3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Sugar Shakers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sugar-shakers-62/)
-   -   Thinking of trying this. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sugar-shakers/118764-thinking-trying.html)

broken wings 07-25-2007 04:14 AM

Thinking of trying this.

So I've been looking at the different diets and this one struck my fancy. I can't really start till next month sometime, but I was wondering if it really is as easy as it looks. I see I can still eat all kinds of goodies and hopefully still have my sweet tea with splenda. I will be buying the book next month after the purchase of my new computer and turbo jam..I think. Hopefully this plus turbo jam will really work for me. I have like a 100 pounds I would like to use.

I know everyone is different, but is anyone willing to share how long it took you to lose how ever much you have lost? Did you combine this with a frequent work out?

All help will be wonderful!

Does anyone have any input on this diet?
Do you enjoy this one?
Has it worked well for you?

Oh and one last thing, this website is awesome and everyone is soo nice and upbeat.

Ellen 07-25-2007 11:15 PM

There is a good group of us who have been doing Sugarbusters for a while. It really IS as easy as it sounds! We have a few fairly regular posters who have lost over 100 pounds on Sugarbusters. If you come join us on the monthly support thread, you will meet them. The board is slow for the summer, but it should pick up a bit once school starts back.

I have been following Sugarbusters for a number of years after my doctor suggested it. He told me it was the healthiest diet out there. I think he is right. I am diabetic, and I am able to manage my blood sugar fairly well when I follow it carefully. I have a lot of metabolic problems in addition to being diabetic, like thyroid issues, and metabolic syndrome, so losing weight is really hard for me. When I am really careful and getting regular workouts, this diet works. I have tried Atkins, and it doesn't work for me. Weight Watchers has too many choices, and I end up gaining while following it. It is rather frustrating!

As for frequent workouts, if you get in the habit of working out every day, you will feel SO much better, and more energetic. I highly recommend it. If I had started working out for just 30 minutes every day ten years ago, I would never have developed diabetes. Even just a 30 minute walk each day will help keep you from developing insulin resistance, and keeps you fit. I hope you will be able to work in 30 minutes a day. I promise you it is worth it! And not just for weight loss!

Oh, and if you don't want to buy the book, try the library. I live in the Atlanta area, and my local library (Gwinnett County) has it.

Looking forward to getting to know you! I hope you decide to join us on Sugarbusters!

blondebritbrat17 07-26-2007 12:57 AM

huh.. Thanks for the information Monet.. I'm insulin resistant and have had a hard time losing weight. I've only lost 14 pounds in 10 months. But the advice I was given was very general and it's taken me lots of time and research to start thinking about this kind of eating.

broken wings 07-26-2007 02:40 AM

Well I can get it on Ebay for about $6. So I was thinking of just purchasing it so I'll have my own personal copy at hand at all times. I don't really know what you have to follow in the diet it's self since I have not had a chance to read up on it, but all that should change once I have a copy on hand. I think tonight I will do alittle research on it.

broken wings 07-26-2007 03:44 AM

So I've read some stuff on the internet. Basic food lists and some other info on this diet. Is it basically sticking the the guidline foods, staying away from the ones that are listed as bad and working out? Oh and perportions? [I think I spelled that wrong or something.. sounds right inside this crazy mind =P]

How do you know how many calories are in something if you make it yourself?
Is this diet based on calorie in take?

Ellen 07-26-2007 08:56 AM

BROKEN: The diet is based on the Glycemic Index. You do not count calories. You really don't have to. You basically avoid the high glycemic stuff like white flour, white sugar, white rice, white potatoes, corn, and concentrate on foods low on the glycemic index. It is very easy to do. About the only thing you need to count is the number of starchy carbs a day. Three or less is recommended for weight loss. Whole grains are allowed, like whole wheat bread, brown rice, and even sweet potatoes are ok. You MUST read labels. Processed foods can not have more than 3 grams of sugar per serving, and should not contain any of the avoids. Enriched wheat flour is just another way of saying white flour. It must say whole wheat and be only whole wheat flour. There are tons of available products now. When I first stated, there was no whole grain pastas, or frozen waffles. Now you can get those kinds of things. Portion sizes are important, but to begin with, you want to 'get legal'. Get the sugar out and all the no no's, then work on the portions. Someone told me that when I first started, and I admit there were times I ate almost a whole box of Triscuits. After a few weeks, the cravings died, and I was able to work on the portion control.

BLONDE: Are you taking any meds for the insulin resistance? Seriously, if you do not want to become a diabetic, walk! I am always amazed at what it does for my blood sugar levels! Exercise is the best way to heal insulin resistance.

Come join us on the support thread. If you have any questions I can help with, feel free to send me a PM.

SARose1961 07-26-2007 05:08 PM

Hi,

This diet is based on eating foods that are low on the glycemic index in moderation of course. I dont really count calories. I stick with foods allowed on the diet and healthy portion size. Lately I have been exercising about 1 hr a day (the last couple of weeks before it was about 45 minutes every other day).

I just found this really helpful website about the glycemic index online: http://optimalhealth.cia.com.au/gi17.html