Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: ARE YOU ABLE TO KEEP YOUR "STARCHY CARBS" TO THE SUGGESTED 2-3 A DAY?
ALWAYS 5 12.50%
MOST OF THE TIME 19 47.50%
SOMETIMES 11 27.50%
RARELY 2 5.00%
NEVER 1 2.50%
WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 11:00 AM   #121  

Hi all,

Another interesting day in Dallas. Does anyone else live in an area that the weather is so different day to day?
Today is bright and cold....I’ll take it.

Fillise: I love, love , love your new avatar. Being a cat person, it really appeals to me. I have two cats myself.
They are a mother and daughter team of Birmans. Being they are in their teens, they are very precious.

Deb: That was terrible that so many of the parents backed out on their obligations and you. Feeling ill sure didn’t
help you at all, did it? Where is the justice? I have been reading a book called “The Insulin-Resistance Diet” by
Cheryle R Hart. Have you read it? It is a rather complicated eating method of “link and balance” but one thing
she talked about was not eating more that 30 gr. of carbohydrate in a two hour period and then linking it with
protein to balance. What do you think of all this? Also, can you tell me again the name of the new pretzels by
Snyder (?)? I think you said they are a little sweet and would be good to make a crust. Congrats on your two year
anniversary...way to go!

Beth: I was so sorry to hear that your sister-in-law was having so much trouble. I was happy to hear that things
are looking up for her though.

Merlis: CONGRATS ON MAKING YOUR GOAL!

Monet: Interesting you should talk about trading services with a friend. I recently got to have a massage in
exchange for taking photos of her children. It was a great bargain and we were both very happy. I had had a
massage years ago and didn’t like it but I felt comfortable with her and she really helped the soreness in my upper
and lower back. It was probably caused from the driving I did on the trip to LA. Now, I suppose I will need to see
how much she charges when I want to do it again. Maybe there was method in her madness.
Old 03-22-2002, 11:29 AM   #122  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Morning All

Feeling lots better today, so you all can be rest assured your good wishes must of worked. I felt better yesterday, but not 100% then in the evening started feeling a bit funky, but not terrible. This morning I felt lots better, still not 100%, but managed to get in my 4.5 miles because I knew if I didn't that I would feel really crappy! I was surprised that I was able to get in my 4.5 miles under 50 minutes, so I was happy.

The volunteering went very well and I actually enjoyed myself. I ran a register in one of the souvenir booths. It truly amazes me how people will spend money like it's nothing on souvenir items, esp. those that are tennis related and very over priced. One couple came in and bought T-shirts that totalled $184, then came back an hour later and bought a sweatshirt for $56! I will say, if I had the time, I'd go back, but I just don't.

Speaking of time, I must forewarn you all that after this weekend I'll be posting but it's not going to be the usual long Debbie posts. I have lists of things to do each and every day before we leave for NC on Friday, so I hope you will all be able to bear with me during the next week.

I got an e-mail from my pen-pal of 27 years telling me she's having all sorts of terrible medical problems. Many of you know I've spoken of her in the past, but newbies don't know, but to put it in a nutshell, we were put together the summer before 8th grade as DIET PEN PALS through Seventeen Magazine. Anyhow, we've seen each other go through the weight loss rollercoaster, more me than her, but she's had such terrible health problems through the years that are getting worse each year along with having new ones to contend with. I wrote her back and for the first time in 27 years I literaly BEGGED her to lose weight. I truly believe many of her problems are weight related and I know if nothing more than eating right and doing some exercise will make her feel good, it will possibly help her with some of her ailments. Geez, you Texas gals are sure heck stubborn!!! I say that because she too is in Texas!!!! I hope she will do something, as I'm definitely worried about her.

