3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/success-stories-12/)
-   -   100 pounds ago... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/success-stories/3626-100-pounds-ago.html)

Flib 03-28-2001 03:01 PM

100 pounds ago, Dec 1 99, I wore size 24. I weighed 292.6 lbs (though at the time, I wouldn't have had a clue just how much I weighed - I had my head firmly in the sand.) I had been gaining weight slowly but steadily throughout high school, university, then grad school. Steadily through meeting my boyfriend, who became my fiance, who became my husband. Clothes got too tight, I bought new ones or just wore the few items that fit. My feet ached at night after I went too bed. I was out of shape, way out of shape. I avoided physical activities. I dreaded small chairs.

Then something started me thinking. I don't know what it was, but I gradually started to contemplate life without all the extra "baggage." I spent a couple of weeks sort of toying with the idea of weight watchers. I'd done nutrisystem at one point in high school forced by my mother (who I've come to realize was doing what she thought was best for me). Sure, I'd lost weight but my hair got brittle, I was anemic, and I came to detest every bite of that prepackaged food I had to swallow. I never got to a proper goal weight for myself and gave up trying. Over years I became much, much heavier than I'd been before nutrisystem. That's why when I started to think about losing weight again it had to be in a way that felt healthy, sane, well-balanced, and gave me choice.

The "click" came when I had to go shopping for a new winter coat. I dreaded the thought of buying a 3X for about a zillion dollars from one of the few stores I could still shop in. I steeled my courage and went shopping. I found a gorgeous grey coat, on sale, in a 2X, that looked perfect. I snatched it up and loved it. But the decision to get my weight under control had be made. I had turned a corner.

I went to the next available local WW meeting. That was 16 months and 100 pounds ago. Now I work out regularly and enjoy it. I wear a size 14 in regular sizes. I can shop almost anywhere. I take the stairs at work (7 storeys up) at least once a day because I can. I eat wonderfully well. I feel great. I know I look great. I feel even younger than my 27 years. I know I'll live longer. I look forward to activities much more than I used to. I've never been shy, but I feel much more comfortable meeting strangers (esp. new clients) than I used too. I never check if I'm the fattest in the room anymore. It doesn't matter anymore. I LOVE getting compliments.

Losing weight doesn't make life perfect, of course, but having gotten this far on my journey I have a more confident outlook on every aspect of life. I still have about 25 pounds to go, but I know I'll get there. Sorry for the book, but I just reached the 100 pounds off mark at weigh in last night, and I felt the need to commemorate it somehow. I also want to thank all of you. Even when I don't post I get reinforcement from each of your successes and struggles.

Good luck to you all! (but we all know it's not really about luck, is it?) Thanks for letting me ramble,

Flib
292.6/191.8/165ish (5'9" tall)

MrsJim 03-28-2001 03:20 PM

Wow, can I ever relate to your story!

Congrats on losing 100 pounds - what an accomplishment! :)

I still remember the feeling of going into a mall and thinking "will I find something that fits?" (even in Lane Bryant). Size 3X is definitely not a fun size to wear - even though there are a lot more large-sized fashions available now than in 1989-90.

I love hearing people talk about the "click" - Oprah calls it "Making the Connection" - the moment when your resolve to 'just do it' finally turns on!

You've discovered the most valuable secret to weight loss - pretty much anyone can lose weight - but keeping it off requires some major lifestyle changes (but believe me, they really make the quality of your whole life much better!!)

Take care!

wcolleen 03-28-2001 06:11 PM

Thanks for the post- it's nice to hear from people whose stories I can identify with (the going to the mall and wishing I didn't *have* to shop at Lane Bryant.. noticing that yes indeed, I'm the fattest person in most rooms I walk into..etc.) who have successfully lost weight. Congratulations!

I had my "click" earlier this year, and for some reason unbeknownst to me, now that I've begun Weight Watchers, there is no turning back- and I haven't wanted to. After nearly four weeks, I'm still following the plan perfectly, and making good progress.

