technically suppose to be back. You did great staying OP during that trip, that's awesome. Okay, so a little indulgence, that won't hurt you at all, you got right back on track and that really does make a difference. The Zapper, we bought one for Eli's daughter for Xmas and paid $29.99 at Big Lots so last night I just asked her for her instruction booklet and plugged it in to an outlet that we don't have a phone hooked up in. I think it worked this morning, picked up the phone and no one was there and I heard a beep. For a buck, I was taking the chance it would work, and it seems to be working!!!!

GRACIOUS, greetings to you as well. I too was MIA this weekend, heck, more like the past week. Good going on the WATP tapes. What's the weather like up there? I'm trying to talk ELI in to a trip to Canada after the kids get out of school while we take Michael to look at colleges. He wants to go look up in Mass., any idea how far away Montreal or Toronto is from there?

SOL, forget you? NEVER!!! Good luck with the pre-op AND the surgery. I'm sure you'll do great. We're leaving Vince to cleaning out the cupboards and counting on seeing more of you once the pain and drugs wear off. Really, I wish you all the best and hope that all goes as planned and it frees you from the pain so you can get back to feeling good again!!! {{{HUGS}}}

MIATA, good luck with your weigh in tomorrow. Hope you have a nice workout at Curves. Wish they'd build one my way. I too have to go to Kmart, they have hair spray on sale that I need to get.

Got the following via e-mail today and thought I'd add it in to MM:

Do you have faith in your ability to make your dreams a reality? This is a common first hurdle: not believing in yourself enough to take that first step towards your goal. But sadly, a crisis of self-doubt can leave you on the sidelines of life wondering what would have been if only you could have mustered up the courage. Give yourself permission to believe that you are capable of a great deal more than you allow yourself to believe._ Be willing to stretch yourself and your limits._ Be willing to overcome your insecurities and believe that you have what it takes to do what you wish to do with your life and your talents.

A by Edel Jarboe

I gotta run, time to skiddadle.

Toodles!

Deb
Old 02-10-2003, 02:40 PM   #20  

Default Happy Monday

Just a quickie to say I am 100% OP and enjoying it along with food grosses me out without any sense of smell and taste – so food consists of brothy soup, a few triscuits eaten as a snack with homemade salsa a friend’s mom gave me to open up those sinuses (nice and hot!), and frozen sf ice pops …. Tried eating a salad and all I can say is gross when all you experience is texture… I am getting better though – sinuses seem to be relieving….I hope that I have dropped some more weight from all of this, though not a great way to lose….Work is busy, having been out a day can cause quite a pile up….so very busy…and tonight DS has to go to guitar lessons and then he and I have to work on homework for the week he has been home sick….so unable to get on computer ….will miss you until tomorrow – so just wanted to say Happy Motivational Monday, keep up the good work everyone, and see ya tomorrow!!!!

Sabrina
272/261 (so sad to have gained so much back this winter!)/157
SD: April 1, 2002
Old 02-10-2003, 03:09 PM   #21  
Maemae77536

Good afternoon to all......Sorry I haven't been around in awhile but I have been sooooooooo busy....My divorce was final on Friday, started my new job today (liking it so far) hope to hear if the babies and i will get to move to a new apartment (ex has ruined the credit so i have to get a co-signer) So I haven't really had time to breath. Just letting you all know that I am still around and trying to stay OP.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:47 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good afternoon ladies.

I'm sure glad this day is over. I'm bushed. I just know DH is going to want to walk tonight. It sure is grey looking out there and cold.

Trish, Boy your dinner sounded yummy. Good for you keeping it all legal too.

Deb, You were one determined puppy this morning. Good for you getting out there even with all those obstacles. Let me know how you like the class. My trainer gave me a yoga tape for my bday and I haven't tried it yet. Man you did get some bargains. What a deal on those clothes. Probably no plans for the birthday. We have a wedding to go to Friday nite ad since we already had a big party weekend before last. We will just go out to dinner with the kids probably. No biggie. The wedding is May 9th. I bet you could find a mat and belt at a yard sale knowing you.

Country, seems like everyone is giving up computer time to the kids. Gotta do what helps them. Glkad you had a great weekend. Keep drinking that water.

Fillise, glad you are home safe and had a good time. WTG on your eating. You did great.

Gracious, good attitude on your exercising. Once you get in a daily routine, you really miss it if you have to miss.

Solshine, Hope your surgery goes well,you should have tons of time to spend with us.

Miata, Have fun at curves. THat was sweet to give your SIL all your food. Hope you get some good buys at KMart.

Tranquil, Glad you are getting some better. Great job on your eating even though you feel bad. Feel better.

Maemae, Glad you like your new job. Sorry about the divorce (I guess). Good job staying OP,
Old 02-10-2003, 06:19 PM   #23  
Mel

Default So far so good...

Stayed OP so far all day including baking a batch of oatmeal choc-chip cookies for ds to take to Boy Scouts. Since this is a "parents present" meeting and dh has strep throat, I guess I get to go and look at all the goodies. I will take my waterbottle and clutch it like a talisman.