I DO HAVE A REQUEST!!! Will anyone be willing to start the boards for me early Monday morning, or even very late Sunday night (would be good for someone on the West Coast for Sunday night, or on Monday morning someone from the East Coast). I thought I would have access to my Aunt's computer but they will be out of town the same week we will be there, so no computer access (can you already see me going through withdrawls!!!). Anyhow, please e-mail me if you are game!!!! [email protected]

So, as you can see, TODAY IS MY 2 YEAR SB ANNIVERSARY I'm hoping to get a post in later about that later!!! Happy to report that I'm seeing 120.5 on the scale today as well

FILLISE, glad to see you are using fitday.com and finding it helpful and useful. I can comiserate with you about the car, just had some work done on mine to the tune of $365!

TONI, SNOW? I'm dying of 90% humidity and temps in the upper 80's down here-care to trade? Did you make one of the eggplant recipes and if so, which one and how did you like it?

BETH, sorry to hear about your SIL, but glad to know she's doing fine. The believe the site you want is at: http://www.foodcount.com/Index.cfm?Method=Home let me know if this is it, wasn't able to check it, had trouble getting through, so if not, let me know.

LDBLOND, I hope things at home are better today, esp with the kids. I guess when things get crazy it seems that we turn to food to make us feel better, and many experts say it does, but in the same respect, you can find other foods that will make you feel just the same, as will some exercise-but most people chose the "bad alternative." I'm sure you'll get your act together, just try not to be so hard on yourself. On a good thought, I caught NANCE this morning on an I/M and we have a talk planned for tomorrow evening!!!

MUSIC, I think when you have a church function like that, go into the church and pray, or more like say to G-d that you will find stregth to stay away from any temptations that may come in front of you while you are in his house of worship!!! Hey, I figure if you do it first thing and give Him your word, you won't go back on it, would you??? Doing better today, thanks, not sure what the heck I had!!

POOCH, glad you like the pic

SOL, I truly think you need a copy of that book for yourself!!! I hope you at least rewnewed it at the library-surely don't want to be paying any fines. Did you check out the site with the dog names I posted for you????

MONET, glad to can understand the frustrations we have with volunteers. Oh well, what can we do? Now I have to work on getting a few volunteers for signing up the kids who are coming in next year in 2 weeks and then for volunteers for IB WRITTEN EXAMS for the entire month of May, which last year was not a problem, so I hope it won't be once again. Okay, now I'm salavating and waiting to hear how your dinner turned out last night!!!

SHEANN, glad to hear your Mom's doing better. Don't worry about those 5.5lbs, it could be water AND stress that have caused you to gain these unfat pounds, just be patient and they'll come sliding right back off

FREEDOM, you can't get discouraged like that. I found there are many reasons for gaining when you've been OP 100%, TOM, mid-cycle, stress, lack of enough water, NOT EATING ENOUGH, etc. Try to analyze what's going on, be patient and things will work out. I've gained many pounds these past 2 years and didn't have my first cheat until this past New Years. You have to get to know your body and how it responds. I do have to agree with FILLISE said to you, this is NOT a low carb diet like Atkins and you should be getting carbs in a good quantity. This could easily be why you aren't losing.

FROG, sent you an e-mail!!!

JRED, thanks for the congrats for Lauren. As for the Mothers who have too much time-why not make them productive and come work at the school, that way they can watch their precious darlings and they're teachers all the time and not have a reason to call the school-NOT!!!!!

FRUIT, just a quick hello!!!!!

GRACIOUS, snow, send me some, PLEASE!!! Wish your daughter a HB come Monday, from your on-line pals!!!

THUNDER, glad to hear you had a good bday. I love Outback and ours also has sweet potatoes and I always tell them to have mine totally plain, nothing, no sugar or butter and I tell you when you get a really sweet one, it's like eating pudding!!!!! Never thought of just cinnamon on mine, may have to ask about that next time!

