Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: If I showed up at your home unexpectedly, what would I think of your domestic skills?
I have OCD when it comes to cleaning! My house is ALWAYS immaculate, 24/7! 0 0%
I would win the GOOD HOUSEKEEPING award. My home would pass the white glove test. 2 4.35%
Clean, but cluttered 9 19.57%
It has that LIVED IN LOOK! 11 23.91%
Looks clean (what you don't see won't hurt you-just don't open shut doors!) 14 30.43%
EEEEEEEKKKKKKK!!!!!! 5 10.87%
In one word - SLOB!!! 3 6.52%
I wouldn't/couldn't open the door, I'd pretend to not be home! 1 2.17%
My house should be condemned! 1 2.17%
Not sure, it may be the maids day off. 3 6.52%
Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 08:39 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Happy WIW!

Hope the scale is good to everyone today.I am happy to report that I am back to my all time low of 163. That's 2 lbs gone this week. I haven't seen that number since the first of Dec. Hopefully, I won't see if for very long. Next week I want a new all time low #.

Gator and Serene, it was nice "chatting" with you last night. I really enjoy going to chat and getting to know more about people. Hopefully we can start back again and get more of a crowd.

Toni, We are expecting 3-6" tomorrow. SO you might get it today.

Yellowrose, thanks for the tidbits of the weekend. It is nice to get more info on everybody.

Nomoresugar, Boy I would be feeling pretty good if I could sleep to 9 every day. Think my boss would mind if I come in around 10?

Miata, I think we have all joined some type of gym or health club and ended up not going. I have. Such good intentions at first, but I agree with you, just too many hours spent there.

Gracious, keep hanging in there and those pounds will come off. They never come off fast enough for us. I bet your quilt is lovely.

Zanne, WTG on losing those pounds. I knew you could do it. Now just keep on going down. Stress is a funny thing. Surprising how much it can affect someone in different ways.

Linworthlady, if you are eating right and exercising, it will come off. It may take your body ahwile to fugure it out and adjust. Hang in there. I would imagine you are getting bored if you used to do all that. I'm sure you will find something soon.

Have a great day.

Jackie
257/163 /145
10-10-01
Old 01-15-2003, 09:20 AM   #77  

Default Another Newbie Question

HI
How is Chinese food on SB? Is it to be completely avoided or is there a good way to order it or something on the menu that is better to order? thank you!
Old 01-15-2003, 09:39 AM   #78  

NEWPORT: Most Chinese restaurants use MSG, which can cause water retention, and headaches in those susceptible. They also use sugar, and cornstarch to thicken those sauces. A few things that usually work ok are Egg Foo Yung, ask them to serve the gravy on the side, or not bring it at all. A bit of soy sauce on it is pretty good. If you order a stir fry, ask what kind of sauce it has on it. Moo Goo Gai Pan has a all legal veggies, except the occasional baby corn, but the sauce is thickened with cornstarch. If you avoid the sauce, you can probably do ok, or close to legal. Stay away from any fried things, like egg rolls, won tons, and battered meats in stir frys like lemon chicken, General Cho's chicken, etc. Of course, sweet and sours are out. They use a ton of sugar and pineapple juice in the sweet and sour sauce. Each restaurant fixes wings differently, but I have found some that just fry them without batter. I get a wing, instead of an egg roll, and order a soup that is not thickened. Egg Drop is, so is Hot and Sour. If they offer a spinach, or vegetable soup, they are probably ok. In a pinch, egg drop will be close to legal. Of course pass on the white rice. Some restaurants offer appetizers like ribs, but they are usually done in a sweet bbq sauce, so ask before you get them. Something like Mongolian beef is good. That is served on mung bean threads, which are ok. You can ask if they will steam your food without sauce. Some places are pretty nice about that. Hope this helps!
Old 01-15-2003, 10:20 AM   #79  

Mornin' y'all. Well, finally a good WIW for me. I'm down 3 lbs from last week. Excuse me while I pat myself on the back. I haven't had time to catch up on all the posts. I'll try to get back on later. This week has been busy. Our elem. school has been competeing in UIL events and I coach the music team. Competition was yesterday so things should slow down a little now.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:26 AM   #80  

Monet, thanks for the info on the Chinese food. I would most likely do a stir fry and you said to ask what kind of sauces are on it. Not to be a pessimist, but I doubt I will get an answer from the waiter on whether or not there is cornstarch in it, so what are good sauces? Black bean?
I think the place we go to does not use any MSG so that is good! thanks again
Old 01-15-2003, 10:42 AM   #81  

Good morning everyone. Well I weighed this morning and stayed the same. I'm happy with that as I've been bloated all week. My used to be time for TOM. So I'm sure next week will be better...

