Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: ARE YOU ABLE TO KEEP YOUR "STARCHY CARBS" TO THE SUGGESTED 2-3 A DAY?
ALWAYS 5 12.50%
MOST OF THE TIME 19 47.50%
SOMETIMES 11 27.50%
RARELY 2 5.00%
NEVER 1 2.50%
WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 11:05 AM   #46  

I forgot to mention that yesterday at the HFS, I found this bottled water that I had never seen, called Glaceau fruitwater, vapor distilled+fruit essence. Ingredients are:
Vapor distilled/deionized water (whatever that means)
Natural flavor
Citric acid
Electrolytes (calcium, magnesium, and potassium)

0 calories, no artificial sweeteners

They had 3 flavors: lemon-ginger, grapefruit-cranberry and another flavor that escapes me now. They aren't sweet or carbonated, but just have a little flavor to them. Pretty good.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:20 AM   #47  
super mom

Hi everyone

I got a call from my DH He has called me a few times but we always get cut off after just a few minutes. We actually talked for about 10 minutes so I am very happy. He also surprised me and is really thinking of retiring after this cruise - Florida here we come (wishful thinking for now). We will move down there but it may be 1 - 2 years away. We will have to finish out this tour (for anyone who doens't know my DH is in the Navy). I spend about an hour playing with realtor.com and looking at houses and dreaming.... Most likely we would go back to Jacksonville but I like the gulf side.

I am going out to lunch today with another lady who's hubby is gone - I think we are going to Olive Garden - any suggestions besides don't go

I was so excited to get my case of Agave last week but I still haven't opened it. I drink only one cup of cofee now and I use just milk in it - I used to be addicted to vanilla creamer - yummy - and drink a whole pot every morning. I've come along way with that and figure since I am used to it not being sweet anymore why bother. Don't know what else to make with it - I'll have to check out the recipes you guys have posted. Does anyone use Sweet & low brown sugar?

Debelli - congrats to your daughter getting into your magnet school. My DS is waiting to see if he gets into a technology one here. It's also done on a lottery so its just luck. It is the only magnet school for middle schoolers so everyone wants in - our fingers are crossed and we should hear something within the next 2-3 weeks.

Kimmy thekid - I bought a package of the SF Swiss Miss too but haven't ried it. Glad to hear it's good. I actually bought it back in january and forgot about it till you mentioned it - things get lost in my cupboards.

Canada gals - my grandparents are originally from Canada - I used to spend the summers with them and loved it. What I remember most was this caramel topping we would get there to put on our toast every morning. Definately not a SB thing but a great memory. My senior class trip went to Toronto - ahhh more memories.

Time for me to kick it in gear - have a great one ladies!!!
TTFN
Denise
Old 03-19-2002, 02:41 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Newbie Joining

Been reading your boards for awhile and decided to join in. Not sure if I'm doing this right or not. I have been doing SB since Oct 2001 and have lost 50 pounds so far. Still alot to go though. I have always enjoyed Debbie's posts on Sweet Talk board so thought I would joint in here. This is a little more complicated though. I will have to learn my way around. Everyone seems so nice here. Just wanted to say hi and to wish everyone a good day. (It's nasty here in Louisville, KY, rain for days).
Old 03-19-2002, 02:55 PM   #49  

Hi Jack-K - I just started here a couple of weeks ago. Wow 50 lbs that is sooooo good. Welcome, this is a great board. Where is Sweettalk???
Old 03-19-2002, 03:21 PM   #50  

Here's my TUESDAY TIP

A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat.

BOB
Old 03-19-2002, 03:31 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Toni48

Sweet talk is the message board on sugar busters web site.
I really liked it when I got started and it really helped motivate me, now the tone has seemed to change or maybe I have hust been reading too long. Still got to have the motivation kick daily.
Old 03-19-2002, 03:32 PM   #52  
Child of God

WELCOME JACK_K

This is a nice board!!! This is the main place to post at. There is also an exercise board, food, resources, weight...for WIW, and a few other ones.

I live in Cinci, not too far from you. Raining here as well.

I hope you join us and a big congrats on the 50 pounds long gone!!!!
Old 03-19-2002, 03:38 PM   #53  

Talking New to board

Hi Everybody! I just joined up! I'm new to Sugarbusters, have been posting to the Sugarbuster board since I started mid-February. I've lost 9, gained 3...and in some sort of holding pattern that I'm hoping will move soon! HA It should, I'm doing lots of water now and doing the treadmill faithfully.