ROSE, can't recall reading that book. Sounds like food combining is in it though and that's something I personally didn't want to do and one of the reasons I chose SB over Suzanne Sommers diet, I couldn't be bother with it, but hey, if it's something you are interested in using SB RULES, it probably couldn't hurt to try. The pretzels are SNYDER'S ORGANIC OAT BRAN PRETZELS. They are sticks and they definitely are delicious!!!! Thanks for the congrats!!

WOW! Caught up-this is great! If I missed anyone, it's definitely NOT intentional!!!

Going to get some lunch now, the usual chicken salad sandwich today.

Will check in later. Going tonight with Eli to a new STARBUCKS OPENING

Have a wonderful day and a fabulous weekend!

Debbie
194/120.5/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01

Old 03-22-2002, 11:54 AM   #123  

Default Balancing

I will have to look for the book you mentioned, yellowrose.

I am a pretty firm believer in balance, though I don't get militant about it (anymore). The Zone advocates it, and so does BFL. I do believe in the theory that eating protein and small amounts of good fat along with carbohydrate helps to lower the glycemic index of what you are eating, and isn't that a main point of SB?

Now as far as restrictions on certain foods not being eaten together, or only fruit before noon, no, I can't see doing that myself. I tried something like that (the Diamonds program, forget the name) years ago without success.

Laura
Old 03-22-2002, 12:28 PM   #124  

Glad today is Friday, hoping for some "me" time this weekend. We'll see, it doesn't seem to happen much. Michael is improving every day, but still not ready to play with all of his friends at day care. I did take him today, but he's going to stay in the living room and veg on tv. Not a wonderful option, but I have to work and no other family available.

Had decaf Starbucks this morning. Tired and grouchy, but I know that those symptoms will fade in a couple days.

Deb, Happy Anniversary! SB has changed your life and it not only shows physically, but in your vibrant personality! May today begin another positive and healthy year for you! Please give Nance a big hello for me!

Monet, Thanks.

Beth, Wondeful news about your SIL. Thanks for keeping us up to date during this tough time for your family.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:40 PM   #125  
Simple is Good!

S/C/G: 345/323.6/299

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for all the support. I didn't articulate well about the carb thing. You know how we can have 2-3 starchy carbs a day if we want to lose weight? I had a piece of bread...which was in and of itself amazing. LOL. That's all I meant.
Old 03-22-2002, 02:08 PM   #126  

Quick question. One of the gals in my office is working really hard to be successful on SB and she is doing well. Her constant challenge is nighttime eating. She doesn't go to sleep until about midnight and finds herself at the fridge ag 10:30 or 11 every night. Any input on night time eating? It's not a big problem for me, so I'm not sure what to suggest to her.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2002, 03:10 PM   #127  
Goddess

Thumbs down Good Riday afternoon!

It's too cold here!!!! My azealas are trying to bloom and I am watching the leaves sprout on the trees as I type, but it is supposed to be below freezing tonight. NOOOOOOO! I'm going to have to get the sheets out to cover the azealas.

I got the car back--to the tune of 438 bucks! Ka-ching!

Down a pound this morning to 238.

LD--I used to want to eat at night too--now when I get in the mood for something, I try to have a cup of herbal tea instead. Tell your friend to try drinking something instead of eating. I will sometimes have a SB legal treat around 8:30, but try very hard not to eat anything after that. She may not be having enough for dinner if she is getting really hungry. If it's boredom or emotional eating, that's a whole diffent ballgame.

Freedom--it does take some getting used to! You'll get the hang of it and learn how to balance the carbs.

Deb--how long are you going to be in NC? I'm jealous! It may be July before I get back there again.

Yellowrose--Thanks! I loved this avatar when I found it--and was so disappointed I couldn't use it at first. Isn't amazing how the cats just worm their way into our hearts. I'm an accidental mom--but now can't imagine what I did without Belle!

Toni--thanks! I'm feeling better today and all the tax stuff in in the hands of my accountant! Maybe it was just the thought of taxes that were making me queasy!

