Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: What 1 statement below best describes why you chose now to try and lose weight?
I have a special event that's in the near future. 0 0%
To feel healthier and live longer 7 21.88%
My Dr. told me I better do it, or else! 1 3.13%
My husband/SO encouraged me to try. 0 0%
I hated what I was seeing in the mirror 12 37.50%
My clothes didn't fit anymore 3 9.38%
Someone made a comment about my weight 1 3.13%
I just knew it was time to take charge 5 15.63%
Finally hopped on the scale and was shocked! 2 6.25%
Nothing above so I choose, OTHER 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 02:40 PM   #46  

Default oops

sorry guys, some how I posted the same message 2xs! I am not sure what happened!

Thanks Pravda
Old 01-16-2002, 03:32 PM   #47  

Good WIW!!!! Hope you all did well. I of course didn't but i am still hanging in there. I have fallen off and gotten bruised but trying to keep my big butt on this wagon! I swear stress and food go hand and hand in my book!!! All my showers are over yeah! I didn't do as good as i planned but did cut back on the calories during the day so that might have helped! I hate that scale!!! I am staying off for the week!
Walked 4 miles today. Tomorrow i am taking my daughter sledding soooo that will be my excersise.

Viv-Hope you find something else that fits your schedule! And the money you need. I am out of the Ebay thing right now i have some "junk" to put on but i am soooo lazy. Oh well. You sound like your not going to let this get you down! keep up the great attitude!

pravda-wooooooo hoooooooo on the loss!!! keep it up!

tT.V-woooo hoooooo on the water! I try soooooo hard to get enough! It really does help.

Sef-good luck at the gym thing! you sound motivated!

Sol-hang in there a pound is a pound! Excersise is great for your general health right?!!

jmuir-hang in there too!!!! next week will be better maybe this weeks weight and next weeks! woooooo hoooooo!!

Froggie--------woooooooooooo wooooooooo hhoooooooo hoooooooo great on the low!!!

everyone else i forgot "hI" If anyone feels like chatting later i will pop in just let me know in your post or something! I missed it last night and hubby will be gone tonight WOOOO HOOOOOOOO!

Deb---HI!!!!!!!!!

Rhonda
Old 01-16-2002, 03:56 PM   #48  
Goddess

Thumbs down WIW

Hello everyone! It seems that the board has been busy today. Tha's great.

First business. At 240 this morning--same as yesterday but 4 less than last week. So I've got 4 of the 7lb regain gone and just three to go before I'm back to my low of 237. That's a week I'll take happily!

This morning has been busy. That's good because I don't think about food when I'm busy. I have a church dinner tonight but I've seen the menu and should be ok there--as long as I stay away from the desert table. Which I plan to do.

Rhonda--We'll take that wagon ride with you--so you aren't alone! Stress can be a real killer when it comes to staying OP. But feeling guilty to messing up will only add to the stress in the long run. Trust me on this.

Pravda--WOOOHOOO on those 7 lbs! Yes there are far more foods than you originally think there are going to be. As for the Sugar grams--you do have to be careful about the "hidden" sugars. Try very hard not to violate the three gran rule for sugars. Two exceptions that come to mind are milk and tomato products. Lactose is a sugar, but produces a lower glycemic response that glucose or sucrose. So for example, if you have yougurt that has no sugar of any form listed on the lable--those sugar grams are coming from the lactose in the milk. Some people have a problem with that and others don't, so you should see what effect it has on you! There are no sugar addes icecreams that come in at 4 grams or under which should be fine as an occasional treat. Tomato sauce is another one that might be misleading. You have to check the labels carefully because sugar and/or corn syrup are often added to tomato sauce or salsas. But if you check the label and there are no added sugars (starches, dextrins, etc). Then the 8 or 9 grams of sugars listed on the label are from the fructose in the tomatoes. Like lactose, fructose is a sugar, but it produces a much lower glycemic response. This has been long but I hope it helps.

TV--good luck with the thyroid test. Yum--pinto beans! I woldn't worry and just drink as much water as you want with your lunch.

SEF--err, I'm hoping your Mt. Everest doesn't erupt!

