Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: What is your favorite color (or the hue closest to it)?
White 0 0%
Yellow 5 11.11%
Orange 1 2.22%
Red 4 8.89%
Pink 2 4.44%
Blue 10 22.22%
Purple 12 26.67%
Green 8 17.78%
Brown 0 0%
Tan 0 0%
Gray 0 0%
Black 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 04:38 AM   #106  

Default thanks

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone I talked to on here.

I can't really keep up with the weekly support board so I will just be browsing now and then.

Also, I am firing up a new board dedicated to Sugar Busters if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.sugarbustersforum.com
Old 01-24-2003, 07:33 AM   #107  

Default Friday!

It is finally Friday. I leave this afternoon for a Ladies Winter Retreat with a couple of girls from our church. It should really be a fun time but I know it is going to be food, food, food! They have awesome buffets at every meal but last year when I went the buffets were a wide variety of carbs and little else. I will cope and if I come back with a few pounds I know I can lose them...again. I will try not to though.

I am down all those water pounds again so that is good.

SEF- You are so right! We CANADIANS do know COLD !

JACK-K- Regarding those skin tight jeans again...as I recall, once we were out and about wearing them for awhile they did give a little which allowed us to pry them back on, zipper them up with lots of breath holding while still standing in the bathroom stall! That was one reason why we used to dry them til all shrunk nice and tight and put them on only the last minute before leaving the house-so they wouldn't stretch before everyone saw us! Pathetic!

BARBC- Welcome to the SB board! SB is a great way to eat to lose weight and to just eat healthy. I have done Atkins and lost weight on it but then turned to SB when I stalled for numerous months. I immediately lost 5 more lbs and have found that eating SB way is easier and healthier and just plain more normal! However, I am a bit of a drip and I still bounce back and forth between SB and Atkins kind of eating. I guess I do a combination of it now because I don't eat on plan perfectly like I used to. If I had more control, it would be SB only and just stick with it and exercise. I hope this works for you. The ladies on this board are awesome and full of good advice for eating so ask away and I am certain they will help you.

MONET- Loved your FF! Nice to see you.

My Friday Funny:

A gynecologist had become fed up with malpractice insurance and was on the verge of being burned out. Hoping to try another career where skillful hands would be beneficial, he decided to change careers and become a mechanic.

He found out from the local technical college what was involved,
signed up for evening classes, attended diligently, and learned all he could. When the time for the practical exam approached, the gynecologist prepared carefully for weeks, and completed the exam with tremendous skill.

When the results came back, he was surprised to find that he had
obtained a score of 150%. Fearing an error, he called the instructor, saying "I don't want to appear ungrateful for such an outstanding result, but I was wondering if there had been an error which needed adjusting."

The instructor said, "During the exam, you took the engine apart
perfectly, which was worth 50% of the total mark. You put the engine back together again perfectly, which is also worth 50% of the mark." The instructor went on to say," I gave you an extra 50% because you did all of it through the muffler."
Old 01-24-2003, 07:52 AM   #108  

GRACIOUS: Your FF is hilarious! I copied it and sent it to a friend who is a labor and delivery nurse...

BARBC: I too did Atkins, and did not lose. I had lost a lot of weight on it a number of years ago, but when I tried it about three years ago, nothing. I have lost more on SugarBusters, tho it is very slow. I would not lose on it either, without my doctors help. I take a number of medications to help. I suggest you try SB. It is very healthy, and easy to follow. The principles are somewhat the same, SB just allows more healthy things like fruit and veggies. If you do not lose on SB, get your thyroid checked. I have read an article recently that says the thyroid needs a certain number of carbs a day to convert T4 into T3. That may be the reason some people just can't lose on Atkins. Their thyroid is out of whack, and eating no carbs does not help. I might add that I HAVE to exercise, or I don't lose anything because of my thyroid problems. I hope you find SB helpful.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:18 AM   #109  

Morning Every Buddy!!!

I'm still puny, but I'm at work....Just wanted to post this for Jackie.
I thought of you when I ready this today.
Have a good day everyone!!

