Success Stories! Share your success stories! Let's work together to make this the busiest forum of all!

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 09:43 PM   #1  

Default A ? about those who've gone from fat to fit (or fitter)...

Can you compare, and describe, how you felt then, and how you feel now? I don't mean how you feel about the way you look but rather how you feel physically - stamina, strength, lifted depression, etc. In what ways do you feel better? What can you do now that you couldn't then? I think stories like that would be the greatest motivator for me.

Thanks,
Melani
Old 01-08-2004, 02:29 PM   #2  

OH Melani, it's like I'm a different person. I used to be sore when I got out of bed in the mornings, but now that's completely gone. I couldn't go to the mall because just walking across the parking lot left me out of breath, but just last month I was actually running on the beach. I can keep up with my kids. I can go out in the yard and jump on the trampoline with them and I never would have been able to do that a year ago. It's a world of difference.

I just feel like a different person altogether than I was last January.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:02 PM   #3  

Hi there,

I definitely have to agree here. At 256lbs , I felt awful, my back and knees hurt all the time, I was always tired and forget exercising..... I would come home, sit on the couch, get up to eat and shower and then go to bed. No energy for anything. Now I dont sleep half as much, I have tons of energy. I really feel great, and I'm down to 214, so I cant wait til I get to goal weight, 175, I hope to feel excellent then......... It's well worth it though Hang in there
Jewels
Old 01-09-2004, 04:41 PM   #4  

HOLY MOLY! 168 pounds lost? That's a whole person! AMAZING!
I hope I can be as successful! What kept you on track for so long???
Old 01-10-2004, 07:14 PM   #5  

I've lost 65# since March. I do cardio 6 days a week and lift weights every other day. I am smaller now than I was the last time I was this weight, about 20 years ago. I've used nothing but change my eating and developed my own exercise program through much trial, error and experimentation to find what works for me.

Although I have energy, stamina and stength, I have gone through many changes emotionally, and expect more. The one thing people always say to me is "you should be proud." Actually, I am ashamed. I ashamed that I let myself get so big that I could wipe out a store shelf with my butt by turning around in a close aisle. I am ashamed that I jeopardized my health, my heart, my joints, my circulation, etc. because I *thought* I didn't look that bad because I kept up my hair and make-up, and tried to hide it with baggy clothes.

Of course, I'm pleased that I've had success, because overall I feel better and move better. Looking better is a bonus. My motivation comes from within, not an external force, and was in place when I started. I was fortunate to find 3FC at the right time when I needed it, and have a wonderful and effective support system in place. Some of them have lost over 100# and maintained, and know and understand all the feelings, good and bad that are encountered on this journey.

Maybe that's not exactly what you wanted to hear, frog, but it's the truth. Our support group began a thread of '04 goals before the crash and we are just rebuilding. One of those goals that several of us agree on -

>>" Stop thinking of myself as a fat lady temporarily in smaller clothes. I am who I am now."<<

That's from a size 4 who has maintained for several years. So you see, it's not just about losing the pounds and getting fit. There's much headwork involved in order to keep it off, or in my case, keep going.

dip
Old 01-12-2004, 05:15 PM   #6  

Hey dip,

I like your thinking, but I have to agree, my boyfriend says all the time how good I should feel that I already lost 50 lbs, but still a part of me wonders "how did I let myself go"? Sometimes I find myself pathetically laughing at people on tv with their weight loss stories, saying how could they let themselves go like that, but here I was doing the same thing, and I too feel really ashamed, it's like no matter how good I keep doing I'm just not pleased... but the goals for this year are looking up and hopefully it will be successul weight loss for all of us....
jewels
Old 01-12-2004, 07:20 PM   #7  

Jewels, I agree with your first post that "being here" feels great, no doubt about it. As for not being pleased and want to keep going, I feel that way too. Like there's no stopping me now and Lord help anybody who tries to get in my way. The return of self-confidence is there also. We will know when we get *there,* whatever our final destination as individuals, the way we feel about ourselves. It's been my experience that external forces like compliments are not my driving force. How 'bout you?

Wait til you break 200, and let me know by PM how you feel then. I will be curious to see if you felt the same way I did, and some other gals. Deal?

dip
Old 01-14-2004, 11:43 PM   #8  

Thanks for the replies. This is just the kind of stuff I need.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:16 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthrgoos68
OH Melani, it's like I'm a different person. I used to be sore when I got out of bed in the mornings, but now that's completely gone. I couldn't go to the mall because just walking across the parking lot left me out of breath, but just last month I was actually running on the beach. I can keep up with my kids. I can go out in the yard and jump on the trampoline with them and I never would have been able to do that a year ago. It's a world of difference.