VIV--I'm sorry to hear about your no good, rotten, very bad week. You know that in the long term it will likely be for the best, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't s**K for now! I'll be rooting for you to come through this on your feet! OH yeah--I think the feeling slim is more important than what the scale says. Trust the way your clothes fit and the way your feel!

Frog--Hon, I loved it when you talked stern to the Dungeon Mistress! Perhaps we should crown Frog the shoe queen (is there a ta-ra-ra for that?).

Deb--I hope you listen to Frog--it sounds like good advice to me! She's got me ready to go out and get new walking shoes--AND get them properly measured!

Gator--Thanks for the link--I'll read the article when I'm finished here.

Congrats to all this week's losers!

Susan
300/240/150
July 10, 2000
Old 01-16-2002, 04:03 PM   #49  

Default WIW

Well, the scales were a little better today. One pound down from yesterday, so hooray! I've really been chugging the water the last couple of days so maybe that will pay off. I've had to grab a teacher passing by my room a couple of times today so I could get in a potty break. I just found out that one of my former students now in 5th grade had was in a motorcycle wreck last night. She was riding with her dad and the bike flipped. Her little sister is in Sarah's class, so I guess we'll head to the hospital this afternoon to see what's going on. Sarah and the little sister have been big buds since daycare.

Rhroo: Know what you mean about falling off that wagon. I think I have bruised butt syndrome too.

Way to go on the exercise. I can't seem to fit it in.

Pravda: Way to go on the 7 pound loss! I'm not sure about the sugar gram thing in milk products, but I think they're OK since they are naturally there.

Sef: Way cool about the exercise deal. That sounds great.

Viv: Sorry about your job situation. This has happened to Dennis several times. That's why he decided to go into business for himself. Of course, that hasn't progressed too far yet. I'm sure you will find just the right job. The great thing about teaching is that I have the same hours as the kids and even get to see them when they come to my class. No, wait. It's not always great to try to teach your own children in school.

Debbie: I'm with Nascar. Can you sub anything else for the agave?

OK guys. Guess I better go. Check in later.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:30 PM   #50  
Wife, Mother, Goddess

Hola Amiga's!

The Nancemeister is still alive and kicking. Just wanted to report in at 232.....can't remember where I was last week, but since re-starting in January, down 2.

Made a groovy weight board for me and the girls at work that I have posted in my office for "WIW" at work. Did the chart with five pound increments so that can color in our squares as we loose. Of course I have the most pounds to loose!

Well, gotta get back to the grind.

Viv-Don't worry! Things always happen for a reason and something better will soon come your way!
Old 01-16-2002, 04:51 PM   #51  

HI everyone! Just wanted to congratulate all of you who lost or stayed the same and for those of you who had a gain, just keep on trying and it'll happen.

I also wanted to say that I tried the "White Chicken Chili" from the recipie board (can't remember who posted it). It was awsome. I made some baked pita chips to have with it. I did alter the recipie a little bit though. I made it from dried great northern beans and cooked them first, I only put in a 16 oz jar of pace picante with cilantro and I used a packet of White Chicken Chili season mix (no sugar) instead of cumin. I looked for cumin at the grocery store and a small jar was over $6, so I decided to wait and see how we liked the chili first. Everyone thought it was great.

Viv: I am sorry to hear about your layoff. So many people are experiencing that right now. I'm sure something will come around for you that will be better. Hang in there, you are in my prayers.

Frog: Sounds like you really know what you are talking about when it comes to sports shoes. I have a question. Every pair of walking shoes I have bought recently feels great in the store, but when I go out and walk, I end up with blisters. On my right foot (not the left), my instep is almost flat (that's where I get the blisters, along the instep). When I go to buy the shoes, do you know if they can alter the instep somewhat on that foot? Years ago, I almost broke my right ankle and have had lots of problems with it since.

Sorry I have not addressed each of you, but you are in my thoughts and I enjoy reading all of your posts. I will surely try to next time though, because you are all so special even after my lurking here for only a short time.

Everyone have a great day.

Sheann
287/282.5/150
SB since 1/6/02
Old 01-16-2002, 05:29 PM   #52  

Wink Good evening all!