Black and Bleu Chicken

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Cajun seasoning (buy this in the spice aisle)

3 tablespoons butter

1/4 lb. bleu cheese, crumbled

Start a large, heavy-bottomed skillet heating over medium-high heat. In the meanwhile, one at a time, place each chicken breast in a heavy zipper-lock plastic bag, and using a meat tenderizing hammer, a regular hammer, or whatever blunt object comes to hand (I use a 3-pound dumbbell!), pound each breast till it's about 1/4" thick all over - this should take about 30 seconds per breast. Sprinkle both sides of each pounded breast with the Cajun seasoning. Melt the butter in the skillet, and add your chicken breasts. Saute for 4-5 minutes per side, or until done through. When they're just about done, sprinkle the crumbled bleu cheese over the chicken breasts, dividing it evenly between all three. Cover the skillet for a minute more, to let the cheese melt, and serve. 3 servings, each with 2 grams of carb and 36 grams of protein.

BOB
Old 01-24-2003, 08:54 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

TGIF!

It's 5 here today. Brrr.. Got home last night and worked out and then did the 3 miles tape. Every time I start I think I will do only 2 and always end up finishing it. I was pooped though. Went to bed early.

Not much going on here.

Dawn, you are so right about who we owe our freedom to. It just breaks my heart seeing all these men and women shippin gout right now. It is so scary and theya re so brave. My prayers are always with them. Good for you doing your walking a lunch. I hope to do that here when Spring finally arrives. Great deal on the coat. DIdn't know cleaners did that.

Gator, Hope your studying is going good.

Bob, Wish you felt better. Sure hope it is nothing serious. Girlfriend you have had a time between your illnesses and your mom's. How is Kate doing BTW? Thanks for the recipe. I will give it a try. ALways looking for something to do with chicken.

Lindarn, If you are talking about sf candies and such I would avoid them as much as possible. Maybe a treat once in awhile, but they can cause sugar cravings. You are smart to try to be healthy while on the fertility drugs. You don't want to add weight to your problem. Good luck.

BarbC, welcome to SB. I can't answer your question, but I do know that Atkins is not something you can do forever and SB is. Good luck.

Fruit, Gosh Mardi Gras time already. I'm surprised that you ahven't started before now, but it is later this year. Get some rest.

Sef, computers can drive you crazy. Just glad you got to atleast say Hi.

Adams, drop in when you can. I will check out the site.

Gracious, those were the days! Have fun on your retreat. You just got rid of those pounds so don't put anymore on to take back off. You can do it.

Monet, loved the joke.

Have a great day, Be back later

Jackie
257/162/145
10-10-01
Old 01-24-2003, 08:57 AM   #111  

Here are some FF's:

HEALTHY LIVING:
Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it. Don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?
A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable slop.

Q: Is beer or wine bad for me?
A: Look, it goes to the earlier point about fruits and vegetables. As we all know, scientists divide everything in the world into three categories: animal, mineral and vegetable. We all know that beer and wine are not animal, and they are not on the periodic table of elements, so that only leaves one thing, right? My advice: Have a burger and a beer and enjoy your
liquid vegetables.

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have a body, and you have body fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain - Good.

Q: If I stop smoking, will I live longer?
A: Nope. Smoking is a sign of individual expression and peace of mind. If you stop, you'll probably stress yourself to death in record time.

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: You're not listening! Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more Vegetables be bad for you?

Q: What's the secret to healthy eating?
A: Thicker gravy.

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: Are you crazy? HELLO ... Cocoa beans ... Another vegetable!!! "It's the best feel-good food around!"

In my next life......
>
> I'm gonna be a bear.....
>
>If you're a bear, you get to hibernate. You do nothing but sleep
>for six
>
>months. I could deal with that.
>
>
>Before you hibernate, you're supposed to eat yourself stupid. I
>could
>
>deal with that, too.
>
>If you're a bear, you birth your children (who are the size of
>walnuts)
>
>while you're sleeping and wake to partially grown, cute cuddly
>cubs. I
>
>could definitely deal with that.
>
>If you're a mama bear, everyone knows you mean business. You swat
>anyone
>
>who bothers your cubs. If your cubs get out of line, you swat
>them too. I
>could deal with that.
>
>If you're a bear, your mate EXPECTS you to wake up growling. He
>EXPECTS
>
>that you will have hairy legs and excess body fat.
>
>
>Yup..... Gonna be a bear

