Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2001, 07:53 AM   #16  

HI FRIENDS!!!!

Hope everybody’s Monday has been super. Mine was okay. My boss felt bad that she had made us come in on a holiday, so we took a really long shopping break (about 2 1/2 hours). That was sweet. We actually went to Wild Oats (my first trip). I found the CHOCOLOVE 70% chocolate bar. I’m so excited!!! But threw it in the freezer as soon as I got home. I’m going to make it so I have to PLAN to eat it and not do it in the heat of the moment. Also bought some carob peanut butter out of the grinder machine. Even though it looks ABSOLUTELY disgusting, it tastes pretty good. I just take a little on the tip of my spoon and savor every morsel.

ORANGE---I STILL cannot find the Wiley’s. Checked a bigger Krogers this weekend and WO today and everybody keeps looking at me like I’ve got three heads. Would you mind picking up a couple of different packets for me and I can get them from you in March???? If you want I’ll send you the $$$ now. Just let me know how much they are. I told the Kroger produce guy that the Atlanta Krogers has them. He said that if I could bring in an empty container, he’d see about ordering them. I can’t understand that Krogers is based in Cincinnati, but we don’t get all the good stuff here. Weird. Anyways, I just had to vent to you and then beg for your kindness. LOL!

CHERI & CATHY---So sorry to hear about your grandmother’s passing. Mine died in 1985 and I still miss her terribly. My prayers are with you and your family.

DEB---Did you think I was being a smart *** when I asked if you thought Sharon’s presence was a help? I sure hope you didn’t. Because that’s definitely NOT where I was going. Please accept my apology if my thoughts came out wrong. I wish you’d start to feel better soon. This seems to be dragging on. Did you make an appt today? I’m not for taking antibiotics all the time, but in a case like this, honey, you need some. Is your fever still hanging around???

JOY---Your cookies sound WONDERFUL!!! Sorry to hear about the numbness. That must be really irritating. I have this thing where I wake up inthe middle of the night because my hand has fallen asleep. At least if I shake it, it goes away, but yours is hanging around. Not a pleasant feeling. I’m hoping you get some sweet relief from it real soon.

OVERCOME---Thanks so much for your comforting words about cancer. You are so right. It did used to be a death sentence, but now there is so much that can be done. I haven’t talked to her today. May call after I finish here. She’s such a great person with a full and vital life. It’s going to be so hard for her to be out of commission for a while during that first series of chemo. But we don’t even know if it’s spread anywhere (into the lymph nodes or centenal nodes) yet. So I’m not sure when that procedure will be.
Thanks again. You’re a doll for thinking of her and also for comforting me.

VIV---Hang in there, girl! I’m so glad you get on and tell us when you are in a bad mood. Winter can be very depressing. I can relate to that one in a BIG way. If you’re having breakthrough bleeding, you should call your doctor. (Are you sure you didn’t miss a pill? I take mine right before bed and I’ve missed a few times and then had some spotting.) Did you just start taking a new kind of BCP? That was another reason I had some bleeding before . . . until I found the right one that worked for me. I sure hope you have a better day tomorrow. Remember . . . there has to be somebody further north than you who’s feet are ten times as cold as yours. Smile to yourself when you think about that poor person and how you are sitting in a better position than him. (Does this sound like a load of bull??? Part of me thinks “yes”, but then the other part thinks it’s a weak attempt to make you smile or laugh.) I’m trying to think of a funny story, but nothing is popping into mind. Do you watch Will & Grace? I think the two side-kicks are pretty funny. Can you tell I’m grasping at straws to think of something funny. I think I’m getting pretty pathetic, so I’ll just stop for now and say I’m thinking about you and trying to send you some smiles telepathically. Are they making it?????

I feel very fat and bloated today. TOM is just around the corner. I sure hope that’s it. I’m fearing the WIW. Today’s eating was somewhat better. I’ve decided that I MUST start writing everything down. I had done that for so many months in Weight Watchers and was so sick of doing it. But I realize that I am not keeping track very well. So I decided today to start keeping record and eating the correct portion size.