For any of you who haven't gotten that "click" yet, read Dr. Phil's book, "Life Strategies." Hearing him on Oprah really made a difference in my life, and started me on my way to losing weight.

canadianchick 03-29-2001 01:25 PM

Many, many cogratulations Flib on your accomplishment...you should be very proud! Your quality of life must be so much better now being 100 lbs lighter! It is people like you that inspire me to keep going and I want to thank you for that.

MrsJim- A big congratulations to you also. You should be very proud of your accomplishment and you are also so close to your goal!

Wcolleen - You are on your way to a healthier, slimmer you and it sounds like you are doing great! Keep up the good work.

As for me, I am down 84 lbs and still going. It's a long battle but I am extremely happy with my results this far. I am definitely going to post my 100 lb weight loss on this board when I reach it.

Congratulations everybody!

Lianna

midgie 03-30-2001 07:20 AM

Flib, STAND UP and TAKE a BOW!!! Congrats on your weightloss!!! You are an inspiration to us all and THANK YOU so much for sharing your story!!!!

dakotalassy 03-30-2001 02:08 PM

It is so great to read of your successes. I started on Meridia today, took my first pill a couple of hours ago. I am also going to follow the WW program. All my friends are having gastric bypass surgery and I am hoping that will not be necessary. I know WW can get it done, but after a few weeks, I just run out of gas and go back to my old eating patterns.

If anyone else has used Meridia, I would love to hear about it.

MrsJim 03-30-2001 03:53 PM

Meridia thread on Diet Plans board

Dakota, check the Meridia thread on the Diet Plans board - I've been lurking there myself - even though I'm not on Meridia, I've been interested to see the results of those that are using it.

My doctor - for various reasons - would not prescribe Meridia to me (and actually I would have a hard time affording it anyway since my medical insurance doesn't cover it) when I asked for it about two years ago. The main reason he gave me was that he didn't feel it had been researched long enough. In addition, after the Phen/Fen debacle of the 90's, I get the impression that many MD's are reluctant to prescribe diet pills at all.

Take care!

Alajane 04-03-2001 12:12 PM

Oh, Flib, I'm so excited and so proud of you! This is such a fantastic milestone to reach!

I, too, could usually only shop at Lane Bryant and fit into their 3Xs (because they were larger than the 3X size at "regular" stores). It's so wonderful to be able to shop almost anywhere--wish we could go shopping together!

Congratulations again,
Jane

Flib 04-03-2001 05:23 PM

Thank you so much, all of you! I'm leaving for my weigh in shortly. Tonight's the big night when I get my 100 lb certificate. I'm ridiculously excited about it!

Jane - I'd love to go shopping with you too! It would be so much fun to hit the mall with someone who appreciates the simple joy of being "normal."

Dakota - I hope the Meridia works well for you. Like any weight loss plan, you'll need the sheer determination and confidence to stick with your dreams (not short term rewards). There is no magic "pill," as I'm sure you know, but I hope Meridia offers you a tool along the way. I don't know anything about it myself.

Midgie - thanks for your kind words.

Lianna - I can't wait to read of your success on this board. Wow, you're doing very well!

Colleen - You (in my opinion) are past the hardest part, which is reaching the turning point - the click - and deciding to do something about it. I know there are struggles evry single freakin' day ;) but at least now you (and I) have a plan to deal with them.

Mrs. Jim - Thanks for all your posts on these boards. I really appreciate words of experience and wisdom from someone who's maintained such a weightloss accomplishment for several years. I certainly plan to follow in those footsteps!

Have a great week everyone. I've gotta go bask in some glory :D

Flib

Jenniffer 04-11-2001 04:12 PM

Thank you Thank you Thank you! Thank you for sharing your story....sometimes it seems like we all have the same story..but you...100 LBS!! That is amazing and it sounds like you are glowing!!! Are you "treating" yourself to any kind of reward? You sure do deserve it!