AND THE LAST ONE...
His story/her story

>
>Her side of the story:
> >
> > My husband was in an odd mood Saturday night. We
> > planned to meet at a cafe for a drink. I spent the
> > afternoon shopping with the girls and I thought it
> > might have been my fault because I was a bit later
> > than I promised but he didn't say anything about it. I
> > don't remember doing anything to make him upset, but I
> > could tell there was something wrong.
> >
> > The conversation was quite slow going so I thought we
> > should go off to someplace intimate so we could talk
> > more privately. We went to this restaurant and he was
> > STILL acting a bit funny. I was getting really
> > worried, what did I do? What was bothering him? Was he
> > mad at me?
> >
> > I tried to cheer him up, but started to wonder what
> > was bothering him. Was it me or something else? I
> > asked him if he was upset with me, he said
> > no. But I wasn't really sure.
> >
> > In the car on the way back home, I said that I loved
> > him deeply and he just put his arm around me. I didn't
> > know what the heck that meant because, you know, he
> > didn't say it back or anything. We finally got back
> > home and I was wondering if he was going to leave me!
> > So I tried to get him to talk but he just switched on
> > the TV.
> >
> > Reluctantly, I said I was going to go to bed. Then
> > after about 10 minutes, he joined me and to my
> > surprise, we made love. But, he still seemed
> > really distracted, so afterwards I wanted to confront
> > him but didn't, so I just cried myself to sleep. I
> > just don't know what to do anymore. I mean, I really
> > think he's seeing someone else.
> >
> >
> > His Side of the Story:
> >
> > Played a bad round of golf today --- shot 87 - - -can't putt for
> > ****! Felt kinda tired. Got laid though.
> >
Old 01-24-2003, 09:00 AM   #112  

JUST GOT ONE MORE THAT IS SOO TRUE!
Subject: EVEN GOD ENJOYS A GOOD LAUGH

>There were 3 good arguments that Jesus was Black:

>1. He called everyone "brother"
>2. He liked Gospel
>3. He couldn't get a fair trial.
>
>
>But then there were 3 equally good arguments that Jesus was Jewish:
>1. He went into His Fathers business.
>2. He lived at home until he was 33.
>3. He was sure his Mother was a virgin and his mother was sure he
>was God.
>
>
>But then there were 3 equally good arguments that Jesus was Italian:
>1. He talked with his hands.
>2. He had wine with every meal.
>3. He used olive oil.
>
>
>But then there were 3 equally good arguments that Jesus was a Californian:
>1. He never cut his hair.
>2. He walked around barefoot all the time.
>3. He started a new religion.
>
>
>But then there were 3 equally good arguments that Jesus was Irish:
>1. He never got married.
>2. He was always telling stories.
>3. He loved green pastures.
>
>
>But the most compelling evidence of all---3 proofs that Jesus was a woman:
>1. He fed a crowd at a moment's notice when there was no food.
>2. He kept trying to get a message across to a bunch of men who
>just didn't get it.
>3. And even when he was dead, He had to get up because there was
>more work to do.
>
>Amen!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 09:00 AM   #113  

Happy Friday everyone!

Thanks for the warm welcome. Almost at the end of two weeks of Sugar-bsting. Haven't gotten on the scale yet, but I can tell I've dropped afew pounds. Decided to wait a few weeks for the first weigh in.

Have an amazing weekend, everyone!
Old 01-24-2003, 10:07 AM   #114  

Fruit and Gator- Okay, will you two stop it already! I took three years of French while in college (I finished only five years ago) and you guys have completely lost me! I didnít know I could forget an entire language that quickly. I guess if you donít use it, you lose it!

Bob- Iím praying very hard for you. I know that things like this can be SOOOO scary!

Adams- Sorry you wonít be here as much. Very cool new board! Iíve registered and posted! I can use all the support I can get.

Gracious- Way to go get rid of that water weight. You are an inspiration in perseverance. Have fun on that retreat! I hope your spirit is fed by some time with your Sisters in Christ. I got some looks from my co-workers when I ready your FF! That is just too funny!

Jack-K- Iíve printed your FF to share with my SB buddy in the office, she will LOVE it!

Diz- Glad to have you with us! Good plan waiting to weigh-in.

We actually had LEGAL goodies in the office this am! One of the other secretaries brought in a delicoius breakfast cassorole to share Yum!

Drove my new car to work this morning (Well, it's new to ME!). My parents got a new car and for Christmas they gave dh and I their old one. We're now a two-car family!

Well, must run and actually get some work done today!

Love y'all,
Katrina
Old 01-24-2003, 10:09 AM   #115  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

ARGH!