Nomoresugar- Yep your weather would be like spring here in Missouri. Lucky you.

miata- The swimming training sounds really hard. But it would sure get you in shape...

gracious- Oh you quilt.. How wonderful... I'm trying a little of it and just don't seem to have the stuff it takes. I think it will take all year to do a couch blanket. But its going to be someones Christmas gift next year. So guess I don't have to hurry.

Zanne- Congradulations on your loss. We weigh the same now..

linworthlady- Don't be depressed all this could be is water weight and next week you'll do good. I've been bloated like a fat frog all week and everytime I stepped on the scale I'd have gained a few more lbs. I ended up losing nothing and being OP all week and walked on my treadmill too. So just hang in there gal. Please don't get down about it..

Jack-K- Oh my gosh you did great this week. All that exerciseing is paying off and also those good meals you're cooking. I'm so excited for you. They're still saying Thursday for our storm. But just in case think I'll go today and get some groceries. I have an appointment with my heart doctor Thurs. and its about an hour or so from here. Hope it doesn't cause me to cancell.

Newportgirl- I've found I can't find nothing legal with Chinese food unless I make it myself. And I love it...

music Teach- Wa hooo on 3 big lbs. Good going....

Seems like I'm missing a page will have to post this and then go see. Have a great day and congrads to everyone. Just being here sometimes should get us a pat on the back..

213/166/130
Old 01-15-2003, 10:54 AM   #82  

Hello...this is my day off so i will have to be careful, this is where I usually blow it..too much time near the kitchen, thank goodness I have gotten rid of stuff, and am planning on cleaning up kitchen heavy duty, I can' believe I haven't had any fast food since the end of Dec..That is unbelievable for me..I was a junk food junky. I loved it..But now...I cook.

Music!!! 3 lbs...gone, that is so grreat!!!! You get a diamon tiara to wear!!!

Gracious: So what kinds of quilt are you doing??? I just realized I have way too many tops done and not enough sandwhiched. I have to remember that a quilt is not actually done till the quilt is quilted, binded, and labeled..!!! I have a goal this year, to finnish more quilts than I start.

Zanne: way to go. How is the ice skating rink ??? are you skating yet?? how big is it???

Lin: 80.. that sounds good. I bet you really enjoy it. I love taking my dogs to the beach and running around..We live about 2 hours from the ocean and it is not a straight shot..bummer

Better get into my quilt room and quilt while dh is sleeping.. My favorite time to quilt is in the morning with a hot cup of coffee. Only do it on my day off, so it is a treat..

Everyone please have a great day..

Kathy
Old 01-15-2003, 11:01 AM   #83  
Goddess

Thumbs down WIW

It is official--a 4 lb loss for the week. Yippeeee!!!! I bounced up just a tad this morning, but I think that is from eating dinner at 8:30 pm last night. I had a meeting that ran late so we went to Ruby Tuesdays afterwards. I had the salad bar, but I was staving so it was a "mile high" salad. I think there is something to eating early. If I eat by 7:00 then my body goes 12 hours without food and that, I think, is when it must be forced to burn some body fat to have fuel!

This morning I had 1/2 of those wonderful Texas grapefruit. Then a slice of my homemade WW bread with PB. I found a better bread recipe that makes a lighter loaf. I'll try to remember to post it on the recipe board in the next day or so.

Toni--Goodmorning to you! Doesn't TOM s**K? You always have to prepare your self for a gain or stall every three weeks. HATE IT!

Newport--the last time I went to a Chinease restaurant all I could taste was sugar in the sauces. I couldn't find a single one that didn't taste sweet. My favorite Chinese restaurant in town keeps two pots of egg drop soup. one for the buffet that has been thickened. But if you order from the menu, you get a wonderful clear soup with shrimp and some other veggies. Very tasty and very legal!

Music--WTG on the loss!

Monet--you have inspried me to make egg drop soup for lunch today! I have a good recipe that is entirely legal. It is cold and soup will hit the spot at lunchtime!

Jackie--Congrats on getting back to your low! You go girl!