I'm 44, a manager in local Gov't, married under 3 years and have two teenaged boys at home (18 & 19) which is enough to make anyone eat! I started this new journey with my husband. We quit smoking 18 months ago, he gained about 20-25, I gained about 50 (my norm). I was about 30-35 #s overweight as I had lost 60 lbs. pushing myself in local theater.

Anyway, I'm really happy to be here; I love this WOE; hope I'm a good contributor and what can I say.....your support will be very welcome

Thanks!
Judy in CA (Silicon Valley -- SF bay area)
Old 03-19-2002, 03:49 PM   #54  
Child of God

Welcome Judy!!! This really is a great board with so much help and inspiration!!! There is a bio thread and you can post photos there or on the photo album thread.

I have been here for a short while and went from Atkins to here.

Congrats on the smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can say that loud enough!! I really admire someone who quits. Thanks to a smoking mom and dad, I never did.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:24 PM   #55  

Hi,

Lots of rain here in Texas. I guess we will need to make our own sunshine for a few more days.

Jack -K: Welcome, welcome to the board. I am new at posting myself. You are doing so well losing 50 pounds
since Oct....tell me all your secrets!

Judy in CA: Welcome, also. It sounds like you are on the right track. All the ladies are sure to be a big help with
your journey.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:28 PM   #56  
Mel

Default Tuesday

Just a real quickie hi to everyone! Welcome newcomers- this is a wonderfully supportive and motivating community. Glad you've decided to de-lurk.

Happy birthday to Monet and Big Bird!

Sheann- hope all went well with your mother.

Pooch- I don't know how you do it! I think I'd go nuts waiting for those 10 minute phone calls. My brother is a pilot in the AF and I know my SIL sure suffers.

Deb- hope you had a good day with Mr. Coffee. Where's that shopping list?

hi to everyone else- it's supposed to snow here tonite and wipe out all the daffodils. Gotta go to the "spring" concert at school.

mel
Old 03-19-2002, 07:02 PM   #57  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERY BUDDY!!!

HAPPY BELATED "GET OLDER DAY" MONET.... I know Debbie didn't miss you on purpose, but the old girl's mind just ain't what it used to be!!

WELCOME JACK AND JUDY so glad to have you with us. Judy...I'll be in L'ville the first of May for the birth of my Niece's first baby..Would like to meet you, but I'm afraid this trip my time will be completely tied up...but next time, let's do lunch!

QUILTER!!! I had NO TROUBLE finding sweet potatoes in FITDAY...they're right there under MUSIC ROOT!!!!

SUSAN...Here's a great salad to spoon into your AVACADO'S chop up tomato, cuc's, spring onion, throw in some olives (black or kalmato), feta, green red or yellow pepper, greek peppers...put into a rubbermaid bowl, pour some KEN'S GREEK dressing over, put the lid on and shake the **** out of the bowl to thouroughly coat the veggies with the dressing. Spoon into the avacado and munch on....YUMMY!!! Salad is better the next day...

DEB....Tell my SWEETIE that my friend Debbie here in Sarasota bought the new ARABIAN coffee without knowing that it cost $15.99 but took it anyway after they gave her the slip to sign (no price on the bag). Fixed some when she got home and says it's no better than any of the older coffee's in the store and surely not worth $15.99
Still can't get into that web site!

POOCH...come on over to the GULF SIDE we're much nicer than the EAST COASTERS!!! You can still go to MACDILL to shop and the ocean is so better over here...

GRACIOUS...get the 65% or 70% and try that...it's not as bitter as the 85% I think you'll like that..I wasn't a dark eater either, but just ask DEB how I manage to get it down now

MY CONDOLENCES to all of you who are experiencing the torrential rains...I just saw on the news that it's STILL raining up in my neck of the woods in KENTUCKY . We had a TERRIBLE flood in 1977 and the CORPS OF ENGINEERS were supposed to have fixed the rivers to prevent this from ever happening again.. I understand that it pretty bad up in the EASTERN KY MOUNTAINS...I'm actually from the CITY (Middlesboro) and my little town doesn't usually flood except in one area...no family left there, but still don't like to see that area in trouble..

TONI...I won't answer your question about the eggplant , cause I know Debbie will JUMP on that one..she LOVES it and will pass along one of ELI'S recipes for you.

TRISH...is that KNOXVILLE TENNESSEE?? or KNOXVILLE TEXAS????

Well everyone...I'm off to lurk in other places...

BOB
Old 03-19-2002, 08:54 PM   #58  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Hey All

Wanted to get in a post before it got too late and I wouldn't have any time to do so. Got home just a little bit ago, nothing exciting to tell you about as far as the day goes, I guess I'm just a bore!!!

