Starting South beach on Monday!

• Hi everyone! I have been surfing 3fatchicks and am so happy that this place exists and that you all are here sharing your advice, encouragement and tips! Now that summer is approaching and I have tried to put on my summer clothes, I realise that my weight has gotten out of control. I dug out my scale this morning and dusted it off, stepped on and discovered that I have, for the first time in my life topped 200 lbs! I am devastated! But seeing that number has got me more determined than EVER to get my act together and start on my weight loss journey.
    After having my kids I had used WW to drop those pesky 10-15 lbs, and was always successful, yet hungry!!!!! Now here I am at a point in my life where I have NO energy to play with the kids, and have not been really all that happy and social .....it's time for a lifestyle change! It seems to me that South Beach is more of a life style change than a diet.
    My 8 y.o. son has had problems with his weight since he was 3 y.o. He LOVES to eat! I have taken him to the doctor many times and all of his blood work comes back as normal, have taken him to the nutritionist and she said I was giving him all the right foods and to not worry, his weight would even out as he grew. Well, here we are three yrs later and he is getting heavier and so am I! After reading the South Beach book this week, I think our problem is the sugar and bad carbs. Anyone out there who have kids with the same problem?
    I know I will need your encouragement especially during the next 2 weeks! So glad you all are here!
  • to 3FC and to The Beach. Be sure to peruse the stickies in this forum and in the FAQ - there's lots of info and hints to be had.
  • , LM! Love your avatar...Eeyore is one of my favorites...

I think you can easily modify P2 and SBD ideals for your son. Talk with Barb, when you see her on here, to find out what she does for her son. I don't believe he has a weight problem, but he does eat SBD-safe food a lot of the time. I think you'll also really get a lot out of reading "Don't Eat This Book!" by Morgan (forgot his last name!), the guy who did the Supersize Me movie. It's got a ton of info on kids and obesity and how to help them.

Glad to have you with us! Great that you're starting now. When I saw the scale go over 200, I just gave up...and gained a lot more. Glad you're doing this now.
  • Luc's Mom! Lots of delish recipes to help ya get started! If you have any questions, you're sure to get it answered here!
  • Luc's Mom. I am on the 4th day of Phase I. I have been here before, but am totally determined now. It's a very easy life style change so far. I use these boards and all the information like a Bible and it truly helps. I don't know nearly as much as the people on here, but I sure can give you the support! Good Luck and hope to see you here again soon.

JPS
  • Thank you for the warm welcome and the suggestions! I am so excited to start SBD on Monday, want to start now, but I realise after reading all of the great posts here that I need to make a meal plan, clean out the pantry and restock.
    Beachgal, I will have to get in touch with Barb. I am sure she will have some great recipes for kids. *thanks*
    As for my son, his major problem is compulsive eating. He does get alot of physical activity....it's just he won't eat one LF yogurt...he will eat 10 in one day! So, my thinking is that if I follow the SBD food plan, he won't likely eat 10 plain yogurts....or 8 slices of 100%whole grain wheat bread. He does eat alot of fruit, but I have been buying the fruits that have too much natural sugars in them. And as far as the healthy cereals that I thought I had been buying all along, well I checked the sugar content in them and there is ALOT more sugar than I had would have thought! Gotta read those labels!
    Any suggestions as to what I can have with my breakfast besides V8 juice??????????? I love it in soups, but NOT to drink straight from the bottle! Thanks ladies!
  • Hello all! I joined the starting phase one board last weekend, but am starting over this weekend due to an incident last night with lasagna rolls, bread, and plenty of wine. What to do when friends have you over for dinner and everything is off plan? Not to blame them, I didn't do a great job the few days before either. So now, here I am, bound and determined to do this. I revived my gym membership, and have worked out the last 2 days, and plan on continuing. It's now or never!!
  • Luc's Mom,

Do you want to be phase 1 buddies? I need someone besides dh to report to, or else I will probably give up! Dh and I are starting phase 1 Sunday, but 1 day should not make much difference. I am heading to Barnes and Noble to flip throught the SBD cook books and read the phase 1 updates (I have the original SBD book). DH and I are also going to work out at least 30 minutes a day during Phase 1. Good Luck to you!
  • Hi LaRay/ Tori,
    Sure! I would love to have a ph1 buddy. I went to B&N last night and flipped through the SBD books among other low GI books. I was lucky, my mom gave me the 1st book and the 'orange' cookbook. I bought the updated companion guide, that will be a godsend for me. The new yellow SBD cookbook looks good too, although I didn't buy it since there are so many recipes here online. There were a couple of low GI cookbooks that I may purchase for ph 2. I don't remember the exact titles, but I think one is 'low GI index dieting for Dummies'.
    As for working out, I plan on walking with my 8 yo son, and I have yoga cds and a workout machine that I am going to dust off (<---bought it last year, never used, go figure) LOL I am going to start with 3 days a week, alternate walking with workouts and see how that goes.
    Best of luck to you and your DH! Cheers to us!
  • Welcome
    Hi, Luc's Mom--

I'm just starting SB today--welcome, welcome. I love the idea of a board like this so we can all support each other!

I've found with my kids the best thing to do is to keep them off the processed carbs and get them eating fresh, whole foods as much as possible. The more they get used to the processed stuff the harder it is to get them off it in my experience.

Maybe you and your son can find SB foods you both like to eat? You can make it kind of a fun, sharing thing between the two of you,

Best of luck and see you around the board.

~Maribelle~