I was nicely in to a post when MICHAEL said he needed to print out something on the computer, so I step aside, come back, and POOF! My post has disappeared! Geez!! I can't win for nothing!

Okay, will try to start again. It's VERY cold here today. Okay, stop laughing at those of us down here in Florida, it's darn tootin cold for SOFLA. When I started this post is was 37 and with the wind gusts feels like 26. I thought I would be able to sleep in late today, no school. Figured I'd stay warm under my toasty covers, Woke up, but layed in bed until the door bell rang at 8am. MICHAEL has 6 kids for what's called a GROUP 4 PROJECT that they've been working on for months and serves as 25% of a grade for the grading period. Well, I almost freaked when one of the girls brings in these 4 dishes that are growning maggots in them! As she's mentioning that she's worried that there's some kind of bio hazard, growing all this bacteria, I'm dying as she places them on my kitchen table! They're sealed and all, but still! I made her put them in ziploc backs and washed down the table (once so far). What's even more gross, these samples were swabbed from the Metrorail, people mover that we have here in Miami, fro various areas like railings, seats, etc. OMG! Now the kids know why I say not to touch these areas and then tough their faces, eyes, etc.! I'm listening to them in the kitchen saying how disgusting it is! It is!!!!!

Anyhow, then, come 10am there's a bunch of kids coming for MICHAEL'S filming of the movie he's making. They are shooting a scene in our driveway. I don't know how they'll work this out, they have to wear clothes out there that will fit in with other scenes not being filmed til later, til it's warmer. I have to get ready and go pick up a kid to bring him here that doesn't have a ride - heck, that means I have brave the FRIGID COLD!!!!

Okay, have to run, want to get at least this much posted as I don't have a clue when I can continue this. Will get to individual replies later.

Stay warm everyone, and have a great weekend!

Debbie
Old 01-24-2003, 10:32 AM   #116  
Goddess

Unhappy BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Freezing here--wind chill was -10 when I went out to get the paper this morning. I had to run water in all the faucets last night so the pipes wouldn't freeze. Throat is sore, coughing my head off, TOM came yesterday---SOMEBODY PLEASE WAKE ME UP WHEN IT IS JULY!!!!!!!

Love the friday funnies!!! It is so much warmer when I am laughing!

Deb--motherhood--what an adventure! When all my friends had cute and adorable little babies, I wanted one so badly--now that they are all moody teenagers, I'm thinking that I'm doing just fine w/o kids! Seriously, I would have loved to have been a mom, but God seemed to have other things in mind for me, and I am fine with that. Besides--he did send me the worlds most adorable nieces to spoil!

Mom2marsh, Gator and Missy--I have a Ph.D. and French was the one subject I could not master. I took in Jr. High, Sr. High, College and grad school. You'd think I'd be fluent by now--but nooooooooo. Barely passed it each time I took it. Merde!

Disney--WTG! Hang in there--often the way you feel and the way your clothes fit is a better indicator than the scale--which loves to torture us.

BOB--Hope you are feeling better soon. Maybe you are allergic to the cold! I know I am--I'm in a pretty p***y mood until about mid-March when it begins to warm up for good. I hope the Dr. is able to find out what is wrong and that it can be fixed in a jiffy. Give Skeeter a scratch for me!

Adams--pop in anytime--you are always welcome!

SEF--I'm looking for my next needlepoint or cross-stitch project. nay suggestions (just no Christmas patterns--ready to stitch something other than Santa Claus). Actually I'd like to do something with black cats in honor of Miss Belle.

BarbC--Welcome! This is a friendly place, and we look forward to getting to know you!

Monet--Well whoever it is that has a daughter getting married and has 350 people coming--GOOD LUCK! Is it any warmer in Atlanta? My poor little heat pump is working as hard as it can to keep the house at 62 degrees! Belle and I are snuggling a lot to keep warm.

Heartmom--Please let us know that the Dr. says about Boogie. I hope he does not have to have the cath. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Got to go--time to get to work!

Have a great day everyone!

Susan
Old 01-24-2003, 01:35 PM   #117  

FILLISE: I don't think it is warmer here... but then I have not ventured out at all! I didn't even have to go pick my daughter up from track practice yesterday. She came in with running shorts and a short sleeve t-shirt on, just about blue! She had been running 3 miles outside after school for practice! ack! I hope she took sweats today, but I am willing to bet she will run in shorts again. I am sure she got the insanity genes from her father's side of the family..... I have the electric mattress pad on high and am sticking close to it. Taking a 'mono' day...reading and keeping warm.