Sol- I know your foot's been a problem, but what are you having done? Sure hope all goes well, you will be in my thoughts.

Deb- The yoga sounds fun. I'd love to do the power yoga classes at my gym, but just can't fit that in too. The last time I took a yoga class was in about 1980 and at the end of each session we were supposed to meditate and look at each other's auras. There was a lot of blather about "oooh blues, greens, pinks..." I think I need a more physical and less spiritual form.

maemae- Glad you like your new job. Hope all goes well with finding and apartment.

Susan- Good going on staying OP on the road. I find that tough!

Zanne- Are you under ice too? I have a friend outside Ottawa who called (once her phone was back on) and said she had about a 3" coating on her car.

OK- gotta go to Boy Scouts,
mel
Old 02-10-2003, 08:16 PM   #24  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERY BUDDY!!!

Thought I would check in...kinda chilly over here...can't understand why Deb has all the heat????

JACKIE...the KALE cooks down to about
2-3 quarts...it takes two pressure cookers to cook it and one bowl to store it in!

I grilled up a bunch of chicken breasts yesterday, cooked 4lbs of green beans and put the kale with it...yum....tonight I cooked a WHITE SWEET POTATO to have with it...YUM!!!!
Bought some beef liver to fix this week...like to have it at least once a month!

Can't hang...gotta go...BOSTON PUBLIC is on, and then THE FINALE OF JOE MILLIONAIRE!!!!

Have a good evening...

BOB
Old 02-10-2003, 09:45 PM   #25  

Default Monday night

Hello everybody!

Not much excitement today. My boss made me laugh really, really hard today. That felt so great!!! I am thankful that I can laugh at my job. I feel blessed for that.

DEB---Thanks for the motivation. I really liked the one about delighting in the journey. That's how I'm trying to live. Glad to hear you liked your first yoga class. That's great that it's free. Cool for you.

ZANNE---Glad to hear that you are on track with your weekdays. That's half the battle. Now you just have to get those special occasions under control. HA! Girlfriend, I've been there, done that. So I know how hard it is once you get into that rhythm. But you'll get back on track. You did SOOO well last week. I know you can do it!

MONET---I love your idea of using ww filo instead of puff pastry. Lady, you are quite the cook. Sounds yummy.

JACKK---So glad to hear that your moving went well. What a long day. You were missed around the board this weekend. But you sure did get a lot of work done. That's great! You're right . . . I am sore. All that up and down on the ladders and then yesterday sitting in the car for 6 hours didn't help one bit. The walls are called Tuscan Clay (makes me feel like I'm in Italy!) and the ceiling is Peanut shell. The ceiling is a beige and the walls are like a terracotta, but not that orange. It's hard to describe. But it does look warm and yummy.

TRISH---When's your next big dinner? I'll be on my way soon. That supper Saturday sounded wonderful. You really did it up right! Congrats for standing up for your WOE and making it all legal for you.

FILLISE---I am so proud of you for eating well on your trip. You really used your head and planned for the best. I wouldn't worry about your slippage in NC. Who could possibly pass up NC barbecue? Not me, that's for sure. When we go to TN, I will eat Ridgewood Barbecue. I was envioius of your sleeping in this morning. Sounds wonderful!

GRACIOUS---I was glad to see your post. I was about ready to call out the troops in search of you.

SOL-BABY---Hey, my thoughts and prayers will be with you this week. Please try to check in and give us a report. If you're not up to it, have Vince check in in your stead. Good luck on the detox. Feed your pain with something legal. Just kidding, hope there won't be any pain. You've had enough of that already.

TRANQ---Well, it's so great that you are 100%, but not so great that food seems icky. That's not fun, but you may get a pay-off from it on Wednesday. Sounds like you are super busy. Please take care and don't get overtired.

MAEMAE---So good to hear from you. I'm hoping the new job is great for you. You know where you can find us. We totally understand busy schedules. Just don't forget us. We want to keep track of how you are doing. I hope the new apartment thing comes through for you.

BOB---I can't believe you're not watching the Westminster Kennel Club. All those beautiful puppies in one room. We have to cheer for the Skeeter dogs and the Maddie dogs.

Okay, gotta go! I'm winding down!
Kim
Old 02-10-2003, 10:15 PM   #26  
Little Engine That Could

Well, the big conference is over and it is SO GREAT to have all that pressure behind me. We still have a few follow-up details but the work is done, for the most part. I spent most of the afternoon just vegging, which I haven't done for a long time. I had a ton of clothes to fold, but didn't even do that. Tomorrow--back on track.

We are going up to Gainesville tomorrow afternoon and will be up there 2 days. My dh is interviewing some prospective new employees, and then we will see a basketball game one night and Riverdance another. I think we also are having dinner at the University president's home. Should be interesting. We will stay with a friend this time, instead of the hotel. It will be a good way to get some R & R.

Sol, hope your surgery goes well and that you are back on your feet soon.