I hand delivered Lauren's letter of acceptance to the head of the VPA (Visual & Preforming Arts) today. She told me there were 138 kids that applied and tried out and 30 ended up making it into the program. Out of Lauren's school, there were a total of 4 kids who made it into the program. We have an orientation on April 17th to learn more about the program for next year. The poor woman, I told her how happy I was and she said "you are one of only 30 happy parents, I have a lot of angry parents to contend with now." Hey, we all think our kids are talented, the best, etc. etc., but if Lauren hadn't of made it I surely wouldn't be pissed to the point of calling and complaining, competition is fierce and they just can't accept everyone, and parent's have to accept the fact that not everyone can get in the school. Oh, proud Mom moment if you all don't mind-Lauren is taking all honors courses next year!!!! Can you see me beaming?? Hopefully I'll also be beaming next year when report cards come out.

Here's a TUESDAY TIP Need more fiber? Unprocessed bran has 35 calories for just 1/3 cup and 8 grams of fiber!!! I'm sure many of us could find a way to incorporate this into our daily meals!!!

ROSALIE, it was such a pleasure to FINALLY get to meet you! You made this SB GET TOGETHER a possibility, so thanks! It sounds like you had a fun-filled vacation and a very full week that you were in Florida. I'm glad the weather cooperated. I'm sure the scale will go back down quickly as you get back into your regular routine-not to worry.

BOB, hmm, you do have that ricotta, the Sargento Lite? I'm going to ask my Publix why they don't have it. BUT, at least I have the cottage cheese!!!! Going to check for the pretzels tomorrow. Too bad they can't send Eli to Sarasota to train for the drive-thru at his new store-then again, the two of you together would take down the whole city!!! LOL!!! I'll give your message to your Sweetie-I'd tell her to return the coffee if the cheaper one is just as good-people are nuts to pay high prices for their caffeine fixes-like that Jamacian Blue Mtn. coffee-that stuff is expensive!!!!

HAPPY, glad to hear your Uncle is on the mend. Delray isn't far from Palm Beach. How long are you going for?? I don't think it's such a bad drive. Hey, there's a NUTRITION S'MART that's new somewhere in WPB if you have the time to go, I can get you the address. Possibly a Whole Foods too. Too bad things have gotten nasty after the death of your friend. She's probably turning in her grave over what's going on. There's no happy medium on stuff like this. Good going on your walk-hey, it use to take me over 20 minutes, something like 24 minutes to do a mile when I was so heavy and started walking, so you are doing great!!!!

MEL, okay, so if your legs give way while we are together next week, we'll just say you have squaters rights! LOL!! So, are we ready for some OLE, OLE?? CARBOLITE?? MEETING ME?????????? Oye vey! Heck, I didn't even ask, are you doing Passover dinner at your Brother's house? I can understand about people not believing you've once had a weight problem, many think I am joking, and then I pull out my fat picture and watch them go bug-eyed! You said I still think of myself as obese and was dumbfounded that she would say that to me and I truly feel the same exact way. I have a hard time not wanting to go into the Lane Bryant or the Avenue to buy clothes, I still have trouble with thinkin people are looking at me when I am eating something (like they use to when I was heavy, and looked at me with disgust as like, why is she eating that, doesn't she know she needs to lose weight). I wish I could easily have an attitude adjustment, but I think in time, it will come. I've just recently gotten through this weight loss issue I've had for almost 40 years and things aren't going to change over night, it takes time. Oye, will we be kibbutzing next week!!! You should of got the list-e-mailed it a bit ago-let me know if you don't get it.

BETH, would love to have you come visit the DETOX DUNGEON!!! Really though, try cutting back on the artificial sweeteners somehow, it may help. The EZEKIEL BREAD, I know the green bag is fine and if I'm not mistaken, I think it's the orange one as well, but do check the label just to make sure. If you want a sandwich, do what I do and use just one slice and slice it in half with a good, sharp serated knife. Cereal is a good starchy carb to eat, esp. if it's something high in fiber like FIBER ONE. Helps in more ways than 1 Oh, my fingers ARE crossed!!! Good luck to him!!!

FRUIT, when I went to p/u Michael at his friends house the other day, they had a Cockatoo, and it was really interesting to know that they emit a white powdery substance. The Mother showed me when she swiped her hand across the wall, next to the cage, how it looked like powder. Says if you wear a dark shirt it shows up, but comes off easily too-something I never knew before!!! Don't worry about the 1/2lb, just focus on eating better on a day-to-day basis!!!