Frog--I'm glad you are home safely and that your GM is going to be well cared for in her new home. I have two aunts with alzheimers--one no longer recognizes anyone. I dreamed I went to see her and she recognized me and we were able to talk. I miss being able to visit and talk with her.

OH and before I forget--

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DEB!

Two years is a great accomplishment for a recovering yo-yo dieter!

Have a good afternoon everyone!

Susan
300/238/150
Old 03-22-2002, 03:41 PM   #128  

Hi Everyone! I just woke up from a nap. Sometimes, I get so sleepy in the afternoon, I can not stay awake. Today was one of those days. My hubby is coming home early, and I hope he is not too disgusted that I did not get anything done today!

Dinner last night was good. My daughter and future son in law, who is a chef, were cooking a belated birthday dinner for me. Well, kind of anyway. That was the original idea, but my daughter has a bit of a temper, and got mad about something. I am not sure what. Her fiance' came upstairs and asked me to help him, so I did. He wants to start a catering business and wants me to be his partner, since I have catered before. I ended up helping make potato puffs. He wanted to try them, since he had tried before and gotten the recipe all messed up. These were good, he made them with whole wheat pastry flour, and I picked out the type of potato that was lowest on the GI, and only ate a few tiny puffs, just so I could say they were good. He made steaks, which were excellent, and my daughter made spanikopita with the ww filo dough, and tzaziki sauce, which is made with drained yogurt, cucumbers and spices. The food was great, but typical for them, it was not ready until almost 10pm! I tried to not complain. I am working on them, and the use of whole wheat flour and filo was a step in the right direction. Next I will work on the eating by 8! I don't feel really good today, and perhaps it is from the very late supper.

FILLISE: My azaleas are starting to bloom too. I have way too many to try and cover them. I sure hope it does not freeze too hard, and kill all the stuff that is starting to grow. I have a lot of roses, and just started pruning. I have not finished yet, but last year, it froze after I started and killed three that I had just pruned. sigh.

LDBLOND: The idea of drinking instead of eating for your co-worker is a good one. Another is to find something distracting to do, like read. I used to want to eat a lot at night, but I don't care to anymore. Perhaps it is because I drink so much water? I do know that the longer I am on SB the more my appetite seems to calm down, and the less I eat.

YELLOWROSE: You ought to ask that massage therapist if there is something else you can trade with her for massage. She might like the dinner idea if you like to cook. My MT likes the dinner because I bring it on nights when she has clients coming at 6, and it frees up her afternoon for her not to worry about a meal. She does not like to cook, either, and her family definitely likes to eat! It sure is easy for me...I just double what I am making for my family usually.

GRACIOUS: Bless you for being snowed in. That only happened to me as a kid once...when Chicago had a great blizzard. I was about 12. Never will forget it- there was so much snow you could walk up the drifts and onto the garage roof! I hope you daughter has a good birthday, and her friends can come for the party. That is important to 8 year olds! Tell her happy birthday from me! Such a good age.... Wish my almost 16 year old were still 8. That would mean *I* was only 41!

THUNDER: Glad to hear you had a nice birthday! I wish I had gone to Outback on my birthday, instead of Lone Star Steaks. I did not know Outback had sweet potatoes.... I like Outback so much better, and the service and food at Lone Star was a joke... sigh. Maybe next year! Or maybe I can talk the hubby into it for a date night. Problem is, my son in law to be works at a steak place called Rodehouse Grill. I like their food, but it is not close. Hubby thinks it is too far, and too expensive...but I think he just did not have a favorable impression cause it was so crowded the time we went there.
Old 03-22-2002, 04:05 PM   #129  

Good Afternoon all. Just got back from Wal-Mart and getting the Grandkids Easter stuff. They'll be here Monday and wanted to make them Easter baskets. Oh my gosh all that candy. I tried to get more little toys to put in the baskets than candy. I'm getting so excited to see them since it was last July. They're both boys
and 7 and 9 yrs. old.