I have a small thought for Motivational Monday. I’m re-reading The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. He says that there are four agreements to live our lives by in order to achieve personal freedom. In a nutshell they are: 1. Be impeccable with your word--meaning always speak the truth and always speak from love. 2. Never take anything personally--this part was VERY eye-opening for me. 3. Never make any assumptions--Making an assumption comes from poor communication and we live like our assumption is the truth when all it really is is something we’ve created in our very busy minds. 4. Always do your best--this is the one that I can really key in on about losing weight. He says that if we ALWAYS do our best then we do not need to feel guilty or judge ourselves. He says that our best is different from day to day. If we’re sick, our best won’t be what it would be on a totally healthy day. If we are super busy and pulled in 8 million directions, our best will be different. Here’s a great quote “Doing your best, you are going to live your life intensely. You are going to be productive, you are going to be good to yourself, because you will be giving yourself to your family, to your commuity, to everything. But it is the action that is going to make you feel intensely happy. When you always do your best, you take action. Doing your best is taking the action because you love it, not because you’re expecting a reward. Most people do exactly the opposite: They only take action when they expect a reward, and they don’t enjoy the action. And that’s the reason they don’t do their best.” Kim talking now . . . For me, this is why I’m faltering with this wonderful way of eating. I am focusing every single day on the reward (getting to goal) when it would be better for me to focus on the act of getting myself happy & healthy. Sometimes I feel like each day is a substitute teacher and I’m going to try and get by with as much stuff as possible and see what the scales say. I am NOT focusing or loving the action. I’m just loving the reward. And for me, I don’t think there will be a reward unless I fall in love with the action. Hope this makes sense and isn’t too heavy or boring or “out there.” It’s a great book!

Hope all is well with everyone. Talk to you later.
Kim
Old 02-20-2001, 08:51 AM   #17  

Hi Everyone...

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. As you know I was sick most of last week and am still feeling very puny. We had a horrible storm here on Friday and it did significant damage. Some of you may not know but I work for the Red Cross so I have been working around the clock trying to help the people whose homes were so badly damaged. Well I have to go...just wanted you to know I hadn't abandoned anyone...

Anna
B'ham
222/140/140
Old 02-20-2001, 09:24 AM   #18  

Good evening all
I hope all had a great Monday...The great way to start the week is with a great day. My day went well...I feel good, I walked my 100th mile tonight. I have been walking every night but only doing 2 or 3 miles each time, so I was please to get that many miles behnd my, now I am going for 3 or 4 miles each night.
I feel like I am not doing so great with the way I am eating. I am still following SB but I have been snacking "alittle" more and more. Today I started to finish my son's fries from Mcdonald's. Had to throw them in the back seat, out of reach, so I wouldn't finish them. I think maybe I need to reread the book again. I need the reinforcement.

I am sorry to hear that some of you are still feeling blah,,,and sorry to hear about the loss some of you had in you families.

I hope all have a great weight loss week and success in all you do. Laurie
Old 02-20-2001, 09:54 AM   #19  

Hi everyone. It's been forever since I've checked in. I've been working a lot on my scrapbooking, and I seem to have time for either that or the computer, but not both. I tried to check in the other night, but it wasn't working for some reason.

Anyway, I'm plugging away on this WOL. Today has been HARD. That TOM is soon approaching and I feel soooooo out of control. So far, I haven't eaten anything "illegal", but oh, how I want to!! Once a month I just want to chuck it all and go for all the horrible, obnoxious white flour laden garbage!!! Hopefully I can hang in there.

That's all from rainy Northern CA. Good Tuesday to all of you.

