Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 02:07 PM   #1  

Default I just don't get it (yet)

Sorry about being so dense, but there's no way to avoid natural sugars. So, what is the basic idea? Not to have added sugars?

What is the deal with flour? ( I have the book but haven't gotten thru it yet, but I do find it confusing because there are no guidelines.) thanks!
Old 01-10-2003, 08:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Newport Girl, There is no way to avoid natural sugars. You want to watch out for added sugars. We follow the 3 gram rule.

WW stone ground bread is what you want to look for. Some make their own. WW pastas, breads, brown rice, etc. give you more figer and nutrients. Do not eat anything enriched.
Dairy and fruit and tomatoe products have natural sugar which is ok, just watch out for added sugars. Read labels carefully.

Please join us on the weekly support boards. You can get more information and ask all your questions. And it is a great bunch of people.

Jackie
Old 01-10-2003, 01:40 PM   #3  

Thank you for your help. I guess I find the diet too vague and too hard to follow. I don't have time to make my own bread! I can barely plan my meals and get to the grocery store.

But... I do like the concept alot so I am going to just use the legal substitutes for bread, pasta, rice. And avoid corn, added sugar, ( I still don't know if flour is good or bad. Just enriched flour is bad? ), cakes, cookies, pastries, bagles, muffins, raisins ( not entirely), pineapple, watermelon ( not entirely).

I am not giving up carrots but won't over due it!
Thanks again
Old 01-10-2003, 09:08 PM   #4  

newportgirl.......
you don't need to give up carrots! they are now allowed!
here's a few of links that will explain more about Sugar Busters.

http://groups.msn.com/SugarBustersRe...icconcept.msnw

http://groups.msn.com/SugarBustersRe.../sbpantry.msnw

http://www.prettyimpressivestuff.com/sugarbusters/
Old 01-11-2003, 07:31 AM   #5  

I have found a SB Super Market Guide with a lists of foods to buy and not to buy in the grocery store. It's just a little booklet that I found in a book store and even a drug store might carry it in their diet section. It has helped me.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:22 PM   #6  

What's the name of the book?
Old 01-12-2003, 12:43 AM   #7  

I felt the same way -- IMHO the book is confusing as it the essential information is spread out all over. However, when on the Sugar Busters website today, I followed the link to the SB boards at http://www.sweettalkplus.com/cgi-bin/jboard/jboard.pl and clicked on "The newbie tips are now available on the web. " From there you join an group and will recieve by email a document that explains SB very logically. It even gives examples of store brands for breads, cereals, and crackers that are good for the program. It is very helpful. I printed it out so my husband could understand the program without wading through the book. Also, my brother who has been doing SB for quite some time said it is a very good summary.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:54 AM   #8  

adams,
The booklet is called, Sugar Busters! Shoppers guide. It's small, about 4x5".
Old 01-12-2003, 04:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Newport girl,

Th idea is to avoid sugr, natural sugars are ok. It's the added sugars yu need to watch. No more than 3 grams. WW stone ground flour is all that is accepted.

You don't have to make your own bread, Pepperidge Farm makes a good 100T% ww bread. I buy grant's fram 100% ww bread.

Go to sugarbuster.com and they have newbie tips which are great to follow. If yo can't find them I wil be glad to email them to you.

If you need any more help, please feel free to ask.

Join us at the weekly support boards

Jackie
Old 01-12-2003, 04:21 PM   #10  

aleka- Thanks I just ordered that book and the sugar busters for kids book.

Tautotes- Thanks for the link just got a copy of that file it is a nice summary.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:46 AM   #11  

Tautotes,
Thank you for posting that site. I went into it and got the newbie tips. They were very helpful. Thanks again.
Closed Thread