Success Stories! Share your success stories! Let's work together to make this the busiest forum of all!

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 05:20 PM   #1  

Height: 5'0"

Default The compliments keep on coming!

Last week four people at work commented/complimented me on my weight loss - three people in one day! I have not made a big deal at work about my weight loss efforts, but I was beginning to wonder when people would notice. Thirty pounds on a five feet tall person makes a pretty big difference.

I didn't begin my weight loss efforts to look better, but it is really nice when people notice. I have a new co-worker who said he just couldn't imagine me being heavier. It is kind of amazing to think that any new person I meet from now on will never know the fat me. Overweight, yes, but not obese.

I still have a ways to go, but I've already gained so much in terms of health and self-esteem. I practice self-restraint every day, and the more I practice, the easier it gets. My taste buds are not in control any more!

I also had a non-scale victory today. I tried on a pair of regular width boots and was able to zip them all the way up with no strain on the material. It has been YEARS since I could wear a tall boot with my big calves.

I don't ever want to go back to the way I was - unhealthy, unable to look anyone in the eye, avoiding social situations, avoiding old friends and even my family. I didn't go to my twentieth high school reunion because of my weight, but you can bet I'll be at number twenty five.

It feels good to be me.

"There was shrinkage."
Old 09-18-2005, 05:25 PM   #2  
Determined

Talking

That is so awesome!!!! Congratulations girl!
Old 09-18-2005, 05:27 PM   #3  

Woo Hoo! Those are some awesome NSV's!! Isn't it wonderful when others start to notice how all that hard work has started to pay off? Good for you Autumn, you're on the right track and doing great!

Beverly
Old 09-18-2005, 05:49 PM   #4  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Excellent!!!!!! YAY!!

Congratulations on all your hard work!!!!!

And BOY, can I relate to this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Night
I have a new co-worker who said he just couldn't imagine me being heavier. It is kind of amazing to think that any new person I meet from now on will never know the fat me.
The very best compliment I've EVER gotten in my life was the look of absolute disbelief on my new co-worker's face when she found out I used to be 40 pounds heavier. She said "There is NO WAY you were ever that heavy!" LOL...I had to bring in a fat photo the next day because she didn't believe me . I still grin when I think about it.

Congratulations again!!!
Old 09-18-2005, 06:37 PM   #5  

Loves Bassets, you are a braver woman than I. My co-worker did ask to see a "fat" picture of me, but those old pictures still cause me a lot of pain. There is so much emotional bagage tied up with being overweight. I guess I'm afraid the pictures might get a reaction like, "Wow, you really were fat." I'm not ready to hear something like that. (My co-worker is VERY outspoken.)

Sometimes I feel like being heavier in the past is a dark secret that I want to hide from all the new people I meet. That isn't a very healthy attitude, but I do feel a lot of shame for letting my weight get out of control. I am actually embarrassed to tell people how much weight I've lost, and that I've got almost 20 pounds more to go. My shame at being overweight is an issue that has to be resolved if I want to go forward with a physically, mentally, and spiritually healthy life. The pounds weigh down both the body and the soul.

I try very hard to be encouraged by people's compliments, which is why I started this thread. Yet, I have a very hard time enjoying the compliments because I sort of feel I don't deserve a compliment for doing the things I should have been doing all along.

Now that I"ve thoroughly depressed every one, I'll stop.

Donna
Old 09-18-2005, 06:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 268(2003) 186/182/146

Height: 5'5"

Isn't it great when people notice!!! Great job!
Old 09-19-2005, 12:55 AM   #7  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesBassets
Excellent!!!!!! YAY!!

Congratulations on all your hard work!!!!!

And BOY, can I relate to this :

The very best compliment I've EVER gotten in my life was the look of absolute disbelief on my new co-worker's face when she found out I used to be 40 pounds heavier. She said "There is NO WAY you were ever that heavy!" LOL...I had to bring in a fat photo the next day because she didn't believe me . I still grin when I think about it.

Congratulations again!!!

I can relate to that one too. Someone new started work the other week, and thinks I'm a chunky but not obese fitness freak, and wonders where I get the motivation to keep going to the gym from.

She clearly doesn't know about the 70lb that I'm desperate to stop coming back
Old 09-30-2005, 08:14 AM   #8  

My new nick name at work is skinny, everytime a customer comes in hey skinny whats up..

Their is this one customer, he went on and on the other day.. Omg you look great i'm so proud of you. Said to my boss arent you proud of her look at how great she looks yadda yadda yadda, just makes me want to hug you.. does your hubby get jealous. Hmm not yet, who knows when I get to goal..

charmed
Old 10-01-2005, 07:23 PM   #9  

Last week at work one of the students asked me if I had lost weight. She said I was tiny. I'm not really tiny, but it was sweet of her to notice the weight loss and give me such a compliment. I appreciate the kind words from everyone who has noticed my weight loss, but the one person who should have noticed - my boyfriend - has said nothing. I'm not fishing for compliments from him, but I would like him to acknowledge that I am succeeding at this difficult task. My boyfriend is extremely thin, so he can't be feeling pressured to lose weight himself. He has never made any unkind remarks about my weight, but I find it hard to imagine he would want me to stay overweight.

Has anybody else gotten the "silent treatment" concerning your weight loss from those who are nearest and dearest to you?
Old 10-11-2005, 07:00 PM   #10  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

hmmm....no but I would think that he might have noticed the 30 lbs as that is a big chunk to have lost. Especially since (and I hope you don't take offence) that clothes sometimes camafloge the body somewhat and he might have had the opportunity to see you otherwise at times. My dh loves me no matter what the size and has seen me -/+ many pounds. I think he doesn't see 'fat' but loves the 'me'. 17 years strong and it still seems like yesterday that we got married!! I wish you lots of success and continue with your journey!!! good luck!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 04:12 AM   #11  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

About "other halves" well mine went away for a week and I'd been working my butt off all week exercising and eating right. When he came back I said, "Do I look thinner?" and he takes a good look at me, from different angles, tilting his head, getting me to turn round etc, then he says, "You look about the same as last week!" Thanks!

I don't think he said much when I actually started losing weight, but now when I moan I've had a fat day, he tells me I'm a lot littler than I used to be! He also tells me when I think I've had a binge day that I've actually eaten loads less than I used to!

He is also exceedingly thin - I HATE him! He really doesn't understand why I need to take sandwiches out with me to stay OP or why I can be mega picky about food sometimes! Or why I need to go shopping for specific items (that are healthy) when there's enough food in the house. Sometimes men just don't get it! Your boyf may not realise quite how much effort it's taking! Especially if it's something he's never had to do!
Old 10-12-2005, 09:06 AM   #12  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

yes....my ex husband refused to acknowledge one lb lost. Absolutely refused!! You would think when your wife looses 100lbs that you would notice, right?

I guess he had his reasons......but it can be extremely frustrating when someone you love wont support your efforts.

My advice, dont worry about him, just do it for yourself. Your the one that has to live with you everyday, look at yourself in the mirror, and be happy.

You've done a great job so far, dont let other ppl sidetrack your great work
Closed Thread