Phase I Start/Restart - week of Sept. 25

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • For chickies starting (or restarting) Phase I, this is the place to post your questions and menus for review.
  • Hey South Beachers, I am restarting Phase 1 today. I have been doing it but I think I have added too much or had too much fat. I just really want to make sure I am doing good so I am going to pull out my book today and make sure I am doing what I should. Happy Monday everyone!
  • back, RCsMommy. Be sure to check out the stickies in the FAQ part of this Forum and our recipes. There are lots of ideas there.
  • I'm coming back to the beach today too. I've been off for about 2 months now? I'm unhappy with my body and how unhealthy I feel. I want my energy back!

Today's menu:
    B - coffee w/ milk and sf vanilla syrup
    S - cottage cheese w/ splenda & cinnamon and almonds
    L - romaine lettuce with cucumber, ham, and blue cheese (I know I should switch out for a lower fat/cal dressing but I need to ease my way into this)
    S - plain nf yogurt with vanilla extract and a little splenda and 2tbsp flax meal
    D - sbd sheppard's pie
    S - probably a fudgecicle

And can I say I REALLY miss spinach! That was a mainstay when I was on this before. I even put it in the chocolate milkshake recipe from the recipe forum to boost my veggies. I'll have to see if I can make it to the farmer's market on Saturday and see if they're selling any there.
  • Today is my first day! I just joined 3FC last night and am excited. I started an intro thread last night, because I didn't know there was a place for us newbies/restarters. I know it is only the first day but I am already seeing some changes (mostly attitude). I am not a morning person, but I have already done 30 mins of exercising today! I think having this site is helping me to be accountable (to myself) for my actions.

B- 1 egg (scrambled w/ Mrs. Dash extra spicy blend)/ 2 canadian bacon/ coffee (skim milk and splenda)
    S- almonds
    L- salad greens w/ vidiala dressing and rock fish
    S- yogurt
    D- warm chicken salad
    S- might try the peanut butter cup recipe (sounds yummy)
  • Kelly, I have real spinach in my garden but the frozen stuff in the stores is probably OK as it was frozen before this Spinachgate began. I don't imagine they'll restock for a while!

Shenanigans, your food plan looks good. I'm delighted that you're excited! I would suggest that you work in more real vegetables as lettuce is really not a nutritional giant. Check out the Sticky Best Veggies To Eat in the FAQ section for some ideas. A glass of V8 is what helps me bring up my daily total.
  • Hi there! Hubby and I began SB for the first time today! My parents and some other relatives have done really well with it, and now that I'm nearly 80 pounds heavier than my pre-baby weight (5 years ago! ) it's time to get healthy again. I'm super excited that my Hubby's doing it with me, for the additional support, and so there won't be any sweets laying around that I might give in to!

Now, I don't have the book. I'm off today to borrow it from the library or my parents - but I do have a question about caffiene. I read here on 3FC in the Phase I food list something about only two diet colas per day...is that right? I'm terribly addicted to Diet Coke and this is going to be my biggest struggle...I feel like I can't get motivated without it! Anyone have any suggestions for dealing with this? Thanks! Good luck!
  • Hey Bunny! to the Beach!

I've done the SBD before, but fell off right after the end of P1. I just started back up on Monday, the 18th.

I know how you feel about the diet cokes , they're my biggest weakness. I was at one time up to 5 a day. The way I handled it was by setting goals for myself and giving myself little treats after I accomplished them. Week 1: 5 a day, reward: new nail polish. Week 2: 4 a day, reward: a new dvd, Week 3: 3 a day, reward: pedicure and etc. until I'm now down to 2 or LESS a day!! I though I couldn't do it, but I did. Give yourself time and a margin for error and you'll do it. You're giving up enough as it is, I wouldn't worry about the diet cokes for now. (Shhhhh, don't tell anyone I said that! )Once you're comfortable with SB, I'd start weaning yourself off of them and you'll notice a change. Hey, there were two days last week where I probably drank three diet cokes AND two regular cokes and I still lost 6 lbs!!! (Still on P1, so loss is dramatic).