------------------
Barb
"Success is a journey- not a destination!!"
Old 02-20-2001, 10:14 AM   #20  

Well its Monday! woooo hoooo. Hope everyone survived the week end. I had no work tonight because of the Holiday. My kids are returned in good condition! They had a good visit with there cousins and aunts. Hubby got spoiled by all the attention he got. We needed a break. (he better not get used to it). Talk about being off schedule. He sabbotages (?)me also and i don't like it. I did get my excersise! but my week end was a total blow out it seems like food wise! Today was a near perfect Sugar Buster day! (who is perfect!) I went to a book store and turned a woman on to the sugar buster book she said her hubby had high colesteral and was looking for something! I told her to go to the library though! We also chatted about Weight watchers. Its nice to be able to help someone even if they don't take your advise! I really stressed the food craving thing though! I don't have much time. Hope everyone is feeling better.
Cheri-hugs to you for your loss. Life is a precious thing.
Deb-I don't know the deal with the Jack daniels and the sweet potatoes! She had them layered with slices of oranges too! They where tasty! Hope you got ahold of the Dr.
Bunny-hang in there!!! that TOM can be a PAIN! Don't ya hate bein a woman?
lamap-congrats on the excersise! I got out today and yesterday for a walk felt good! Old habits die hard huh -with the frys! I think that was my slip up today with my near perfect day one fry from yucky smelly BK! Oh well gotta train those kids to eat all their junk right!
beach-sorry to hear about the storm. You seem to get all the bad weather! I though snow was bad. Hope you feel better soon!
Viv- cheer up!!!!!! I know how ya feel! Just think of Disney and how good you'll feel then!!! I am jealous!
Overcome-glad your feeling better today. A day off always helps! I know how ya feel about food and visiting. That is part of the reason i let my kids go to the inlaws for a visit with out me this week end! Not a good excuse but i never know what they will eat and i don't want to be a pain! Oh well i guess we just have to deal with it right?
Wish i could chat on Thursday! can't work! anyone who want to go in during the day let me know-somehow!!! have a great day tomorrow. I am going roller skating with the kids woooooo hooooo-great excersise!
Old 02-20-2001, 12:39 PM   #21  

WHY do the Girl Scouts HAVE to sell cookies? Why can't it be power tools like the commercial?! My husband ordered 2 boxes of the mint cookies, before I started my new WOE. They came today. He is keeping one at the office, but one is in my freezer. Do you know that a serving is 4 cookies and there are 10 servings in a box? Each serving is 140 Cal and 10g sugar? Why can't we drop the 0's and have 14 cal and 1 sugar? Just the SMELL makes my mouth water! The ingredients say they are made with wheat flour. Doesn't that make it just a little bit legal? Oh, well. Maybe one a week for the next 40 weeks. LOL

Just got home from work and need to get some sleep, so don't have time to post individually. Sounds like several are having bummer days. Hope tomorrow is better.

Still haven't heard anything on the hypothyroidism. Did have another allergic reaction to something this weekend but no clue as to what. My lips swelled and this time I had an asthma attack at the same time.

Have a good night.

Lana
220/214/150
Colchester, IL
Old 02-20-2001, 05:23 PM   #22  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Tuesday Morning Everyone!

I can't believe I didn't get on the board last night, I was slowly fading away BEFORE Everybody Loves Raymond came on last night. I couldn't stay up! I was in bed before 9:30pm, gosh, I must be getting old!!!

Sharon came down for a few hours and got me out of the house, nothing exciting, just nice to get out for a couple hours. Still not feeling 100% but a little better today. I'm planning to go up her way today, Eli is working, kids are being picked up by their Dad and I'm a free woman all day long!!! Maybe we can take in a movie, that would be fun.

CATHY, never heard of Anderson's, but what brand of chocolate did you end up getting?? I have a friend coming from the UK and I've asked her to find me some good high cocoa content chocolate to add to my stash

JOY, let us know when you get the cookie recipe posted, can't wait to try it! Nope, I didn't get the Dr., slap my wrists. Speaking of wrists, how is yours doing today, is the feeling coming back???

OVERCOME, I had this mental picture of you, a gun, and a piece of white bread! LOL!! I'm sure you'll be surprised if you get your chol. done, SB surely must of brought it down. Eli's is really high, 290! He's going to a study of a new drug, suppose to be better than Lipitor. Hope it helps!

BIGORANGE, which color would you like?? Trust me, it has color! I think it's getting better, or at least I'm hoping it is. I would rather not have to take antibiotic if I don't have to, I'll see how I do today. Try doing Cathy's AIM without the underscore, that's what I did, though I haven't seen if that works or not. So I guess a stop to Fresh Market will be on the agenda???

