Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: Thanksgiving is almost here, so how do you going to do with TG dinner?
I plan on staying 100% OP 7 21.21%
I plan to have one small indiscretion 4 12.12%
I plan on having a little of whatever I want 13 39.39%
I plan on throwing all caution to the wind, but get right back on track after 4 12.12%
I may turn TG into a 4-day Olympic eating event! 1 3.03%
Can you send me the wagon come Monday? No, not Friday, MONDAY! 0 0%
I may end up looking like a stuffed holiday turkey-HELP! 0 0%
I started my holiday eating when Halloween rolled around--HELP! 1 3.03%
Other (like Canadian) 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 09:46 AM   #61  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

QUICKIE...

Working on a post but have to run out with ELI for a while, so will have to finish it later, but will have the pecan pie as well as the pumpkin pie recipes in that post for those of you who've asked.

Later!!!

Deb
Old 11-27-2002, 09:59 AM   #62  

Good Morning everyone! I am back down the couple pounds I gained last week. I am sure it was due to MC(monthly cycle). Now if I could just get past that, and down a few more! Being a turtle loser is such a pain!

I had cheesecake with Polaner all fruit on top for breakfast. I have made cheesecake with splenda before, but this is the first time with the agave, and the flavor is so much better!

DEB: I got the bracelet. Now I have to pay the lady for all the stuff I got from her. She has some really nice stuff! I had one item I wanted that someone sniped on me in the last five seconds. When I emailed her about something else, I mentioned that, and she sent me a personal ebay offer for the same piece, at MY bid, not the winning bid. I thought that was nice of her. I can't wait to see if the stuff is as nice in person as it looks in her pictures! I did a good bit of my Christmas shopping from her.

JACK: As soon as I get my digital camera back from my daughter, I will try and get a picture of me and my haircut for you. I may have to wait until the blemish on the end of my nose goes away tho....

Well, I have lots to do today, and I want to accomplish it in the least stressful way possible. I am hoping I can convince my 16 year old that it would be loads of fun to make pies....

I'll be back later!
Old 11-27-2002, 10:55 AM   #63  

Default Hello!

I weighed in today at 164.4. I'll take it since it is still below my plateau of 165. I usually weigh in on Friday's, but I will be out of town.

Congratulations Jackie on your weight loss. You've lost so much weight that you are truly an inspiration to us all.

Tanquil: Hope you are feeling better soon. Sorry to hear you were over on the scale. Once you get back on track, you will see it plummet again.

Goodbye to everyone! I am going out of town and will not be near a computer till Monday. Hope everyone has a safe and meaningful Thanksgiving! I am planning on staying 100% legal.

Take care and talk to you all soon.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:47 AM   #64  

Height: 5' 7"

Default WIW

Weight is up...yuck. 156 Busy cooking for tomorrow. The dressing is done. Pecan pies are in the oven. Pumpkin and Turkey are next. That way tomorrow the green rice and mac and cheese can have the oven. Wishing everyone the best of Holidays.

Love,
Crystle
Old 11-27-2002, 11:51 AM   #65  
"I'm working on it!"

Thumbs up WIW

Morning All

Well, I don't like WIW's. I'm almost always UP! Today I'm at 170 from 166 yesterday! I'll have to go back and read the article I posted on why the scale lies! I know I ate a lot of salty stuff yesterday, so I'm drinking lots of water today. Plus TOM is due any minute

Just wanted to wish all my American friends

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

and those of you who celebrate

HAPPY CHANUKAH

My gosh, Chanukah starts Friday! Busy time!

I hope that anyone who is travelling, has a safe trip.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend and try to not overdo it!

Old 11-27-2002, 12:19 PM   #66  

I will join with Zanne, my fellow Canuck and wish all the Americans a Happy Thanksgiving. Remember to whom you should be thankful. Have a wonderful celebration!
Old 11-27-2002, 01:49 PM   #67  

Wanted to get these posted before it got too late. Will do my regular post later!

Okay, here's my DEB'S PUMPKIN PIE recipe:

2 eggs, beaten
1 14oz can pumpkin
3/4 cup agave
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground giner
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg
8oz evaporated milk
4oz (1/2 bar) 1/3 less fat cream cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

In a large bowl cream the cream cheese and then add all the other ingredients and mix well. Pour mixture into a prepared pie crust and bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes, then REDUCE heat to 350 degrees and bake an additional 35-40 minutes, or until filling is set.

