Success Stories! Share your success stories! Let's work together to make this the busiest forum of all!

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 11:36 PM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Helping my 'better half' to lose some L-Bs...

I wasn't sure where to put this post (this one has been kicking around in my head for some time now). Figured this was as good a place as any!

Jim has NEVER EVER had a weight problem...until recently. In fact, in photos from his teens and 20's, he was rail thin! (kind of had the Robert Plant thing going on with his hair...long, blond curly locks that for some reason turned dark dark brown in his mid-20's - he'd been blonde from childhood up until then...weird huh?)

So wha happened to make him gain weight (we're talking about 20 lbs in the past 10-11 years or so, since I've known him)?

One reason is that he used to be very active - riding his mountain bike everywhere since there was several years where we didn't have a car at our disposal (if we wanted to drive somewhere on the weekend, we'd rent a car from Enterprise). Nowadays, with working full time and two music projects ongoing (part time bassist with an acoustic group in San Fran and full time with an R&B group in San Jose, plus networking and practicing at home) Jim hasn't been spending much time doing 'intentional exercise'. And no, he won't go with me to the gym in the early AM - his name might be Jim but he ain't into the 'gym' scene.

Another reason - his eating habits. I have a pretty busy schedule myself - work, gym, riding lessons/stable time, and Pilates and Yoga classes a couple evenings a week (whew!). So Jim was eating out quite a bit. And by 'eating out' - that generally meant McD's or Taco Bell. Plus the fact that there are a LOT of goodies like cookies, brownies, etc floating around the office (we both work for the same employer but in different divisions).

Of course I nagged him about his weight and health...but it took a blood test and getting a pretty stern note from the doc that he would have to start watching his cholestrol and fats and sodium and etc. if he wanted to be healthy into his 40s...he got the warning note in August and I told him I would help him.

Now remember...Jim has NEVER been on a 'diet' in his life. I knew that if I put him on some sort of 'rabbit food' regimen, he wouldn't stay on it for very long. So I needed to make this as painless as possible!

Okay - here's a synopsis - just made some tiny changes...

his OLD breakfast: Jim would usually go to the cafeteria at work and get pancake w/maple syrup and butter, along with hamsteak and a Milk Chug (12 oz 2% milk). Also in the morning, as a 'pick me up' (since neither one of us likes coffee) he'd walk over to Safeway and pick up a 16 oz Rockstar 'energy drink' which contains 220 calories and 54 grams of sugar!!

his NEW breakfast: Since I was already making breakfast for myself anyway, I started making him breakfast as well - 2 pieces of lean Jones ham (25 calories each), 2 eggs sunnyside up (cooked in butter flavored Pam), 2 slices of rye toast with some Smucker's sugar-free preserves, and a small glass of OJ to wash down his One-A-Day Men's multi. And OH yes...I got him off the REGULAR Rockstars and onto the Diet Rockstars, which have a mere 20 calories per can

his OLD lunch: Usually he'd go to either McD's or Taco Bell and get a value meal, or if he was in a 'pinch' he'd go to the cafeteria and order up a cheeseburger with seasoned curly fries and a Coke. Another old favorite was the #9 at Togo's (hot pastrami sandwich) with salt & vinegar chips and a soda.

NEW lunch: When I cook stuff for dinner I make sure there are leftovers for his lunches...he gets stuff like turkey meatloaf...lean steak...chicken breasts and rice...healthy casseroles like jambalaya, etc. I generally include a light yogurt for a snack and a diet Coke. On the days that he doesn't pack a lunch, he stays away from McD's and if he goes to Togo's he orders a #16 (the Italian), light on the cheese, no mayo, on whole-wheat bread, with baked Lays chips and iced tea. He works a physical job so he needs the energy and with a full tummy, it's easier for him to deal with the cookies and stuff that are like boobytraps around the place.

Old dinner - if I had a lesson or something...he'd go straight to McDs or Taco Bell after work.

Now for dinner I generally make something healthy - and at least a couple times a week he gets a nice salad with chicken breast.

SNACKIES around the house - he's a guy so he's gotta have his snackies.

Jello FF pudding (in the individual containers)
Cereal with skim milk (cereal choices like Wheaties, Cheerios, Wheat Chex)
Lean Cuisine Pizzas
Fruit
Homemade quesadillas made w/2% cheese, chicken, and fat-free tortillas
Leftovers

Now of course I don't expect him to be PERFECT. In fact I know that when he goes to rehearsals, he IS going to most likely be eating fast food. But at least he's not eating it every single DAY, and he does make better choices - his new 'better choice' for example is ordering a burrito at our local taqueria that consists of grilled, lean carne asada, rice, black beans and lots of salsa. That's MUCH healthier and more filling than, say, a Big Mac Extra value meal!

Results - he's lost 12 lbs pretty painlessly! Yay Jim!!! (as far as exercise...well...the weather still sucks here but he's got his bike in the garage all tuned up and ready to go as soon as it starts warming up...)
Old 01-18-2005, 08:13 AM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Brilliant story! Yay you, too! Very, very good work, both of you! Course, Jim had an expert on hand ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJim
just made some tiny changes...
To you, yes! All these questions are welling up so please bear with me! How's Jim feeling about these changes? Have you talked/thought about maintenance? And has it meant much more work for you?

