3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Sugar Shakers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sugar-shakers-62/)
-   -   Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 1/6-1/12 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sugar-shakers/23427-sugar-busters-weekly-support-board-1-6-1-12-a.html)

heartmom 01-06-2003 04:38 PM

Nope didn't work

DEB- if I sent it to you- could you be able to post it?

Solly 01-06-2003 04:45 PM

Good afternoon gang!

Day 1 is almost under our belt. I have a pot of veg soup in the crock pot. Hope it turns out. I know of 2 kids that will be turning up their noses. DH will eat anything and I'm not much on homemade veg soup. Give me a can of Campbell's any day. I'm not much of a cook when it comes to soup. Oh well. It will be dinner.

Hope to get my walk in tonite. It was sleeting here earlier. Maybe I will try the walk off the pounds tape in stead. Will definately get my workout in though.

Fillise, Very interesting article. Seems like more and more people are coming around to our way of thinking. You had to remind me that Derby is only 4 months away. :yikes: much to do before then. Get to the gym.

Bob, as always, you make me laugh.

Tranquil, Girl do you need a exorcism? You need something. Hope you feel better by Friday. Those pounds will be gone before you know it.

Toni, With being so good I'm sure that scale will be kind to you come WIW. SS diet has too much thinking involved with combining those foods. SB is much easier. But everybody is starting to think our way.

Gator, your walking plan is great, but sometimes not just possible. Be happy with getting to walk just once a day if it comes to that. That is much better than nothing. Take one day for rest too. Fuuny that you forgotyour salad. Oh well, now you have something for supper. Good luck to your DD on quitting smoking. I have several friends who I wish would quit also.

Miata, Jiff makes a peanut butter low in sugar called Simply Jiff. It has 2 or 3 grams of sugar which is legal. It doesn't have all that oil that the natural ones do. Plus you can ususally find it at the regular store.

Yellow, GLad those margarita pounds are gone. It is hard to resist them. But I'm trying.

Deb, I know you will be back on track tomorrow. Heck you have to get back on track before all the girls get there. We can't have you corrupting everyone. It is quite understandable from what you are going through. Eating is not a top priority. I hope things with you aunt finalize soon so you can enjoy your trip with the girls.

Mom2March, Good for you. You jumped right back on track. That is wonderful. I'm like you, my cheats would last for days, weeks, months, a year. That is the hardest part.

MaeMae, Welcome to our board. We have a great group of gals & 1 guy. You will get all kinds of support and help here. Good luck.

LKF, So good to hear from you. I have missed your upbeat posts. Great job on losing the 43 lbs. You are doing awesome. Keep up the good work and get back as much as you can.

Country, good for you doing fitday everyday. I just can't seem to find the time to do it.

Sef, MLK is the 20th. The schools and gov is closed, but not our office. Not too many businesses are. Glad your clothes are getting loser. Thanks for the MM. Sometimes our minds and hearts need motivating too.

VR, try a cup of flavored tea after 7:30. That will fill in the gap. Try to find something to do, read, clean exercise, etc. That will take your mind off of it. The things you ate were at least good things. You are doing great.

Trish, Hi, Did you have to solve those computer problems. Wow!

Have a great OP night everyone. Talk to ya tomorrow.

Jackie
257/167/145
10-10-01

heartmom 01-06-2003 04:58 PM

The sweet potatoes didn't show on the scale(thank goodness). I'm at 215 this morning- just 3 more pounds to go!!!!!!!!! My personal motivation is realizing that I've gone to far(was 270) to put it back on. It's just not worth it. This may sound stupid, but earlier I was thinking about how it would feel to step on the scale one day and it said 199- I started to get teary-eyed. I know I have to do this- I will never be happy with myself until I do.

YellowRose 01-06-2003 05:14 PM

MaeMae: Welcome: Yeah, another Texan. What place in Houston is following the SB way of eating? My
daughter lives near Houston and I get down that way from time to time. It looks like you have a good start (if the
bun was WW) but I think you need to add some legal fruits and veggies to your plan like zucchini, cauliflower,
broccoli, etc. Anyone else have ideas?

LKF: WOW! 43 pounds since August. It does make me wonder how it could have been for me if I had been as
diligent as you have been these past months. I am glad the New Year has begun and can look forward to a brand
new start. I haven’t lost over this year but since I got busy after Christmas, I have stayed the same overall.

CountryM: Interesting, my journaling shows too little protein and too much fat. I bet it is still that cheese (50%
Cabot’s) and almonds. (I am weighing them out now and staying to 1 oz.)

Deb: Maybe we will put you into the Detox Dungeon when we get there. Between the three of us, I bet we can push
you in there. I know you are under a lot of stress just now but I hope we can help when we arrive.