I just feel like a different person altogether than I was last January.
PLEASE tell me how you did it? Being a mother I know you have a lot of responsibility. How did you stay motivated? How did you keep from being discouraged? How did you stay interested in the food you were eating? How much did you exercise? What kinds of foods did you eat? Did you still have to fix foods for your family? Did you still have to shop???//Thanks
Old 01-17-2004, 06:03 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

hmmm. interesting thread. and hi there mothergoose, you fabulous woman, you!!!!

i've gone from bedridden to hiking with the damn dog. and lifting weights 2 to 2-1/2 hours 3-4 days a week. there's just no comparison. i was almost dead, and now i'm not.

can't say it plainer than that!!!!
Old 02-19-2004, 10:27 PM   #11  

Although with a SW of 180 it wasn't quite as tough for me as for some of these folks, still, 35 lbs. later (and at goal) I too am a new person.

There is no pill you can take for the energy you get from losing weight and exercising. NEVER thought I would EVER LIKE to exercise, but took the same method I did for eating, slow and steady.

Turns out the more I did, the better I got at it. Can you imagine going to an exercise class and NOT staring at the clock? For my entire life, I used to absolutely HATE any type of exercise class.

But liking it can happen if it's not painful and impossible and it won't be, if you start slowly and stick with it. Honest. I actually started out walking, and still that's my exercise of choice, but it's so cold and snowy here it's not a viable option for a couple more weeks.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:21 PM   #12  

I've lost 60 pounds as of this week (yay)!

It's been a pretty slow process, I lost the first 50 over the course of 10 months, maintained for a year, and decided to reset my goal weight and work towards my ideal body. I've lost 10 more pounds in the 5 months since making that decision.

I've noticed a lot of changes. I was perpetually single when I was overweight. I think this was due in part to the way I felt about myself. I was embarrassed about my body and the way that I looked. I dressed well and tried to look good, but I didn't want to let anyone close to me because inside I was ashamed of myself. I'm proud of my body now, I still get frustrated with my thighs or my abs sometimes, but I am comfortable with the attention that I get from men, I carry myself differently, I am comfortable letting people get close enough to me to see my weaknesses because even if I'm not perfect, I'm still a pretty good catch!

I also completely got rid of my asthma, I don't get hurt as easily anymore, and my fitness level is completely changed. When I started exercising and trying to lose weight, I could not jog for 5 minutes in a row. Last weekend, I ran 8 miles. For me, that says it all.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:03 AM   #13  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Katia -

WOW! You are an inspiration I'm at the stage where running 5 minutes is an Extreme Sport for me... but I would really love to get where I too could run 8 miles. You know, I actually DREAM about running easily? What kept you going in those tough early days?

Anyway, I'm getting to the gym tonight after I get out of work!
Old 03-16-2004, 08:39 PM   #14  

I seem to be having far fewer migraines. I think that's because I eat more frequently, but I'm not sure. I haven't had an asthma attack in 2 years, except for dancing in a smoky room once. Far fewer aches and pains overall, except in my hip joints, but that's been there for years. Believe it or not, my eyesight has improved, over my last prescription. What's with that, I have no idea.

My feet are much smaller, so I don't have to wear "comfort shoes." For a person who loves heels like I do, that was a heartbreaker.

I can play sports much, much more easily. Golf, kayaking, dancing, water sports, jogging, even tennis. I did stuff even at my heaviest weight, but there's no comparison between my performance then and now.

I'm treated differently. I'm treated the way I was before I got fat. Being fat gives the whole world an excuse to dump on you-- people actually seem to think you are less intelligent, less educated, because you're carrying some extra pounds. That was extremely irritating, to say the least.

Oh, yes, I almost forgot. Yes, that's improved too-- it's just, well, better. That's worth the calorie counting all by itself, actually. LOL!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:04 AM   #15  

Hey kiddo, I have lost about 100 lbs so far and boy even though I still have a lot to lose, you can definitely tell the difference:

DH used to have to let me off at the door of a department store because I couldn't walk from the parking lot without being winded and in Oct of last year I did a 5K walk! I now do an hour on the treadmill everyday and that is doing it with a 7 % incline part of the way

CLOTHES CLOTHES CLOTHES: For the first time in DECADES, yes, decades I can shop at a regular store like Target, Macys, whatever and get clothes to fit. 8 years ago I wore a womens' size 34 suit to my daughter's wedding and my son's wedding is in 3 weeks and I bought a beautiful 22 for it! Also lost a shoe and width size

I can manuever stairs easier than before though it is still going to take time to really go at them.

I NEED LESS SLEEP. I can get along on about 6 hours and feel great.

My skin and hair is better. It used to be so cracked and dried no matter what I did for it, it wouldn't soften up. My hair is softer too. (part of this is taking in lots more water)

I used to have to put my steering wheel as far up as it would go, but I now have it in the normal position with about a good 2 inches between me and it!

It is just totally the very best thing I am doing for my body ever and I wil NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER go back to what I once was!
Closed Thread