Here is another FF:

A young boy had just gotten his driving permit. He asked his father, who was a minister, if they could discuss his use of the car. "I'll make a deal with you," said his father. "You bring your grades up, study your Bible a little, get your hair cut, and then we'll talk."
A month later the boy came back and again asked his father if they could discuss his use of the car. "Son, I'm real proud of you. You've brought your grades up and
you've studied your Bible, but you didn't get hair cut!"
"You know, Dad, I've been thinking about that. Samson had long hair, Moses had long hair, Noah had long hair, and even Jesus had long hair."
"Yes son, and they walked everywhere they went!"
Old 01-24-2003, 01:50 PM   #118  

Deb- Stay warm! I actually think Michaelís project sounds fascinating but then again, itís not on my kitchen table!

Fillise- I like you more and more with each post. Iím an avid cross-stitcher myself. Iím definitely not a fast one though. I have a beautiful peacock xstitch I started 3 years ago when I quit smoking. Iím still not done with it. Itís the biggest project Iíve ever undertaken. 24 aida, each stitch covers two blocks, different colored strands in each stitch, about 18Ēx30ĒÖ

WOO HOO- just noticed I'm no longer a "Junior Member"

--Kat

Last edited by Mom2Marsh; 01-24-2003 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:25 PM   #119  
sef

HiedieHo All!

To quote Professor Higgins, "Damn, damn, damn!" I just lost another post! It happened the same as last night. I clicked on save in word pad and down went the computer! Oh well, such is life!!

If you don't count the computer snafu it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. It's sunny and the air is BRISK! It is so chilly my DIL called from work and asked me to turn on the pool pump. I went out and did so, the pump made a terrible noise and I couldn't see the water sloshing around inside. I decided to give it a minute or two, didn't want to burn it out, I went and stood by the pool to watch the ports. Finally a little bubble appeared, a long pause and then another until finally a huge explosion of water and bubbles, a few more chugs and it began to run normally. Apparently it was partially frozen and I was hoping the force from the pump would break it up, which it did.

I will admit to all you southern gals, that standing by the pool in my muumuu with barefeet was a little CHILLY!!!

Another thing to make the day not so perfect........changing the bed, washing and cleaning. While the washer is doing it's thing I put some some sausage and sauerkraut on to cook. It smelled so good......and tastes good too!

JACKK: You beat me to the bunch with the Bear joke. My NH group enjoyed it. I printed out the others to take in for them. They'll love the golf one!

FILLISE: I have an adorable "I love cats" I think it's called. I will check and see. If you are willing to send me your snail address I will send you a copy, it's old and out of print so is okay to copy. I will check on other cats too.

MONET: Cute!

MOM2: I'm just as avid, your project sounds awesome! I did that one time with a Black Swan, started and then set it aside because I was moving, about three years later I just finished it, now have to frame it. But that is unusual for me, I stitch until it's done!

Okay I have a couple of FFs too."Cash, check or charge?" I asked, after folding items the woman wished to purchase. As she fumbled for her wallet I noticed a remote control for a television set in her purse.

"So, do you always carry your TV remote?" I asked.

"No," she replied, "but my husband refused to come shopping with me, so I figured this was the most evil thing I could do to him."

UNDERSTANDING WOMEN

I know I'm not going to understand women. I'll never understand how you
can take boiling hot wax, pour it onto your upper thigh, rip the hair out by
the root, and still be afraid of a spider.

HEY! WAIT A MINUTE...

I said to my wife, "Guess what I heard in the pub? They reckon the
milkman has made love to every woman in our road except one." And she said, "I'll bet it's that stuck-up Sylvia at number 23."

DIFFERENT IDEAS

A couple are lying in bed. The man says, "I am going to make you the
happiest woman in the world!" The woman says, dryly, "I'll miss you."

NO CABBAGE FOR YOU

Two elderly ladies meet at the launderette after not seeing one another
for some time. After inquiring about each other's health one asked how
the other's husband was doing. "Oh! Ted died last week. He went out to the garden to dig up a cabbage for dinner, had a heart attack and dropped down dead, right there in the middle of the vegetable patch!"
"Oh dear! I'm very sorry," replied her friend.