Sef: I am happy to hear that your ear problem is better. Wednesday, I go to the doctor to see about my collar bone.
I thought I would go after I returned from Florida but it has been four weeks, so, I thought I would see what is
happening with it.

Heartmom: 199 is not that far away and we will all be cheering and doing the happy dance for you as you
progress.

My dryer is calling my name again. It is nice to be able to get some work done but keep caught up on the board
today.

THE BIG ORANGE BABE 01-06-2003 07:14 PM

EVENING EVERY BUDDY!!! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr FROM THE COLD WEST SIDE OF FLA!!!

Temp is supposed to hit 32 degrees tonight :eek: The heat is
going now and it's toasty. These "native Floridians" had on their wool today, and me without even a sweater!

MONET....KROGER will have tri-tip and if you don't see it, ask the butcher to cut you one. I've never fixed it, but I know a lot of people who do..
Sorry we won't get together this round, but I guess I'll just have to stop on my way up I-85 on one of my trips to Greenville.

{{{{{{{{{{WELCOME TO ALL WHO ARE NEW}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Y'all will like it around here...we're not your "usual" FORUM...we get into everything!

This is a quick one...I'm in the middle of something..I'll check in later.

BOB

Ellen 01-06-2003 08:17 PM

BOB: I will mosey into Kroger or Publix and ask the butcher there what it is. I asked my son in law, the chef, who fancies himself very knowledgable about beef and cuts of beef, and he figured it was what we call sirloin tip, tho he said there was two other places where three muscles come together, and perhaps that is what it was. From that he launched into trying to sell me on sharing some very reasonable prime beef he can get through work... yum!

VR 01-06-2003 08:56 PM

Hi Monet..

The Tri-Tip is a cut that a butcher in Santa Maria, CA came up with a long time ago. That's where I was born and raised. Home of the world famous "Santa Maria Style Bar-B-Ques".. It has slowly spread to other parts of the states but has always been a staple more on the Central Coast of Calif...
It will puff up when bar-b-qued (as a roast) and the juices stay nicely inside.. Slice and serve with salsa... wonderful on top! Normally you would have toasted garlic bread, beans and salad..

You can also buy or slice for tri-tip steaks. Prices vary... but it used to be very inexpensive. Costco has both the roasts and steaks...

My husband would be glad to cook one up for you.. Let me know if you find them there.

found this description in a reprint of a1994 article in a Santa Barbara newspaper .."Tri-Tip, the backbone of barbecue.. Sirloins used to be cut with the bone in, and the tri-tip - two per animal, nestled in the sirloin region of the hindquarters - was overlooked as a prized cut. When stores went to boxed beef, tri-tips, which officially go by the name of bottom sirloin, grew popular here, starting about 25 years ago."

This might help you find them!

lindarn 01-06-2003 09:12 PM

Hi everyone .....newbie here with a couple of dumb questions:

1) Is Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour the same as the Whole grain pastry flour??? I noticed that some recipes call for the SGWW and some call for the pastry flour...Can you sub one for the other? Does it matter?

2) In some recipes, honey was listed.....is this considered legal? Can we use it instead of the agave if we can't find it locally?

3) Is it ok to use splenda instead of the fructose or stevia?

4) Are all Kashi brand cereals legal? or just some of them?

5) Canned fruit legal? or too much added sugar?

I'm sure I'll think of some more later, but thanks in advance for your help....glad to be a part of this wonderful forum....

Lin....

Mom2Marsh 01-06-2003 10:10 PM

I'll do my best to answer from what I know. Just remember there is no such thing as a dumb question!

Others on here should be able to expound more: (answers in italics)

1) Is Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour the same as the Whole grain pastry flour??? I noticed that some recipes call for the SGWW and some call for the pastry flour...Can you sub one for the other? Does it matter?
Pastry flour is ground finer than sgww flour. Using sgww flour when pastry flour is called for can weigh down a recipie

2) In some recipes, honey was listed.....is this considered legal? Can we use it instead of the agave if we can't find it locally?
Honey is a no-no. Someone else maybe able to recommend another substitute, but as far as I know no honey or very small quantities of it.

3) Is it ok to use splenda instead of the fructose or stevia?
Gotta leave that to someone else. I do my best to avoid using these sweetners (in fact I don't think I even have any at home.

4) Are all Kashi brand cereals legal? or just some of them?
Only some Kashi cereals are legal. You have to check how any grams of sugar it contains. Also check the ingredients list. A lot of them are honey sweetened.