Monet-Your dinner sounded like an adventure. Most days I lay down and take a little nap. I've done it for years when I could. Then when I got heart trouble it seemed I had more energy if I could just doze a few. Hope you're not coming down with something..

Fillise-Cover those azaleas up. Mine are still a branch. My tulips aren't even all the way up yet. Oh my gosh don't say car trouble. My husband has a four wheel drive scout that is hanging by a thread....... Congrads. on that lb. you lost, way to go...

Deb-Happy Anniversery to youuuuuuu! My eggplant was spoiled so I didn't get to try it. Will have to get me a new one next week....

Idblond-How bout SF jello, something along those lines...

Going for a nice cup of tea..... Happy rest of the day....
Old 03-22-2002, 06:20 PM   #130  

Hi Everyone,

Deb: Okay! I think I have found the chocolate with the highest percentage! It is Callebaut 99% unsweetened
chocolate. That 99% is not a typo. Of course, I don’t know what I am going to do with it. The person at Whole
Foods said it was too bitter to actually eat. Maybe I can melt it and add Stevia or Agave, and, of course, some nuts.
Where are you going in North Carolina? I’m sure you said but I missed it. How long will you be gone? Can you
tell that I am anxious about you being away from the board.....selfish me. About the book, I am very happy with the
SB program as is but I might watch that part about limiting carbs to 30 gms per 2 hour period.

Monet: Yes, I need to find a way to trade something for another massage. I do love to cook or maybe she will
need more pictures soon. Your kitchen adventure makes me think of some of the episodes in my own kitchen.

LD Blond: I have found a tea that I really like by Celestial Seasonings called Cinnamon Apple Spice. It tastes
sweet but no sugar or substitute sugar in the ingredients. ( Ingredients: Cinnamon, hibiscus, chamomile flower,
roasted chicory root, orange peel, roasted carob, natural apple flavor) I don’t have trouble in the evening with
eating but the problem comes in the afternoon. I plan in a treat that is legal. Then I try to stay away from the
almonds, cheese and walnuts. Fillise had a good point about maybe your friend isn’t eating enough dinner. We
eat rather late, around 7:30pm so I am finished with food after that.

Fillise: I grew up around cats but did not have one until I had been married for some time. Now, I can’t image my
life without one of these furry creatures. I will try to find a picture of “the girls” and post my little darlings.

Semmens: As I told Deb, I am happy with the SB program but it is interesting to read about other ideas on the
subject.

Hope you all have a great evening.
Old 03-22-2002, 07:19 PM   #131  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Default F. Y. I

Next time you are washing your hands and complain
because the water temperature isn't just how you
like it, think about how things used to be.

Here are some facts about how it was in the 1500s:

Most people got married in June because they took
their yearly bath in May and still smelled pretty
good by June. However, they were starting to smell,
so brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the
body odor.
Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water.
The man of the house had the privilege of the nice
clean water, then all the other sons and men, then
the women and finally the children. Last of all the
babies were bathed. By then the water was so dirty
you could actually lose someone in it. Hence the
saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water."

Houses had thatched roofs - thick straw, piled high,
with little or no wood underneath. It was the only place
for animals to get warm, so all the dogs, cats and other
small animals (mice rats, and bugs)lived in the roof.
When it rained it became slippery, and sometimes the animals
would slip and fall off the roof. Hence the saying,
"It's raining cats and dogs."

There was nothing to stop things from falling into
the house. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where
bugs and other droppings could really mess up your nice
clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over
the top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds came
into existence.

The floors were usually dirt. Only the wealthy had something
other than dirt. Hence the saying "dirt poor." The wealthy
had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet,
so they spread thresh on the floor to help keep their footing.
As the winter wore on, they kept adding more, thresh until when
they opened the door it would all start slipping outside.
A piece of wood was placed in the entranceway. Hence,
a "thresh hold."

