Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2000, 07:17 PM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

This is the new SB JULY RECIPE BOARD.

If you would like to see the 1st board, MAY/JUNE 2000, you can find it at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//Forum55/HTML/000007.html

[This message has been edited by Debelli (edited 07-29-2000).]
Old 07-06-2000, 09:13 PM   #2  

SB CHICKEN CURRY

4 Slices of Bacon
1/4 c. Diced Celery
1/4 c. Diced Onion
1 Clove Garlic
2 T. Whole Wheat Flour
1 c. Milk
1 c. Broth
1/2 c. Sugarfree Applesauce
3 T. Sugarfree Tomatoe Paste
3 t. Curry Powder
3 c. Cooked, Diced Chicken

1. Crisp fry bacon, drain and crumble.
2. Saute celery, onion and crushed garlic in 1 T. of bacon drippings.
3. Add flour, milk, broth, applesauce tomatoe paste and curry.
4. Cook until thick.
5. Add chicken and bacon and heat.
6. Serve over brown rice.
Old 07-06-2000, 09:52 PM   #3  

I will list the recipe as it shows in the book, followed by some personal notations on this recipe

SUNFLOWER CRUNCHIES

1 3/4Cups rolled oats (this is 1+3/4C)
3 Tbl. sunflower seeds, roasted
1/4 honey
1/2c sunflower oil
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbl. sesame seeds

1. Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix together thoroughly.
2. Place teaspoonfuls of the mixture well apart on a baking sheet and flatten with a dampened palette knife.
3. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, until golden brown.
4. Leave to cool fro 2 minutes, then transger to a rack to cool completely.

Makes about 20, freezer storage is recommended.

PERSONAL NOTESL: I acutally made these, and really liked them. If you are looking for a sweet cookie, this isn't it. It's very lightly sweetened. Eli didn't like them because his idea of sweet is putting sugar in milk, syrup in rice pudding - so you see, his idea and mine are totally different!

What I did was substitute the honey for AGAVE NECTAR. I used a little less than the 1/4c the first time, but will use the full 1/4 cup next time. Also, I thought there was a bit too much oil when I made these, and thought about trying to put in a beaten egg white with maybe some less oil next time, but once made, you really don't notice the oil. Personally, I would let the ingredients sit for a few minutes to absorb some of the moisture next time. I used parchment paper on my baking sheets and noticed they seemed to be done before the recommended 15min, so you may want to keep an eye out on these around 13 minutes or so. I used a cookie scooper (small ice cream scoop) to measure out the 20 crunchies these made. I used raw sunflower seeds and tosted them myself in a pan on the stove. Definitely keep in the freezer, they keep nice and crunchy in there.
Old 07-07-2000, 05:53 AM   #4  

Summer Squash or Zuchinni

2-3 zuchinni/squash
1 tbls. low fat margarine
1 vidalia or texas sweet onion
1 tbls. water
salt and pepper 1 tsp each

Place margrine and water in a sauce pan. Melt on low heat. Cut up onion and saute in water with salt and pepper. Cut up squash or zuchinni and add to mixture. Simmer on low heat until squash/zuchinni can be pierced easily with a fork (usually about 15 minutes). If your southern you will probably want to cook this a little longer (my grandmother always cooked all the nutrients out of vegetables by cooking them a long time). I stir almost constantly. To make it even better crumble some bacon in after it is done. The sweet onion really makes this tast yummy.
Old 07-07-2000, 08:07 AM   #5  

Fake Potatoes

Cook 2 1/2 cups cauliflower until tender but firm
Chop into pieces (hash brown size)
Mix 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese,onions to tase, salt and pepper
stir in cauliflower
bake @ 350, 20 min
Crumble 3 slices cooked bacon on top (if Wish)
Old 07-08-2000, 08:26 AM   #6  
AMR

CHUNKY VEGETABLE DIP

1 cup sour cream (can use the light stuff)
1/2 cup finely chopped cucumbers
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup finely chopped radishes
1 to 2 T. cider vinegar
1-1/2 tsp. prepared horseradish
3/4 tsp. salt

In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; mix well. Cover and refrigerate. Serve with cut up veggies.