5) Canned fruit legal? or too much added sugar?
Canned fruit with pear juice concentrate is legal, but Lite syrup and heavy syrup aren't. Be careful though, I've found that the pear juice is very sweet and can trigger massive sweets cravings for me.

Hope that helps some. Need the others to fill in the holes, but it's a start.

--Kat

GatorGal 01-06-2003 10:40 PM

Yellowrose--I’m not sure about Sunday right now. Last year my DH and I drove out there to meet up with everyone and never could make contact. The cell phone thing got all mixed up so that didn’t work out. There was a HUGE mob of people there and we ended up just walking around for about 40 minutes in the pouring rain looking for the group, but we never found them. It was a wild goose chase for us and we could have done what we normally do on Sunday morning instead. I was feeling that it would have worked if I had stayed in the hotel and gone out with the group, but it was difficult otherwise. So, don’t know right now. Depends on the weather and how late we get back on Saturday night.

BOB--I'm shivering right along with you. Brrr. This weather is too cold for me. It will be in the 30's tomorrow morning and AI was hoping to get in a 1.5 mile walk before I left for work. Might have to find time before dinner to get in the exercise. Hopefully it will be warmer by then.

Gotta go. Have French to study, along with a few other things to do.

acw 01-07-2003 03:25 AM

Hi. would love to join in! I'm a new chick and only found out about sugarbusters here and have got hold of a copy from the library and am reading it with great determination in mind. I have pcos and after being told by my doctor to go the low gi way was pleased to have discovered sugarbusters.

At present I am trying to get to grips with the basics and struggling a little because I'm in New Zealand and trying to find the right products is proving a little difficult. Are there any other Kiwi's out there doing sugarbusters?

I come from a ww background and still think in terms of so many fruits, so many vege, protein etc. Can anyone give me a rough guide or comparison if there is any? I have a lot of weight to lose and am conscious that I need to eat enough to stop me being hungry and picking.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

Anna

miata1997 01-07-2003 04:04 AM

Hi Anna..I just started SB 4 days ago..I think you will like this way of eating..Just get off sugar and stop eating the stuff they say not to eat. You know, the corn, white flour, beets, white rice, etc. just don't eat any...You can worry bout amounts later, at least that is what they told me..and youk now what????? they were not lying..These sb's are nice people who give info with grace and love..i am really impressed.

I just wanted to tell you how wonderful I feel. I feel like I could move a mountain. I am not hungry, my mind is not thinking about food, and it has only been 4 days..count them ..4 days..!!! I am going to do something strange tomorrow though, It is something I never thought I would do. I have a freind who I see only occasionaly when she visits her sil who is my next door neigh...and everytime I see her I think to my self, this is a nice gal who I wish I could get to know better. I don't have that many good friends, it is kinda hard when you work the hours I do. I do have some quilting friends but they are not people who I hang out with (youknow like go to house, have coffee) maybe some day, but not how... I also work weekends and my dh likes me home with him when I have my days off, so that makes it hard too. Anyway to make a long story a little shorter, she invited me to go to Tops with her, and to start walking with her. I am going to go. She said she could use the company casue most of the people there are older, and I decided I would go..It will be a good place to weigh in...So I will tell you how it goes tomorrow.

VR.; Thanks for the info on the tri tip...I didn't know anything about it besides it is the best meat I have ever eaten.

Jack-k..I was wondering about the peanut butter thing..Have you ever seen the peanut butter machine that have that just grinds the peanuts kinda like a coffee bean ? You can see the whole peanuts, and you turn it on and peanut butter come out, There is no oil that collects on the top so do you think this ok??? There is not salt taste, no added sugar, just crushed peanuts...

Well I had better get to bed..

See ya

Kathy

sweetbeater 01-07-2003 08:58 AM

Okay you guys, I am frantically looking for the info that came with my scale cause I swear it MUST be off. It says I am down to 159 from my original 170 on the 26th of December. I think my scale went bonkers.

I am going to try those pancakes no matter how weird they sound.

Have a great day all. Did anyone reply as to how many frozen cherries I can eat?

Solly 01-07-2003 09:00 AM

Happy Tuesday Morning :wave:

Everyone must be sleeping in today.

Well my veggie soup turned out great. Everyone loved it (that's a first) and we ate every bite. I was hoping to have some left to bring for lunch today. Today I have beans soaking and will try bean soup for tomorrow nite's dinner. I really miss putting potatoes in it though. You can tell my cupboard is bare when I'm making soup twice a week. Tonite we are having bratwurst.

Got my 3 mile walk in last nite. You Florida gals are complaining of the cold there, it was 32 when we walked. I never warmed up. My face was frozen. Then we got our workout in after that.