Optional: If you'd like to add a whipped topping use the recipe below:

2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup agave (or less, to taste)
1/2 tsp ground ginger

In a large bolw combine all ingredients and whip until soft peaks form. Chill 1 hour before serving.

NOTE: I make a wheat germ pie crust with this pie. You can also make this crustless if you wish, just make sure you spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray beforehand for easy release. Watch that your crust doesn't burn!

DEB'S PECAN PIE

1/4 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
2/3 cup agave
1 1/2 cups broken pecans
pinch of salt (if using unsalted butter, though optional)
1 unbaked ww pie crust

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Beat butter until fluffy then beat in the vanilla, egss, agave and salt, in order. Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into an unbaked ie shell and bkae for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350, and bake for 25 minutes, until set, but not dry. Cool to room temperature before serving.

OPTIONAL: This pie can also be served with the same topping as mentioned above, if desired.
Old 11-27-2002, 02:03 PM   #68  

Hi All, It's a nice day here the weather is 55 and sunny, We are not going to have rain until next wk Which will be nice for Thanksgiving day.

I want to thank all of you for the support, I really was down and I usually don't let myself get that down, So sorry for the bummer and thanks for being there, all your kind words really helped.

I know this is weigh in Wed. but have been to busy to do so, I'm planning on weighing tomorrow, so I'll have a reason to get on the board. That will help me to remember not to make Mom to happy tomorrow.

Deb: Thanks for the email, I'll try to put it into practice. Your so kind thanks

Well gotta run going to try some of these recipes. Have a good one love to all Glory
Old 11-27-2002, 02:12 PM   #69  
Sonya

Talking

Hi Everyone,

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I am happy to report that I went from 235 to 231...YIPEEEE! Thats since Sunday...I am way way happy about that. Had to get my post in while the baby is asleep. Everyone have a great and safe holiday!!!!!

I am printing all the great recipes Denise had in her post. Yummy!!!

The dumpling recipe is just one I picked out of my head. I use about 2 cups of flour and a little salt and enough broth to get them to the desired consistancy...and roll them thin. I boil my chicken and use the broth off of it. I also put a little onion in while my chicken while its boiling a little salt and pepper. I use whats left of the broth for the sauce I add Cream of Mushroom soup a little butter can skim no fat evaporated milk and bring to a boil. Pull the chicken off of the bone and cut it into bite size pieces. Throw in pot and add dumplings.....Cook until dumplings are done.

Later Ladies and Gentlemen......Have a great Holiday!!!!!
Old 11-27-2002, 02:39 PM   #70  

Quickie

Thanks Glory for the Chicken and Dumplings recipe. I will have to try that someday!

Congratulations to Thunderwoman- You see you're already losing weight!!!
Old 11-27-2002, 02:51 PM   #71  

Hi everyone

It's been three weeks since I have posted, as Debbie reminded me yesterday, but I had planned to drop in to-day to wish you all a HAPPY THANKSGIVING. .

Nothing has changed here, I keep gaining and losing the same couple of pounds. That's the main reason I haven't been posting. It's the same old thing that's been happening for over a year now. I was hoping to be off for a while then be able to come back and report a loss but it hasn't happened yet. Anyway I haven't given up. I'm still staying op most of the time although I did have one really bad day last week but I got back on track the following day. I'm trying to keep off the scales. If only I could keep off for one whole week and stay 100% op, who knows a miracle might happen. I guess I am too impatient and have to get back on the metal monster after a few days then when the news isn't good I get ticked off. Anyway enough of that rambling.

Jack-K - Congrats on your loss this week. It must feel good to be back to your all time low and 94 pounds total is awesome. I am sure if you stick to this woe you will never see those pounds again. WTG.

Monet - Glad to see you are down again too. Being a turtle loser is much better than not losing at all. Take it any way you can get it. Hope you are feeling better but please don't start overdoing things too soon.

Denise - Congrats on staying below your plateau. It sure beats gaining. Hope you enjoy your weekend away.

Zanne - That must be water weight that you have gained if you had lots of salty food yesterday. Also TOM doesn't help. I am sure those extra pounds will be off again in a few days.