"What did you do?"
"
Opened a can of peas instead."

AND
I am in shape. _Round is a shape.

Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.

Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember, amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels good.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.

An optimist thinks this is the best possible world. A pessimist fears this is true.

There will always be death and taxes; however, death doesn't get worse every year.

In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

I am a nutritional overachiever.

I plan on living forever. So far, so good.

A day without sunshine is like night.

It's frustrating when you know all the answers, but nobody bothers to ask you the questions.

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.

Age doesn't always bring wisdom. Sometimes it comes alone.

Life not only begins at forty, it also begins to show.

AND

I am in shape. _Round is a shape.

Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.

Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember, amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels good.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.

An optimist thinks this is the best possible world. A pessimist fears this is true.

There will always be death and taxes; however, death doesn't get worse every year.

In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

I am a nutritional overachiever.

I plan on living forever. So far, so good.

A day without sunshine is like night.

It's frustrating when you know all the answers, but nobody bothers to ask you the questions.

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.

Age doesn't always bring wisdom. Sometimes it comes alone.

Life not only begins at forty, it also begins to show.

AND

For those of you (I know there are some younguns here) who never saw the Burma Shave signs, here is a quick lesson in our history of the 1930's and '40's. Before the Interstates, when everyone drove the old 2 lane roads, Burma Shave signs would be posted all over the countryside in farmers' fields. They were small red signs with white letters. Five signs, about 100 feet apart, each containing 1 line of a 4 line couplet....... and the obligatory 5th sign advertising Burma Shave, a popular shaving cream. Here are a few of the actual signs:
_

DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD TO GAIN A MINUTE YOU NEED YOUR HEAD YOUR BRAINS ARE IN IT. *** Burma Shave***
_
DROVE TOO LONG DRIVER SNOOZING WHAT HAPPENED NEXT IS NOT AMUSING. ***Burma Shave***
_
BROTHER SPEEDER LET'S REHEARSE ALL TOGETHER GOOD MORNING NURSE ***Burma Shave***
_
CAUTIOUS RIDER TO HER RECKLESS DEAR LET'S HAVE LESS BULL AND MORE STEER ***Burma Shave***
_
SPEED WAS HIGH WEATHER WAS NOT TIRES WERE THIN X MARKS THE SPOT ***Burma Shave***
_
THE MIDNIGHT RIDE OF PAUL FOR BEER LED TO A WARMER HEMISPHERE
***Burma Shave***
_
AROUND THE CURVE LICKETY-SPLIT ITS A BEAUTIFUL CAR WASN'T IT?
***Burma shave***
_
NO MATTER THE PRICE NO MATTER HOW NEW THE BEST SAFETY DEVICE IN THE CAR IS YOU *** Burma Shave***
_
A GUY WHO DRIVES A CAR WIDE OPEN IS NOT THINKIN' HE'S JUST HOPIN'
***Burma Shave***
_
AT INTERSECTIONS LOOK EACH WAY A HARP SOUNDS NICE BUT ITS HARD TO PLAY ***Burma Shave***
_
BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL EYES ON THE ROAD THAT'S THE SKILLFUL DRIVER'S CODE ***Burma Shave***
_
THE ONE WHO DRIVES WHEN HE'S BEEN DRINKING DEPENDS ON YOU TO DO HIS THINKING ***Burma Shave***
_
CAR IN DITCH DRIVER IN TREE THE MOON WAS FULL AND SO WAS HE.
***Burma Shave***
_
And my all time favorite
_
PASSING SCHOOL ZONE TAKE IT SLOW LET OUR LITTLE SHAVERS GROW
***Burma Shave*
_
Now do these bring back memories?? If not, you are such a child. OR, if they do, you're older then dirt.
_
Shirley
Old 01-24-2003, 03:16 PM   #120  

Just have time for a quick hello to everyone. It was cold last night but supposed to start warming back up. The sun is shining, though, and it's not too windy.

What's everyone doing for the Super Bowl. We're having a couple of friends over and planning some nice legal snacks. Here's hoping dirty martini's are quasi-legal. BOB, I'm having one for you since it was mentioned at the get-together that you do like them just a little bit (Sonya blabbed!!!).

Hope everybody has a great week-end and stays warm.

GO BUCS!!!!

See ya,

Trish
Closed Thread