Quote:
And OH yes...I got him off the REGULAR Rockstars and onto the Diet Rockstars, which have a mere 20 calories per can
I can see how he really has to have these, being a musician and all that!

Keep us posted, won't you?
Old 01-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Ah yes...the Rockstars. A couple of the guys he works with got him hooked on them...before that it was Red Bull. But you know, they just HAVE to be different.

On the subject of maintenance...the thing is Jim doesn't even want to think about calories and all that stuff. The twist here is that I didn't want him to get into the 'diet mode'. The most important thing for him was to cut way, way back on the fast food and sugary snacks - now all I have to do is get him to exercise and he'll be okay

A month or so ago he 'celebrated' by going to the mall and buying himself some smaller jeans - his old ones were hanging on him (and his formerly favorite shorts literally fell right off his butt - fortunately he wasn't out and about when THAT happened).

Also, I had co-workers (mostly women) coming up to me and telling me how Jim was lookin' really good (this was unsolicited, BTW) - I told them to TELL HIM TO HIS FACE. (I guess they thought I'd be jealous! Nah...) So he's been getting a lot of unsolicited compliments to say the least!
Old 01-19-2005, 07:23 AM   #4  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Also, I had co-workers (mostly women) coming up to me and telling me how Jim was lookin' really good (this was unsolicited, BTW) - I told them to TELL HIM TO HIS FACE. (I guess they thought I'd be jealous! Nah...) So he's been getting a lot of unsolicited compliments to say the least!
Good for you. You don't have to mediate for grown-ups! And very nice for Jim to have positive reinforcement like that.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:02 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

I just came upon this post Karen....Great story !! I don't have a husband that is even remotely close to being overweight. He still weighs 175 the same that he's weighed since we've been married (21 years) ... he isn't a junk food eater, he actually stops eating when he's full ( who does that? ) ... You and I are lucky gals to have men who will just go along with us and our healthy lifestyles ... I have seen many posts where the DH ( although as overweight as the wife ) refuses to turn over a healthy new leaf even if it's for their own good ... WE certainly ARE lucky!!
Old 08-01-2005, 02:32 PM   #6  
diamondgeog

I just turned 40. My uncle was rail thin until he hit his 30s. Most men have metabolisms that slow in the 30s. I guess the same for women? So we can get away with less.

Actually for this past habits only 20lb gain is great. Shows he has a good metabolism. If he is in bands how about 'working out' to music. Or getting some new moves for live shows? The changes you have done are great of course. Guys can not take 20s and even early 30 habits into later life and not gain weight. 99 out of 100 will gain. Throw in less exercise and whallah you have my life story.

Call it what you (but not dieting if you want) will but breaking out into new habits is essential. I do not count calories. Never have. I have become savyier reading packages and I have told my wife to just say no to me if I suggest fast food. Health and happiness and energy and enjoying life are all intertwined. Remind him of that. No free rides in life. Eat badly and do not exercise and unless you are that 20,000 Big Mac eating dude from supersize me you are going to gain weight. AND it will get worse as the years go on.

Old 08-01-2005, 03:01 PM   #7  

My husband has never been on an intentional diet either. He has been complaining that he would like to lose 15 or 20 pounds but I know he has no intention of ever doing it. So, I've gotten sneaky.

He handles his own breakfasts and does pretty well for himself so I haven't tampered with his routine there. He comes home for lunch and would normally overeat by finishing up the previous nights leftovers and then snacking on whatever was on hand. Lately though, I've been calling to see what time he is going to be home and then having a good healthy lunch ready for him. He thinks I'm just being sweet. Then, since he's got a little extra time (because he didn't have to find lunch) I make sure there is some little "project" for him to help me with so he's busy and doesn't snack.

I've always made healthy dinners so it wasn't what he ate at that meal but how much he was eating. But, he can't eat it if it isn't there so I've started making just enough for the five of us. I do make sure his portions are a little bigger than ours but I don't have enough extra for him to really pile his plate. Then later I'll make a little extra of whatever snack I have and ask him to help me eat it so that he doesn't go rummaging through the kitchen. He hasn't noticed that my making too much for just me isn't an accident.

Anyway, he came into the kitchen this weekend and asked me if my scale was right. I told him it was and asked why he wanted to know. He says, "I just stepped on it and I'm down like 9 pounds - it must be because I mowed the lawn yesterday. It was really hot out there." I just told him I thought that must be it. Now, if I could just figure out a way to trick him into exercising.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:29 PM   #8  

sneaky, sneaky, ha ha I like it!
Old 08-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Jawsmom- LOL I thought your story was great! Pretty soon he will have new and healhty habits and not even know how he got them! As far as excercise, you could always ask him to go on a walk with you in the evenings. Every little bit helps and you could set the pace to have it be a brisk walk?
Closed Thread