QUILTER, glad you were able to find the Chocolove, my store down here doesn't carry it, not sure why, as I know they have it in other states, which is where I got it. I didn't think you were being a smarty pants at all I don't think I'm running much of a fever, if any, today - I'll see how I feel after today and then decide if I will call the Dr. THanks for worrying about me

VIV, don't worry about being up, hormones do that to us-just be patient, it will go back down. I highly doubt the chips did that to you, one meal won't make you gain a pound! Unsweetened carob is fine. The agave nectar, use measure for measure in place of honey, when used in baking, lower oven 25 degrees and watch whatever you are making, sometimes bakes a little faster. You'd have to know how the bagels are made, what's in them, but I would probably say pump is better. Remember serving sizes as well, bagels these days are BIG! I have seen those letters before, interesting, huh?!?

GLORY, how are you doing? Have those cravings subsided. You said your hubby was leaving town, how long is he away for???

BEACH, seems being sick is hanging on for us both. Hope you get better quickly. Sorry to hear there's more work due to disasters for you, seems AL has gotten some nasty hits this year!

IAMAP, congrats on going that 100th mile-keep up the walking. I really miss my walking this past week, I love it!

BUNNY, glad to see you on the board, and still keeping on plan. Trust me, we all get nuts around that TOM, but it passes, as you well know. You'll get through that time with flying colors!

RHROO, glad to hear you had a great SB day. Trust me, your hubby isn't the only one who tries to get you to eat non-SB things, Eli does too. He knows I won't partake, but I guess he feels lonely when he's eating crap that he knows he shouldn't! He wants company, no way Jose!

COUNTRY, I know what you mean, the GS are all over down here selling their wares. I haven't bought a single box, and thin mints are my favorites as well. You made me laugh-listing all the info! Do what I do, have someone eat one and let them breath on your nose, as you inhale so deeply with closed eyes - it works! LOL!!!

Gotta run, time for Michael to get ready for school. I'll try to check in before I go up to see Sharon, otherwise, I'll check in with you all tonight.

Have a wonderful day!!!

Debbie
194/135.5/129

Old 02-20-2001, 08:10 PM   #23  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Just a quickie...

Forgot it was Tuesday with yesterday being a holiday! Just wanted to remind you all that TOMORROW IS WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY!!!! I hope the metal monster is kind to us all!!!

Oh, and nut that I am, I went out and walked this morning after 1 full week of no exercise - I had to, at least try to do it. I went 3.5 miles, it was hard, I went slow, but hey, I went - now I hope I don't get more sick than I still am.

I'm off to Broward! I'll check in with you all tonight!

Debbie
194/135.5/129
Miami, Fl
Old 02-20-2001, 08:59 PM   #24  
viv

Morning Everyone.....
Feeling slightly less miserable today - the temps will go into the 40s and I got one hockey practice out of the way for the week -2 to go, not including the weekend (but we're going away for a nite, so we'll miss those)....you have no idea how hard it is to tie your kid's skates with cold hands! Forget about having nice nails!!!!

Still having BCP issues so I have a call into the doctor, probably take them 4 hours to call me back. I'm bloated and irritable so you'd think it was TOM...I'm confused. :confused: Anyway, I hope the weight drops when this is over because it's bumming me out!

This w/e we are going to see my inlaws for the first time in 3.5 years. Long story, basically, they misbehaved (again and again) and DH told them - that's it! So, while they haven't apologized, they have begged us to start over, so this is their first chance. We'll see. Anyway, MIL has lost 40 lbs on WW and it will be interesting to see her. She's short and quite block-shaped so I wonder what the 40 lbs lost will look like on her. Personally, I'll feel good if I'm just in the 130s....What an exciting getaway....not!

Connie - has the feeling come back in your fingers? Hope so...