Good luck to you and DH! I look forward to seeing your progress in both weight loss and ditching a bit of your diet coke habit!!
  • Hey ladies,

So I have officially started Phase 1 again today. The hard part is going to be snacks though as I've gotten out of the habit of my in between meal snacks. Also the eating has gotten plain out of control atleast on the weekends - Definitely over carbing it and I remember having a lot more control post Phase 1 - SO here I go WHEEEEE

A little concerned about being vegetarian in Phase 1 but I am eating fish so that will help a bit.
  • Thanks so much for the encouragement and welcome Kim. I like your strategy for killing the cokes! Lol* I have so far had one today, and I'm saving my second for dinner time...but I'm vowing not to quit my plan over a slip on diet cokes. Lol* It's better than slipping up and having an entire bag of chips or something, right!? Lol* Congrat's btw on you're giving another shot at SB! Sounds like you're doing great!

Hey sarahslacker - I can see your concern with being vegetarian on SB...I think you'll have to be creative since there's a lot of meat options to the plan, but there are still lot of veggies too. I ate a pretty strict vegan diet at my healthiest and lowest weight...that was five years ago. There are so many more soy based mock meat foods out now, and I bet you'll do great with those for Phase I. If you eat eggs you'll be fine, otherwise watch the labels, as many of them contain eggs or egg whites. Good luck! I can't wait to hear how it goes for you!
  • Technically this is my 2nd week of Phase 1 but I will be extending my Phase 1 into next week as well because I slipped bad over the weekend. I did pick up The South Beach Diet Quick & Easy Recipe book at B&N on Saturday so hopefully I'll have some good stuff to make since everything is seperated into each phase.

Meal Plan - September 25th
    B- Western Egg White Omelet w/ Mushrooms (no peppers)
    S- Had to take the cat to the vet so I skipped this snack.
    L- 2 cups of raw green leaf lettuce chopped with Basalmic Vinnegrette Dressing (1 tbsp) & a Chicken Salad Sandwich with lettuce and low fat mayo minus the bread and tomato.
    S- 15 almonds
    D- Baked Chicken with seasoning & Broccoli with low fat cheese
    S- 1 Peanut Butter Cookie (Recipe from the forums) w/ 1 tsp of Cool Whip Lite

Exercise Plan - September 25th
    Afternoon - Powerwalk Around the Apt Complex - 45 min
    Evening - Clean the House & Finish up the Laundry - 1 hour to 2 hours

Not sure if its neccessary to include but this is what my Nutridiary says I should consume and how much the above exercise is worth.

+Basal Metabolic Rate - 1579 kcal
    +General Activity - 546 kcal
    - Weight Loss Goal - 1000 kcal
    -----------------------------------
    Equals 1125 calorie consumption today

Extra Exercise & Activity:
    Powerwalk for 45 mins = 226 kcal
    Cleaning Est. 1 Hour & 30 mins = 384 kcal
    Total kcal burned - 610 kcal*

*Does not include calories burned while doing routine daily things like food prep, driving, etc.
  • So I am SO bummed out - my Garden Veggie patties have brown rice and rolled oats in them, even though they're low carb I guess this really means that I can't have them huh? Makes me not want to do Phase 1

And yeah, I do do eggs/egg whites for protein so that definitely helps.

But guess I'll give them up for 2 weeks
  • Hi all -

Started back on SBD today after about a 2 year break for a baby. Anyway, back and it feels great. My menu for today:

B - 2 egg "muffins", coffee
    S - 15 almonds
    L - 3 lettuce roll ups with oven roasted turkey, turkey bacon, light MW
    S - cut up veggies - red pepper and celery, Light Baby Bel cheese
    D - salad (plain), wendy's chili recipe

Hope it looks good!

Shenanigans - Did you notice our start weights and goal are identical? Mine went down already as I guessed my starting weight when I signed up to 3fatchicks and then the official weigh in this morning put me at 151.5. Anyway, good luck and hopefully we'll get to goal soon!
  • OOpppsss

Forgot to add that I had a broccoli/cauliflower/tomato salad at lunch and some green beans with my morning snack.

thanks
  • Yay! 1st day is almost over! I have to say, I feel sooo healthy and alert. I know people have said that in the next few days I might start to feel tired or sluggish, but right now I just feel good. :-)

I changed my meal plan today... I had a grilled portabello and spinach salad and then had my original lunch for dinner. Also, does anyone know if Goat Cheese is SBD phase 1 friendly?

Ruthxxx-- I know veggies are important and I need to make sure I get them in. The V8 idea is great (I just bought some). My salads usually include spinach, lettuce, bell peppers (i use red, yellow, and green-- I like color) and mushrooms.

G&B'sMama-- We are starting and ending in the same place. It is nice to know that there is someone in the same place as I am. Hopefully, we will be celebrating that major goal soon and all of the smaller ones along the way.