Linworth--I've never seen she-crab soup with rice in it? The newspaper in Wilmington did a story several years ago about places that served SB legal foods. The she-crab soup was one of the items featured. It certainly would be a disaster on a low fat diet, but according to the recipe this was entirely SB legal!

Zanne--Congrats--not only on getting back to w/in one lb of your low, but learning something very important about yourself!

Gracious--are you hand or machine quilting? I've always wanted to learn to quilt, but don't need anythign else to take over my life at this point.

Miata--Know what you mean about the time at the gym. I have been making myself get in and out this week. otherwise I won't make the time commitment to go!

Deb--Well ok, I guess you can have the extension--but no more than one day!

Yellow--I qualify for the "sag wagon" on a lot of levels! Hey I got up to 1 1/4 mile at the gym yesterday--only 12 and 1/4 to go!!!!

Ok gotta get to work now. If I missed you, I'm sorry. I hope everyone is a loser today!

Susan
Old 01-15-2003, 11:05 AM   #84  
Goddess

Miata--We must have been posting at the same time. Have fun with the quilting!

Susan
Old 01-15-2003, 11:10 AM   #85  

Default WIW

Country – Warm soup sounds so good right now! It is actually cold here in Florida as well – 36 this morning on the way to work! Winter is definitely here! Actually I am thinking of getting a roast and cooking it all day with some vegetables (no root veggies, just tomatoes, onion, peppers).

Fillise – Yummy, Salmon, and sounds delicious – I guess you could say I am a bit hungry this morning, but won’t have a chance to get out to have a bite until after 12. CONGRATS on your loss! Tonight I am going to have the leftover roasted chicken, but with broccoli.

Toni – Stay warm!!!! I was tempted to have a fire last night as well, but was too tired to deal with it…if the weather continues to cold this weekend, definitely going to camp out in the den with a fire going…so cozy. Way to go on the treadmill and laundry, well the latter is still such a “chore” for me…don’t like laundry, hehehe…

MaeMae – Have a good start back on program!!! You are not alone!

JackK – I will be cheering you on to lose the weight !! You have done so well, I guess any last few pounds will be tough ones, but you can do it!!! I have lost another pound, so I am sure that within the next month or so I should be back to where I was in October when I was leaving for vacation. Stylish boots, wow, that is great!!! I am wearing Eccos because they are so cushioned – orthopedic styled shoes…will be nice when I can put on some cool fancy shoes and not have sore feet for weeks after! hahaha

VR – the hot cocoa sounds delicious!!!!!

LinWorth – Charleston is one of my favorite places to go for a nice long weekend…of course, there are so many fun places to go to eat, eat and more eat – hahahaha – I missed where you are originally from – you mentioned being homesick.

Yellow Rose – I have to say it was absolutely wonderful getting the chance to meet you and the other ladies! I cannot see any picture of you being “not good” – you are absolutely gorgeous, inside and out! I am glad you had a wonderful time in Florida!

No More Sugar – what a cute name! Here in N. Florida is the same – guess everyone from up North has brought the cold with them on their way to their winter homes! Hahahaha….

Miata – Where is Ukiah? I am tempted to check out Curves myself, though I belong to a club where my son can go too – so I worry about the extra expense of Curves and the club…but I might just check it out since you and some others are impressed with it…..

Gracious! Hi there – sorry to hear about the computer – hope it gets better!!! I am right there with you trying to get off those holiday pounds! But it feels good seeing them go….hang in there!

Zanne – CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Funny how stress affects us!

Music Teach – WTG!!!!! Sending pats on the back!

Monet – hope you are feeling better these days!!! I am eager too, to make egg drop soup – I love that stuff – especially when not feeling well!

Well I have to get going because I need to get busy with work….hello to those I have missed – and congratulations to all the Losers !!!!!

Sabrina
272/267.5/157
Uggghhhh – so sad to see the weight had climbed back on so fast!
SD: April 2002
Old 01-15-2003, 11:21 AM   #86  
Maemae77536

Good morning all..........I am pleased to announce that I started my day off on the right foot..........DS and DD and I had a glass of juice first thing and while I could sneak into the kitchen I made my self a legal PBJ sandwich on legal bread and ate that on the way to work.........I also brought legal yougurt and string cheese...I bought a box of triscuits and have the close to me at all times.....