Hey guys. Continuing to feel better. Hope to be able to go for a refresher run by the weekend.

DH has gone to take the VW to the repair shop again! Look forward to Honda hunting this weekend.

Have a pot of black-eyed peas on to boil. Gonna have those and something else tonight. YUM!!!

VIV - Sorry to hear about your job. I suspect it is a mixed blessing from what you've told us. Think of it as freeing you up to move on to something more suitable.

SEF - Wow! The gym sounds great! Wonderful that you are taking advantage of that!

PRAVDA - Way to go on the loss!

TV - I agree with Fillise, drink water when you want! Drinking more before a meal will help you eat less. I guess the only thing I would suggest is not washing your food down. Drink up girl! Cheers!

RHROO - Hope you got good stuff at your showers!

FILLISE - Your post to me made me laugh! A tah-rah-tah! I have been meaning to post that I got a taira hat at Disney. It is a black ball cap with a silver and gray tiara emboidered on the front. There are also little white rhinestones attached just above the points on the crown. On the back the word "Princess" embroidered above the adjustment strap. "Queen" woulda been a little more fun, but the crown hat is too much! I meant to run the race with my tiara on but I forgot too! Are you planning on joining us at the beach this fall? We could eat some Turkey-cue at King's!

NANCE - GO!!! Great to see you back on the board!

SHEANN - Regarding your shoes... My initial impression is that you are an overpronator (OP), meaning that your foot rolls toward the center when you walk, and that your shoe is made for a "regular" pronator. Most women are OPs because of the angle from the hips to the knees (called the Q Angle). The greater this angle the more "knock-kneed" a person appears. If you are an OP, you need a shoe that is designed for that foot type. These are usually referred to as motion control shoes. To learn more about motion control shoes check out Road Runner Sports . Motion control shoes are constructed to support your foot where you need it. They tend to have a wider footbed, a straight last, and more arch reinforcements to prevent rolling to the center (don't confuse this with padding). There is no amount of padding that will compensate for a poorly constructed or ill-fitting shoe. So don't let a sales person sell you that stuff. The exception to that is replacement insoles. Some of the insoles such as Sorbathanes or Spencos (~$45.00 and up) are good alternatives/additions to proper footwear. I suggest that you look for walking shoes online that are for over-pronators, then go to a specialty store and try them on. Remember to buy them 1/2 size bigger than your larger foot! Let me know if you need anymore advice, I'm happy to help.

Will say tata for now!

Peace,
FROG
Old 01-16-2002, 06:34 PM   #53  
Mel

Default what's wrong with water at meals?

I must of missed a few pages in the book? I chug water without meals, before meals, during meals, after meals, while thinking about meals, cleaning up from meals- about the only time I'm not sipping is when I'm asleep. Is there a reason not to keep this up? I certainly get my water in every day!

Have been finding new sore spots from yesterday's reliving of my youth on the ski slopes. At one point yesterday, I realized I was FOR SURE the oldest woman on the entire mountain. Since I was trying to ski like I did at 22(and I was a college team racer), the one wipeout I had was a doozy and even rattled my teeth. Since it was the middle of the week and not real busy, there were instantly 2 ski instructors and a ski patrol guy surrounding me. They looked pretty surprised when I got up again, but today during my workout I realized my neck is pretty sore and the backs of my legs are bruised. Don't even remember how that happened.

Pravda- Way to go on the 7 lb loss! That must feel great. Keep in mind that it does slow down tho, so don't get upset if you don't see that much every week. I know I was pretty annoyed around week 3 that it wasn't falling off like in week 1. But your off to a great start! Do you notice any change yet in how you feel?

Frog- WHooooo- go run another marathon! Congrats on the loss, and on the tiara! I want one of those. Maybe I can be "Heavy Metal Queen"

Rhoo- Sounds like there's a baby boom in your neck of the woods. It's real hard to stay legal at all those showers. Seems like every one I've been to has that bowl of marshmallow cream, fruit and coconut stuff. AT least I think that's what's in it! Good for you to try!

Sef- The exercise deal sounds great. There definitly are some advantages to being a senior. I'd LOVE not to pay for a trainer! Let us know how it goes. Maybe you can get a "heavy Metal Queen" hat too!