KIMMY, you are a .7 and hubby is a solid 1, right? Hey, he actually let you take his measurements? What a guy!!! Eli is DEFINITELY an apple. He's a spittin body image of Homer Simpson-oh boy, I hope BOB doesn't read this, I'll get a talking to big time!!!!

POOCH, I missed that movie, but I'm sure I could relate to it!! I sometimes feel like a parent I saw on TV long ago that sat outside her home in a lawn chair with a sign that said she was on strike. I feel like that on a daily basis. Glad to hear you got a good talk in with DH and to know that you may be a FL SB GAL in 1-2 years. Good luck to your DS in getting in the magnet school-it's like waiting for a college letter, isn't it! There's only one or two middle schools that have magnet programs that I know of in our district as well-very hard to get into. I wish him a lot of luck-let us know what happens!!!!

SHEANN, I truly believe it's the stress that's making you eat off plan and once your Mom is better you'll be able to concentrate better on yourself. Good luck and best wishes to her. Please let us all know how things are going for her, and you!!!

MONET, slap me with a wet WW noodle!!!! I thought I went through the BIO BOARD and got everyone's bday. FORGIVE ME!! I would NEVER leave you out intentionally!!!!! How are you planning on celebrating tomorrow??? I've never had Maytag BC but have definitely heard about it, and it's price-what makes it so good????

QUILTER, thank you so much for the e-card you sent Lauren. She's been reading all the good wishes on this board and got your card and she's just been in 7th heaven!! Hmmm, Debbie Disease, eh? Well, I must have a good case of my own disease as Eli just threw me out of the kitchen!! LOL!!!

FILLISE, I think Lauren will not only love the school and it's program, but she will more than likely be VERY involved, as well as busy in extra cirricular activities. She loves doing things like that.

ROSE, I know what you mean about people not "getting it", esp. when you say the name of this WOE, then they think LOW CARB, like Atkins. I tell them it's NOT a diet, but a WOE that I will follow the rest of my life-they think I'm nuts, but at least I know I can always have the last laugh.

SOL, hmmm, you have the infamour "LOOK OF DEATH" on film??? Okay, how much do you want for it??? Name your price not to post it. If everyone sees it beforehand, it won't have the impact it should when they deserve to see it, so any price, you name it! Can't wait to see the pictures. I'm going to take mine in after I meet up with MEL and after I return home from NC, I have a bunch of roles. I usually take them to KMART but am not really happy with them lately, may have to find an alternative. Maybe I'll just take one of the rolls there before I go. I actually thought about doing a book, but nixed the idea when we had the potential agave problem. Will await and see what happens with that before I decide if I want to take that idea up again. Thanks for the boost of confidence by the way-I sometimes think I may just be a walking text book with all I've read in the past 2 years about dieting and foods. Okay, so a new family member is on the way-WOO HOO! Any names in mind yet? Boy or girl?? Here's a site that may help you pick something!!

http://www.petrix.com/dognames/ and http://www.cherishedmoments.com/pet-names-main.htm

GRACIOUS, glad to hear DH is home from the hospital finally. Tell him that's NOT the way to get a vacation. Good luck to him. I hope he doesn't experience more pain. Hey, you can always make him feel better by just saying at least men don't have to have babies!!! Just imagine passing something so small hurting, can you imagine a 8lb baby!!! Maybe not, men and pain don't do well together and he probably wouldn't think making any fun of the situation as being funny. Thanks for letting me know that Lindt provided you with the info. Did they give you the calories and sugar grams???? I use to HATE dark chocolate, never would touch it, but now, I absolutely love it and won't even think about eating milk chocolate. The LINDT is very bitter at 85%, maybe try a 60% bar. I only will eat 70% or up bar now. I've never heard of the ROSS brand of bars, but I personally don't want to eat anything with malitol, esp if I am able to eat the real stuff. I guess it's just a matter of preferance. I don't like the way that the companies don't include the whole carb count either, I want to know it all. Just remember, only a 1/2 ounce portion no more than 3 times a week. Like 2 of those square of the Lindt would be a serving.

ADRON, my WILD OATS doesn't carry the agave either, but the one in Vegas does, so there MUST be a way they can get it. I think one o the keys about green tea is to make sure you don't squeeze the tea bag, which may give it a bitter taste if you do. I'm not a big lover of green tea, so maybe on of the other gals can help answer your question better than I. Do you have any small HFS in your area that you can check with about ordering some agave from?? The shipping will kill you either way, buying 2 bottles or a whole case.

TRISH, hey, so you are killing 2 birds with one stone, better to feel icky all at once, don't you think?!? Thanks for the heads up on that water-will see if my HFS has it and check it out.