Folks cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always
hung over the fire. Every day they lit the fire and added
things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not
get much meat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving
leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start
over the next day. Sometimes the stew had food in it that
had been there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme,
"Peas porridge hot. Peas porridge cold. Peas porridge in
the pot nine days old."

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel
quite special. When visitors came over, they would hang
up their bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that
a man "could bring home the bacon." They would cut off a
little to share with guests and would all sit around and
"chew the fat."

Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with
a high acid content caused some of the lead to leak onto
the food, causing lead poisoning and death. This happened
most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years
or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Most people did not have pewter plates, but had "trenchers."
A trencher was a piece of wood with the middle scooped out
like a bowl. Often trenchers were also made from stale pays
and bread which was so old and hard that they could use them
for quite some time. Trenchers were never washed and a lot
of times worms and mold got into the wood and old bread. Often,
after eating off wormy, moldy trenchers, one would get
"trench mouth."

Bread was divided according to status. Hired workers got
the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle,
and special guests got the top, or "the upper crust."

Lead cups were used to drink ale or whiskey. The combination
would sometimes knock a hefty drinker out for a couple of days.
Someone walking along the road would find these folks passed-out an take them for dead.

They would then be prepared for burial. A part of this
preparation was that they would be "laid out" on the kitchen
table for a couple of days and the family would gather around
and eat and drink and wait and see if they would "wake up."
Hence, the custom of holding a "wake."

England is old and small and they started out running out
of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and
would take the bones to a "bone-house" and reuse the grave.
When reopening these coffins, one out of twenty-five coffins
were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they
realized that in spite of holding their "wakes" they still
had been burying some people alive. So they began to tie a
string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin
and up through the ground. Above ground the string was tied to
a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all
night to listen for the bell. Hence, the beginning of the
term, "graveyard shift." If the bell rang, that person was,
"saved by the bell!" If, after a week passed and the bell did
not ring, the person was considered a "dead ringer."

And all this is the truth!

Whoever said that "History" is boring

BOB
Old 03-22-2002, 07:57 PM   #132  

That was great!!!!!!!!!!! I just loved reading that, thanks for posting it....
Old 03-22-2002, 08:08 PM   #133  

BOB - Thanks for posting! I love history, and I really enjoyed reading that.

Debelli - Congrats on your 2 years of SB! I wish you many more years of continued success.
Old 03-22-2002, 08:19 PM   #134  

Default BOB

That was a very interesting and educational article. So many old sayings that I have often wondered how they originated. It makes me glad that I am living to-day and not a few hundred years ago.

Marie.
Old 03-22-2002, 08:27 PM   #135  
Bustin' Buddy

Good evening!

Hope you all had a good day! Mine was eventful. We had a field trip today and then a picnic in the park across from school so I'm quite pooped! I also had duty today to top it all off!

FILLISE: My azaleas are absolutely beautiful right now. I have lights in them around my gazebo in my back yard and at night they are so pretty! My whole yard is full of them! The only thing bad about them is that they don't last long at all - one good storm and they are gone!

DEBBIE: WAY TO GO!!! 2 years - what an awesome accomplishment! You are our hero! I wish I could help with the thread thing for the board - but I don't know how to do it! If you tell me - I'll take care of it for you!

THUNDER: Outback is my favorite place to eat out! I love Alice Spring's Chicken! TO DIE FOR!!! YUMMY! Glad you had a good birthday!

LDBLOND: Sorry - I can't help out with the late eating situation - I'm in bed WAY before that!! I'm probably in bed BECAUSE I don't want to eat! HAHA!

GATOR: What's up - I miss you girl!!!!

Well, I was at 264.5 this morning - I think it's a fluke - for some reason I feel like I'll be up tomorrow - we'll see!

See y'all tomorrow!

Missy
284/264.5/170

Last edited by fruitloupe; 03-22-2002 at 08:31 PM.
Closed Thread