GloryIBe - Good to see you back onboard again.

Fillise - Hope you were able to get away for your holiday and your back is getting better. It's sure no fun driving with a sore back.

Thunderwoman62 - Congrats on your loss this week .

Greetings to everyone I have missed. I know there are lots of you. Take care everyone and have a great weekend.

Marie.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:06 PM   #72  

Good afternoon. Been getting stuff ready to take to my nieces tomorrow. I'll still cook a turkey breast for us to have for leftovers. Can't wait to visit with everyone and spend the day with my family...Lost 1.5 lbs. today for WIW.

Monet-Bet your treadmill is great. I have an old one that seems to work just fine and love it. But sure would love to try a smooth walking new one. Oh my gosh don't tell me anymore about putting on Debs cheesecake its so good just plain I can't make it to often or I'll eat eat eat... Congrads on the 2 lbs. I have a bid on a braclet through e-bay too hope I get it...

Tranquil- So sorry you're sick and at such a busy time. Hope you get a good rest over Thanksgiving...

Jack-K- Way to go on the weight!!! Wooie I'm doing the happy dance for you.

robin_girl- Great big congrads. on your loss!!! Keep up the good work....

Debilli- Don't rush to much and get all tired. Hopeing for those recipes....

CountryMom- Sounds good at your house I can just smell it....

Zanne- Hopefully next week WIW will be better...

GloryIBe-Hi gal hope everything is going okay with you..

Thank you Debilli and Thunderwoman for the recipes...

Now off I go. Its time to get my rolls in the pan.... Happy Thanksgiving to all.....

213/164/130
Old 11-27-2002, 03:07 PM   #73  

Rosalie- Happy Thanksgiving to you... Its good to see you back...
Old 11-27-2002, 04:08 PM   #74  

Good WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY MORNING EVERYONE!

I was going to not go exercise today. There was a warm body in bed asking me to return to join it but I was torn between it being such a gorgeous day and knowing it would benefit me to go out, or staying in and doing gosh knows what So I opted for the one that I was going to benefit from the most (I think) and went for my 4.5 miles. Was better timing than I thought 50:47, not too bad.

I did get on the scale today and I'm at the same weight I've been for a few days, 130. Not complaining at all and know this will go down soon, or at least I hope. CONGRATS to all of you who lost this week and to those who stayed the same or had a temporary gain, stick with it, you know the drill!!!!

I have to make a small mention about using Splenda in your recipes. PLEASE be careful that you don't eat a lot of foods made with this. You have to remember, this is made with MALTODEXTRIN which is extremely high on the GI. If DENISE doesn't mind, I'd like to disect this part of the PECAN PIE RECIPE she posted that uses 2/3 cup Splenda which is equivalent to 32 teaspoons. I am taking it that one would use the SPLENDA GRANULAR since this is used in place of sugar, measure for measure. If so, this would give you 64 calories and 16 grams of carbs and 192mg of Sucralose. Now, if someone wanted to use Splenda and only had the packets, each packet is only a half teaspoon of product yet, has the sweetness of twice of what the granular has. I just want you to keep this in mind. Even though the box on the Splenda packets say 0 calories, there are actually 4 calories in each packet and 1 gram of carb. The reason it says 0 calories is because with USDA Standards, a company is able to say 0 calories if it's less than 5 calories, which of course, 4 is. But just think about it, you are getting 64 more calories than you thought AND another 16 grams of carbs, not to mention quite a bit of maltodextrin. This, for some people may cause a reaction like I've had in the past with seeing the scale go up with taking in too much maltodextrin. Thought, I can't imagine anyone eating a whole pie as I have almost done in the past, but do keep this in mind. Be careful when deciding what to make as far as treats go, it may not be well worth it at all and if you do, remember PORTION CONTROL!!!