Jack-K--I'll be thinking about you on the 16th. We are going to a play here on the 14th--"The Rock and the Rabbi" and then out to dinner on the 15th. I have been mediocre with SB this past week. The dinners each night for the conference were mostly SB non-legal and I ended up not really sticking to plan. Gotta get back on the wagon this week. Didn't even walk today. :-(

BOB--your veggies sound so good. I love the beans you fix and bet the greens were fabulous.

Have a great day tomorrow.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:04 PM   #27  

Angry Oh happy Monday!

First things first--BOB: I thought tonight was the Joe Millionaire finale too! Was it, or was it just a re-run of last week???!! I hope I didn't miss it

Yea! First whole day (in 2 weeks) of being 100% OP, no licking fingers, no stealing FF, and only 2 starchy carbs all day!!
And those were at breakfast!!! Whoooooohooooooo!

I made the ranch chicken recipe that had been posted--with the asparagus, and is was THE BEST I fixed some regular rice (not yet stocked w/the other) for the rest of the family, and I wasn't even tempted!! The chicken was so good, that I didn't find myself really wanting the rice.

Tomorrow's goal: More water, and some exercise.

Today's accomplishment is somewhat of a miracle, considering I "like" to use any excuse to just grab something to eat--like a Krispy Kreme--my oldest, in kindergarden, woke up a 5am with 104 temp so I was at home with him and my two girls, ages 3 and 2 --no one took a nap, and when I did get an appt with the dr., we had to wait 2 hours on the floor in the waiting room. The place was packed. If we weren't already sick, I'm sure we have picked up Lord knows what now. In our area, the flu is so bad, that some schools have either had to close for a couple of days, or are close to closing.

I had to miss my class today, which I hated, but I know my students were not so upset...oh well, I guess we will play catch-up as usual.

At the risk of sounding corny, I do want to say thank you all for your posts--they have helped so much. Although I don't get to post that often, I do get to read most of what is posted, and it is a tremendous help--especially in keeping the realization that this is a journey--not a race(this is actually my son's school's slogan, not my own )

I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe week!
rb
Old 02-10-2003, 11:28 PM   #28  

Default Thanks:

Hi Everybody,
I'm new to SB and I'm thrilled I found the right place. I've gotten help already. First Debbie came to my rescue and then I had the pleasure of meeting Monet. I look forward to getting to know all of you. Have heard great stories already of great success on SB. I was on Atkins before, I was doing ok with it, however, my meds were getting in the way, which slows weight lose. I have a question, we know our skin is an organ, so the question is: can using sugar (NOT IN MOUTH ) on the skin cause a problem on the SB WOE? Like getting into my system. It is used for microdermabrasion (hope I spelled that right). Well I have to got now. All of you have a blessed, wonderful and enriched week, full of victory!!!!

In Him we live and move and have our being....
LJunel (meaning, slim and healthy)
Old 02-11-2003, 12:30 AM   #29  
WW Moderator

Hello everybody, just checking in! I didn't mean to be away from the computer as long as I was. We had major computer problems and my time was limited to the 'have to's' and no time for the funs. Since I have been back online, I have spent most of my time catching up on things. I have lost 4.5 pounds. I lost 3 in Jan, and was a little frustrated with the loss, but mostly happy to have it happen at all. This month I lost 1.5 in the first week, so that was a good sign. If I can keep that up, I'll have doubled Jan's loss. I'll take anything as long as it is going in the right direction! Doing this veggie is taking some trial and error.

MaeMae, I hope the divorce is a postive move for you, and hope you have very few problems in the coming months. I spent most of my freshly divorced time in fear, and it shouldn't be that way!
Divorce is hard enough for any reason, and this should be a refreshing time for you to start you life with positive actions. Good luck! (ps, I love your name...when my son is acting silly, he calls me MaeMae instead of Mom)

Debbie, as usual you wear me out reading about your life! You're such an inspiration!

I'll try and write more tomorrow night. I've been up late decorating for Cody's birthday. He is 10 on Tuesday, and it breaks my heart. He's not my baby anymore, he is in the double digits! We've decorated with streamers, ribbons, bows, signs and balloons for about 2 hours. He'll be happy when he wakes up. I have to get up in 5 hours, so off I go.

Have a wonderful Tuesday!
Old 02-11-2003, 07:42 AM   #30  

Hello Everybody!

Here's a Tuesday morning quickie greeting. Just wanted to pop in and send greetings out there to all. I certainly hope that we all have really good days and that we all stay on program. As JACKK said last week, it really helps to stop and think about what you are eating. Let's all be mindful of those words today. No mindless eating for anyone today. Okay???

It's snowing again outside. Paul and I were having a pity party over the weather report this morning and then heard that some poor souls up north are having 20 below temps. Yikes! How are all our Canadian snow birds doing today? ZANNE, GRACIOUS . . . are you all frozen solid?

Gotta run. Paul and I are riding together today. I am too chicken to drive when the snow is falling. I'm so thankful to be able to ride downtown with him.

Catch you later.
Kim
Closed Thread