Quilter - Hmmmm....I'm going to WO today and I dont' remember ever seeing carob peanut butter near the grinders - it sounds so good, I'm going to have to ask for it! One of the reasons I'm headed there is they make sushi with brown rice....I MUST have some sushi. There is sugar in the ingredients, but I know that is from the mixture they pour onto the rice to make it sushi rice....so it's not a lot. I need a fix! Keep us posted on your GF - she will prevail! BTW I tried IM-ing you last nite but....you ignored me,..... Thanks for the cheerup attempt - ya did get me to laugh, but I have to admit, then I did go back to being a crabby b*tch...I liked your motivational info - focusing on the action rather than the reward....I try to keep that focus. sometimes I'm just more successful than others.

Lamap - Congrats on the 100th mile! Do you use a pedomater? I hear ya re: the fries....I always put them in the back seat...then I stop the car and go to the back seat and get them!

DH just called me and was very annoying.....men!

Beach - the south sure does get some nasty storms.

Rhroo - You're lucky you can drop the kids with the ILs. I don't have that benefit.

Country - I fell for the GS cookies too! It would have been politically incorrect for me not to buy them. Now I just have to hide them when they get in the house, altho, honestly, I have not have the cravings I used to!

DEb - ooooohhhhh,,,, go see "Chocolat"! What a great chick flick! I cannot wait to see "Bridget Jones Diary" in April....I hope they make it a good movie, i LOOOOOOVED the books! How do you determine the cocoa content of a chocolate bar? I've never seen it on a label?

OK gals, off to work. I hope by the end of the day I;m not a raving lunatic like I have been.......

viv
146/?/128
simsbury, ct
Old 02-20-2001, 09:15 PM   #25  

Deb: Hi! I am home from work again today with this terrible illness. I can't believe how long it stays with you! I still have not lost a pound - can't figure out why. geez, last night all I ate was beef broth and sf jello - oh well, I will try to be patient. Hope you feel better! I will e-mail those addresses today.

Orange - Hi! I am new, but I think I wrote you once before. I have the dreaded colored mucus - does that mean I need to go to the doctor? I avoid the doctor and the weigh-ins as much as possible. My doctor is really a jerk about my attempts to lose weight too. He is one of those 100mph metabolism guys and has no empathy for the rest of us. He told me SB was a waste of time, so not looking forward to seeing him unless I have to! My e-mail is ASENGEL1@aol if you get a chance to answer this! Thanks!

Everyone else: Hello, my name is Annette and I have been on SB for 2 weeks. Deb helped me realize that I was eating illegal ww pretzels the first week, so that doesn't really count. However, have not lost yet... feel great though!

Thanks for the support, Annette from Ormond Beach, FL - just north of Daytona
Old 02-20-2001, 11:32 PM   #26  

Well Good Morning Ladies

It's still sun shining here. those weather men never get it right. Anyway i'm so glad to have the time to get on and chatter with you girls. It's very uplifting to get to talk about a problem we all have in common. I'm still haveing trouble with those darn cravings but I can feel they are coming under control. At least when I have one I eat SF. so It's not so bad.

Joy: hope you get some positive reaction about you wrist. I have a great big lump on mine and was waiting to find out how you do with yours before I have mine removed. so keep us informed and if you continue to have problems you keep on that phone with the doctor.

Quilter: I loved your quote, I sent it to my cousin. boy are those words to live by.

Beach: I'm glad your hanging in there. please take care, I realise your job is very important and you do a lot of good for others but if you don't take care of yourself you'll be no good to anyone else. So don't overdo.

Lamap: Girl you stay away from those fries. we all know how addicting they are.

Bunny: do you have a scanner? The reason I ask is that my cousin is a big scrappbooker and she does alot of her pages one the computer she uses her scanner to make the pages and to make designes for the book. Something to think about.

annette: Hang in there Girl, you take care of yourself and the lbs will come off sooner than you think (opps I guess with us it's never soon enough) just take care. and i'm glad your on board and on track.

Viv: Did I miss something in the post? are you about to go to Disney? I just keep seeing that name. please let me in on the info.

Rhoo: Roller Skating!! man am I jealous I always loved roller Skating as a young girl and when I was a thiner adult. I really miss it. Maybe when I get my knees replaced i'll be able to do it too. Have fun for me.

Country: Sorry to hear about your allergy problem, hope they get to the bottomof it of it for you soon. that sounds very dangerous. I agree about the Girl Scott cookies. I've decided that sence we always support the Girl Scotts that I just give them the money and tell them to share a box with the people that can eat them.

