Phase 1 and not losing weight?

• Hi Everyone, Hopefully you can help.
    I began South Beach in January and have been extremely successful. Ive lost a total of 35 pounds and still need to go 25lbs more. July and August were difficult to completely follow Phase 2 and have decided to go back to Phase 1 to restart the journey. My husband has also decided (after his yearly physical) to join in on Phase 1. The problem is that we are close to finishing the 2 weeks of Phase 1 (and have not cheated at all) and really have not lost more than 2 pounds. Can anyone help me with this. I cannot understand why I have not been successful while I was in January.
  • Goingalltheway:

I went on SB last November w/ my husband (dr. told him he had to) and lost about 12 lbs w/in the first 2 weeks - this time I only lost 6 and I haven' lost any more - I am not sure why -

are you working out???? I have been and doing a little weight lifting - maybe that is why you haven't lost any

Keep the faith and keep checking back in here - you will do it
  • phase 1 is really not the weight loss phase it's the 'end your cravings phase'

move slowly into phase 2... i lost 9 pounds my first time on phase one.. 8 the first week all water 1 the second week. now 19 weeks into SBD i'm down 32 pounds... so most of it's on phase 2...... since phase 2 is forever... i'd say move back to phase 2
  • Hi everyone, I have had the same problem. However I think i was adding some phase 2 foods in that I shouldnt of. I only lost 3 pounds after 2 weeks. I did not go to phase 2 I started phase 1 all over again. This time i am checking everything with the list of phase 1 foods. I am hoping to see a better weight loss.
    Hang in there, it has worked for so many people, it has to work for us.
  • I am on day ten of phase 1 and the weight really just started coming off now. The first week was a little disappointing w/ only 1.5 lbs. lost but now I'm up to 4.0 lbs. lost and still have a few days to go. For me it was a delayed result and I'm hoping for even more loss in the next couple of days. But I do agree w/ ladybugnessa- phase 1 has definitely changed my eating habits & ended the cycle of eating & then having cravings!
  • Thanks Everyone, for your comments. They have really helped. I just still cannot understand why though. I even re read the book to ensure I was doing everything according to the book, and I am. I guess what I will keep in mind is that it is lose the cravings in Phase 1 and not the weight when I do go back to phase 1. My husband is up to 5.5 lbs and phase 1 ends tomorrow!! I really miss having my 12 grain toast in the morning and will probably do better on Phase 2 again. Thanks and have a great week, one and all!!!
  • just remember men lose faster than women. -
  • I don't know if what I found on another SB board will help explain the Phase of the south beach,but here they are.

Explaining the Phases of South Beach

Phase 1: The Strict Phase – For the first two weeks, eat normal-size helpings of meat, fish, poultry, vegetables, eggs, cheese, nuts, dairy, good fats, and more. The Phase 1 Foods To Enjoy list is extensive - this list is the foundation of your healthy food choices for life and doesn't change. Eat three meals a day, plus snacks, to keep your blood sugar levels consistent throughout the day. Eat until your hunger is satisfied. Desserts are allowed on this phase, including no-sugar-added Fudgsicles! Cravings for sugars and starches diminish and even disappear. Phase 1 is not meant to be used for more than two weeks.

Phase 2: The Weight-Loss Phase – Gradually reintroduce more “good” carbs into your diet from the Phase 2 Foods To Enjoy list, like fruits, whole-grain bread, high-fiber low-sugar cereal, whole-wheat pasta, brown rice and sweet potatoes. You're now eating a nutritious, well-balanced diet from both the Phase 1 and Phase 2 Foods To Enjoy lists. Learn to avoid the carbs that increase your blood sugar and make you gain weight. Typically, this phase allows for a weight loss of 1/2 - 2 pounds per week until you reach your ideal weight. Eating the right foods regularly thoughout the day helps rev up metabolism and makes you a fuel-burning machine. You'll have energy to spare. Exercise is highly encouraged and will increase metabolism, too. Eat treats while losing weight, such as SBD-friendly peanut butter cookies, sugar-free chocolate pudding and homemade muffins!

Phase 3: The Maintenance Phase – By the time the final phase of the diet is reached, blood chemistry is significantly improved (cholesterol and triglycerides) and there is a long-term benefit to the cardiovascular system. A condition called pre-diabetes, a fast-growing affliction among Americans, can be reversed. Continue to eat normal portions of healthy foods. Indulgences are allowed and aren’t considered “cheating”, because South Beach was designed to be a way of eating, for life. However, by this phase, an awareness of how foods affect the body has developed, and we know how to quickly get back on track after indulging. Many South Beachers experience a real change in their tastes for food over time, and no longer crave many of their old comfort foods the way they once did.

Hugs BB