Heartmom, You will see that 199 before you know it. Just keep that goal in mind the next time you are tempted to eat off plan. You have to decide what is more important. You can do it. I know you can.

Yellow you have done a good job your of losing wt. Look how far you have come. Now we just need to buckle down and get to that goal. We can do it. We just need to put our mind to it.

Lindarn, Welcome to our group. Ask any questions you may have. It looks like you got answers to your first ones. Look forward to getting to know you.

ACW, welcome aboard. SB is much better than ww. Here you onlyhave to count to 3 (3 starchy carbs that is). This board is you weekly meeting but you can "meet" all day everyday if you like. We post our weight on Wed (WIW). So you have everything you need. I have done ww many times, been at goal twice. Gained every bit back and more. Never learned to change my eating habits. With SB everything has changed. I am very conscience of what I eat now. Ask any questions, someone will be glad to help you.

Miata, I think joining TOPS is a great idea. And walking with a friend will make you do it more too. Good for you. You are really taking control. Fresh ground peanut butter should be fine too.

Got to get busy here. Check back later.

Jackie
257/167/145
10-10-01

Ellen 01-07-2003 09:52 AM

Well, the cellphone bill came yesterday. The sixteen year old is not speaking to me. She is not going to be speaking to anyone for a while on that cellphone. I am suspending the account. She went over $40 this month. That is a lot better than the $120 last month, but not good enough. I told her very gently that she needs to give the regular phone number to her friends. Every single one of them calls her on the cellphone first! She just doesn't get it. I told my husband, the cellphone I gave her was for MY convenience...not for her to talk on late at night so I wouldn't know, or for her to have all her friends call her on.
She doesn't have the money to pay the bill, so she forfeits the phone. She argued that she needed it to call home for a ride after school. I guess I will give her a $10 roll of quarters each month to call home with. If she spends them, she can walk! (yes, Monet is feeling mean this morning!)

Last night for dinner, I made a beef stir fry with lots of veggies and lots of ginger. I served it on a bed of cellophane noodles, that are very low GI, and it was really good. I used to thicken the sauce with cornstarch, but I have been removing the veggies and meat, leaving the broth, and then quickly reducing it, and pouring it over the dish. This seems to be working well, and then you don't need a thickener. Tonight, I am going to experiment with the French green lentils my hubby got for me. They are very tiny...more like seeds. Not sure what I will do with them, but I hope they are good!

MIATA: Fresh ground peanut butter is fine. So is the stuff you see in jars at the store called natural that has oil on the top. Peanuts are naturally oily, and that oil is only the separation. You stir it back in. The jar of natural peanut butter I get has only two ingredients...peanuts and salt. I know there are brands out there that have no sugar, but watch out for hydrogenated oils. That is what makes Jiff creamy, but it is as bad for you as sugar.

VR: Thanks for the description of the tri-tip. I will show that to Mr. Knowitall, the chef, and see what he says. (don't get me wrong..I love this guy! He just cracks me up because he HAS to act like he knows everything. I guess its a guy thing.)

ACW: Welcome! I am sure you can find everything you need down there! SB is really easy to follow. Stick with fresh fruits and veggies, and whole grains. Read the labels. Can you get triscuits? They are fine. If you can't find them, just use dried beans, lentils, and whole grains. The extra products are fun, but not necessary. You may want to read Michel Montignac's book, Eat Yourself Slim. He has a lot of good info and ideas in it. He is often called the father of SugarBusters.

LINDARN: Welcome! As someone said, the only dumb question is one that is not asked! ;) Let me add a bit. The difference between pastry flour and stone ground can also be the type of wheat used. Pastry flour is made from a soft wheat, and is not as strong in gluten. It works well for items that do not need the structure as much. Breads work best with the hard winter wheat, with a higher gluten content. Things like biscuits, and pie crusts do best with pastry flour. Make sure you read labels. Canned fruit is often in syrup and if sugar is an ingredient, you don't want it. It is probably better to stick with fresh fruits anyway. The vitamin and fiber content is better. They are also more satisfying. Honey is fructose, but something about it raises insulin levels more than pure fructose. Michel Montignac says in his book it is best to just break the sweet habit, and not feed it with artificial sweetners. There is some question on whether your brain decides to release insulin just from the taste of sweetness alone. I kind of wonder about that. I do much better without artificial sweetners. Less cravings, and I am beginning to suspect better weight loss.

SWEET: I sure hope your scale is fine! I can drop 10 pounds in a week if it is mostly water. I got my fingers crossed it is true!

JACK: I love soup! I think eating only chicken noodle soup (Campbells of course) for several days when I was sick with mono helped me to drop the 12 pounds I lost that weekend I was in the hospital...