I do have a question about my yougrt though.......It is BlueBunny brand but it is strawberry/banana........Do you think it is still legal? I just figured they used banana flavoring, but who am I to know.....Maybe ya'll will.

Also read somewhere that Carrots are now legal if eaten raw...Anyone know about that?

It is soooooooo hard for me to address all of ya'll but I just want to tell you all that your comments and blessings are very much appreciated.....Im going thru a rough time right now with my divorce and really dont have anyone to "Vent" with (good or bad).... I want this sooooooooooo bad so that when I look in the mirror I dont see all the bad things my ex has said about me....I want to prove to everyone that I can do it......

Ya'll have a wonderful day.....
Old 01-15-2003, 11:46 AM   #87  

Good morning everyone!!!

First of all, I have to tell everyone that I met in Orlando, what a wonderful time I had. A special thanks to Deb and Solshine for opening up their homes to us (and to their darling spouses for putting up with our craziness). For the those of you that couldn't make it, please know that you were in our thoughts while we were there. I know this has been said before, but I'll have to repeat it, if you ever get the opportunity to meet one of the folks on this board, go for it!!! I can't wait to see everyone again.

Now for the bad news, there was way too much food and the DD mistress did not do a very good job of keeping us in line. I'm up a pound today. However, I am firmly back on track as I sit here drinking my water and looking forward to my soup and salad for lunch.

I am way too behind to try to post to everyone individually and these silly people at my office expect me to get some work done. Pretty selfish if you ask me.

I'll try to get more posted later.

Have a great day, everyone.

Trish
Old 01-15-2003, 11:55 AM   #88  
Goddess

Maemae--I buy any brand of the Blue Bunny yogurt. Strawberry-bananna is one of my favorite flavors. I have added bananas and carrots both back to my diet. The GI for bananas is 52 and the GL is 12 both are in the low-moderate range. The greener they are they lower the sugar. Carrots have a high GI but because they are mostly water the GL is a very low 3. So enjoy your raw carrots. Again, if they are cooked the sugars break down more quickly and rise the blood glucose more. But they are probably still ok in moderation.

Susan
Old 01-15-2003, 12:34 PM   #89  

Height: 5' 7"

Default WIW

Good morning all! I'm happy to report a 3 pound loss..back down to 153 It's been a long time since I had two lossing weeks in a row. Too bad I had to put pounds on again first....but happy they are OFF.

Sabrina..I'm starving this morning too. I think it's the cooler weather. We are using calories shivering... You'll get those pounds back off in no time.

Jack-K...WTG you skinny thing! Are you cutting way down on your starchy carbs or just eating normal? I've cut way back and know I can't keep this up for very long and be healthy. I'm leary of adding the breads back in too soon.

WTG Music!! How about this weather? I can't believe we went from shorts to freezing so fast. Our next front is due tommorrow and it's suppose to be a doozey...I'm cold just thinking about it.

Trish...I can't believe they expect you to work when you have so much to do online... That pound is probably just water and will be gone way before WIW next week.

MaeMae...hang in there. You are doing so good. Divorce is yucky and mean ex's far to common. You are committed and will be successful. He'll have to eat his words.

Hey Susan....4 pounds is da bomb! WTG.

Miata...you are doing so good staying away from the fast food...it's hard when you love it and it's EVERY where these days. You ought to be proud of yourself.

Toni...staying the same is good too woman. Next week you'll probably have a bigger loss.

Off to eat before I starve...okay I won't starve but tell my tummy that.

Love,
Crystle

235/153/140-135

SB since March 2001
Old 01-15-2003, 01:12 PM   #90  

Default Hello

Hi Again, just got back from lunch - went to The Loop and had a Greek Salad - it was huge! Now I am drinking a Skinny Cafe Latte from Starbucks, courtesy Deb/Eli (THANK YOU!!), and back at the office - it is gorgeous outside - on the nippy side in the shade, warm in the sun!

Mae Mae - Great that you have this board to keep up with - will help you keep your mind off the divorce problems, help you feel you belong to a safe haven...!!! Blue Bunny is my favorite too - the fat free/no sugar added ice cream is what I love!!!

Trish - Glad you made it home okay and had a good time in Orlando/Miami! Sorry about the pound, just a bit of water from the car ride and plane ride and will be off tomorrow

Country - I need to shiver more if it burns calories CONGRATS on the loss - that is terrific!!!!!

Take care everyone!
Sabrina
Closed Thread