South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 11:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/178/140

Thumbs up Went shopping to get started...

I'm starting Monday I would go ahead and start today but Mother's Day we are having a fish fry so I don't want to start something and screw up right away, KWIM?
So I got lots of cucumbers, lettuce, tuna, chicken breast, tomatoes, celery, turkey bacon, canadian bacon and eggs.
Any other suggestions or must haves before I start on Monday?
Wish me luck please! I'm so worried about the first two weeks and being able to stick to it.
My sister is on this diet and is helping...good thing 'cause I'm gonna need it.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #2  

Make sure you have enough dairy - either plain yogurt or skim or 1% milk. You can add Splenda and cinnamon to the yogurt or SF jello powder or Crystal Light powder. You can add SF syrups or vanilla to the milk if you like some flavor.

You also want to get some veggies that have carbs such as black beans or make a 3 bean salad with kidney beans, green beans and wax beans. You can even add garbanzo beans (chick peas) to it if you like to make it a 4 bean salad.

You don't want to go into ketosis by eliminating too many carbs. This is a healthy carb diet, not a low carb one even in phase 1.

Check out the recipes for phase 1 in the recipe forum. Taco Bake is popular and there are lots of other good recipes.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hotmama, you are doing great by preparing ahead and planning for success!

Check out the Emergency Guide to Phase 1 in the FAQ for lots of good info and some of our favorite P1 recipes (the taco bake is delish!). You may also want to stock up on SF Jell-O, No Sugar Added (NSA) Fudgesicles (get the brand name, not a store brand), SF Cool-Whip or Cool-Whip Free, and tons of beans! If you like them, you'll find bell peppers helpful too. You can munch on them with hummus (YUM!) and the good carbs in both of them will help you feel less woozy while the protein in the hummus keeps you full longer and the bell peppers fill you up!

I find string cheese (part skim) indispensible on SBD. Luncheon meat that's free of sugar (get it at the deli counter instead of the prepackaged kind and ask for the ingredients list) like turkey or roasted chicken can be helpful too...you can add it to salads or roll it around some veggies for a snack.

Don't forget nuts or natural peanut butter.

With all this preparation and planning, you'll do great!
Old 05-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/186/165

HotMamma- i agree with the previous sentiments posted, planning ahead and filling your kitchen with SBD approved foods really makes the first few weeks easier. So Good for you. I found that eating vegetables at every meal really made a difference and helped me to feel satisfied. In the morning I usually have low sodium V8 as my vegetable. Nuts were good when I craved more texture or crunch in my food. In the beginning, I missed sweets (maybe mentally if not physically) and the SB peanut butter cup was crucial). Now, I truly don't seem to want sweets that often, which is a total miracle to me.

I started in March, my first experience with SB and I was truly surprised by how quickly my body adjusted and how satisfied and comfortable I felt. I was used to feeling deprived and hungary while dieting. And the best part is I feel so much healthier and in a better mood.

So good job with planning ahead, you will do great.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #5  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I suggest radishes to make "homefries" with and caulflower to make "popcorn" cauliflower with (roasted cauliflower) and also ricotta cheese (lite) for dairy and protein so you can make mock french toast because you will soon get sick of bacon and eggs for breakfast everyday. Also there is a great sauce you can put on your green beans or other veggies made from (carb free) dijon and balsamic vinigar....those are some of *my fave recipes that I've tried so far in the recipe section. I stocked up too! Last night I bought 6 buschels of radishes and 2 heads of cauliflower cuz these particular dishes are soooo good! the dash of crystal lite in the yogurt is really great too

Good luck!
Closed Thread