Success Stories! Share your success stories! Let's work together to make this the busiest forum of all!

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 05:25 PM   #1  

Default how long does it take to see results?

Hi all....

Congrats to all of u who have lost tons of weight together.

I have been trying to lose some...and have worked out religously for three weeks...and have not seen any change in my dress size. Am i doing something wrong....i do cardio 6 days a week..and weight lifting twice.

I'd be grateful for y'all opinion on how long it takes to see noticeable results.

thanks
Old 07-30-2005, 05:35 PM   #2  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

I think it takes a while to see results at first. For example, I changed my eating habits from eating only one or two meals a day to eating three meals and two snacks. Although I was eating a lot less than before and including regular exercise, I didn't see any results in the first month, in fact I gained two pounds. But the second month I lost about six pounds. I think it takes a while for your body to adjust, so don’t loss your focus!
Old 07-30-2005, 06:34 PM   #3  
LOSING TO LIVE LONGER!

It depends on so many things. Your height, weight, how much weight you have to lose, how your built, bone structure, lean muscle mass etc etc... Everyone is so different. In general, the less you have to lose the less likely you are going to see drastic changes. Even with 68lbs down I dont see a huge difference in myself but of course others do. It is also in the eye of the beholder so dont get discouraged if noone notices. Exercise and weight loss are also about feeling better, not just looking better.
Good luck!
Kim
Old 07-30-2005, 10:02 PM   #4  

It really does count. If you are doing a lot of exercise, especially muscle building ones, you may want to start with the tape measure instead of the scale as your indicator...muscle weighs more than fat, and at the begining, you may find your weight doesn't seem to drop, while your measurements shrink.

Your metabolism will also count. If you diet too low, your body may go into starvation mode and hold on the weight. Some conditions make it hard to start losing weight.

But if you are eating sensibly, and keep a reasonable calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

You may want (and I recommend that you do this) write down everything you eat and keep a running total of your calories or points or whatever, so you can look back and reassure yourself of what you have done so you don't get the diet jitters.

But remember, the tape measure is your real friend. The scale can drive you crazy, but the measurements are the proof of the pudding!

Old 07-30-2005, 10:18 PM   #5  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

I totally understand you - I started my plan not too long ago, and was really frustrated after the first few weeks. So much effort and no results. I've since realized that it takes time for your body to adjust and respond to the change. Just stick in there, don't get discouraged and keep up with it! And it's true - others might notice something sooner than you do!

Good luck!
Old 07-31-2005, 03:30 AM   #6  

It depends on many things. Here are top ones:

1. Metabolism and how long a limited amount of calories were consumed.
It takes an average of 8 to 12 months to correct a sluggish metabolism. It took me 6 months to correct mine. Everyone is different.
2. Eating enough calories
Too little calories will slow your metabolism down and your body will hold onto the fat.
3. Exercising too much for the amount of calories consumed
Same as above.
4. Drinking enough water
5. Muscle gain
Although muscle does NOT weigh more than fat, if you gain muscle at the same time you are losing fat, weight loss may not show up on your scale. It's better to use a tape measure or your clothes as a monitor of fat loss.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:05 PM   #7  

There are many factors involved in when you will start seeing results, as others have listed above.

For me, it has been a bit rocky. I'm down 40 pounds, and I started at 258 pounds standing 5'4. My coworkers tell me often that I look thinner, and I've had to buy new pants (which are now starting to fit looser). I've clearly made progress. But I don't see it at all when I look in the mirror or down at my body. To my eyes, I haven't lost a pound.

My eyes are clearly lying, though. I am trusting the scale, and the fact that my cloths fit looser. There are results there, even if I can't see them.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:43 AM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

I'll second the "depends on how much you have to lose" The larger you are the less noticeable a few pounds will be. Once you get closer to your goal weight 5-10#'s make a big difference. I didn't notice any difference at all for the first 2 months (even though my weight was slowly dropping) and then one morning I woke up, looked at myself in the mirror and went out to the storage bin marked "clothes too small" and put on my skinny jeans (YIPPEE!).
Old 08-01-2005, 10:59 AM   #9  
Haley

I agree with everyone else here. I'm down 16 pounds and I don't see any difference in myself, but my mom can. My clothes aren't fitting any looser, so hopefully that will start soon...
Old 08-01-2005, 03:31 PM   #10  

I just got an e-mail from one of the admins where I work asking What I was doing!
It's taken 30 lbs for people to really start noticing.. I have a long ways to go..
I started this in May...
Take your measurements monthly..
I only lost 8 lbs in July but I Lost 15 inches!!
I'll take inches over pounds anyday!!
good luck and don't give up before the miracle!
Old 08-01-2005, 04:07 PM   #11  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I started noticing a bit of looseness in some of my clothes after about 10lb, (not all my clothes though...). People really started noticing at about 25 - 30lb at a guess (although in my experience, some people notice before they say anything, because they don't want to say the wrong thing!), and at 55lb people don't ask me if I've lost weight, they ask me how.

The strange thing is that apart from when I try my old clothes on and see how big they are on me, there are times when I don't actually see much difference. My stomach and my thighs are still fat, for a start... Then again, there are other times when I look in the mirror and I'm blown away by the difference.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:29 PM   #12  

When we can't see our weight loss or body form change it is becuz we suffer from "distorted body image". It is very common among overweight people that have managed to change their body weight and size with diet and exercise. Also anorexic/bulimics suffer from it too.

I find the best way to really 'see' the difference is in pictures.

Last edited by Star; 08-01-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:40 PM   #13  

What a great thread! I too have been really working hard with exercise for almost 2 weeks. I do cardio 5 days a week and weight training 3 days a week. So many times in the past I would exercise and see no results in 2 weeks and quit. Not this time though-I will keep going-at least for the sake of my health. I feel so much better when I am working out. I like the idea of writing down everything you put in your mouth. Right now I am counting calories but not to the point that I am making myself crazy. I am very aware of what I am eating and trying to be as smart as possible with it. I really appreciate the comment by SOON2BE154 about correcting a sluggish metabolism...I have known for a long time that I have a very slow metabolism. That is great info! Thank you! Even though I didn't originally post this, you guys answered a ton of questions I have had in my head for years!
Thanks to all!!
Old 08-01-2005, 04:49 PM   #14  

I too had a very slow metabolism, almost to the point of being put on medication. Then I started exercising again and six months later my doctor said my metabolism was above average, she was thrilled and so was I.
Exercise does work,but not overnight. I love to do it becuz it makes me feel instantly better (fat or thin). Then the benifit of down the line actually being able to see the results of my efforts is awesome.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #15  

I agree with everyone. It does take time, just keep taking your measurements and don't give up. You will get to your goal weight.
Closed Thread