TONI, we eat a lot of eggplant in our home, I love it! Go to the SEARCH key at the top of the page and click on it. Then put in the word EGGPLANT and then go to SEARCH FORUM and put SUGAR BUSTERS and pick Search entire posts & Show results as posts
SEARCH and you'll see a bunch of posts come up-just click on those that are on the recipe boards and you'll find some recipes on the board that have eggplant. I love eggplant parmigiana, though I don't think there's a recipe on the board for that.

JACK-K, WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!! Glad you've decided to join us! As you can tell from lurking, we're a very friendly bunch and I'm sure you'll feel right at home in no time flat. CONGRATULATIONS on doing so well on SB-50lbs is awesome, esp since it's only been since Oct.-I'm very impressed!!!! Keep up the great work!! When you get a chance, please do post your BIO on the BIO BOARD so we can learn a little more about you. Don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have, even though you are now considered a seaoned SB'er, we're always happy to throw in our 2 cents when asked.

JUDY, A big SB WELCOME TO YOU AS WELL! You've done great so far on SB, I wouldn't worry about the 3lb loss, many factors can come into play with a gain, and it doesn't have to be from cheating. Just in the past week I've gained 4lbs, but I know that it's due to TOM coming any day (due yesterday), and I know from keeping track for 2 years now that I have 2 times a month that I KNOW for sure I'll see a rise on the scale-so don't let it bother you, continue following the plan and exercising and be patient and I promise you, the scale will go right back down. Also, a CONGRATS to both you and DH for quitting smoking, if you can do that, you can definitely win the weight war-we're behind you guys 100%. Don't be afraid to ask questions, we're more than happy to help. As I mentioned to JACK-K, when you get a chance, do post your BIO on the BIO BOARD, love learning more about our wonderful board members!!!

WOW, I'm caught up, at least for now!!

Please remember, TOMORROW IS WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY!!! I surely am not looking forward to it as I know I am way up from last weeks WIW, TOM was due yesterday, so you can only imagine! BUT, I do wish everyone else the best of luck with the metal monster.

Time to get ready for chat-hope to see you all there!!!

Toodles

Debbie
194/124/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 03-19-2002, 09:30 PM   #59  
Bustin' Buddy

Hey chics!

Just skimmed through the posts - glad to see everyone is doing well. Welcome to JACK K & JUDY! Sounds like you 2 are off to a great start! You'll like it here - we are one crazy bunch!
That half a pound was gone this morning - now just to work on the other 2! If I can take one off by tomorrow I'll be where I was last WIW - 267. I'd be happy with that being that I SO BLEW IT!

TRISH: I think it was you that asked about the cockatoo - if not correct me please! I think both birds talk. I am definately no bird expert at all but I THINK the cockatoo talks more than the cockatiel (sp?). I think that story about the bird singing that song is hilarious! I think I would have peed in my pants!

DEB: I read last night about that white dust/powder. Actually, alot of the stuff I read about last night is kinda making me NOT want the bird! So, now I'm unsure. I'm actually getting the bird from a friend. I tutor her daughter and instead of her paying me she is giving me one of her newborns - she raises many types of birds. So, hopefully I'm not making a bad decision. I'm definately gonna read up on it some more!

Well, ladies and gentlemen.....see y'all tomorrow!

Missy
284/268/170
Old 03-19-2002, 10:40 PM   #60  

Evening Everyone!

WELCOME NEWBIES!!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MONET AND THUNDERWOMAN!!!

Gracious: I'm not sure where Emminence, MO is located. I was born in a town called Poplar Bluff, MO in the Ozarks. Is that close?
Glad that your husband is home and I hope that he will not be in too much pain when he passes the stone from his bladder.

Thank you everyone for the prayers and good wishes for my Mom. She had her surgery today and everything went well. The mass on her ovary was not cancer, the gallbladder was removed with no problems and there were no stones lodged in the bile duct. So.... again thank you all.

Debbie: Congratulations Proud Mom and Congratulations to Lauren!!!

My son has two cockatiels. His do not talk but his parakeet does. He parakeet says "hello" , whistles and immitates the telephone ringing. It's wierd.

My Mom's Doctor told her that she will have to lose 50 pounds and watch her sugar and fat intake and of course exercise (she is borderline diabetic). She said that she was on Sugar Busters way of eating. He kind of grimmaced until I explained what it actually was. He though of it as a fad diet.

Have a great WIW. I am terrified to step on the scales tomorrow but I have to face the music.

Sheann
287/271.5?/150
Closed Thread