TONI, I think if you are like me and only do one exercise (me walking, you walking on the TM), it gets to be old hat and many people have told me to vary my exercise due to not wanting to go out some days, but for me, I just like doing anything else, or if I did, like thought I've thought about getting a rebounder, I just don't want another piece of equipment in the house, let alone that I just can't afford it either. I guess on days like this, when we don't want to go maybe it's not such a bad thing to skip a day-it's when we skip it again and again and again that we should worry

LDBLOND, I hope with all the tests that they are doing they can come to a conclusion and a treatment that will help you. Your attitude will get you through trying times and yes, you and the rest of us do have lots to be thankful for

DENISE, thanks or posting all those recipes, but SWEET POTATO GRATIN with garlic? Ick! Just doesn't sound like a good combo to me in a SP DISH. The PECAN PIE recipe I'd nix though. That's a lot of Splenda, hence a lot of maltodextrin along with the agave, a slice of that may really give you a huge GI rating! Sorry to burst a bubble. I know at Publix you can buy the different coffees, but I know you shouldn't grind flavored beans with unflavored, as the unflavored would pick up the taste of flavored. I'm not sure natural and unnatural flavorings are used in making flavore beans or if adds any additional calories or carbs, though I'd think it may. I'll see what i may be able to find on the web about it. The sourdough stuffind recipe is on the board, I'll dig it out and e-mail it to you. I'm drying the SD bread as I type this out!

GLORY, yes, I do remember your DM & my GM being of the same mold, you poor soul! It took me most of my life time to not give a damn about what she says. I can relate to how you've tried to please others and yet not pleasing yourself, or being happy about things you've done to please others. I think if you grew up as a heavy child as I did I did things for acceptance I look back at now and wish I hadn't done. As I've told you in the past with you Mom, you can't please people like this, and why even try. I was able to make this break after going to the therapist on other issues, but this was found to be a big issue. Now I just plain don't care what she thinks or says about me, but now that she can't complain about MY weight she's started in with my DD Lauren and THAT I do care about and won't let her pick up with where she left off with me. It's her loss, not mine! I hope you can come to terms with things and not let her get to you like this. Once she's gone there will be a lot of bitterment towards her and it will be hard for you, better to deal with it now and take the reigns in your own hands and stop this crap once and for all. Now, I will get off my soapbox! Good luck with your daughter, I'm sure it won't be an easy thing to go through.

SEF, I'm with you today on getting prepared with the food, but not the cleaning. Me worry you! Come on, that's my line to you, no stealing

JACKK, you can tell DH WTG for me and for getting you out there. ELI does tell me to go out some of the times I don't care to go. I wish he'd go walk with me sometimes though. I know it would only be a leisurely walk but I'd really like it. He can't be bothered though. On the FF issue, I've never been a big FF lover at all, but when they had Rally's, now those I'd eat and love, Checkers are okay, but again, I wouldn't go out of my way for them.

TRANQUIL, sorry you're still not feeling well, hope this shakes off of you soon, I know the feeling, I'm still not feeling 100%. Enjoy your TG with Wendy tomorrow, know that my thoughts are with you! How'd Zach like his guitar lesson?

MONET, I bet you look mahvelous with your new haircut! I think that is so wonderful of you to send your locks to Locks of Love, someone so deserving will be so thankful for your generosity. So, I take it you liked the cheesecake??? I actually do have a breakdown somewhere of the nutritional values, will have to see if I can dig it out. I get 8 pieces out of it. I can eat all 8 too!

MUSIC, I had a treadmill long ago and got rid of it. Make sure if you are going to buy one you really do do your homework and not let it end up being used as a clothes hanger. They're a dime a dozen down here at garage sales, all types and kinds, people just buy them and don't use them and they can take up a lot of space as well.

BOB, WTG! CONGRATS on another great loss this week! How many are you at now?

THUNDER, CONGRATS, that's a great loss this week!!!

ROSALIE, got your e-mail though haven't had time to reply, but sure glad to see your posting on the board again-were you afraid I'd fly up there with my traveling DD???

TONI, enjoy your day with the family, and congrats on your loss this week!

To all I didn't reply to individually, I send you a big HELLO!

Well, I must get busy in the kitchen, have to get cooking! I will check back later tonight.

I hope those of you who won't be getting on the board tomorrow, I hope you all HAVE A WONDERFUL THANKSGIVING!

{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie
194/130/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 11-27-2002, 04:26 PM   #75  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

AFTERNOON EVERY BUDDY!!!

Just wanted to drop in and say HAPPY TURKEY DAY to everyone!
Watch those portions and keep your fingers out of the sweets!
I'll be back on in a few days...

BOB
Closed Thread