Old 09-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #1  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

Default Phase 1 crab cakes

Can someone help me make this Weight Watcher recipe PH1 friendly?
It is almost there... just the breadcrumbs. And does Worcestershire sauce have sugar??

Here is the original recipe:
1/4 c mayo
1 egg white
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning (what is this by the way?)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3/4 lb imitation crabmeat, chopped
1/2 lb peeled, deveined shrimp, chopped
3/4 c whole wheat bread crumbs
1 tsp olive oil

If I take out the breadcrumbs, what can I do to make this hold its form??
Thanks!
Jenny
Jenskihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #2  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Maybe ground flaxseed?
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #3  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

Old Bay seasoning is in a plastic jar in the spice section. I would guess flaxseed ground as well... or maybe mash some white beans with an egg to mix in? I don't know about the worcestershire sauce. check the label because they are all different. I have to always check bc I am vegetarian and most I can't have.
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #4  
PCOS will not control me!

S/C/G: 283/241/175

Height: 5'8"

egg??
JerseyGirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #5  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

DO NOT use imitation crab meat if you want it to be anything other than weird.

sorry i'm from maryland we put old bay on everything!

it's not like any crab cake i've ever seen.. never put shrimp in a crab cake.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #6  
PCOS will not control me!

S/C/G: 283/241/175

Height: 5'8"

I was thinking the same as Nessa...imitation crab would be more like fish cakes than crab cakes. I want to try this tonight, but with canned real crab meat and no shrimp. I have a wasabi ranch dip that I made and needed something to use it on. I think this works!
JerseyGirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm another Marylander and I'm with Nessa. No imitation crabmeat. You need the bread or cracker crumbs to hold it together, but it doesn't take much, just a palmful to a lb of crabmeat. I'm not opposed to shrimp and crab together, but haven't ever made a crab-shrimpcake myself. for Ph1 you could just do a nice shrimp and crabmeat salad, or sauteed crabmeat.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #8  
Finding success on beach

I'm from IL... I don't typically do crab cakes :-). I have one on vacation in Hawaii and it was awesome! When I saw this recipe, I thought maybe it was a spin on what we had? :-)
OK, so real crab meat comes in a can? By the tuna?
Can I use the bread crumbs then for Ph 2?

Is there a better Ph 1/Ph 2 crab cake? Or are these off limits??

Last edited by Jenskihere; 09-10-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #9  
ONEderland here I come!

REAL crab me comes in a can by the fish section. it's frozen or refridgerated.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #10  

REAL crabmeat comes from the crab from the bushel you picked in your backyard LOL. Just be careful when you buy crabmeat. A lot of it (even around here) is coming from China or Thailand and it's not the same, not very good. It's hard to tell sometimes because they package it to look local and you have to look on the container for the fine print saying where it came from. The good stuff comes from the Chesapeake Bay or from the Gulf.
A really good crabcake is all about the crab. There are very few other ingredients, just enough to season and hold the crabmeat together. If you have Old Bay seasoning, the standard recipe is on the can, but if you want a recipe let me know. There should be minimal filler and not a lot of other junk (this is one place where extra veggies are NOT welcome. they can sit on the plate NEXT to the crabcake, but not in it). As you can see, Nessa and I are rather intense about our crabs! It doesn't get any worse than a Baltimore girl and an Annapolis girl.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #11  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

crab can be found in a can by the tuna...but honestly, it isn't all that great.

fresh is best...and found by the meat counter or in the freezer section...OR, if you're really into getting fresh....catch some and clean them.

Hrm.....as far as a binder goes, I guess I like the bean idea better than flax seed - flax might burn when it is being cooked. Crab cakes with little bitter chunks of binder wouldn't be good. Smash some beans and mix with egg. OR, depending on how it is cooked (I don't see instructions) - you could just throw an egg into the mix (use the whole egg instead of just the white) and bake them. They will be quite crumbly though. Flavors should still be ok.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #12  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post
REAL crabmeat comes from the crab from the bushel you picked in your backyard LOL. Just be careful when you buy crabmeat. A lot of it (even around here) is coming from China or Thailand and it's not the same, not very good. It's hard to tell sometimes because they package it to look local and you have to look on the container for the fine print saying where it came from. The good stuff comes from the Chesapeake Bay or from the Gulf.
A really good crabcake is all about the crab. There are very few other ingredients, just enough to season and hold the crabmeat together. If you have Old Bay seasoning, the standard recipe is on the can, but if you want a recipe let me know. There should be minimal filler and not a lot of other junk (this is one place where extra veggies are NOT welcome. they can sit on the plate NEXT to the crabcake, but not in it). As you can see, Nessa and I are rather intense about our crabs! It doesn't get any worse than a Baltimore girl and an Annapolis girl.
you two are too cute!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:01 PM   #13  
ONEderland here I come!

just wait till i move to NC and have to TEACH them about CRAB CAKES!
Old 09-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #14  
Finding success on beach

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I obviously asked the RIGHT people about crab cakes!! :-)
Old 09-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #15  

You are welcome Jenski! If you ever do get your hands on some nice fresh crabmeat, just get the biggest lump you can afford, and when you mix it up, stir very gently or toss with your hands to avoid breaking it up. After you form the cakes, refrigerate them for a while before cooking. This lets them set up more firmly and allows you to use less filler/binder.

Nessa, my grandmother is from NC, but she moved to MD when she married (16YO). They moved back to NC when they retired, and we weren't allowed to visit without packing a cooler of fresh crabmeat to bring her. I think she was more excited about the delivery than the visit.

I'm like zeff, now you guys made me hungry. May have to go pull one out of the freezer for dinner.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 09-10-2008 at 04:22 PM.