I started my journey when I got the "click" January 1st, 2000. 15 months later, I've lost 62 lbs..a bit slow..but it's staying off forever. I have at least 30 lbs to go...but I will get there...and be so happy to know that you too have reached your goal!

etalocohc 04-15-2001 10:31 AM

Flib, I had to let you know---you did not ramble at all. I'm very glad that you took the time to share your story...You were eloquent. I love what you had to say.
Hitting that 100 mark is quite a feeling, isn't it?! You must be flying. It's amazing what that means but it is such an important mark in the journey. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! And now...onward.

devoted 04-17-2001 04:54 PM

Fib,

I read your post and had to take a minute and congratulate you on your success! It takes a monumental amount of strength and sheer will to do what you did. You should be so proud of your accomplishment!

My "click" came when I turned 29 years old in Feb. 2000. I had been overweight since I was a child and had been on various "diets" my whole life. I finally realized that what everyone was saying about needing to change your entire lifestyle was true. Diets don't work and there are no quick fixes. So, I completely changed my eating habits, sticking to whole grains, fruits, veggies and lean meats, and lots of exercise. Now, over a year later I am 59 pounds lighter and it feels great! However, this last 9 pounds is going soooooo slow! Anyone else have this problem? Fib? Mrs. Jim? They say the closer you get to your goal weight, the slower it goes but it gets frustrating at times because I am sooooooo close!

Anyway, congratulations again on your success Fib and to all of you who have fought this battle and are still fighting.

Lisa
188/129/120

MrsJim 04-20-2001 11:17 AM

Plateaus in weight loss - or those last few agonizing pounds!

Hey everyone -

Just got back from London last night and fighting a major case of jet lag, but couldn't resist checking the ol' boards this morning!

I am also attempting to get rid of those last few pounds - to me my perfect (realistically speaking) is between 140-145. Now, I know at 5'4" my 'ideal' weight is supposed to be in the 120s. But I know that ain't gonna happen!

One of the main keys to permanent weight loss IMHO is to take it slow and easy. We all want to get rid of the fat quickly...but believe me the most effective way is to take it easy and concentrate on permanent lifestyle changes. I promise you will be healthier and happier!

etalocohc 04-20-2001 12:27 PM

"[b]YES[/b]" to SLOW

Jenniffer and Mrs. Jim,
I just want to add my endorsement to "slow& easy." After years (decades, really) of losing and re-gaining plus more, by "getting it overwith quickly," I finally decided to do things differently this time. This time I made up my mind to go slow. So, forty years the fast way and never accomplishing what I set out to do---OR maybe 4 or so years of going slow and actually reaching a healthy weight...Which is fast and which is slow?

MrsJim 04-20-2001 05:12 PM

How slow is slow?

You may want to check out my previous posts, where I've quoted from Michael Fumento's fabulous book "Fat of The Land" about losing weight slowly.

Most medical weight-loss experts regard a safe, healthy rate of weight loss as anywhere from 1/2 pound to 2 pounds a week. While that seems very slow, think of it in terms of a year...an average weight loss of 1 pound a week for a year would be 52 pounds! For just about anyone, that would be a dramatic difference in their health and appearance.

I am also a preponent of the "10%" idea...where you set an interim goal to lose 10% of your current body weight, and then after losing that weight, maintain it for a few months or a year before you try to lose more - then shoot for another 10%. Here's an example:

Person A weighs 200 pounds - she sets her interim goal at 180 for a loss of 10% (or 20 pounds) of her starting weight. She makes the adjustments in her eating and exercise habits to achieve this loss. After getting to her first goal, she works at maintaining that weight for (let's say) 6 months. After staying at 180 for awhile, she's ready to lose 10% (or 18 more pounds). After getting to 162, stays there for awhile and sets her next goal at 16 pounds or 146 pounds.

To me this is an excellent way to lose weight, since between your weight-loss periods you will basically be eating and exercising the way you should to maintain weight loss...

Just my opinion!