3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   New SBer Question (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/95417-new-sber-question.html)

Csondra 10-05-2006 07:44 PM

New SBer Question

Okay, I've ordered the book but haven't received it yet (so I don't know if the answer to my question's in there). As I understand it, we don't need to worry about counting calories (within reason, of course) as long as we stick to the foods on the list. However, I put my food for today into FitDay and I've only eaten 500 calories, which is RIDICULOUSLY low, right? So... what did most of you average on Phase I?

As soon as I can hit the grocery store, I know my cals will go up (just don't have a ton of acceptable food hanging around the house)- but it looks as though it's still going to be pretty low during Phase I?

Oh, one other thing, why is the October Weightloss thread closed? I was hoping to join when I saw it yesterday, clearly forgot, and now it's not open? Is there a time limit to join?

CarCar 10-06-2006 12:21 AM

Hi....I'm new to the site, but not new to South Beach. I did it a couple years ago (and have tried again a couple times since) with much success. Unfortunately, I met my boyfriend, ate like a pig, and gained back the 35 lbs of progress I had made over two years. So, the answer to your question is that your calorie intake will vary over phase one. I know that's not much of an answer, but the book won't provide a solid one either. The truth is, a lot of phase 1 works well because of the limited calorie intake, but it should NOT be as severe as 500 per day. You're definitely going to want to be making sure to get some good fats in there -- nuts, omega 3 fatty fish, olive oil, etc., all of which will help boost that number. Make sure to be having two snacks per day as well. Eating so few calories per day will actually kick in the "fight for life" defense mechanism your body immediately whips out when it feels you're starving. You DO want to have fewer calories, just not so, so little.

Good luck!! It looks like we're starting with the same weight and trying to end with roughly the same weight too. I started phase 1 nine days ago, so hopefully we can help keep each other motivated!

Ruthxxx 10-06-2006 06:03 AM

Csondra and CArCAr, :welcome: to this site and to The Beach.

Csondra, please read the FAQ Section, paying particular attention to the Revised Phase I Food List. You certainly must eat more than 500 calories! Dairy and legumes are very important and will get your calories up to an acceptable 1200.

If you want to join the October Weightloss Target Thread, please post your weightloss goal on this thread and I will add it to the sticky above. I generally close the monthly Target thread on the 5th day of the month as most folks have joined by then.

Csondra 10-06-2006 10:30 AM

Thank you so much for the help! :hug:

(I just reread the part of my post about the Weightloss thread and realized it sounded kinda rude. I'm sooooo sorry, I was tired and didn't even think about how I was coming across, didn't mean to be snotty! :foot: I completely understand you closing the thread on the 5th.)

I'd like to try and lose 12 lbs. this month.

Again, thanks. :D

Ruthxxx 10-06-2006 12:04 PM

Hey, don't fret! Tone of voice does not come over in typing. I have added you to the October list.

quagmire 10-06-2006 05:44 PM

My advice is to 1. read the book - it gives you a great platform to start the diet on. It explains what you will be doing and why. 2. Follow the menus as closely as possible - it takes alot of stress out of the diet. Don't be afraid to make little changes if you aren't liking a particular dessert or snack.

My experience has been, if you stick to the plan, it'll work. :D

wannabeskinnylady 10-06-2006 06:40 PM

Will you please add me to the goal for October as well? I would like to lose 10-pounds. Thank you!