I got this recipe out of Quick Cooking magazine. I made it and it's pretty good. You could add some artificial sweetener if you wanted. I think it definitely needs something else added to it, but I haven't experimented with it yet. It can also be used as a dressing. I'm also going to add another recipe below for a different dressing that is made with a batch of mixed spices. I think you could replace the horseradish in this recipe with the mix of spices in the ranch recipe, but I'm not chef, so don't take my word for it.

RANCH DRESSING AND DIP MIX

2 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. dried minced onion
1 Tbs. dried parsley
2-1/2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. sugar (or substitute)
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
1-1/2 tsp. garlic powder
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR DRESSING:
1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. buttermilk
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR DIP:
1 c. sour cream

In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to a year.

The recipe in the magazine says to add 1 Tbs. of this mix to either the mayo/buttermilk or the sour cream. I added a little more when I made the dressing. It was pretty good, a little runnier than I like. Also, this tasted better if you use "fresh" spices. Some of mine had been around a while....

[This message has been edited by AMR (edited 07-07-2000).]
Old 07-08-2000, 08:42 AM   #7  
AMR

CREAMY COLESLAW

1 pkg. (16 oz.) coleslaw mix
3/4 c. mayo
1/3 c. sour cream
1/4-or less- sugar (or substitute)
3/4 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/4 tsp. celery salt

Place coleslaw mix in a lg. bowl. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir until blended. Pour over mix and toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.

CROCK POT BEEF STROGANOFF

2 tsp. beef bouillon granules
1 c. boiling water
1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
2 jars sliced mushrooms, drained
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 to 2 pounds boneless round steak, trimmed and cut into thin strips
2 T. vegetable oil
8 oz. cream cheese, cubed
Hot cooked WW noodles or brown rice

In a slow cooker, dissolve bouillon in water. Add soup, mushrooms, onion, garlic and Worcestershire sauce. In a skillet, brown beef in oil. Transfer to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in cream cheese until smooth.

I must admit I haven't tried this yet. And I know the mushroom soup is kind of a no-no. I do have the ingredients to try it and I plan to make it soon.

ORANGE VEGETABLE KABOBS

1 lg. sweet onion
1 lg. unpeeled navel orange
1 med. sweet red pepper, cut into 1 in. chunks
1 med. sweet yellow pepper, in 1 in. chunks
8 medium fresh mushrooms
8 cherry tomatoes
2 small yellow summer squash, cut in slices
MARINADE:
1/2 c. olive oil
1/3 c. lemon juice
1-1/2 tsp. sugar (or substitute)
1 tsp. salt, optional
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 T. orange juice

Cut the onion and orange into eight wedges; halve each wedge. Alternately thread veggies and orange pieces onto eight metal or soaked wooden skewers. Place in a shallow oblong dish. In a bowl, whisk togeter the oil, lemon juice, sugar sub., salt, garlic powder and pepper. Pour over skewers. Marinate for 15 min. or so, turning and basting frequently.Grill, covered, for 10-15 minutes. Brush with orange juice just before serving.

I've made these and really liked them. I think you could also leave out the oranges if you wanted and use Italian salad dressing as a marinade.

[This message has been edited by AMR (edited 07-07-2000).]
Old 07-14-2000, 12:17 AM   #8  

Cheese-Filled Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Breast

for each one - 1 boneless chicken breast
1 stick of mozzarella string cheese
2 pieces of bacon
salt & pepper

Place string cheese on chicken and roll up securing with toothpick. Wrap with 2 strips of bacon, and place in baking dish
Bake at 300 degrees for 45 min.
cheese will ooze slightly, and brown somewhat
Old 07-20-2000, 09:06 PM   #9  

I made these the other day, and I liked them, Mom thought they weren't bad either.

I will post the recipe as in the book, then follow with my notes:

OAT SHORTBREAD COOKIES

1 CUP OAT FLOUR
1/4 SLIVERED ALMONDS
1 TSP BAKING POWDER
DASH SALT
2TBL OIL
2TBL HONEY OR OTHER SWEETNER

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Mix oat flour, almonds, baking powder, and salt well in a medium mixing bowl. Mix oil and honey in a glass or plastic measuring cup. Heat 20 seconds in the microwave to soften the honey. Mix into the dry ingredients, adding a little water if necessary to make the dough stick together.

Drop by teaspoons on baking sheet and bake about 8 minutes.