Viv- So sorry about your crummy week and job loss. Hubby and I have been alternatly going through it about every year. Isn't the computer industry great fun? Don't give up on what you want. I've decided that until we're starving, or can't pay the mtg., I'm home when ds gets home! Good luck!

Hello to everyone I missed- I made a HUGE pot of chili and it's time. My tummy is insisting.

mel
Old 01-16-2002, 06:57 PM   #54  

Good afternoon everyone..

I didn't lose anything - but then - its only been 4 days and I am telling myself that this is more about my health and feeling good than the weight.. Right.... Remind me about this in a few weeks..

I is SOOOO cold here in Colorado - we had snow today. At least I don't have to make the long drive tomorrow.

Feel good about getting back into an exercise routine. Did a half hour of step aerobics this AM.

Wow - there sure are a lot of posts now. I will try to keep up but sometimes it is hard to catch up.

Rhonda - I think you were just new to the board before I left.. So glad you have stuck to it. A 4 mile walk is a lot!

Viv - sorry about your job loss- but I really believe that things happen for a reason. There is a better job for you - out there - and you will be happier in the longrun. I will be looking myself next summer (I am retiring from my current company next Jan) and understand the apprehension. People tell me that the jobs are out there- it just takes a little longer to find them.. Keep your chin up!!

Sef - you are a riot!! Mt Everest? I'm 52 now and look forward to all those perks you write about.. Enjoy all the pampering at the hospital - sounds great.

Meliris - I sure envy your skiing adventure. I like cross country - tried downhill once (you cannot live in Denver if you never tried) and never went back. I spent the afternoon with my knees knocking in the bar drinking Wild Turkey... I'm also chugging down a LOT of water... feels good and helps the skin!

Frog - sounds like you were sick.. Hope you are feeling better.

Sorry if I left some of you out - I have to start dinner so I can fall asleep by 7PM!! Sob...

Have a wonderful evening.
Ricki
120/120/110
Old 01-16-2002, 07:20 PM   #55  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERY BUDDY~~~~

Hope everyone is having a good evening..It's sooooooo nice over here on the West Coast of FLA....mid 60's and the trade winds are blowing...windows are up .....SKEETER is snoring on his pillow....watching TOWN and COUNTRY ....funny movie...

Had some home made veggie soup
for supper...YUMMY!!!!!

FROGGIE a dirty martini (with VODKA of course) is made the usual way, but then olive juice is added and the olives are stuffed with BLUE CHEESE OH...MY....GAWD.....IT'S....MOLICIOUS!!!! We must have one...

DEB...I so hope your feet are better...I'm sure ELI has been rubbing them...if no....GET TO IT!!! Are you soaking them or anything? Did you go and look at shoes today? Be sure to save the receipt...I know that FROG will owe me a DIRTY MARTINI in OCTOBER!!!

SUSAN...did you try the avacados, lime and salt???

GATOR....thanks for the link...I'll read it in a little while..Good thoughts for your husband...

VIV........sorry about your job, but it sounds like it's a good thing to get away from that jerk!!! It will be good to see you on the board more..

HELLO EVERYONE ELSE....

BOB
Old 01-16-2002, 07:55 PM   #56  

Default It’s a WONDERFULLL WEIGH-IN (or not) WEDNESDAY!!!

Hello All!

Hope the scales were nice to each of you. I avoided mine and will continue to do so until I get to the dr’s in 3 weeks. But here’s the deal. I MUST, MUST, MUST tell you about lunch. One of our staff is leaving, so the seven of us went out to say good-bye and eat. Well, I had my SB watchers SEF and VIV with me today and let me tell you they did great. And I did great too. I opted for the salmon on a whole wheat bun. Came with home-made chips or cole slaw. I opted for the slaw, but didn’t eat it because it was loaded with onions. Eeek! Then there was talk of dessert. Get this they got two desserts and decided to share. One was something called an Italian Love Cake and the other was a piece of butterscotch pie. Oh my gosh . . . they both looked wonderful. BUT I PASSED ON BOTH OF THEM. Yep, not even on tiny eeny bitty bite. It felt great to know that I do still have the power to say, “No thanks!” May pals I carried with me today really served me well. And I couldn’t wait to get home tonight to report such good behavior. So there it is. Probably made a mountain out of a molehill, but to me it’s Mt. Everest!!!