You all have a good day today love ya Glory
Old 02-21-2001, 01:22 AM   #27  

Hey all!

I'm glad your're feeling better Deb. And I hope every one else feels better soon.

Welcome Annette. I must say the first few weeks on SB taught me to eally read labels. And boy was that an eye-opener My DH still has to be reminded that white bread, while it may only have a couple of gs of sugar, it is not the best for us.

Oh, and Joe is looking great! he put on a pair of jeans and his gut hardly hung over at all!

We're slated to get an ultrasound today to see how far along I am with this baby. Some folks think it'll be September, but Joe and I think a little sooner. We'll see.

And this baby doesn't like eggs for breakfast. I had to switch over to oatmeal. And I've found I can't eat carbs at dinner or I become a monster and then pass out.

Tips? You know when you're having a really bad day and you think, What am I doing, I'll never make it? Check into the board. We're here to listne and commiserate with you. And hopefully offer some help that'll get you through the day. Studies have shown that a support group is an important part of permanent weight loss. It's been said before, but it's true. Call on the board when you need help.

I hope everyone's day goes well. Take care.
Old 02-21-2001, 01:34 AM   #28  

Hello Ladies!

Sorry I haven't been on, but I have been reading the posts. I can't stay long, since I am at work. Just wanted to drop in and tell you all that you are going to be cyber-aunts I found out yesterday that I am 5 weeks pregnant. I go to the OB on 3-13. I plan on staying on the sb woe. The only fear that I have is what to drink, besides water,...I know the artificial sweetners in diet sodas arent that good for the baby. Anyone have any suggestions?

I guess I won't be hitting that 85 weight loss by 10-20. hahahahaha

take care!

------------------
Stockbridge, Ga

On my way to a new me!

I stared SB on 11/4/00 at 344lbs.....goal is 220lbs
Old 02-21-2001, 02:32 AM   #29  

Hi everyone! Hope you are all having a great SB day. It is really nice here today. About 55 and the sun is shining.

I'm sorry to hear that some of you are ill. I hope that you're back to yourself soon.

Laurie, congratulations on your 100 miles. All of you who walk and exercise everyday are an inspiration. Now I just have to get my butt in gear and do it

Thanks again EVERYONE for your encouragement.

Cheri
287/276/145
Indianapois, IN
Old 02-21-2001, 03:55 AM   #30  

Hello all!
So nice to have a short work week this week! Don't have a lot of time. Just wanted to check in and say hi. Having fish for dinner. Yum!! (DH is cooking as I type).

VIV...have you figured out what is going on with the BCP yet? Didn't know "bridget jones" was going to be a movie. I read one of those books too. I enjoyed it! I am an AVID reader. I read on the treadmill and I could walk forever (well, not really!)

cynsea...COngratulations!!! How exciting for you!!! Looking forward to following along with your pregnancy.

THINAGAIN...I like your tip about turning to the board. I often wonder how long I would have stayed on this if there was no SB board!

JOY..how's your wrist? Better I hope! Are you sure you didn't lose the feeling in your fingers from too much clicking on the keyboard??? Just kidding.

COUNTRY...I wonder the same thing about those darn Girl Scouts!! Luckily it has passed around here. Cookies will be my downfall, I know it.

RHROO...sounds like you are getting in lots of exercise. You go girl!!!

BUNNY LOVER... I am with you about "plugging away". I haven't eaten anything illegal but I'm right behind you in wanting to eat something, anything!! that is a NO NO! Stay strong!!

LAMAP...100 miles is awesome!! You are an inspiration. Walking is sooo good for you.

beachfan37...Hope you start feeling better soon. You must see an awful lot of heartache working for the Red Cross. That can wear you down. I know it has its own rewards

Kim....wonderful wonderful words for Motivational Monday. I need to print that out. Thanks for sharing.

Everyone else...enjoy your evening!! I'll be back later. I'm getting a sore throat!!! EEEK! Better not be getting sick!!!!!

Ashley

------------------
Poconos, PA
Fitday Journal
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=overcome
Closed Thread