Variation: Shape the cookies into a rectangle about 1/2" thick on a cookie sheet, and cut into 12 cookies. Cut again after baking to separate.

MY NOTES: Since we aren't suppose to use honey, I substituted this for AGAVE NECTAR. They were a tad sweet for me, so next time, I may go ahead and only use 1TBL agave and 1tbl milk. Using agave, you don't have to heat the oil and agave like you would if using honey, so you can eliminate this step. I would say my dash of salt may of been a tad too much, next time, I may put just a tiny tiny bit. I rolled mine, like Meixcan Wedding Cookies. I'd definitely make them again!

Haven't tried this one, but looks pretty good!

HONEY APPLE CAKE

2CUPS WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
2 TSP BAKING POWDER
2TSP GROUND MIXED SPICE
3TBL HONEY (USE AGAVE NECTAR)
1 1/3C DRIED COPPED DATES
2 EGGS
1/2CUP APPLE JUICE
1/2 CUP SUNFLOWER OIL
1 1/3 CUPS GRATED APPLE
2 TBL CHOPPED FILBERTS

1.Grease and line and 8" round deep cake pan.
2.Place the flour in a mixing bolw, then sift in the baking powder and spice. Make a well in the cneter and add the remaining ingreidients, except the filbers. Beat together vigorously until thoroughly mixed.
3.Turn into the prepared pan and spinkle with the nuts.
4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1-1 1/4 hours, until the cake springs back when pressed in the center. Turn onto a rack to cool.

Notes: Use dessert apples for natural sweetness, and grate apples with the skin on for extra fiber and texture.

WHOLE WHEAT CREPES

1 egg
1 1/4 CUPS MILK
1 CUP WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR

1.Place the egg and milk in a blender or food processor, add the flour and work for 30 seconds until smooth. Leave to stand for 30 minutes to thicken.
2.Grease a 6" omelet pan and place over a moderate heat. Pour in 1TBL of batter, tilting the pan to coat the bottom evenly.
3.Cook until underside is brown, then turn over and cook for 10 seconds.
4. Turn onto a plae and repeat with the remaining batter to make about 12 crepes. Stack them interleaved with waxed paper and keep warm.

NOTES: Can use BUCKWHEAT FLOUR instead of the WW. Haven't tried these yet either.

TOMATO AND EGGPLANT CREPES

1 LARGE EGGPLANT, DICED
1 TBL OLIVE OIL
1 CLOVE GARLIC, CRUSHED
14oz CAN CHOPPED TOMATOES
1TBL CHOPPED PARSLEY
12 WHOLE WHEAT CREPES (recipe above)
2TBL GRATED PARMESAN CHEESE
SALT & PEPPER TO TASTE

1. Plcae the eggplant in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 minutes. Rinse and dry with paper towels.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, add the eggplants and fry until golden, turning occasionally.
3. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute, then add the tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Divide the filling between the crepes, roll up and place in a lighly oiled, shallow overproof dish.
5. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes, until heated through. Serve with salad.

I made blueberry muffins this morning, they aren't bad, but I think the recipe could use a small overhaul before I post it. If anyone is really good at baking and would like to see if they can improve on it, e-mail me and I'll be happy to send you the recipe!!!
Old 07-21-2000, 02:15 AM   #10  
VR

This is from the Splenda website
http://www.sucralose.com/recipies

Swedish Nuts

1 egg white slightly beaten
2 cups pecan or walnut halves
1/3 cup Splenda Granular
2 tsp. ground cardamon or cinnamon

Heat oven to 300 F. Grease a jelly roll pan.

Mix egg white and nuts in medium bowl until
nuts are coated and sticky.

Mix Splenda and spice and sprinkle over nuts.
Stir until completely coated.

Spread nuts in single layer in pan.

Bake about 30 minutes or until toasted. Cool completely or serve slightly warm.

NOTE: I only had the Splenda packets, so I mixed 3 packets and the spice with the egg white. It probably could have used 1 or 2 more packets. I baked mine a little too long so keep an eye on them.

It's a sweet treat that stays well within "legal".