MEL---Sorry to hear that the skiing gave you some “leftovers.” Hope you’re feeling better by the time you read this. If my thighs quivered, I’d probably start an earthquake, so I’m glad it was you who went skiing. LOL Also, thanks for the article. I really liked the analogy of the paper towel roll. That is so true. Hey, congrats on holding your low. Good work!!!

FROG---I loved the image you posted. That’s too cute! Also wanted to tell you I smiled when I read that you used your yoga breathing techniques during the race. Good girl. Be one with the road, be one with the sun. Oops, I forgot . . . be one with this raindrop. Be one with that raindrop. LOL

BKM---That’s so great that we have the same calendar. You are right! Today’s is the BEST! I want to take it and enlarge it on a color photocopy machine and hang it every where in my line of vision. I also like her art, because she uses so many redheads. That’s me and I feel a natural affinity.

ZANNE---I love your point about being willing to give something a second chance. You are so right. That was so cool that you allowed yourself the opp to check BFL out again and this time it clicked. So cool for you!

SOL---Do I have to give you the label of “Exercise Freak?” Just kidding. I LOL at your surpise over your missing the walking. That’s just super. You must be feeling really great, physically, emotionally. Every which way a person can feel good. Girlfriend, I am so glad you reserved Thursday for me. The great thing about my new thing of “taking” you all with me is that I think about you specifically during that day and send good thoughts your way, too. And I have to say that you made me LOL so hard about the corderoy fire. That was too funny. I was watching Absolutely Fabulous the other day and the character with the “weight issues” had a great line. “My goal is for my clothing to stop leaving red marks all over my body.” I stood up said a hefty “AMEN” and threw in a “hallelujah” for good measure!!! I remembered there was something else I wanted to tell you. Remember last week when you were talking about your wedding ring? Well, last week I didn’t wear my diamond two days because it was feeling really tight on my finger. That was so embarrassing and upsetting, because I love my diamond. I think that was a turning point for me to get moving and get back OP. It’s felt much better this week. But you should see the indentation my band has made on my finger. When I move the ring up to my knuckle, my finger under it looks like a cinched waistline. Hey, who said I asked for a humbling experience today??? LOL

NASCAR---Congrats on the 1.28 miles. AWESOME!!! I found it very interesting that your next sentence said that you slept well last night. I know that I always sleep much better when I’m exercising. It’s another plus and incentive to MOVE. That’s for sure. Don’t be discouraged about the gain. You’ll get where you want to be. Just keep on trying.

VIV---Oh, honey, I am so sad to hear that your week from **** started and I wasn’t around with my handy crying shoulder. That’s really bad that the big L loser of a boss laid you off. I’d be interested to know what that stuff is you are supposed to sign. Be very careful. But you are smart and the boss man isn’t, so I shouldn’t worry about you. Keep your chin up. You are an incredibly SMART, CREATIVE, FUN, PERSONABLE, KNOWLEDGEABLE, KIND and so on and so forth person. Somebody will key in on that and scoop you right up. I just hope the scooper can work within your guidelines. Keep me posted on what’s going on. Don’t stress. Okay, stress a little, but stay away from the Skor’s. {{{{{{{{{{{{MAJOR HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

SEF---That hospital workout place sounds great!! I am so excited for you. Do you think that the trainer will be able to advise you on anything that might help when arthur comes knocking? It will be interesting to see what he says and if you feel any differently after starting this new program. Good luck! By the way, I watch you and you were great today. You really helped me, because that butterscotch pie sure looked tempting. Thanks, friend!

PRAVDA---Congrats on the 7 pound loss. That’s fantastic. You must be really working hard. Do you like writing down everything you eat? I think it can actually be fun. (Dont’ think I’m a nerd, please.) Keep up the good work.

FILLISE---Congrats on the four pound loss. That’s so great. I am doing the happy dance for you.