------------------
Veronica

[This message has been edited by VR (edited 07-20-2000).]
Old 07-24-2000, 06:45 AM   #11  

Just finished eating dinner - the chicken and cheese enchilada recipe I found in the SB Quick and Easy Cookbook. They were WONDERFUL - used up a lot of pots and pans (I had to cook the chicken too) - but worth it. Here is the recipe:

1 med yellow onion - minced
1 clove garlic - minced
1/4 cup canola oil (I used olive)
1 1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 t dried oregano
1 t salt
1 1/2 cup shredded cooked chicken ( I used two breast halves)
1/2 t garlic salt
1/2 t ground black pepper
8 whole wheat tortillas (I used 10)
1 4oz can whole green chiles, drained and cut into 1/4 inch strips
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 cup reduced fat sour cream (I used fat free)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the onion, garlic,and 1 T of oil in a 1-qt saucepan (I needed a 2 qt). Stir occasionally, cook over med heat until the onion turns translucent, about 3 min. Add tomato sauce, oregano,and salt. Reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered, for 15 mins.
Meanwhile, season the chicken with garlic salt and pepper and put it in a med nonstick skillet, along with the rest of the oil. Heat for about 10 min over med-low heat. Remove the meat to a bowl and warm the tortillas in the same pan for about 15 sec a side. Divide the chicken and the chile among the tortillas. Roll the torillas up and place them in a 9-by-13 inch baking pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Cover with the tomato sauce and the cheese. Cover and bake for about 15 min until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with sour cream.

Serves 4 (I made enough for 5 - lots of leftovers for me!)

Ricki
Old 07-27-2000, 11:07 PM   #12  

I actually made these, and liked them! This is from the book I mentioned that is up for grabs on Ebay until 7/28. I will post the recipe as in the book, then follow with my personal notations.

MANDELBROT

This Jewish specialty is a dry, lightly sweetened almond bread that falls somewhere between coffee cake and zwieback. A perfect dunker. (to me, it's much more like a biscotti!!!)

1 egg
1/4 cup honey
2TBL oil
1/8tsp salt
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4tsp almond extract
1 1/4cups WW flour
1 1/2tsp baking powder
1/3 cup coarsley chopped almonds

Preheat oven to 375F

Beat egg with honey until foamy. Beat in oil, salt, lemon juice, and almond extract. Add flour, baking powder and nuts, and mix well to form a stiff, evenly blended dough.

Pat into a loaf 3" wide, 8" long and 1" thick on an oiled, floured baking sheet.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until lightly browned. Cool slightly and, while still warm, slice into bars 1/2" wide.

Makes one 8" loaf, 16 slices

NOTATIONS: Here is how I adapted this recipe. I originally used a little less than 1/4c of AGAVE NECTAR in place of honey, but next time, will use the entire 1/4c (probably used 1tbl less originally) to give it a little more sweetness. I made my loaf quite a bit wider, about 6" wide at the widest, and tapred towards the end. Still was about 8 inches long though. I don't remember how many I ended up getting, but there isn't many left. I lowered the oven to 360F instead of the 375 (agave suggests a slighly lower over, 25 degree less, so I comprimised). Also, I baked them for 20 minutes, waited a minute or two, cut them, turned them on their side and put back in the over for 2:30 minutes and then did the same for the other side (cute sides). I have them in a plastic container. They are getting a little less "crispy" so would suggest putting in freezer, or crisping for a second in the oven. I like them a lot!!

Here is an interesting recipe, same book, but I haven't tried it yet:

GREEN RICE WITH STUFFED CHILIS
2TBL oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 1/2cups uncooked brown rice
1/4c minced parsley
3 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp salt
6 canned whole green chilies (8 ounces)
4 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into sticks

Heat oil in a 3qt pot and saute onion, garlic and rice, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Add parsley, milk, and salt, bring just to a boil, cover, and cook over low heat until rice is tender, 45-60 minutes. This can be done any time in advance of the meal.

Stuff chilies with cheese, trying not to damage them. Set into rice, and if you have made a tear or slit in the ppers,pleace them facing up so cheese doesn't seep out.

Set over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes to melt cheese.
Old 10-17-2000, 09:58 PM   #13  

Just moving this back up to the top!
Old 11-10-2000, 11:36 PM   #14  

Moving this up again!
Old 02-07-2001, 10:22 PM   #15  

Bumping this up again!
Closed Thread