NANCEMEISTER---So glad to see your post. I like the idea of the chart at work. What a great way to keep everybody’s hands out of the cookies or candies or whatever. Hope life is good for you. Feels like forever since we’re talked. Keep smiling!

Well, that’s it for now. Glad to hear that so many of you had losses today. And the great thing is even those with gains seem to be “okay” with it. There’s a great spirit brewing in this board right now. It’s so good to be a part of it.

Take care.
Kim
Old 01-16-2002, 08:52 PM   #57  

Angry

Hi everyone!
I am finding this board hard to figure out! I think I've done it right now - but if this ends up in the wrong place, I apologize. I was on the other SB bulletin board but I can't get anyone to respond to me. I wanted to check my menus - will you tell me if I'm ok? (yes, I read the book but you know how it is).
This is day 3. Each day so far I had a small glass of oj before leaving for work. About an hour or so later, I had scrambled eggs w/cheese and bacon.
Lunch: day 1: tuna salad on whole wheat pita (the whole pita)
day2: same thing (yes, I'm boring).
day 3: pnut butter & all fruit on SGWW S/F bread (2 slices)
Dinner: day 1: country style ribs, green beans, salad
day 2: nachos, made with ground beef, seasoning, fat free beans, cheese, a little sour cream and instead of chips used triscuit thin and crispy cracker/chips (this was very delicious)
day 3: checker burger w/cheese on a Merita "lite wheat bun" (3gms sugar, 20 carbs, 5 gms fiber).
Snacks: I've been having plain yogurt sweetened with Smuckers all fruit and splenda. some cheese, a few strawberries, a spoon of pnut butter. I walked a 1 1/2 miles on Mon and tonite. I drink coffee with half & half and splenda (usually 2 cups in the am). I havn't had any sugar (YEAH)! and so far do not feel deprived. So am I on the right track or am I having to many carbs? Are the ATkins shakes legal? I have to work on my water because I never get what I am suppossed to.

Nascar- Did you used to be on the Atkins friends site? If so, I think I used to talk to you there.
Thanks you guys for the advise!!! I'll keep you posted on my progress!
Sue
Old 01-16-2002, 09:18 PM   #58  
karen3000

Well, I finally fell victim to the post-snatcher. Just when I really don't have a lot of time.

Anyway, glad to see all the losses today. You guys are doing great. I was way too indulgent the last few months and I have a ways to go before I will be posting a legitimate loss. The numbers are going down, though!

VIV - hang in there! Things happen for a reason and I'm sure everyone on the board has a story to back that up! Enjoy the downtime until you find that next great job!

GATOR - you, too, hang in there and I hope your husband's situation resolves itself to your benefit!

Two questions: (1) Does anyone have any experience with Joyce Vedral books or exercise videos? I ordered a used book, one of her older ones, and am impressed with what she appears to preach. I'll see more when the book gets here!

(2) Has anyone used the sugar replacement sold by Suzanne Sommers, I think it is called Sommersweet? HSN had her on over the weekend and I saw the sales pitch for it. Use it just like sugar and can even carmelize with it. She also sells a cookbook with just desserts in it. It's not cheap, though, and I just bought a bunch of agave, so I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

I'm posting a cheesecake recipe to the board. It is the basic Philly 15 minute cheesecake that I tinkered with. I thought it turned out pretty good. If any of you try it, let me know what you think!

Gotta run!

Karen

Old 01-16-2002, 09:24 PM   #59  

Hi all!

Congrats to everyone who lost!
Just a quickie question!
What are some easy, portable lunches to take to work?
Old 01-16-2002, 09:34 PM   #60  

Evening Ladies!
I'm on a roll two posts in one day! got my walk in 2 nights in a row!
Quilter - Thanks for the encouragement!
slaphappy - I visited the Atkins site a few times but I was under my name. I just couldn't handle all the protein, my body was ill! So my Dr. suggested SB. It is more balanced.

Ok tried to get creative with supper tonight and it was no good! threw the chicken out. DH tried to eat it but finally gave up and said this is not good! LOL!! He had no clue it was a experiment! Oh well. Gotta find some good chicken recipes!

Frog - So when is the girls trip in October? I may be able to come.

Deb - hope your feet are better!

nite nite all!
Closed Thread